Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7468681 03/25/19 08:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
Some of you guys make it sound like you look down at what firearm you're holding in your hands at the time and decide if you want to take care of it or not. I'm just as careful with my POS synthetic as I am with my custom Mauser. And vice-versa.

These threads always devolve into the "Son, I ain't got no use for good-looking guns. They're just tools. And I don't a-want no gun that I have to be keerful with. Nor a truck like it, either!".

There must be some utilitarian-looking spouses associated with THF members the way some of you guys talk.

LMAO!

There are guys who appreciate fine pieces of work and guys who don't. The guys who don't will usually let it be known.

I look at it like this....a gun is a tool. A tool that gets carried around a lot. So if I'm gonna carry it around a lot I want it to look good. Even my synthetic stocked rifles look good. like most things I own, It doesent have the be the shiniest thing around but I do have to tolerate looking at it so I make my selections based accordingly.

Someone once said on here "life is too short to hunt with ugly rifles" . I tend to agree

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: wp75169] #7468689 03/25/19 08:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by wp75169
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I admire and hold with high regard the quality in terms of materials and craftsmanship of fine wood stocks, scrolling, inlays etc, Just not for me to own. It’s a tool, I’d take an ol’ Lincoln Classic 300d welder over a fancy looking New Bobcat for the same reason. All my high end OU’s are even just base models also.

Fancy just means you have to work harder at keeping it fancy then actually doing the work itself.

You pretty much nailed what I was thinking.

I do love a custom 98 though. I would say for me it’s the #1 aesthetically pleasing rifle I can think of.

For the longest time my dream rifle was a Dakota 10, cant tell you how many times I almost bought one, called. And talked to them etc.

... some were over the last decade or two I started to realize to truly appreciate something it means to use it for exactly what it was designed for, unfortunately and fortunately for me that’s a hard life, so I couldn’t make my self take a Dakota 10 with exhibit grade wood and take it 10 days hunting mule deer in the desert then 10 days in mountains hunting elk and then sand blasting it again chasing antelope, then knocking it over in a deer blind and beating the hell out of in a high rack or pickup cab, on top of that would be mediocre accurate compared to my synthetic and stainless steel systems

Rifles are just like custom spurs, a custom spur maker hates collectors, they want to see thier tools being used exactly what they are for. Wooden deke makers are same way.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7468692 03/25/19 08:50 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Some of you guys make it sound like you look down at what firearm you're holding in your hands at the time and decide if you want to take care of it or not. I'm just as careful with my POS synthetic as I am with my custom Mauser. And vice-versa.

These threads always devolve into the "Son, I ain't got no use for good-looking guns. They're just tools. And I don't a-want no gun that I have to be keerful with. Nor a truck like it, either!".

There must be some utilitarian-looking spouses associated with THF members the way some of you guys talk.

I for the record I don’t consider my wife a tool to use or own.

I wouldnt sell any truck I’ve owned to any one I know either. I kind of rough on them.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468695 03/25/19 08:53 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Some simply have to be contrarians. It’s not an “either/or” proposition.

An aesthetically pleasing gun doesn’t have to be inaccurate or expensive.

What’s ironic is that all the butt-ugly military style platforms are all the rage - and they were never designed for accuracy to begin with.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468697 03/25/19 08:55 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've hunted all over the country from the desert to the high mountains to the swamps and everything in between.

I've never been to a place where my guns get "beat up"

my Ruger has its fair share of scratches for a 20+ year old gun.....most of them were acquired from riding around in a open top jeep for miles thru South Texas. of course a soft case would have mitigated this. But even I would not consider it "beat up" just not in showroom quality anymore

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468708 03/25/19 09:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My 40 year old Sako has killed most of my animals and still looks fine.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: txtrophy85] #7468717 03/25/19 09:11 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I've hunted all over the country from the desert to the high mountains to the swamps and everything in between.

I've never been to a place where my guns get "beat up"

my Ruger has its fair share of scratches for a 20+ year old gun.....most of them were acquired from riding around in a open top jeep for miles thru South Texas. of course a soft case would have mitigated this. But even I would not consider it "beat up" just not in showroom quality anymore

Everyone hunts differently just like everyone’s vehicle life’s differ.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468721 03/25/19 09:22 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I own one rifle with a wood stock...a Marlin Model 60 given to me by my Dad.

Everything else is matte finish, fiberglass stock, designed for low maintenance and minimal point of impact shift.

I have seen bone stock Savages on multiple occasions out shoot some crazy expensive custom rifles.

I once saw a guy with a blonde wood stock non accutrigger Savage 110 .243 with a nikon prostaff scope outshoot a guy with a Robar SR-90 with a Nightforce. The Robar owner was mad beyond belief. At the end of the day it is not the song, its the singer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7468749 03/25/19 09:50 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Rifles are just like custom spurs, a custom spur maker hates collectors, they want to see thier tools being used exactly what they are for. Wooden deke makers are same way.

Just like TDK telling me I was insulting him by saying his guns were too pretty to use. You're right.

I wouldnt sell any truck I’ve owned to any one I know either. I kind of rough on them.

Anyone that knows you wouldn't want your truck either grin

I like having cool stuff...what's cool to me might not be to Bobo or anyone else.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: Judd] #7468754 03/25/19 09:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Judd

Just like TDK telling me I was insulting him by saying his guns were too pretty to use. You're right.

Anyone that knows you wouldn't want your truck either grin

I like having cool stuff...what's cool to me might not be to Bobo or anyone else.

Exactly. So while saying aesthetics doesn’t matter to some doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong or elitist if others feel differently. There’s certainly no sense in implying nice rifles can’t shoot or nice rifles are all expensive or nice rifles can’t be used by real hunters because real hunters tear their rifles up, or etc., etc., etc.......

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468769 03/25/19 10:15 PM
G
GusWayne Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
I mentioned Savages don’t appeal to me in appearance, because to me they barfed out a rifle on the assembly line when they made the bulk of them

Some read my disdain for their appearance as they don’t shoot roflmao

I never said that or even implied it!

Some rifles just are prettier than others and I prefer the prettier ones mostly

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468770 03/25/19 10:16 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I too have always liked the Ruger 77 with the mat wood finish and nice lines. The Remmy 700 classic is nice as well. I've always been a fan of Remmys but never cared for the ultra glossy stocks on the BDL and older ADL.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7468776 03/25/19 10:22 PM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

I for the record I don’t consider my wife a tool to use or own.

Comparing your wife to a rifle is reaching quite a bit. My wife is my better half. I would rather spend an extra $200 on her than buy a stock that looks nicer than what I have. My rifles are not in a glass case and they are for me to hunt with and shoot at paper. Most of the time, I do those things on my own or with a few friends. I couldn’t care less what it looks like as long as it does what I want it to do. And that is shoot accurately and without issues.

Nobody said there aren’t some guns that look nicer than others. I just don’t get why a synthetic stocked Savage is bashed on as being ugly when a synthetic Ruger looks basically the same.

For what it’s worth, I like the way my AR15s look better than my bolt actions. And most people would say that AR15s are ugly. Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468783 03/25/19 10:34 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This was a zeroing shot at 100 yards this morning. Does it really matter what the rifle looks like that made it?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: J.G.] #7468787 03/25/19 10:37 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
This was a zeroing shot at 100 yards this morning. Does it really matter what the rifle looks like that made it?

[Linked Image]

what does that prove?

a hunting rifle only needs to be so accurate. at normal hunting ranges there is not a scenario where a 1/2" MOA rifle will outperform a 1" MOA rifle

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468788 03/25/19 10:42 PM
W
wp75169 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
BOBO your Dakota 10 is my Cooper. I still want the dang thing but will likely never buy it.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: txtrophy85] #7468793 03/25/19 10:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

[Linked Image]

what does that prove?

a hunting rifle only needs to be so accurate. at normal hunting ranges there is not a scenario where a 1/2" MOA rifle will outperform a 1" MOA rifle

And yourself has touted shot placement, same as anyone else. But, I do kill animals farther than "normal hunting ranges", so I'll give you that. But I will take an "ugly one" that shoots like that over a pretty one that won't. And yes aesthetically pleasing ones can too.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468805 03/25/19 11:02 PM
G
GusWayne Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
Not to beat this dead horse but anything in a laminate stock does not appeal to me either

How they even sell them I’ve never understood

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: J.G.] #7468858 03/25/19 11:40 PM
R
Ryan F. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

[Linked Image]

I agree 100%. From a synthetic stock, factory "ugly" gun. I did use my hand loads but still...

[Linked Image]

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468876 03/25/19 11:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^^^^

Every rifle in my safe will do that at 100 yards. Again what does that prove?

I’m not seeing the point or what at all it is to do with rifle aesthetics?

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: Ryan F.] #7468877 03/25/19 11:51 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Excellent!

Go before show is my thing.

Not everyone shares the same attitude, and that's cool.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: J.G.] #7468879 03/25/19 11:54 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^^Excellent!

Go before show is my thing.

Not everyone shares the same attitude, and that's cool.

#golfclap

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468882 03/25/19 11:54 PM
G
GusWayne Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
Ryan F, you could be too sensitive for this thread.

If so, just move on.

Btw, not a single person has claimed synthetic stocks make rifles ugly

Not a single claim of that.

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468883 03/25/19 11:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The original topic was what is your personal head turner based on looks.

Then we had to get into the justification of why people own cheap/ugly rifles and then we get pictures of a X with a bullet hole in it

Re: Let’s rifle talk asthetics [Re: GusWayne] #7468885 03/25/19 11:57 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
Synthetic stocks make rifles ugly.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide