Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,370
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: scalebuster] #7265633 08/23/18 09:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
The only thing that has changed on our ranch is increased bushels per acre. Amount of farmed ground has not, growing season has not. That increase productivity is harvest ability and seed variety. With that said higher production yields leaves more on the ground even though collection efficiency goes up still law of percentages.

As far as CRP or rangeland management it has essentially stayed the same out side a few control burns and accidental lighting strike burns. Recently regulations on CRP management did change and now there is a hay/graze rotation requirement.

Old fence rows are still there as the old homesteads.

Biggest change I have personally seen is increased aerial predators by a huge swing.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7265635 08/23/18 09:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
The only thing that has changed on our ranch is increased bushels per acre. Amount of farmed ground has not, growing season has not. That increase productivity is harvest ability and seed variety. With that said higher production yields leaves more on the ground even though collection efficiency goes up still law of percentages.

As far as CRP or rangeland management it has essentially stayed the same out side a few control burns and accidental lighting strike burns. Recently regulations on CRP management did change and now there is a hay/graze rotation requirement.

Biggest change I have personally seen is increased aerial predators by a huge swing.

And how old are you again? Read my time frame again...30 yrs or more ago. Do you use Round-up Ready corn? Things have changed you just have not seen them. hammer

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: stxranchman] #7265643 08/23/18 09:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

But there are no fence rows or grasses/weeds left for the birds to hide in no matter how much grain is left. What happens the first rain after harvest to all that seed on the ground? Things have changed you stubborn German, you keep admitting it... hammer

If you only plant 4 circles per section the amount of plowed ground remains the same 126acres x4.... if the rest is in native/CRP that 136 acres stays unplanted,....

Takes a lot of rain to sink corn, especially in an area that only averages 18 inches of rain and 30” of snow...

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: stxranchman] #7265647 08/23/18 09:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

And how old are you again? Read my time frame again...30 yrs or more ago. Do you use Round-up Ready corn? Things have changed you just have not seen them. hammer

I was tearing tractors up 30 years ago. 50 years ago Not so much.

Who is the rock head, my herbicide useage is down 10 fold since roundy up.... with more precise applications, which would bood in quail favor...

Try again.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7265651 08/23/18 10:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

But there are no fence rows or grasses/weeds left for the birds to hide in no matter how much grain is left. What happens the first rain after harvest to all that seed on the ground? Things have changed you stubborn German, you keep admitting it... hammer

If you only plant 4 circles per section the amount of plowed ground remains the same 126acres x4.... if the rest is in native/CRP that 136 acres stays unplanted,....

Takes a lot of rain to sink corn, especially in an area that only averages 18 inches of rain and 30” of snow...

How much rain does it take to sprout corn or ruin it?

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7265656 08/23/18 10:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Who is the rock head, my herbicide useage is down 10 fold since roundy up.... with more precise applications, which would bood in quail favor...

Try again.

And how can seeds germinate after you have sterilized the field for years? There are none, hence less herbicide? What do quail eat more of again? Again you backed up my answer with your reply. hammer CRP plantings and grass heights vary across every state that does them from what I have seen..some are short grass and some or taller grasses. Most were to thick IMO where I hunted for deer. They needed to be burned off.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: stxranchman] #7265659 08/23/18 10:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Who’s the German now. My harvest is Oct. by then ground temp is below optimal. I will have pasture maggots, deer and pheasants still eating it in Feb

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7265664 08/23/18 10:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Who’s the German now. My harvest is Oct. by then ground temp is below optimal. I will have pasture maggots, deer and pheasants still eating it in Feb

Who is German now? Is that grain on the surface where the sun and rain can hit it? If there is that much grain on the ground you need a new combine... bolt

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: scalebuster] #7265670 08/23/18 10:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: stxranchman] #7265693 08/23/18 11:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Try again.

And how can seeds germinate after you have sterilized the field for years? There are none, hence less herbicide? What do quail eat more of again? Again you backed up my answer with your reply. hammer CRP plantings and grass heights vary across every state that does them from what I have seen..some are short grass and some or taller grasses. Most were to thick IMO where I hunted for deer. They needed to be burned off.

Lol, if it was dead soil I wouldn’t need round up. Application process is more pointed and efficient that’s all. Again CRP is now rotationally grazed or Hayed so I should expect to see a bumper crop...... of quail

You are trying to compare an area that soil erroision conscious for past 50 years and has moved away from the edge to edge Stx dry land practices.

If anything habitat in our area has gotten better with more and more soil conservation consciousness.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: stxranchman] #7265708 08/23/18 11:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rockhead german

Who is German now? Is that grain on the surface where the sun and rain can hit it? If there is that much grain on the ground you need a new combine... bolt

That’s it we are going pheasant hunting in Jan, I look forward to your quail habitat analysis. I have a doe pasture maggot tag too.

FYI stripper head efficiency is a smaller percentage of increased harvest yield compared to selective seed varieties. Three percent increase is huge, compared to a seed variety I can double row and break 300 bushels an acre...

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7265727 08/23/18 11:36 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

That’s it we are going pheasant hunting in Jan, I look forward to your quail habitat analysis. I have doe pasture maggot tag too.

FYI stripper head efficiency is a smaller percentage of increased harvest yield compared to selective seed varieties. Three percent increase is huge, compared to a seed variety I can double row and break 300 bushels an acre...

You should really have become an attorney...deflection at it's best.peep I waiting for the answer to my first question above.
Originally Posted By: dodotheclown
Lol, if it was dead soil I wouldn’t need round up. Application process is more pointed and efficient that’s all. Again CRP is now rotationally grazed or Hayed so I should expect to see a bumper crop...... of quail

You are trying to compare an area that soil erroision conscious for past 50 years and has moved away from the edge to edge Stx dry land practices.

If anything habitat in our area has gotten better with more and more soil conservation consciousness.

That part about sterilizing the soil was just to see if you actually are reading what I am posting or just skimming. If there are no weeds to make seeds then you have "sterilized" the fields from weeds...hence needing less treated acres. IIRC the area in western Kansas I hunted only got 17" annual rainfall with about a 15" annual snow. They do not stock raised nearly as many raised quail like they do pheasants for hunting up there in Kansas from what I saw.

Now do you think the ease of an avian predator being able to catch a released bird is effecting the amount of pressure the avian predators are now putting on native populations? popcorn
Just fun Thursday afternoon fodder to keep your German perked up. grin

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: stxranchman] #7265758 08/24/18 12:05 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

That’s it we are going pheasant hunting in Jan, I look forward to your quail habitat analysis. I have doe pasture maggot tag too.

You should really have become an attorney...deflection at it's best.peep I waiting for the answer to my first question above.
Originally Posted By: dodotheclown

That part about sterilizing the soil was just to see if you actually are reading what I am posting or just skimming. If there are no weeds to make seeds then you have "sterilized" the fields from weeds...hence needing less treated acres. IIRC the area in western Kansas I hunted only got 17" annual rainfall with about a 15" annual snow. They do not stock raised nearly as many raised quail like they do pheasants for hunting up there in Kansas from what I saw.

Now do you think the ease of an avian predator being able to catch a released bird is effecting the amount of pressure the avian predators are now putting on native populations? popcorn
Just fun Thursday afternoon fodder to keep your German perked up. grin

Eh tu brute!!! I can’t believe you would hit that low

Come on I could never be a shake down artist. roflmao

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: scalebuster] #7265763 08/24/18 12:11 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: scalebuster] #7265873 08/24/18 02:07 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Round 2

BOBOtheClown boxing stxranchman

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: 1860.colt] #7265931 08/24/18 03:14 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: colt.45
Round 2

flag

He knows I’m right. He just has two huge soft spots in his heart. Unfortunately he just can’t look past those to loves. Those two loves are for Hawks and spikes.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7265933 08/24/18 03:17 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Round 2

flag

He knows I’m right. He just has two huge soft spots in his heart. I unfortunately he just can’t look past those to loves. Those two loves are for Hawks and spikes.

I will let you think you won.....even though we both know I am right. rofl

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: stxranchman] #7265934 08/24/18 03:22 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Round 2

flag

He knows I’m right. He just has two huge soft spots in his heart. Unfortunately he just can’t look past those two loves. Those two loves are for Hawks and spikes.

I’m getting you one for Christmas.

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7265942 08/24/18 03:37 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Round 2

flag

He knows I’m right. He just has two huge soft spots in his heart. Unfortunately he just can’t look past those two loves. Those two loves are for Hawks and spikes.

I’m getting you one for Christmas.

I am getting you one of these..... Quail

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: scalebuster] #7266034 08/24/18 11:27 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Lol, the old man’s still got it. Pretty funny

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: scalebuster] #7266325 08/24/18 04:01 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Glad that's settled, so all things equal, the farmer using ge/gm seed and pouring Monsanto everywhere is what's caused it peep

https://phys.org/news/2016-09-largest-ever-reveals-environmental-impact-genetically.html

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: Western] #7266372 08/24/18 04:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western
Glad that's settled, so all things equal, the farmer using ge/gm seed and pouring Monsanto everywhere is what's caused it peep

https://phys.org/news/2016-09-largest-ever-reveals-environmental-impact-genetically.html

I agree, those a hole post 2008 farmers should be using native seeds and organic molasses based pesticides.

grin

Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Quail Hunting???? [Re: scalebuster] #7266590 08/24/18 09:00 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It's a sticky issue. Maximum yield Ag is more profitable. Money motivates landowners to do what is profitable. From an economic standpoint it makes the most sense. The trade off is sometimes niche species can't adapt and are pushed out. The taxpayer does not want to foot the bill to subsidize more wildlife friendly but less profitable practices.
As for the argument of being more birds of prey:
Raptor populations were decimated by DDT. They continue to rebound and recolonize areas they previously inhabited, but populations are not what they once were. Populations of some species are still drastically lower than prior to DDT. In that same period of abundant raptors, the bobwhite flourished across most of the south and pointing dogs in farmers yards and on their porches was common. Most of the quail are gone now. Shortly after the quail started to disappear, a lot of the bird dogs did too.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide