D
roflmao

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328304 10/26/18 11:30 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Well first the "The argument that "it's not your land" it's not yours to blab about either" statement is absurd. Talking about something doesn't require ownership.

Second, using any tv personality - Steve Rinella or anyone else like him to support how anything should be done is equally absurd. Most of these tv personalities should not be used as role models for hunters.

You know I remember returning from a successful hunt out in the Alaska bush and running into some hunters that were just heading out. I let them copy my map information and had a little sit down about game activity. Couple years later I ran into one of those hunters who had just returned from the bush while I was headed out. The information he provided me easily cut several days off my hunt. For me, that's what hunting has always been - people who love the outdoors, who love hunting and who love the rewards of hunting - all people who have no issues with sharing information and helping other people be successful and enjoy hunting. Helping other people get involved and enjoy hunting is PART of the hunting experience.

This tight lipped nature of "hunters" that you describe is contrary to my experience (in the south, out west, east, or anywhere else I've hunted). And there's a big difference between a TV personality giving hunting location tips and YOU or ME or some other nobody giving hunting location tips. A TV personality really will get a place swarmed with hunters. Some nobody jack talking in on online forum MAY get noticed by a handful of people at most.

I think you guys are making a big deal over nothing. And you may find that not being a reclusive secretive hunter has more benefits than not.

Last edited by Binary; 10/26/18 11:31 PM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328314 10/26/18 11:38 PM
S
swampthang Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Loose lips,sink ships.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328320 10/26/18 11:45 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I would do everything you just described and said youve done. None equal getting on the internet and saying I'm hunting here go check it out.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328326 10/26/18 11:48 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This topic was never about not talking to someone personally giving them advice saying you should hunt here, none of it, this topic was about getting on the Internet and bragging about a hunting spot. Stop Miss interpreting the original post

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/27/18 12:03 AM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328340 10/27/18 12:04 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Binary comparing us to professional hunters. Is equal to hunting a couple thousand miles from home in a place you won't be again for years and a place an hour from home you hunt all season.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328361 10/27/18 12:28 AM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I would actually do the same for people hunting anywhere, proximity to my home and where I hunt the most is irrelevant to me. Like I said, I want people to enjoy their hunts and be successful. If someone takes a deer that I've been hunting for months on public land because I mentioned I saw lots of deer activity in stubblefield area of SHNF, that doesn't bother me one bit. I should have been a better hunter and got it first smile

For me though, hunting is about the whole experience, not just making the kill. There are plenty of deer on public land to go around for the limited number of people who hunt it.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328373 10/27/18 12:47 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
If my measure of hunting was the harvest I'd quit years ago.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328445 10/27/18 02:07 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This will be my last post on the subject.

I love hunting public land. I love it for several reasons. The challenge of it, the enjoyment, the fact that I'm A.D.D and hate looking at the same thing over and over, the thought of sitting over a feeder and looking at the same pasture all year sounds as enjoyable to me as getting punched in the face. I help many people, I tell many people to hunt public, I offer to take kids and people that do not hunt out to show them what little I know.

All that being said the 1st thing I said was I enjoyed the challenge I do not believe in short cuts in life. It's black and white to me. I'll help anyone out but I do not believe in handouts I do not give them and I do not ask for them. No grey area.

But you guys that think you're helping anyone out you are screwing over just as many people. One guy in this post said I hunt Whitney but I know not to hunt weekends and openers. What about the guy working 9 to 5 uses his 2 weeks of paid vacation with the kids lives 30 minutes up the road and doesn't make enough for a lease. Just because you've got the flexibility in you're career and kudos to you... He may not why diminish his chances? So you get a sense of accomplishment when someone you do not know likes your post on Facebook?

I'm fortunately not that guy I drive past several pieces of public to get to what I deer hunt. Every year I hunt at least 2 states up to 4. But I've been that other guy

Hunting public is what you put into it. If you work for it, it can be rewarding but offering short cuts does nobody any favors only gives people a false sense of hope.

Good night good luck good hunting

Last edited by ducknbass; 10/27/18 02:44 AM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328481 10/27/18 02:52 AM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
We all know what they say about opinions and a*****es …. everyone has one... And here's my opinion...whining like a bunch of entitled babies on an online forum about what OTHER people choose to do because of how their actions may in some hypothetical world affect you or someone else ….or because their actions don't fall in line with your view of how things should be... that is far worse than some good natured people giving friendly advice to some fellow hunters.

And why do people keep bringing up Facebook? I'd have to guess that you guys bringing it up are the ones who like getting those likes on Facebook because you are the only ones that can't stop talking about it. Personally, I don't Facebook.

But hey, what do I know...to each his own.

Last edited by Binary; 10/27/18 03:03 AM.
Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328564 10/27/18 06:47 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I have been hunting for 45 years at least. Mostly on public land. I have two leases, but still most of my hunting and most game taken is from public land. I enjoy it for the same reasons ducknbass does, but I have had very few of the problems ducknbass experiences. For the most part I saw the same hunting pressure before the internet as I do now. With exceptions most public hunters are weekend warriors with limited time and limited funds. Most of those hunters hunt within a couple hours of their home just as most hunt within a short easy walk from the road. Even before the internet, these types of hunters knew of and about the public land areas near them. And now like it or not because of the internet everyone knows about all of them everywhere via google. If your serious about hunting public land or water the number one thing you have to consider when scouting, planning, or actual hunting is hunting pressure. Just like planning for wind direction, water level, etc. it is just another aspect you can't change. When I do a road trip bird hunt, I draw a big circle around every city and town, major roads, etc. on the map and usually pass up the public land within those circles. It will have been hunted hard already by the locals. You can count on that.

Deer hunting public as an example. If you pattern deer from bedding area to scrape lines or feeding areas on public land, expect that to get messed up opening morning by other hunters if not from scouters during the week. This no matter if someone mentioned the hunting area on social media or not. I prefer to look for where most hunters will approach from. Where the escape routes are. And pinch points that funnel retreating deer. Have a plan A and a plan B.

Now Duck hunting. Say you scout and find a cove visible from the road full of mallards, don't expect to not have company the next day. Take Ray Roberts where one has to enter at hunter access points. I draw a big circle around those access points on the map and avoid them. If one pulls a boat up near one of those access points to hunt, they will have company. The best looking areas on a waterbody are the best looking areas to every other hunter on the lake. I avoid those areas. If someone does not know of a lake within two hours of home, they probably don't hunt or fish anyway.

If your constantly getting hunts ruined by other hunters or experiencing a lack of success because of hunting pressure, don't assume it was because someone must have mentioned it on the net. It is because your doing it all wrong. You can't change what other public hunters are doing just like you can't change the wind, but you can adapt to hunt a public hunting area in a way to use it to your advantage.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328659 10/27/18 02:07 PM
S
swampthang Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I need to apologize for using the expression "weekend warrior",thats much too harsh and derogatory.Most of us work 5 days a week so technically we're all weekend warriors. But seriously if you've found a honey hole on public land you really should keep it on the down low or it wont be a honey hole much longer.

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328690 10/27/18 03:03 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I looked back. Nope I never said I have those bad experiences.

Also note sniper is a fireman he hunted on Wednesday for all the years of the internet. Tomatoe orange

Re: I just dont get it [Re: swampthang] #7328807 10/27/18 06:01 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I don't get it either, the army of orange is strong at LBJ because of it...

Re: I just dont get it [Re: Sniper John] #7328811 10/27/18 06:06 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I have been hunting for 45 years at least. Mostly on public land. I have two leases, but still most of my hunting and most game taken is from public land. I enjoy it for the same reasons ducknbass does, but I have had very few of the problems ducknbass experiences. For the most part I saw the same hunting pressure before the internet as I do now. With exceptions most public hunters are weekend warriors with limited time and limited funds. Most of those hunters hunt within a couple hours of their home just as most hunt within a short easy walk from the road. Even before the internet, these types of hunters knew of and about the public land areas near them. And now like it or not because of the internet everyone knows about all of them everywhere via google. If your serious about hunting public land or water the number one thing you have to consider when scouting, planning, or actual hunting is hunting pressure. Just like planning for wind direction, water level, etc. it is just another aspect you can't change. When I do a road trip bird hunt, I draw a big circle around every city and town, major roads, etc. on the map and usually pass up the public land within those circles. It will have been hunted hard already by the locals. You can count on that.

Deer hunting public as an example. If you pattern deer from bedding area to scrape lines or feeding areas on public land, expect that to get messed up opening morning by other hunters if not from scouters during the week. This no matter if someone mentioned the hunting area on social media or not. I prefer to look for where most hunters will approach from. Where the escape routes are. And pinch points that funnel retreating deer. Have a plan A and a plan B.

Now Duck hunting. Say you scout and find a cove visible from the road full of mallards, don't expect to not have company the next day. Take Ray Roberts where one has to enter at hunter access points. I draw a big circle around those access points on the map and avoid them. If one pulls a boat up near one of those access points to hunt, they will have company. The best looking areas on a waterbody are the best looking areas to every other hunter on the lake. I avoid those areas. If someone does not know of a lake within two hours of home, they probably don't hunt or fish anyway.

If your constantly getting hunts ruined by other hunters or experiencing a lake of success because of hunting pressure, don't assume it was because someone must have mentioned it on the net. It is because your doing it all wrong. You can't change what other public hunters are doing just like you can't change the wind, but you can adapt to hunt a public hunting area in a way to use it to your advantage.

Great post and I agree, people talking on the internet hasn't really changed anything. In fact, I pretty much agree with all of your points. You know I never really thought much about the "hunting pressure" factor that you mention, I think mainly because of the way I naturally plan my hunts gets me moving through areas where hunting pressure is minimal so its never been a factor that has really "stuck out" for me. But I certainly agree that it's a factor that people should be paying attention to when planning their hunts - esp. if they aren't the type of hunters that like to take long treks.

Great point on retreating game - I've taken my share of game being driven deeper in by hunters showing up and walking in the normal entry points (I'm normally way the hell back in there by the time sun rises and most hunters start coming in). Definitely a good piece of advice for people.

As far as duck hunting - you guys will all know more about that than me, I've never been much of a bird hunter. I'll certainly remember any advice in the event I ever decide to get into it.

But yeah, excellent post and advice Sniper John.

Last edited by Binary; 10/27/18 08:30 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide