Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244330 08/03/18 08:06 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
FJG,

yes you did.

fyi - this is a true clip of ammo being loaded into a M1 Garand, the primary rifle issued to US, and Allied soldiers in WW2, and which was used in Korea and even to some degree in Vietnam. The clip holds the cartridges together as they are pushed down into the internal magazine. Other older rifles also used clips in various forms.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244336 08/03/18 08:13 PM
U
unclebubba Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
U
There are also clips that help you load your magazine...

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244337 08/03/18 08:13 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Yep, another example.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244338 08/03/18 08:14 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Clip vs magazine, buzzard vs vulture, catsup vs ketchup. It really seems to matter to some folks - OCD folks perhaps. I suppose I’ll have to give some thought to whatever like that irritates me.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244339 08/03/18 08:18 PM
G
glb1955 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Any officer that was attending a course that I taught that called a magazine a clip did pushups. They were told the difference right up front and it went from there. We had a bunch of fun with it.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: 603Country] #7244341 08/03/18 08:20 PM
U
unclebubba Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: 603Country
Clip vs magazine, buzzard vs vulture, catsup vs ketchup. It really seems to matter to some folks - OCD folks perhaps. I suppose I’ll have to give some thought to whatever like that irritates me.

But Buzzard and vulture, catsup and ketchup, if looked up in the dictionary, have the exact same meaning. Clip and magazine do not! That's my point!

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244343 08/03/18 08:21 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
A lot of WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam vets I grew up with called magazines “clips”. Many of those I know today still do.

I suspect not all of them used the M1 Garand exclusively-many almost certainly used one of the many magazine-fed rifles used in those wars. I know they used the 1911 pistol. No matter, many of them call magazines “clips” - on their deer rifles to their 1911s and so on.

Do they know the difference? I don’t know, maybe some do and some don’t. But I’m pretty sure they know their way around a weapon. I’m not going to correct them.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244351 08/03/18 08:36 PM
M
MO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244352 08/03/18 08:39 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Is my Echo a weed eater or a trimmer? I call it a weed eater.

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: MO] #7244353 08/03/18 08:39 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Heads are about to explode.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RJH1] #7244357 08/03/18 08:43 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RJH1
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Seems like I've already said that. But words are hard for some people and they resort to insults.

Where is the insult?

"Straw man argument".

I never have, and never will be a straw man. It is illegal to purchase a firearm for a felon.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244358 08/03/18 08:43 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: unclebubba

But Buzzard and vulture, catsup and ketchup, if looked up in the dictionary, have the exact same meaning. Clip and magazine do not! That's my point!

Right.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: J.G.] #7244368 08/03/18 08:54 PM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

Seems like I've already said that. But words are hard for some people and they resort to insults.

Where is the insult?

"Straw man argument".

I never have, and never will be a straw man. It is illegal to purchase a firearm for a felon.

Here is another example of why words matter. Fireman, you may not know this but there is a term called a "straw-man argument" that happens to be a very prevalent thing on the internet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Unlike the magazine vs. clip argument, this is a case where the same word means two different things, at least to someone familiar with guns. I don't believe he was accusing you of illegally buying weapons, he was referring to his belief that you were attacking an opinion/position that he didn't have. BTW, his use of the term is incorrect in my opinion. Your statement was in direct response to what he posted, so therefore not a "straw-man".

As for the argument at hand, words matter. When we have an entire group of people who are trying to ban guns and use incorrect terms to further their agendas, we, as a community, ridicule them. We need to make sure that we are educating everyone as to the correct terms so that we can all be speaking the same language when having discussions or stating our positions (see the "muzzle break" example cited above). That is why it matters to call magazine a magazine and a clip a clip. To me it is the same thing as making sure that modern sporting rifles and true assault rifles are not used interchangeably.

Last edited by HandgunHTR; 08/03/18 08:56 PM.

#FighttheNoise
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244372 08/03/18 08:57 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I'm glad there are two words, so that when they ban all high-cap magazines, i'll still have a bunch of 30-rd clips.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244382 08/03/18 09:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I only worry about what's in the bore and ready to fire. Anything that holds ammunition, albeit a magazine or clip, is secondary.

But as a general rule, if it can be detached from the firearm like the original military clips then I call it a clip. If it's non-detachable and a permanent part of the firearm then I'll call it a magazine.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/03/18 09:08 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244383 08/03/18 09:05 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: unclebubba

Just food for thought, but here's what Merriam-Webster says:

Definition of clip
1 : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3 : a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244386 08/03/18 09:14 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Who cares

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244395 08/03/18 09:23 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Anyone who really cares is a most likely a nerd anyway

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: HandgunHTR] #7244401 08/03/18 09:33 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: HandgunHTR

Here is another example of why words matter. Fireman, you may not know this but there is a term called a "straw-man argument" that happens to be a very prevalent thing on the internet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Unlike the magazine vs. clip argument, this is a case where the same word means two different things, at least to someone familiar with guns. I don't believe he was accusing you of illegally buying weapons, he was referring to his belief that you were attacking an opinion/position that he didn't have. BTW, his use of the term is incorrect in my opinion. Your statement was in direct response to what he posted, so therefore not a "straw-man".

As for the argument at hand, words matter. When we have an entire group of people who are trying to ban guns and use incorrect terms to further their agendas, we, as a community, ridicule them. We need to make sure that we are educating everyone as to the correct terms so that we can all be speaking the same language when having discussions or stating our positions (see the "muzzle break" example cited above). That is why it matters to call magazine a magazine and a clip a clip. To me it is the same thing as making sure that modern sporting rifles and true assault rifles are not used interchangeably.

A straw man argument is setting up a new argument that can be torn down, that doesn't actually have to do with the topic at hand i.e. that glocks weren't available in WW2 so magazines can't be called clips. Doesen't really make sense does it?. The idea is that it sounds related to the topic when it actually isn't.

It has nothing to do with gun purchases. So yes, it does seem that words can be hard for people.

A correct argument would be more along the lines of original definitions etc.

And whether you or I like it or not, common definitions is what matters to the general public, so clips/magazines, engines/motors, silencers/suppressors, buffalo/bison are all the same thing...

I looked and some of the 99c literature says clip magazine, so they have all their bases covered haha

Last edited by RJH1; 08/03/18 09:39 PM.
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244442 08/03/18 10:07 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
if this is the top of your worries, you are sick, go back 60yrs, .22lr clips

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244444 08/03/18 10:09 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HandgunHTR

Where is the insult?

"Straw man argument".

Educational, thank you.

And no, I did not have a "straw man" response. Mine was directly applicable to the discussion. There is no need in me repeating it.

As for this whole discussion, that response was my point. Why call a thing what it is not? Just because a group of people get it wrong, does not make one right for joining that group. It is just another person getting something wrong.

I write legal document, medical reports many times a month. And the incorrect term, or abbreviation could come back to bite me one day in court. So I appreciate people whom use the proper word to describe something.

Another that aggravates me is the question "is that aluminum or is it metal?" I know they mean is it aluminum or is it steel, but I answer "yes". And off we go.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: J.G.] #7244474 08/03/18 10:39 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Educational, thank you.

And no, I did not have a "straw man" response. Mine was directly applicable to the discussion. There is no need in me repeating it.

As for this whole discussion, that response was my point. Why call a thing what it is not? Just because a group of people get it wrong, does not make one right for joining that group. It is just another person getting something wrong.

I write legal document, medical reports many times a month. And the incorrect term, or abbreviation could come back to bite me one day in court. So I appreciate people whom use the proper word to describe something.

Another that aggravates me is the question "is that aluminum or is it metal?" I know they mean is it aluminum or is it steel, but I answer "yes". And off we go.

So you have never called an engine a motor, or a bison a buffalo, or a pronghorn an antelope, or like Joe Biden called custard, ice cream?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: RJH1] #7244532 08/03/18 11:39 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Educational, thank you.

So you have never called an engine a motor, or a bison a buffalo, or a pronghorn an antelope, or like Joe Biden called custard, ice cream?

Diesel engine, electric motor, diesel motor, electric engine. Those are just preferences and mean the same things (I use the first set I listed).

A clip, and a magazine are two different things. A dictionary meaning for both was provided, previously.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: J.G.] #7244549 08/04/18 12:00 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Diesel engine, electric motor, diesel motor, electric engine. Those are just preferences and mean the same things (I use the first set I listed).

A clip, and a magazine are two different things. A dictionary meaning for both was provided, previously.

Posted above:

"Just food for thought, but here's what Merriam-Webster says:

Definition of clip
1 : any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3 : a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip"

Notice the second half of number 2

Also i notice you didn't comment on the buffalo/bison or pronghorn/antelope part of the question. Am i to assume that you have never called a bison a buffalo?

Re: Magazine vs. Clip [Re: unclebubba] #7244553 08/04/18 12:04 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yes, look at that second part a magazine feeds ammunition into a chamber.

Is there a difference in bison and buffalo? I've used them interchangeably.

Is there a difference in pronghorn and antelope? I've called them pronghorn antelope, also speed goat.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide