C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Stevarino
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Like the other thread, we noticed a fence line hunter opening weekend who set his ground blind 80 yards back off the fence aimed right into our fence.. the guy even had the nerve to mow a strip of his pasture from stand to fence. The game warden said he’d be happy to swing by their camp and have a discussion but didn’t have time on opening weekend to take a look. Warden was in camp when having his discussion and would have been a 5 min ride to see the issue. Not sure he ever went and talked to them but the stand is still there and I will call and video the first time is see a deer laying between the fence and his stand. Sux that we have to witness the crime before action is taken.

Well, the stand isn't illegal and mowing isn't illegal. No crime has occurred yet. The game warden can't really do much about legal activities. He could talk to the folks about your concerns, but he has no legal authority to tell them to move the stand or to not mow.

Agree there’s nothing illegal happening, but one squeeze of the trigger and there’s a problem. No way around it. Shoot all the legal deer you want, I don’t care.. but when you put me and my family in danger, we’ve got a big problem. I was hoping he’d make an educational visit and possibly encourage them to turn the blind around. My point here is he’s set up to break the law but nothing will be done until I make the next call after the fact.

I'm not looking up the other thread. What did the neighbor say when you approached him with your concerns?

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7346376 11/12/18 11:05 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I would assume that opening morning of deer season is like the peak of times for them so cant be every at once is right.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7346819 11/13/18 11:50 AM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
Was duck hunting a property around Lubbock, I had permission on that spot for years. Headed out after a busted hunt that morning and I noticed a stack of ducks that had been discarded by the entrance that had not been cleaned. I guess the guys hunting just wanted a pic to post on Facebook. I called the game warden to report the situation, and I was asked for my name and number and that he would be calling me back. I never heard from him. I had also called the landowners office to report the situation just so they would know it wasnt me and that I had contacted the GW. 2 weeks later I still hadn’t heard from him and the ducks were still there so I assume he never made it out there. I understand they’re busy but I always run into him in town and on the county roads. He had even parked and observed one of our hunts one morning that year. I just figured at some point within 2 weeks he would have a chance to get around to the report. I dunno, maybe he was swamped.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7346835 11/13/18 12:15 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
If an organization has a large enough number of employees then there will be a few bad apples no matter how much diligence is applied to weed them out.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Stevarino] #7346904 11/13/18 01:40 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Like the other thread, we noticed a fence line hunter opening weekend who set his ground blind 80 yards back off the fence aimed right into our fence.. the guy even had the nerve to mow a strip of his pasture from stand to fence. The game warden said he’d be happy to swing by their camp and have a discussion but didn’t have time on opening weekend to take a look. Warden was in camp when having his discussion and would have been a 5 min ride to see the issue. Not sure he ever went and talked to them but the stand is still there and I will call and video the first time is see a deer laying between the fence and his stand. Sux that we have to witness the crime before action is taken.

Well, the stand isn't illegal and mowing isn't illegal. No crime has occurred yet. The game warden can't really do much about legal activities. He could talk to the folks about your concerns, but he has no legal authority to tell them to move the stand or to not mow.

Agree there’s nothing illegal happening, but one squeeze of the trigger and there’s a problem. No way around it. Shoot all the legal deer you want, I don’t care.. but when you put me and my family in danger, we’ve got a big problem. I was hoping he’d make an educational visit and possibly encourage them to turn the blind around. My point here is he’s set up to break the law but nothing will be done until I make the next call after the fact.

Yep, I would say you are in extreme danger from bow hunters. Best you move away from your side of the fence.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7347062 11/13/18 03:22 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S

Yep, I would say you are in extreme danger from bow hunters. Best you move away from your side of the fence.

Who said bow hunters? Who said I was hunting my fence? Closest stand we have is 300 yards from the fence, but we do drive down that fence line.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7347124 11/13/18 04:04 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
They do a good job overall but I don’t need them driving around the pasture on opening day at 0945 when they know where the camp is. I can easily see why some don’t care for them after my last encounter. I’ll leave it at that

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7347447 11/13/18 08:51 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Our GW has always been very responsive. If he can't get to our place in short order, he'll call the Sheriff and send someone over, or at the very least get detailed info and then follow up on the issue.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: dkershen] #7347534 11/13/18 10:07 PM
S
slugcatcher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I called on a road hunter (Neighbor 1 mile down the road) in front of our place the night before opening day. I watched them for about 10 mins driving in the ditch and shining lights in the woods looking for the deer they shot or shot at. When they got in front of my gate I shined the flashlight in the driver's window and they took off. I called the Sheriff's Dept and they called the GW.
GW - Did you find the deer?
ME- Really? You want me to go out in the dark where my neighbor is hunting from his truck to search the three other properties where the deer may have gone?
GW - Well if you find it give me a call.
ME - I can show you where the poacher lives if you want to come by and have a talk with him.
GW - I'm really tied up over here in Lufkin helping them out for opening weekend. If you find a wounded or dead deer around where he was shooting let me know and I'll come by.

Sheriff's Dept didn't want anything to do with it and deferred the whole episode to the GW. He transferred to another county the next year. Both GWs for our county were pulled into Lufkin to help out their GWs for opening weekend.

Re: Game Warden failure to respond. [Re: Mr. T.] #7347612 11/13/18 11:00 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
a week ago a little forked horn buck ran out in front of me on a county road while I was headed to my place. I missed him and he jumped the fence. He never got up so I went back to see what was up. He had hung up and fell back into the ditch breaking his neck. I called the GW and asked if I could shoot him (closest person or house was easily 3 miles away and the deer was hurting). He said sure but would not let me take it. I told him I would burn a tag on it. But since it didnt meet AR I needed permission. He declined. I watched that deer rot for the next few days while buzzards ate it each time I drove past. I see a problem with the scenario but I am not going to put my reputation on the line for one deer. I thought he would come out and pick it up but he obviously never did.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide