Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: TDK] #7470982 03/28/19 01:18 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TDK
If you can afford a $120,000 gun, you can afford the couple thousand dollar refresh every 20yrs.

Fall and break the stock...$5000-$8000 is daily play money. Barrel reblacking...$1000. Stock refinish...$1000.

I have one client who has a collection of over 1000 guns, mostly high end, some with absurd prominence(presidents, writers, musicians foreign leaders, etc),. Even military type stuff including two tanks, trucks, etc...I do the more complex work his full-time in house gunsmith/reloader/authenticators can’t do. He hunts a crazy amount of days a year, so stuff gets used. A couple thousand bucks ain’t nothing.
Honestly I’m surprised he hasn’t hired me yet!

It’s all relative...

Yes, yes it is.

I’m just the type, that if I had the money to buy a six-figure firearm, I’d wear the finish off and shoot anyone that tried to put it back on.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: Sneaky] #7470996 03/28/19 01:27 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by TDK
If you can afford a $120,000 gun, you can afford the couple thousand dollar refresh every 20yrs.

Fall and break the stock...$5000-$8000 is daily play money. Barrel reblacking...$1000. Stock refinish...$1000.

I have one client who has a collection of over 1000 guns, mostly high end, some with absurd prominence(presidents, writers, musicians foreign leaders, etc),. Even military type stuff including two tanks, trucks, etc...I do the more complex work his full-time in house gunsmith/reloader/authenticators can’t do. He hunts a crazy amount of days a year, so stuff gets used. A couple thousand bucks ain’t nothing.
Honestly I’m surprised he hasn’t hired me yet!

It’s all relative...

Yes, yes it is.

I’m just the type, that if I had the money to buy a six-figure firearm, I’d wear the finish off and shoot anyone that tried to put it back on.

If i had that kind of money I'd buy a Weatherby and invest the rest of it bsck into whatever venture made me rich.

120,000 guns are for billionaires, far as I am concerned.

But they are nice!

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7471032 03/28/19 01:56 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Yeah, well, who doesn’t want to be a billionaire?

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: Sneaky] #7471071 03/28/19 02:16 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Yeah, well, who doesn’t want to be a billionaire?

U right.

If i was a billionaire i probably wouldn't shoot nothing but $120,000 rifles. Keep a few weatherby's around for loaners.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: LeonCarr] #7471401 03/28/19 03:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
What can that 120,000 dollar barbecue shotgun do that a Remington 870 can't?

It can hold fewer shells. That is it.

Lots of nice rifles on this thread. I really haven't seen one that a bone stock Savage wouldn't outshoot.

Go over show. I am not impressed by bougie bougie rifles. I am impressed by rifles with half the finish worn off from handling and shooting.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

I've always enjoyed the fact the $10 watches that I buy at Walmart keep better time than a ridiculously expensive Rolex. While the best Rolex watches offer an accuracy of plus or minus 2 seconds a day, a cheap watch with a quartz movement can cut that accuracy in half.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: Texas Dan] #7471449 03/28/19 04:04 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Lots of nice rifles on this thread. I really haven't seen one that a bone stock Savage wouldn't outshoot.

Go over show. I am not impressed by bougie bougie rifles. I am impressed by rifles with half the finish worn off from handling and shooting.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

I've always enjoyed the fact the $10 watches that I buy at Walmart keep better time than a ridiculously expensive Rolex. While the best Rolex watches offer an accuracy of plus or minus 2 seconds a day, a cheap watch with a quartz movement can cut that accuracy in half.

your really saying that a $10 watch will outperform a watch like a Rolex? I don't own a Rolex, but that's ridiculous.

we bought my son one of those $10 watches from Wal-Mart and my microwave keeps better time than it does.

Nothing wrong with a $10 watch, but the comparison isn't even close

Comparing $10 watches and 870 Remingtons to Rolex's and ultra premiuim O/U shotguns is laughable.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 03/28/19 04:07 PM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7471492 03/28/19 04:40 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I think the point he was making is that sometimes, you actually sacrifice function for elegance/extravagance.

My nice Seiko watch actually keeps pretty poor time. I think it was $250-ish new, but I got it on clearance for about $75 or so. I lose about a minute a week. Pretty annoying actually. I eventually decided to go get a Citizen with atomic timekeeping that syncs with a radio signal every night to reset the time. So even though it does gain about 1.5 seconds a day, it's back to perfect in the morning. Love that watch.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7471543 03/28/19 05:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Form usually follows function. Not always, but usually. If it doesn’t, the company is not likely to be around long. IMO that’s true of most all consumer goods.

The finest guns start with function as the baseline and the bling like engraving, stock quality, etc. is just the icing on the cake. There is nothing that compares to a true quality gun. The balance, action feel, solidity, all of it....

Open and shut a Yildiz.
Open and shut a Beretta.
Open and shut a Purdey.

Work the action on a Mossberg Patriot.
Work the action on a pre-64 Model 70.
Work the action on an early Rigby with a Mauser 98 action.

The differences immediately become apparent.

Now, are those differences worth the price? That all depends on everyone’s individual situation and priorities.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: txtrophy85] #7471567 03/28/19 06:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

You're really saying that a $10 watch will outperform a watch like a Rolex?

Comparing $10 watches and 870 Remingtons to Rolex's and ultra premiuim O/U shotguns is laughable.

If the primary need is for something that keeps time and stays accurate then absolutely. The earlier quoted figures are correct, a quartz watch has better accuracy that a mechanical-built Rolex.

The world is full of guys who would quickly attest how much they value a firearm they picked up at a pawn shop because it has always performed flawlessly at every time of need. And then there are those who would never consider purchasing a firearm at a pawn shop. Neither is better or worse for it.

I'm reminded of the late Sam Walton who drove an old pickup to visit each of his stores. I was told by a co-worker who owned the Walmart account that Sam carried his dog in that pickup and that the dog had chewed all the plastic off the truck's steering wheel. I'm sure seldom did Sam feel a need for greater performance or looks warranted him replacing that steering wheel, much less the truck itself. It got him where he needed to go and that was mattered most.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/28/19 07:51 PM.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: Texas Dan] #7471649 03/28/19 07:47 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

If the primary need is for something that keeps time and stays accurate then absolutely.

The world is full of guys who would quickly attest how much they value a firearm they picked up at a pawn shop because it has always performed flawlessly at every time of need. And then there are those who would never consider purchasing a firearm at a pawn shop. Neither is better or worse for it.

I'm reminded of the late Sam Walton who drove an old pickup to visit each of his stores. I was told he carried his old dog in that pickup and that the dog had chewed all the plastic off the truck's steering wheel during all those times when Sam left him waiting outside. I'm sure seldom did Sam feel a need for greater performance warranted replacing that steering wheel, much less the truck itself. It got him where he needed to go and that was mattered to him most.

so because Sam Walton drove around in a chewed up old truck, that means that's all a person needs?

His kids also own private planes, yachts and other toys....what does that say about dear old dad?

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: txtrophy85] #7471660 03/28/19 07:55 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

If the primary need is for something that keeps time and stays accurate then absolutely.

I'm reminded of the late Sam Walton who drove an old pickup to visit each of his stores. I was told he carried his old dog in that pickup and that the dog had chewed all the plastic off the truck's steering wheel during all those times when Sam left him waiting outside. I'm sure seldom did Sam feel a need for greater performance warranted replacing that steering wheel, much less the truck itself. It got him where he needed to go and that was mattered to him most.

so because Sam Walton drove around in a chewed up old truck, that means that's all a person needs?

His kids also own private planes, yachts and other toys....what does that say about dear old dad?

It doesn't take much to make some folks happy, while others can never have enough.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/28/19 07:55 PM.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7471719 03/28/19 08:25 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
and that has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread. it was about aesthetics, not the cost of ones sporting arm.

you can have a rifle that many will find appealing visually and it not be overly expensive.

The Ruger rifle the OP was referring to is not a high dollar rifle by any means, although it is not a entry level rifle.

Maybe it would more acceptable if he let his dog chew on the stock for a bit.....

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7471991 03/29/19 01:13 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’m actually pretty happy with the fact that so many of you guys like butt-ugly rifles. Leaves more pretty ones for those that don’t.

[Linked Image]
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7472002 03/29/19 01:19 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
I’m actually pretty happy with the fact that so many of you guys like butt-ugly rifles. Leaves more pretty ones for those that don’t.

It's in the eye of the beer holder

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7472014 03/29/19 01:27 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Form usually follows function. Not always, but usually. If it doesn’t, the company is not likely to be around long. IMO that’s true of most all consumer goods.

The finest guns start with function as the baseline and the bling like engraving, stock quality, etc. is just the icing on the cake. There is nothing that compares to a true quality gun. The balance, action feel, solidity, all of it....

Open and shut a Yildiz.
Open and shut a Beretta.
Open and shut a Purdey.

Now, are those differences worth the price? That all depends on everyone’s individual situation and priorities.

I agree with you. Especially with that last sentence.

And now that you mention it, the yikdiz .410 sxs is probably one of the nicest looking guns in the $1500 price range (to me). I just want it because it's so light, would be a lot of fun to use for rabbit hunting and stuff like that. But I bet it would fail ten times over before a Perazzi.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7472120 03/29/19 03:36 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

Open and shut a Yildiz.
Open and shut a Beretta.
Open and shut a Purdey.

Once again, very well stated.

I don’t understand why this is even up for debate. Those making six-figure firearms are not berating those that don’t have any desire to own them, nor are those that buy them. Why do the folks that have no desire to own them feel the need to turn their noses down on something so fine? I can’t imagine ever spending that kind of money on a firearm, regardless of my financial means, but I’ll always stop by the more expensive booths at any show to gaze at and, if allowed, handle the finer works of art. If you can’t appreciate that sort of thing, that’s fine. Just don’t act like it’s a sin for one man to own a gun that costs more than your single-wide.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7472128 03/29/19 03:43 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I'd never stay in no damn trailer.

That's why I got me a van down by the river.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7472130 03/29/19 03:44 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: txtrophy85] #7473303 03/30/19 06:09 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

your really saying that a $10 watch will outperform a watch like a Rolex? I don't own a Rolex, but that's ridiculous.

we bought my son one of those $10 watches from Wal-Mart and my microwave keeps better time than it does.

Nothing wrong with a $10 watch, but the comparison isn't even close

I have owned 2 Rolex watches. Horrible time keepers. That isn't why people buy them though... up

LETS GO BRANDON
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide