Forums46
Topics538,069
Posts9,732,611
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7411965 01/22/19 09:44 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I’m proud to say that I introduced 4 new hunters to responsible deer hunting this season. But I would never take or help someone with your outlook.

Your attitude & expectations are so out of whack, as to be completely unrealistic on numerous points.

Your idiotic attitude toward “trophy hunters” shows your jealousy. What you call a “game”, is just good stewardship & common sense, both are completely alien to you, obviously.

It’s odd that your a complete noobie, but so adamant in your delusions. You should really listen to the good advice you’ve been given, think about why your wrong, & try to adjust your attitude.

I do take some schadenfreude (sp?) in knowing that you’ll likely never find a lease or buy a place.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 01/22/19 09:47 PM.
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7412005 01/22/19 10:38 PM
10 Gauge Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
I’m proud to say that I introduced 4 new hunters to responsible deer hunting this season. But I would never take or help someone with your outlook.

Your attitude & expectations are so out of whack, as to be completely unrealistic on numerous points.

Your idiotic attitude toward “trophy hunters” shows your jealousy. What you call a “game”, is just good stewardship & common sense, both are completely alien to you, obviously.

It’s odd that your a complete noobie, but so adamant in your delusions. You should really listen to the good advice you’ve been given, think about why your wrong, & try to adjust your attitude.

I do take some schadenfreude (sp?) in knowing that you’ll likely never find a lease or buy a place.

My attitude is derived from yours!

My expectations have already been tempered by some of the more friendly advice from others in the thread.

I have seen hundreds of deer Just in the last couple years. I've killed only one. If "if its brown its down" applied to me then I'd be lving on venison.

I'll have no problems finding a place to hunt.

I care more about the sustanability of the deer herd than you think. But I onviously don't know a whole heck of a lot about it.

I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with trophy hunting, let me make that conpletely clear. Jealous, no. Envy, abso freaking lutely! If you don't covet some of the trophies you have seen you are probably not a hunter.

My problem specifically with trophy deer management is that it makes deer hunting cost prohibitive for the average working stiff. I would spend my money on a nilgai hunt or even a good hog hunt before I paid that kind of money to take a trophy buck. Later in down the road, who knows?

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Rustler] #7412024 01/22/19 11:04 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Rustler
Tagging out is not at all a taboo subject.
Tagging out on 40 acres anywhere near DFW is basically a ludicrous expectation, it shows either a lack of experience or an I don't care about sustainability of the deer herd in the area / if its brown its down attitude.
The later will make it difficult to find any lease.
As a responsible hunter you have to understand or at least have a good idea of a given areas deer density, some areas will support 5 deer killed on 40 acres, some 3 - 5 deer 300+ acres, others might be 1 - 3 deer on 640+ ac.

Finding a lease when you have no leads or contacts isn’t easy, never said it was, you have to put in the work.
You have to get out and look in areas you’d like lease, stop in feed stores, pick up local papers, check the chamber of commerce web sites, put up a lease wanted add on bulletin boards in feed & farm & ranch stores maybe in a local newspaper, meet people, ask friends & associates if they have any leads.
You have to have cash in hand & be willing to go look at what’s offered immediately.
Leases are in high demand, waiting until next weekend or 2 weeks from now is the best way to miss out on an opportunity.
This forum ' Lands & Leases ' is a good place to keep an eye on. You have to read back through several pages to see if there is anything interesting, visit everyday to see if anything new has been posted.

Mostly you have to have realistic expectations.
Put yourself in their shoes.
Do you think LO’s are actively searching for or want strangers with little experience to run around on their property with firearms whenever they feel like it?
Why would you lease land you own and to who? For what price?
You can't expect LO's to fall all over you with offers just because you want a cheap place to use as a recreational / hunting lease with your children.

I understand you're really not mainly focused on deer rather a place to take kids a have a good time.
Many family friendly leases exist, during deer season I doubt any will want folks walking around so you're limiting yourself to finding a place where you lease all the acreage offered for yourself.

I provided a link in one of your other threads to a site to search for buying a place of your own, land for sale is listed on many other sites including this one.

No matter what, it's going to take quite a bit of time & effort on your part to find lease or find a suitable place to buy.

Thanks for the link. I forgot about that. Also read the sticky about buying:financing land, and realised I am either gonna need a lease or strictly a squirrel hunter on public lands until I can afford my own spot. Always wanted to get into ducks and geese to, thats available on public land but I gotta get waders, decoys, etc and it's gonna be a process in and of itself. Which I am eager to experience but I think it's not gonna be great fun for the family until I get it figured out.

I get where you're coming from. Looks like you understand my position as well.

I understand that landowners are not looking for the likes of me and my family.

What I am looking for with this thread is cost vs. benefit and realistic expectations, so far I think you and some of the others have helped out with that alot.

All I can tell you is yeah, I am an inexperienced hunter. How can anybody fault me for that? I can for sure fault a couole of ya'll for being so standoffish. But specifically you and I, maybe we just got off on the wrong foot.

At least I'll remember this a few years down the road when a novice deer hunter pops in here looking for a place and a little bit of friendly advice. I swear I was not trying to troll ya'll.

I've always loved hunting and fishing, and dreamed of retiring in a place where I could get my groceries without going to the store wink Is that dream still achievable in Texas? I'd say so. Not near Dallas, unless you're a millionaire, haha.

In the meantime, until I have enough saved up, I'll be needing a spot so I can do my thing with the fam. and obviously as cheaply as possible so I can get a nice place in a few years.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412169 01/23/19 01:03 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by regularguy11B

Which part makes you sick? The part where I don't want to play the trophy bucks management game? Or the part where I am a steward of the land, picks up after others, etc.? The part where common folks have plenty of hunting opportunities in NC?

I would bet it's the part where I don't care to manage for trophy bucks. Because managing your land for trophy bucks is the number one most important thing right?

The part about tagging out on 20 - 40 acres goes against any stretch of the definition conservation or being a steward of the land.
You simply can't kill 5 deer per year on 40 acres of land that supports maybe 30 deer per section ( 640 square acres) without being detrimental to the herd.
640 / 30 = about 21 acres per deer.
Even if by chance you find a place near DFW that has a population of about 35 deer per section ( which is rare) 640 / 35 = 18 acres per deer.
So on your typical 40 acres near the DFW area 1 or 2 per year is about all you can expect without negatively impacting the deer herd in the area.

Taking more deer than the area can support is the exact opposite of being a steward of the land or conservation, throw in a couple of people doing the same as you in the area = a good way to find yourself basically deerless in a few years.

To find a place that can support 'tagging out' on 40 acres you will be outside of the area you've said you'd like to be in other threads.
There are high to over populated areas of the state that will support that.
Bottom line if you want to kill 3 - 5 deer per year off of 40 acres you'll have to look for a place in an area that can support that.

There is no such thing as 'the trophy bucks management game', sound deer management starts with healthy doe then fawns, the byproduct of that ends up with healthy bucks.
Nutrition, genetics & age allow them to produce antlers to their potential. Most spend considerable amounts improving the land to provide the best environment possible for the deer. That is land stewardship.
Those folks managing 'trophy' deer on properties around you will greatly improve what you see & kill.

There are plenty of hunting leases that don't go overboard on the trophy aspect of deer hunting, many that have no other restrictions other than the county game laws.
There are laws & restrictions in many counties that control what bucks can be killed, these restrictions are not trophy management.

If you're having to pick up after other people, you're on a really bad lease or trespassing is out of control on land you own.
Fixing either is real simple.

If you think other states have more opportunity for common folks to hunt thats where you should hunt.

I don't mean to be rude, you sound very inexperienced, most folks would love to find a couple hundred acres to buy or lease that borders a well managed ranch.

If you can't afford $1500 - $2500 per year for a lease, it's going to be hard to afford the $1000 - $3000 per month to buy, there is some public hunting lands in Tx.

I am inexperienced, absolutely. Indigent? No.

$1500 to hunt all year? What can you expect from a $1,500 a year lease? IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU PROVIDE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS LIKE THAT WHILE YOU ARE FLAMING ME! Even $2,500 sounds great if I have year round access and we can camp. I don't even care about the deer to be honest. But if I can't offset the cost to hunt with some wild vittles, I'll hunt elsewhere. Nilgai are looking good to me right now. Pigs too. Never killed a pig.

Don't mean to be rude? I think you do. I think a lot of ya'll do, good and ready to get the new guy that wants to tag out flagged and kicked off the forum. I don't think you care a whole lot about new hunters or the future of the sport. But- at least you present a good argumen and provide some insight as to why it's bad to even try to tag out.

Call me out on my threads? Am I contradicting myself? Please quote me. I'm ready to explain why and I as always, reserve the right to change my mind! I beet that you have contradicted yourself a few times in the last 4,000 posts, too!

Texas is where I will hunt.

You have been provided answers without rude ever being part of it. You just have an attitude that keeps you from reading and comprehending. Get your head out of your a$$ would be a good place to start over.

You have definitely eliminated yourself from ever hunting on any land I own or lease I am looking for hunters on. Congrats.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7412233 01/23/19 01:52 AM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Which part makes you sick? The part where I don't want to play the trophy bucks management game? Or the part where I am a steward of the land, picks up after others, etc.? The part where common folks have plenty of hunting opportunities in NC?

I would bet it's the part where I don't care to manage for trophy bucks. Because managing your land for trophy bucks is the number one most important thing right?

The part about tagging out on 20 - 40 acres goes against any stretch of the definition conservation or being a steward of the land.
You simply can't kill 5 deer per year on 40 acres of land that supports maybe 30 deer per section ( 640 square acres) without being detrimental to the herd.
640 / 30 = about 21 acres per deer.
Even if by chance you find a place near DFW that has a population of about 35 deer per section ( which is rare) 640 / 35 = 18 acres per deer.
So on your typical 40 acres near the DFW area 1 or 2 per year is about all you can expect without negatively impacting the deer herd in the area.

Taking more deer than the area can support is the exact opposite of being a steward of the land or conservation, throw in a couple of people doing the same as you in the area = a good way to find yourself basically deerless in a few years.

To find a place that can support 'tagging out' on 40 acres you will be outside of the area you've said you'd like to be in other threads.
There are high to over populated areas of the state that will support that.
Bottom line if you want to kill 3 - 5 deer per year off of 40 acres you'll have to look for a place in an area that can support that.

There is no such thing as 'the trophy bucks management game', sound deer management starts with healthy doe then fawns, the byproduct of that ends up with healthy bucks.
Nutrition, genetics & age allow them to produce antlers to their potential. Most spend considerable amounts improving the land to provide the best environment possible for the deer. That is land stewardship.
Those folks managing 'trophy' deer on properties around you will greatly improve what you see & kill.

There are plenty of hunting leases that don't go overboard on the trophy aspect of deer hunting, many that have no other restrictions other than the county game laws.
There are laws & restrictions in many counties that control what bucks can be killed, these restrictions are not trophy management.

If you're having to pick up after other people, you're on a really bad lease or trespassing is out of control on land you own.
Fixing either is real simple.

If you think other states have more opportunity for common folks to hunt thats where you should hunt.

I don't mean to be rude, you sound very inexperienced, most folks would love to find a couple hundred acres to buy or lease that borders a well managed ranch.

If you can't afford $1500 - $2500 per year for a lease, it's going to be hard to afford the $1000 - $3000 per month to buy, there is some public hunting lands in Tx.

I am inexperienced, absolutely. Indigent? No.

$1500 to hunt all year? What can you expect from a $1,500 a year lease? IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU PROVIDE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS LIKE THAT WHILE YOU ARE FLAMING ME! Even $2,500 sounds great if I have year round access and we can camp. I don't even care about the deer to be honest. But if I can't offset the cost to hunt with some wild vittles, I'll hunt elsewhere. Nilgai are looking good to me right now. Pigs too. Never killed a pig.

Don't mean to be rude? I think you do. I think a lot of ya'll do, good and ready to get the new guy that wants to tag out flagged and kicked off the forum. I don't think you care a whole lot about new hunters or the future of the sport. But- at least you present a good argumen and provide some insight as to why it's bad to even try to tag out.

Call me out on my threads? Am I contradicting myself? Please quote me. I'm ready to explain why and I as always, reserve the right to change my mind! I beet that you have contradicted yourself a few times in the last 4,000 posts, too!

Texas is where I will hunt.

You have been provided answers without rude ever being part of it. You just have an attitude that keeps you from reading and comprehending. Get your head out of your a$$ would be a good place to start over.

You have definitely eliminated yourself from ever hunting on any land I own or lease I am looking for hunters on. Congrats.

I read and comprehend perfectly fine. Like I previously stated, expectations tempered by advice. Not by your advice, however.

If you want to make it personal, that's on you friend. I hate to think what it's like to lease land from someone that treats people the way you do.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412308 01/23/19 03:04 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability to."

- regularguy11B

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412312 01/23/19 03:09 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
But which ammo would you use for Nilgai?

Sorry, back to topic.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412428 01/23/19 10:33 AM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Well I might have came in a little too strong to be fair! I just can't stand the way people treat you like a scab when you are a new guy, on an internet forum. Like forum status is an schievment or something.

I don't even know what I would use for nilgai. Did you miss the part where I have only ever taken one whitetail? I used a .243 for that... will probably use lightfield slugs for nilgai, haha! Or maybe invest in another rifle.

I have always wanted something in .338 Federal, or maybe .338/06. But I would probably just use a 30/06 and 220 grain corelokt, because it's affordable and plentiful. I could borrow a 30/06. Unless nilgai require more gun?

I love the threads about nilgai hunting on here. It sounds almost too good to be true.

For a couple thousand dollars you can do a fair chase hunt on a big ranch for a 450-650 pound beast that is more elusive than native game? And it's available year tound because it's an exotic... man that sounds great. And everybody says it has the best meat! Sounds too good to be true.

I have seen adds where you can take a second animal, cow, for just $400 on the internet.

The stipulation being, you have to be a good enough hunter to get that animal. I don't know what the odds are, but just for the experience it might be worth it.

If it were just about the chase, I'd be fine getting skunked on the nearest piece of public land, and sharing it with a million other local hunters. Plus a private lease adds a margin of safety, right? You would think so.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 01/23/19 10:41 AM.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412503 01/23/19 01:13 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Well I might have came in a little too strong to be fair! I just can't stand the way people treat you like a scab when you are a new guy, on an internet forum. Like forum status is an schievment or something

It’s not that you came on “a little too strong”. It’s that you started this thread knowing so much that ain’t so. There are dozens of new hunters here every year, & I’ve never seen them treated as poorly as you. It’s completely about your attitude. You wanna “tag out” on 40 acres, all else be damned. Then you insult 95% of the hunters here with a bunch of tripe about trophy hunters & cost of hunting.

Here’s a hint. A lot of people (not me) have some money, & they like to spend it on hunting deer, feeding deer, & improving their ranch & deer herd,

A more humble man, who was a beginner hunter, might ask questions about reasonable lease expectations, deer numbers, sustainablity, & maybe ask for help. But you come in insultsuting trophy hunters, insulting those who take care of their deer herd, & overall sound like a complete jerk. Nobody owes you a cheap deer lease, 5 deer/year, or any damn thing atall.

I’m just being honest here.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412589 01/23/19 02:47 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Again, no problems with trophy hunters! I want a trophy as bad as the next guy.

It's hard to find a decent place to hunt at all for the cost and availability! Now why might that be?

I never asked for any handouts! Advice is all I ever asked for and if you started with advice like "hey, that much land cant support that much deer" and etc. before making it personal then the thread would be very different indeed!

90% of ya'll were courteous and gave advice, tempering my expectations, as I have already admitted.

A couple of you, not so much. Reminds me of an Adam Sandler movie, anger management. "An angry man closes his eyes and opens his mouth" or something like that. Am I supposed to start this thread with "oh by the eay I am a rank amateur deer hunter please don't pick on me". Thats pretty funny.

One of the first couple posts was "that makes me sick". Set the tone for the thread! Thanks for the great advice!

Give me respect and you'll get it. I'm not sucking up to nobody just for a lease, nor for some kind of forum status? , I'd rather drive 3 hours one way to get skunked on public land.

I will however pay a fair price and adhere to the rules set forth by the landowner.

So far I guess it's aboit $1,500- $2,500 for average hunting lease, someone else said $6-$20 per acre per year. So there is a 100 acre place somewhere I can hunt and camp with my family for $600 a year thats a bargain. Even if all they have on the property is jackrabbits and I gotta drive halfway across Texas to get there. Hunting jacks is a ball and it would make for a great weekend together.

But if $2,000 gets you so much more how much more? Is a $2,000 lease better than a couple days with an outfitter, on a pig hunt?

Or should I spend that money getting started hunting waterfowl on public lands until I can buy my own spot.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412595 01/23/19 02:55 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I don't even know what I would use for nilgai. Did you miss the part where I have only ever taken one whitetail? I used a .243 for that... will probably use lightfield slugs for nilgai, haha!

No, I didn't miss anything but you did. I figured it was a reasonable question given the knowledge you exude. I'm surprised at your lack of participation in the *current* "Ammo for Nilgai?" and "Musings on a failed Nilgai Hunt..." threads.

As others have suggested, you came right out of the gates with a chip on your shoulder, trying to portray knowledge and experience you clearly (and now admittedly) didn't have, having an attitude of you know better... than people you don't know, and not caring about others' feelings. Your behavior thus far would get you run off of other sites (and I'd bet that has already happened to you). We're pretty laid back. Most of us are happy to help... somebody who is deserving, somebody who is polite, honest, appreciative, humble. If you don't like our "help" than you're free to part ways with us and take advantage of the whole rest of the Internet.

Back to this thread. In my opinion what you want does not exist in the realm of a shared lease. Even if you have an entire lease to yourself you may have some difficulty satisfying all of your requirements. You're best off buying "the 20-40 acre chunk of land in a good area". Be sure to share pictures of your slice of heaven and your "wild vittles".

Best of luck.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412662 01/23/19 04:01 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Mickey Moose:

Thread broadens with advice that I requested. I reserve the right to change my mind.

You clearly came in to intentionally rattle me again. I'll not further acknowledge your responses.

I mever portrayed experience I do not have. But nice try at defaming me.

Why would I participate in a thread like that?? The OP asked the question already and O have no knowledge to contribute on the topic. But I have actually been folowing nilgai threads that show up on my google search and a few in this forum.

Anyway, keep trying to get me kicked off. I bet a lot of the "experts" trying to shake me are the ones portraying knowledge they dont have.

Some, probably not all.

Go bother somebody else if you are going to be rude.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412671 01/23/19 04:11 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Thread is clearly going nowhere fast. I honestly hope it gets locked by the moderators.

For those of you who clearly have no life, but make time to insult me in this thread on a constant ongoing basis, I honestly feel sorry for you. What are youdoing with your life?

For the rest of ya'll, thanks for the advice. I think I have gleaned most of the information that I am gonna get and I sincerely appreciate it.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412679 01/23/19 04:14 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I clearly gave you advice and opinions pertaining to your original post about leasing vs buying. And I gave you links, relevant to your repeated Nilgai interest, to peruse. I encouraged you to document your experiences to share with us. Lastly, I wished you good luck. I guess all of that's trying to rattle you. I guess all of that's trying to get you kicked off. I guess all that's trying to shake you. I guess all of that's being rude. I even tried to help you engage us in a more productive manner yet you continue to be obtuse.

I hope you fail.

Bye.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Mickey Moose] #7412685 01/23/19 04:16 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability to."

- regularguy11B

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412686 01/23/19 04:16 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
You have joined them.

I thought this was a friendly forum when I joined.

I see the folly in some of the things I posted and admitted to it!

You have failed to see the folly in your most recent responses. Not to mention you are late to the party with rude commentary.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 01/23/19 04:19 PM.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412699 01/23/19 04:25 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I think I might have a better understanding of the forum rules than some long standing members posting. Probably could have reported some of ya'll a couple times by now, haha. This is rediculous.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412724 01/23/19 04:50 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Those figures came from me, my first response was;

" Year around all game hunting leases range between $6 ~ $20++ per acre depending on a long list of variables. "

You never asked a single question or for clarification about any of the variables.

Then in another response I said;

“ If you can't afford $1500 - $2500 per year for a lease, it's going to be hard to afford the $1000 - $3000 per month to buy “

There are leases available in that price range, you have to do the work to find them, no one said it would be easy.
No one said anything about how many acres to expect for the above price range or if the property would be suitable for your intensions or if any LO would even consider you as a lessee.

Several of us are trying to help, seems you won't get out of your own way to see that or do anything to help yourself.
Like for starters, state a budget, an area or direction and travel time from a base point, counties of interest.
I provided a link in one of your threads to help look at land available for sale all across the state.
I like several others tried to help.

The costs I threw out there were what one might expect for a general recreational type hunting lease. $6 - $20 per acre or $1500 - $2500 per gun.

When I started at $6 that's more like for 700 - 1000+ acres usually 3.5 - 5+ hours from DFW.
The lower the per acre cost the more acreage and the farther from a bigger city. Smaller acreage leases usually are more $ per acre.
I seriously doubt you'll find 100 acres for $6 per acre, but stranger things have happened.
There is no guarantee you'll find one that suits your intended use.
I know several LO's that get substantially more than $20 per acre for places closer to the metromess. 30 minutes to 2ish hours.
These are not 'trophy' leases.

The lease cost is nothing more than an access fee, it guarantees nothing other than that, if a property suits your needs is totally up to you to determine when you visit the property.
I'd consider around 100 acres within 2.5 hours N, W or S of DFW to be a bargain at $15 per acre. $20 and up more likely.
There are some smaller leases that go for less, they are difficult to find, some private LO's, often in E Tx, some timber co lands.

When you lease land rule #1 is ~ Their land, their rules, their price or no lease, simple.
The only thing you can expect from the LO is access, some offer more which usually coincides with price.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Rustler] #7412733 01/23/19 04:58 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Those figures came from me, my first response was;

" Year around all game hunting leases range between $6 ~ $20++ per acre depending on a long list of variables. "

You never asked a single question or for clarification about any of the variables.

Then in another response I said;

“ If you can't afford $1500 - $2500 per year for a lease, it's going to be hard to afford the $1000 - $3000 per month to buy “

There are leases available in that price range, you have to do the work to find them, no one said it would be easy.
No one said anything about how many acres to expect for the above price range or if the property would be suitable for your intensions or if any LO would even consider you as a lessee.

Several of us are trying to help, seems you won't get out of your own way to see that or do anything to help yourself.
Like for starters, state a budget, an area or direction and travel time from a base point, counties of interest.

The costs I threw out there were what one might expect for a general recreational type hunting lease. $6 - $20 per acre or $1500 - $2500 per gun.

When I started at $6 that's more like for 700 - 1000+ acres usually 3.5 - 5+ hours from DFW.
The lower the per acre cost the more acreage and the farther from a bigger city. Smaller acreage leases usually are more $ per acre.
I seriously doubt you'll find 100 acres for $6 per acre, but stranger things have happened.
There is no guarantee you'll find one that suits your intended use.
I know several LO's that get substantially more than $20 per acre for places closer to the metromess. 30 minutes to 2ish hours.
These are not 'trophy' leases.

The lease cost is nothing more than an access fee, it guarantees nothing other than that, if a property suits your needs is totally up to you to determine when you visit the property.
I'd consider around 100 acres within 2.5 hours N, W or S of DFW to be a bargain at $15 per acre. $20 and up more likely.
There are some smaller leases that go for less, they are difficult to find, some private LO's, often in E Tx, some timber co lands.

When you lease land rule #1 is ~ Their land, their rules, their price or no lease, simple.
The only thing you can expect from the LO is access, some offer more which usually coincides with price.

I don't have a problem with a word you have posted in this thread.

I do appreciate your signifigant contribution of information.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 01/23/19 05:00 PM.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412734 01/23/19 04:58 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
popcorn All I'm going to say.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: Mr. T.] #7412737 01/23/19 05:02 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
popcorn All I'm going to say.

I'd post something like that too if they had one of a guy eating crow. I'd have to eat a steaming pile to get the thread back on track.

But they keep coming... must resist...

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412764 01/23/19 05:28 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Rustlers last comments/advise was excellent, along with his others as best I remember. If you are serious about wanting advise then my advise would be to kiss and make up with that guy and see if he will help you even more. You seem to have alienated a lot of others on here so he may be your best bet. I would offer a lot of the same advice he has but I cant take the time. I don't know Rustler but he seems very knowledgeable and way more tolerant of your attitude and lack of basic knowledge than most. Good luck, the hunting community needs all kinds(I guess.)

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412765 01/23/19 05:29 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
"I have the right to be silent or considerate and tactful............do I have the abillity?" We shall see.

Last edited by jakebunch; 01/23/19 06:43 PM.
Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412779 01/23/19 05:38 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
A lotta others have intentionally tried to alienate me. I never tried to get anybody excited.

Respect is a two way street.

Brother I am trying!

Edit- more like, a couple others. But at this point, folks are only joining to instigate. What's up with that? Most people giving advice have already been posting since yesterday, seems like.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 01/23/19 05:39 PM.

Re: Realistic expectations on cost vs. return for a place to hunt? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7412794 01/23/19 05:53 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Regularguy,

You asked a question and it was answered. It may not have been in the manner you desired, but it has been well and truly answered. Being a steward of the land means more than picking up trash. It is practicing tried and true game management practices. Approaching a landowner with a plan to implement a sound management program will get you much further than simply telling him you want year around access to blast stuff.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide