Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,744
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7431995 02/12/19 04:22 PM
C
coyotekiller Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I extend the bedding about two inches in front of lug on all rifles. Never had a problem with them walking when heated, that's why they're bedded in the first place.

HD Coating & Firearms
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: howl] #7432007 02/12/19 04:29 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by howl
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by howl
Just in the interest of confusion, some of these flimsy stocks get flimsier if you add epoxy or whatever else to the forend to make it stiff. The problem can be that making the forend stiff enough to not flex, makes it a lever that flexes the stock material aft of the lug; usually around the magazine well. If there's a point to this, it may be that bedding a rifle isn't necessarily one-size-fits-all and there's more than one way to do it.

I would not bed in the forearm, and NOT bed the action area, for the very reason you mentioned. Working on the forearm is secondary to the action bedding, IMO.

Bedding the action doesn't help a whole lot when the side of the stock pull it away from the action when there is pressure on the forend.

There are many stocks that just cannot tolerate a bipod. Which is why I have lots of money invested in quality, stiff forearm stocks. The more flexible ones have to be shot off a large front bag supporting the rifle from trigger guard to 12" out. Bedding the action area, on those will not hurt.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: coyotekiller] #7432060 02/12/19 05:24 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by coyotekiller
I extend the bedding about two inches in front of lug on all rifles. Never had a problem with them walking when heated, that's why they're bedded in the first place.

Is the barrel bedded these 2", and resting on the bedding material? Or is the bedding extended these 2" but free floated?

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7432154 02/12/19 06:51 PM
S
spankyttx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
it's kinda funny redneck, i also had a rod stiffener in mind but wouldn't know if anyone has tried it or not

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: spankyttx] #7432166 02/12/19 07:07 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by spankyttx
it's kinda funny redneck, i also had a rod stiffener in mind but wouldn't know if anyone has tried it or not

I believe Buzz has bolt

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7432226 02/12/19 07:58 PM
C
coyotekiller Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Originally Posted by coyotekiller

Is the barrel bedded these 2", and resting on the bedding material? Or is the bedding extended these 2" but free floated?

The barrel is bedded, only about 1/2 of the chamber area.

HD Coating & Firearms
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7432277 02/12/19 08:36 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: Judd] #7432390 02/12/19 10:12 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by spankyttx

I feel like I got this idea off of someone on youtube. i was actually thinking plate/strip would be better and align it vertically to the centerline of the stock. Furthermore, if you can find some way to put holes or perforate the plate/strip, then it would provide additional points for mechanically locking the stiffening steel to the bedding and the bedding mechanically to the stock

Originally Posted by Judd

Totally read this article and highly considered full vs limited points of contact. Once again as a layman shooter but has some formal structural training...
This particular example and action has 3 contact points. If one assumes all 3 pillars/holes/support points are active and inline, then I would fully bed. And by that logic extend the bedding footprint to match a harmonics I can make consistent makes sense. Otherwise no, if there are only 2 supports, then i want to minimize contact between stock and barreled action to the smalle footprint i can make.
Rationale: the 3 pillar action are all inline, therefore the problem often referred to as statically indeterminant. The third support causes this. So if I only had 2 supports (which I do on my savage), then I do NOT want a full length bed in fact I want to try to minimize contact to to equally distributed load at the identical footprint but each connection point as strong as possible. If there were more than 2 supports, ie statically indeterminant, then I'd do the full length bedding.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug? [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7432530 02/13/19 12:22 AM
T
TexasUplander Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
My BR guns that weren't glued in were bedded in front of the lug a couple of inches. They shot as good as anyone's though I didn't always. Never had any consistency issues. As long as he doesn't bed the bottom of the lug, you should be GTG. The nice thing is. If you do have issues, 5 minutes will remove the bedding in front of the lug and you can see if thats what it was!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide