Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7198997 06/16/18 12:05 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
As far as the OP, if I was getting on a lease and agreed to the price, I really don't care if the "lease boss" isn't paying. I lease a place based on what I get out of it, not what everyone else is.

As far as the practicality of it, if it is a big lease and the owner is a pain in the arse, I would almost say the guy deserves it.

As far as I know, I have never been on a lease that everyone didn't pay equal though.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lease Boss [Re: txshntr] #7199312 06/16/18 02:37 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: therancher
I have no problem with it either way. EXCEPT, when you put another person between you and your customer you increase the potential for graft and corruption. Even “respectable” folks on this forum think it’s fine and dandy to bribe the lease boss to keep new offers from the landowner.

Do tell popcorn
must be a story behind that statement popcorn

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Lease Boss [Re: Team Hillbilly] #7200251 06/17/18 06:41 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Team Hillbilly
I have no problem with it either way. EXCEPT, when you put another person between you and your customer you increase the potential for graft and corruption. Even “respectable” folks on this forum think it’s fine and dandy to bribe the lease boss to keep new offers from the landowner.

Do tell popcorn

There certainly is. It’s a good one. I’ll let t-Rex tell it.. up

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7200264 06/17/18 06:53 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Do tell popcorn

There certainly is. It’s a good one. I’ll let t-Rex tell it.. up

My story and yours won’t be the same...

Re: Lease Boss [Re: txshntr] #7200417 06/17/18 10:03 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
And mine will be just what you told me. From the landowners perspective.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7200424 06/17/18 10:10 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7200426 06/17/18 10:13 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

With your spin on it...again.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: txshntr] #7200442 06/17/18 10:26 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Nope. I just checked my dictionary. Under bribery, the 2nd example is “such as when one buys steak dinners and golf games for the ranch manager (or lease boss) who then hides higher lease offers from the rancher”. Black and white. No gray.

loser8

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7200458 06/17/18 10:42 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Truth is this folks: there are so many different hunting and lease scenarios that all are different. Each of us has their own perspective based on what we have witnessed, endured, and seen. There are very well run leases and horribly run leases. There are are good lease members and horrible lease members. There are awesome land owners and horrible land owners. There are good lease bosses and really sorry lease bosses. Same as everything else in life now days.

IMO a bad lease manager is there to benefit themselves and profit off of others. They make rules for others but think they do not have to follow the same rules. If you have experienced that then no wonder you are sour on lease managers.

A good lease manager does it because they want to be a part of a team that works to improve the property and deer. If you have experienced that then you are a lucky hunter.

So the debate between the two can go on forever but the truth is this topic is no different from every other debate in todays world. There are thing done well and things done not so well

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7200712 06/18/18 03:24 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Nope. I just checked my dictionary. Under bribery, the 2nd example is “such as when one buys steak dinners and golf games for the ranch manager (or lease boss) who then hides higher lease offers from the rancher”. Black and white. No gray.

loser8

Not all owners are micromanagers or even care about the hunters. They hire a ranch manager to make the best decision without bringing every issue to them. Taking a higher offer from a random that located the property on the internet and tried to undercut the current hunters in a shady way doesn’t seem like a good bet compared to a group that has been good stewards of the land and resources and pays on time for over 30 years.

My guess is this has more to do with the decision than a round of golf and a steak. Plus, when the ranch manager gets a percentage of profit, would think a round of golf and a steak would pale in comparison.

But what do I know...you have the dictionary rofl

Re: Lease Boss [Re: txshntr] #7200715 06/18/18 03:50 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

loser8

Not all owners are micromanagers or even care about the hunters. They hire a ranch manager to make the best decision without bringing every issue to them. Taking a higher offer from a random that located the property on the internet and tried to undercut the current hunters in a shady way doesn’t seem like a good bet compared to a group that has been good stewards of the land and resources and pays on time for over 30 years.

My guess is this has more to do with the decision than a round of golf and a steak. Plus, when the ranch manager gets a percentage of profit, would think a round of golf and a steak would pale in comparison.

But what do I know...you have the dictionary rofl

The reality is this: it's not YOUR decision or the ranch manager/lease bosses decision. It's the landowner's decision. Paying someone to prevent the information reaching the decision maker who has the most invested.... is bribery. Plain and simple. Look it up. All definitions describe it exactly that way.

I know it doesn't feel good. But it's the shoe YOU chose to wear. Suck it up buttercup.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7200724 06/18/18 04:35 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

The reality is this: it's not YOUR decision or the ranch manager/lease bosses decision. It's the landowner's decision. Paying someone to prevent the information reaching the decision maker who has the most invested.... is bribery. Plain and simple. Look it up. All definitions describe it exactly that way.

I know it doesn't feel good. But it's the shoe YOU chose to wear. Suck it up buttercup.

rofl It wasn’t my decision and I had nothing to do with the decision. Reality is that it is between the ranch manager and the owner. Couple of steaks and a round of golf didn’t sway his decision and weren’t meant too no matter how you spin it.

Feels fine to me cheers

Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7200736 06/18/18 05:31 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Our landowner could get quite a bit more than we pay. He was offered double years ago and turned it down. He rather deal with us who don't ask him for a thing and don't expect anything. Probably talked to him 3 or 4 times in 8 years. We aren't on a trophy lease so that helps.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: Txduckman] #7200745 06/18/18 07:11 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Our landowner could get quite a bit more than we pay. He was offered double years ago and turned it down. He rather deal with us who don't ask him for a thing and don't expect anything. Probably talked to him 3 or 4 times in 8 years. We aren't on a trophy lease so that helps.

Right. But it’s his decision to make. Not a lease boss or manager. The money in trophy game is typically the driver in most ranching operations. And even in the rare cases that money isn’t an issue, the owner still is interested in current value.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: txshntr] #7200746 06/18/18 07:13 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

rofl It wasn’t my decision and I had nothing to do with the decision. Reality is that it is between the ranch manager and the owner. Couple of steaks and a round of golf didn’t sway his decision and weren’t meant too no matter how you spin it.

Feels fine to me cheers

If it felt fine you’d own it.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: tlk] #7200913 06/18/18 02:05 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: tlk
Truth is this folks: there are so many different hunting and lease scenarios that all are different. Each of us has their own perspective based on what we have witnessed, endured, and seen. There are very well run leases and horribly run leases. There are are good lease members and horrible lease members. There are awesome land owners and horrible land owners. There are good lease bosses and really sorry lease bosses. Same as everything else in life now days.

IMO a bad lease manager is there to benefit themselves and profit off of others. They make rules for others but think they do not have to follow the same rules. If you have experienced that then no wonder you are sour on lease managers.

A good lease manager does it because they want to be a part of a team that works to improve the property and deer. If you have experienced that then you are a lucky hunter.

So the debate between the two can go on forever but the truth is this topic is no different from every other debate in todays world. There are thing done well and things done not so well

Well versed. Been on all sides of above and earlier this spring I moved off a very nice property due to IMO questionable lease boss antics. I did not have another lease/place lined up to move to (still looking) but I just could not fathom staying and paying my fee (which was very reasonable and not an issue) to this lease boss with the mistrust feelings stirring in me. It does not really matter to me if the lease boss is getting a good deal for him or covering his hunt fee spot as long as rules are clear, followed by all and honesty and integrity are upheld. If the lease/property provides the hunting value that I'm seeking, then all is good. However, I do prefer to deal directly with landowner and have signed lease contract directly with landowner.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7200973 06/18/18 03:25 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Right. But it’s his decision to make. Not a lease boss or manager. The money in trophy game is typically the driver in most ranching operations. And even in the rare cases that money isn’t an issue, the owner still is interested in current value.

It is not a lease bosses job to manage maximize profit for a landowner. Maybe for a ranch manager if that is in his job description. But he has a people factor too that plays one of the biggest parts in making everyone happy. LO should handle the money part of his operation and anyone wanted to one up the current leasers can just call the LO themselves. Easy to get phone numbers and email or mail a letter.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7200989 06/18/18 03:47 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Feels fine to me cheers

If it felt fine you’d own it.

I do own it. I just like listening to you ride that horse

Re: Lease Boss [Re: Txduckman] #7200993 06/18/18 03:50 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Our land owner isn’t involved at all. We deal with the ranch foreman/manager. Most the hunters have never met or even seen the owner.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7201017 06/18/18 04:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
rancher do you not get the concept that not every owner wants to be involved in or even cares about the day-to-day operation of running a ranch?

They don’t know chit about running a ranch, what’s best for the ranch, every decision that’s made, etc. Many of them don’t want to be bothered with it because they have bigger fish to fry - namely, doing the things that made them the money that allowed them to buy the ranch in the first place. That’s why they hire ranch managers and trust them to make those decisions with all factors in mind. And not every decision needs to be made with the $$ that come in this month or this year as the bottom line. Short term profits can turn into long-term losses if things aren’t run with the long term health of a ranch in mind.

Jeff Bezos probably owns as much Texas ranchland as anyone. But I can assure you he doesn’t spend much time worrying about running them. He spends his time running Amazon.

You just assume everyone should do things the way you do them. That’s your Achilles’ heel on just about every subject.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7201176 06/18/18 06:42 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
rancher do you not get the concept that not every owner wants to be involved in or even cares about the day-to-day operation of running a ranch?

They don’t know chit about running a ranch, what’s best for the ranch, every decision that’s made, etc. Many of them don’t want to be bothered with it because they have bigger fish to fry - namely, doing the things that made them the money that allowed them to buy the ranch in the first place. That’s why they hire ranch managers and trust them to make those decisions with all factors in mind. And not every decision needs to be made with the $$ that come in this month or this year as the bottom line. Short term profits can turn into long-term losses if things aren’t run with the long term health of a ranch in mind.

Jeff Bezos probably owns as much Texas ranchland as anyone. But I can assure you he doesn’t spend much time worrying about running them. He spends his time running Amazon.

You just assume everyone should do things the way you do them. That’s your Achilles’ heel on just about every subject.

If you’d read my responses you’d know I acknowledged that there are some land owners who don’t care for a number of reasons. Could have save yourself most of those keystrokes above.

In Trexs case though, the ranch manager indicated that his landowner didn’t fit that MO because he made a point to bring up the fact that his owner “wouldn’t find out about the offers because he preferred trexs group”.

I know Ted Turners ranch and operations manager. And if ol Ted found out that his employee was hiding info about the entity that provided most of his ranch income in response to a bribe, he’d find a new ranch manager pronto. His manager makes it perfectly clear at every opportunity that if the ranches don’t bring value he’ll be replaced.

So yes, there are some landowners who have ranches as passive investment only. That is a small number though and that’s not what we’re talking about. See above before you waste more keystrokes.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: Txduckman] #7201185 06/18/18 06:46 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

It is not a lease bosses job to manage maximize profit for a landowner. Maybe for a ranch manager if that is in his job description. But he has a people factor too that plays one of the biggest parts in making everyone happy. LO should handle the money part of his operation and anyone wanted to one up the current leasers can just call the LO themselves. Easy to get phone numbers and email or mail a letter.

Wasn’t talking about who’s job it was to get that info to the LO. The issue is actively hiding that info from the LO. And paying for that info to be buried.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7201242 06/18/18 07:24 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Wow what a can of worms this turned out to be?.. scared stir

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Lease Boss [Re: Team Hillbilly] #7201305 06/18/18 08:29 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Wow what a can of worms this turned out to be?.. scared stir

It was my fault, I knew where it would go but couldn’t resist...my apologies cheers

Re: Lease Boss [Re: txshntr] #7201353 06/18/18 09:06 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Our land owner isn’t involved at all. We deal with the ranch foreman/manager. Most the hunters have never met or even seen the owner.

Yes, that's exactly what I pointed out was a risk in my first post. As a landowner, if you put someone between you and your customer, you are inviting exactly what you described. The landowners intermediary accepting bribes in exchange for hiding what could be valuable information (and at least letting the landowner who has a bigger stake decide). There are landowners who don't care how much they lose as long as someone else is handling the headaches. But those are few and far. And based on the fact that in your case the manager decided NOT to tell the landowner, your landowner ain't one of them.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide