Forums46
Topics538,064
Posts9,732,592
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: Captain Luke] #7335590 11/02/18 03:00 PM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
Asking for a friend........have you ever heard of shooting a hog and not eating it? Like just throwing it into the brush? For a friend!!!!!! bolt

Yes, most every time I leave 'em lay. Buzzards and coyotes can have em. In my mind, hogs rank above fire ants and mice on the vermin list. Nasty lice and brucellosis carrying suckers.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: redchevy] #7335595 11/02/18 03:04 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Since we penned our feeders the hogs don't hang around they may walk through but for the most part the deer don't run out of sight and the hogs are gone. We run a few traps with feeders and shoot them when the opportunity presents without scaring deer. If there is an up and comer buck out there im not shooting much of anything unless its shooting at me.

Several years ago we had a 4 yo 140's 10 point we had been watching his whole life, nearly daily pictures of him. We decided to let him go one more year and I shot a mature 7pt standing next to him. Was the last time we ever saw that deer.

I had a large buck that would be at the feeder every day at 3:30.

He would come out with 1 doe and eat before the other deer showed up. One day he showed up with said doe and after about 10 min I head shot the doe ( with dramatic effect) and he ran off. Next day he was back at 3:30 and was killed by our hunter the next week.

Every place and deer is different. We did quite a bit of shooting as well and I can’t say that any deer got ran off a feeder because of noise or deer being shot next to it.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7335597 11/02/18 03:06 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Binary
Asking for a friend........have you ever heard of shooting a hog and not eating it? Like just throwing it into the brush? For a friend!!!!!! bolt

Not something I would ever do. I've never killed an animal that I didn't eat.

But you know...some people get off on killing things... and others are just to lazy to harvest everything they kill - esp. if they view what they kill as a pest.

You sound very young.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: Creekrunner] #7335602 11/02/18 03:09 PM
C
Captain Luke Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

But you know...some people get off on killing things... and others are just to lazy to harvest everything they kill - esp. if they view what they kill as a pest.

You sound very young.

Haha
roflmao

If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: Creekrunner] #7335613 11/02/18 03:18 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

You sound very young.

Well that's good to hear, however, my age and grey hair don't make me look very young smile

I do find it entertaining that you would believe someone "sounds young" because they have a healthy respect for animals. Make no mistake, the number of animals I've killed in 49 of the 50 states is in the four figures (probably more than most people in this forum). I simply have a healthy respect for the life of animals and only kill what I will eat. To do otherwise is wasteful.

Actually, in all fairness, I do just turn squirrels into jerky treats for my dogs these days - so perhaps I should say I've never killed an animal that I didn't harvest and that me, my family, friends, or pets didn't eat (pets are family in my household though) smile

Last edited by Binary; 11/02/18 03:28 PM.
Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: BassBuster1] #7335617 11/02/18 03:23 PM
B
BassBuster1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I have eaten small, young hogs that I smoked whole that were great. The big nasty ones I kill and let lay, not touching them!! The coyotes, other hogs, and buzzards clean them up in about three days.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7335620 11/02/18 03:24 PM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A

You sound very young.

Well that's good to hear, however, my age and grey hair don't make me look very young smile

I do find it entertaining that you would believe someone "sounds young" because they have a healthy respect for animals. Make no mistake, the number of animals I've killed in 49 of the 50 states is in the four figures (probably more than most people in this forum). I simply have a healthy respect for the life of animals and only kill what I will eat. To do otherwise is wasteful.

You must have a healthy appetite too.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7335621 11/02/18 03:25 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

You sound very young.

And humble to boot.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7335638 11/02/18 03:35 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

You sound very young.

Actually, in all fairness, I do just turn squirrels into jerky treats for my dogs these days - so perhaps I should say I've never killed an animal that I didn't harvest and that me, my family, friends, or pets didn't eat (pets are family in my household though) smile

I shoot pigs to control the population, which is WAY out of control at our place. I will clean and eat 2-3 a year, but I think I have killed 25+ so far this year. Typically, I will agree with you on only shooting what I will eat. If pigs and coyotes were not so heavily populated around our place, then I probably would not shoot them on sight. However, they are, so they do get shot. on sight. at all times.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7335652 11/02/18 03:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

What is your favorite coyote or bobcat recipe?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: Captain Luke] #7335660 11/02/18 03:53 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I quit eating those nasty things a long time ago. Shoot them just like a coyote gut shot so they run off.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: agsellers04] #7335670 11/02/18 04:00 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
You must have a healthy appetite too.

It's not that much meat really when it's spread out over the years and when a lot of it is small game. But I do host a lot of social events with friends, family and neighbors - so we tend to use a good amount during those times. But yeah, overall, I have a pretty good appetite.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: stxranchman] #7335674 11/02/18 04:03 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

What is your favorite coyote or bobcat recipe?

If I were to kill a coyote or bobcat - neither being something I would hunt for --> I'd pelt 'em out and jerky them up for pet treats.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: snake oil] #7335683 11/02/18 04:12 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: snake oil

I quit eating those nasty things a long time ago. Shoot them just like a coyote gut shot so they run off.

If you gut shot animals on purpose so they run off and suffer until they die: 1) you're a sicko - you have serious mental issues and should seek help - in fact, you should probably be permanently banned from hunting anything; and 2) you're the reason why, eventually, hunting will be regulated to death or just made outright illegal for everyone.

It's really sad to see people admit to such despicable practices.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: BassBuster1] #7335694 11/02/18 04:27 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
popcorn

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: Creekrunner] #7335702 11/02/18 04:32 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
And humble to boot.

As humble as a man who judges other people's humbleness no doubt smile

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: Mr. T.] #7335703 11/02/18 04:32 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
popcorn

Share the popcorn Mr. T!

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7335729 11/02/18 04:48 PM
A
agsellers04 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: snake oil

If you gut shot animals on purpose so they run off and suffer until they die: 1) you're a sicko - you have serious mental issues and should seek help - in fact, you should probably be permanently banned from hunting anything; and 2) you're the reason why, eventually, hunting will be regulated to death or just made outright illegal for everyone.

It's really sad to see people admit to such despicable practices.

We've come a long way from the widespread use of cyanide bombs, leg snares, nose traps, leg traps, nail traps, etc. Shooting an animal in the liver so it dies somewhere else is far more humane than any of those methods. Not the preferred method of course. I recall being a kid even as recently as the mid 80's seeing coyotes hung on fence posts for as far as the eye can see.

They made it legal to use blood pressure medicine to rot the guts out of hogs so they must not be that concerned with the humane treatment of the hog population seems like.

Re: I am sure this has been asked before but... [Re: unclebubba] #7335771 11/02/18 05:11 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: unclebubba
I shoot pigs to control the population, which is WAY out of control at our place. I will clean and eat 2-3 a year, but I think I have killed 25+ so far this year. Typically, I will agree with you on only shooting what I will eat. If pigs and coyotes were not so heavily populated around our place, then I probably would not shoot them on sight. However, they are, so they do get shot. on sight. at all times.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand hogs and coyotes are pest and can do a lot of damage and there are areas of overpopulation like your property. And I agree they need to be dispatched. And it's good to hear that you generally agree with the idea of only shooting what you eat. You have to protect your property, crops, and live stock - no doubt, I completely understand.

I just think that ALL hunters should dispatch their kills as quickly as possible and make use of the kill. Mind you, while I personally don't kill unless I plan on eating it - there are other uses people can make of a kill if they harvest everything they kill. As an example, I know a guy here in Texas who hunts hog year round but eats very few of them (I mean for a living he hunts hogs). He harvests them all and uses most of them for making pet food (dog jerky, ears, etc..). He doesn't make a killing doing it, but I know he makes around 60ish/year doing it. Basically just him and his wife do it all.

Those 25 unharvested hogs, depending on size of course, could have probably made you a couple extra grand if you had harvested them.

On a professional level(business attorney), I've worked with several businesses around the country over the years in the 'animal harvesting' industry, so I always just shake my head when I hear about unharvested kills.

But you know, that's just my opinion. I know a lot of people don't agree with me.

Last edited by Binary; 11/02/18 05:13 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide