Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Adchunts] #7022843 01/03/18 03:06 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Adchunts
I haven’t found a place to hunt in Texas I can afford, so I drive 8 hours to hunt public land in Oklahoma. Old school pack my gear in, and hopefully back out with a deer. My trip this year was late October with temps in the low 20’s. Getting too old for tent camping, so may have to bite the bullet and pony up some $$.

Buy a little camper to drag up to okie it will be cheaper.

I too hunt okie public for deer. I find it much more fulfilling. I was on a mills county lease for one year. I just cannot handle sitting in a stand over looking a feeder. Not to say there is anything the matter with it. Just my preference.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #7022914 01/03/18 04:03 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: budward
Really? You miss texas hunting after you had to actually HUNT and you successfully killed a deer on public land? THAT is WAY more of an accomplishment than half the fat rednecks in this state that sit on their asses in their blind with buddy heaters...

Congrats! I enjoy hunting public more than my lease in waco because it's more of a challenge. I feel like hunting the lease is too easy sometimes.

To me, the story behind the deer is way more cool than the actual size of the deer. I'm more proud of my public land buck this year I got with my bow than any of the deer I have shot sitting on my butt in front of the corn feeder...

If that is the case then why do you still lease and sit on your butt watching a corn feeder?

Why have a lease at all?

Exactly, just I'm better than you bs mindset. If that's how you feel go "HUNT" public and compete with everybody for your little 3 yr old scrub buck. I'll keep hunting my way for something worth talking about.

I've got a lease with no feeders or blinds and see 20+ deer a sit. Still don't think a 110" public land buck is superior to my 140" buck killed without feeders, you couldn't pay me to waste a buck tag on a 110" deer, no matter public or private.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7022993 01/03/18 04:47 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
We just hunt smarter...........

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: 8pointdrop] #7023002 01/03/18 04:52 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Really? You miss texas hunting after you had to actually HUNT and you successfully killed a deer on public land? THAT is WAY more of an accomplishment than half the fat rednecks in this state that sit on their asses in their blind with buddy heaters...

Congrats! I enjoy hunting public more than my lease in waco because it's more of a challenge. I feel like hunting the lease is too easy sometimes.

To me, the story behind the deer is way more cool than the actual size of the deer. I'm more proud of my public land buck this year I got with my bow than any of the deer I have shot sitting on my butt in front of the corn feeder...

If that is the case then why do you still lease and sit on your butt watching a corn feeder?

Why have a lease at all?

Exactly, just I'm better than you bs mindset. If that's how you feel go "HUNT" public and compete with everybody for your little 3 yr old scrub buck. I'll keep hunting my way for something worth talking about.

I've got a lease with no feeders or blinds and see 20+ deer a sit. Still don't think a 110" public land buck is superior to my 140" buck killed without feeders, you couldn't pay me to waste a buck tag on a 110" deer, no matter public or private.

Yes you don't have any "I'm better than you" in you at all. roflmao

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7023046 01/03/18 05:14 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
It just gets old seeing the public hunting crowd act like it's something to be revered hunting public ground and being successful.

I hunt public ground in other states. It's fine, but bet your boots if I had access to private ground I would pick private 99% of the time. I don't think it's anything noble to hunt or kill on public ground. Harder? Yes, in most cases it is but it doesent make it better

I've killed a few animals on public ground. They didn't mean Any more to me than my private land kills high or low fence. Shot an elk this past October on public land. I found a elky looking spot and a nice 6x6 walked out at dusk and I plugged it. No great amount of skill necessary there other than I can shoot well from field positions. Year before that I spotted a mule deer from almost 2 miles away, drove a mile then stalked another mile to him and got to within 300 yards and then shot him. It was on private ground.

Guess which one I pat myself on the back more for?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: ducknbass] #7023083 01/03/18 05:39 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Why have a lease at all?

Get tired of the bull chit comments, you're one of the best at it. Look back on my posts you won't find any saying my lease or deer is better than anybody. Hell you won't find a pic of any of my deer on here or Facebook. When a man claims his puny public buck "is better" I take offence to that. I'm not fat, I am a little bit redneck, and I don't sit in a warm blind over a feeder. To claim you're better at hunting because of where or how you do it is just trying to convince yourself a subpar deer is better than it is. Archery guys burn me up too claiming a 120" with an arrow is better than a 150" with a gun...ok sure it is, whatever makes you feel good about your deer I guess.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #7023087 01/03/18 05:42 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
It just gets old seeing the public hunting crowd act like it's something to be revered hunting public ground and being successful.

I hunt public ground in other states. It's fine, but bet your boots if I had access to private ground I would pick private 99% of the time. I don't think it's anything noble to hunt or kill on public ground. Harder? Yes, in most cases it is but it doesent make it better

I've killed a few animals on public ground. They didn't mean Any more to me than my private land kills high or low fence. Shot an elk this past October on public land. I found a elky looking spot and a nice 6x6 walked out at dusk and I plugged it. No great amount of skill necessary there other than I can shoot well from field positions. Year before that I spotted a mule deer from almost 2 miles away, drove a mile then stalked another mile to him and got to within 300 yards and then shot him. It was on private ground.

Guess which one I pat myself on the back more for?

Easy your private mulie.....Sums up what I meant, you just say it better lol.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: 8pointdrop] #7023103 01/03/18 05:51 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Get tired of the bull chit comments, you're one of the best at it. Look back on my posts you won't find any saying my lease or deer is better than anybody. Hell you won't find a pic of any of my deer on here or Facebook. When a man claims his puny public buck "is better" I take offence to that. I'm not fat, I am a little bit redneck, and I don't sit in a warm blind over a feeder. To claim you're better at hunting because of where or how you do it is just trying to convince yourself a subpar deer is better than it is. Archery guys burn me up too claiming a 120" with an arrow is better than a 150" with a gun...ok sure it is, whatever makes you feel good about your deer I guess.

I've clearly caused some diaper rash at some point. No clue when but I apologize. But I re read your post. Still lots of I'm better than you in it.

Last edited by ducknbass; 01/03/18 05:51 PM.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7023108 01/03/18 05:53 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
To each his or her own. Work brought me to TX and I now hunt deer in TX but I would much rather go back to my native CO and hunt deer and elk by glassing and spot and stalk than sitting in a bling over a feeder. However since I now teach HS it is hard to get a few weeks off in Oct or Nov to do that so I shoot whitetail does here for meat but to me it really isn't hunting, more like grocery shopping.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7023109 01/03/18 05:53 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I own property in North Tx that I hunt exclusively now for deer after many years of paying for leases and driving all over the state. Also hunted public land in Colorado and Idaho. I'll take Texas any day! The change of scenery in the other states is great as is the trout fishing but I am far more successful on private land whether a lease or owned and not because of hunting over a feeder. There are not that many legal bucks in my area (AR county) but they are getting older and better now. I have 5 feeders set up with cameras but only have pics of 2 legal bucks near feeders all season and they were not eating, just stalking does. I have shot does at a feeder when legal and when they needed thinned out to get the ratio back in order but I can only think of 1 buck that I shot over a feeder. All of the rest were spot and stalk after scouting and sightings.
I do like to get near with a vehicle instead of packing out, but in the other states I was also able to drive nearby to fetch the game, and at my age now I especially like the convenience of staying in a motor home.
It means more to me now to watch the animals on my place, help to manage the herd and scout for a buck that I want and then hunt it by stalking or ambushing it once I figure out its routine.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7023141 01/03/18 06:14 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Moral of the story
Hunt where you love how you love and shoot what you want!

Dryfire is getting up in age I am sure his body was wishing for an rtv.

Last edited by ducknbass; 01/03/18 06:17 PM.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: ducknbass] #7023147 01/03/18 06:23 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Moral of the story
Hunt where you love how you love and shoot what you want!

Dryfire is getting up in age I am sure his body was wishing for an rtv.

Totally agree! I find now that I am older better planning is needed to make a hunt enjoyable instead of a chore. A 4 wheeler and a RV can help a lot and can be cheaper than paying for leases especially if you already have a good public area to hunt.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7023218 01/03/18 07:27 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I would prefer a 90" deer with a bow on public land any day over a 150" deer on private sitting in a blind with a heater. The latter isn't hunting and you shouldn't call yourself a hunter if you do it. Same with hunting high fences. That isn't hunting, it's just killing and pretty pathetic too.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7023247 01/03/18 07:53 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Cherokee Mingan
I would prefer a 90" deer with a bow on public land any day over a 150" deer on private sitting in a blind with a heater. The latter isn't hunting and you shouldn't call yourself a hunter if you do it. Same with hunting high fences. That isn't hunting, it's just killing and pretty pathetic too.

Pathetic is a good description of your post and contribution to this thread.

So are we all suppose to believe your a REAL HUNTER now?

I'm not buying.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7023481 01/03/18 10:18 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Why can’t you just enjoy spending your free time the way you like, and let others do the same?

Who gave you the right to define hunting as only the way you do it?

You seem to have a need to puff yourself up and denigrate others. Hope you feel manly now.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7023721 01/04/18 12:55 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

So you are the guy shooting all the 2 year old deer

Guys we can close the case on who's been killing the immature bucks in the national forests

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #7023738 01/04/18 01:14 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

So you are the guy shooting all the 2 year old deer

Guys we can close the case on who's been killing the immature bucks in the national forests

cheers

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7023739 01/04/18 01:15 AM
JLP83 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
As the THF turns

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024040 01/04/18 05:08 AM
JacobHerman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Can't use a feeder on private land either in TN. Good old scouting and waiting.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024046 01/04/18 05:42 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
What I love about hunting in Texas is you can hunt almost any wY you can imagine. You can sit in a deer stand, ground blind,tree stand, spot and stalk, night hunt with thermal, shoothogs frim a helicopter, hunt HF or LF, hunt food plots, hunt feeders, hunt travel corridors, hunt water sources, trap yr around, kill non native species yr around, you can hunt private land or public, anyone can use a crossbow. Do what makes you happy and don’t bash others for not doing it like you and you will be a much happier person. Personally I just love to hunt and will do it however I want as long as it’s legal and I’ll do it in as many ways as I want. God bless Texas.

By the way Indians would have probably been happy to be able to hunt a feeder

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: gusick] #7024080 01/04/18 10:39 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: gusick
I like duck hunting as much as the next guy, but it's a pain in the asss. There is somthing to be said for dove hunting. You don't need camo, waders, a boat, calls or decoys, just a lawn chair and a shotgun. You don't even freeze your butt of while doing it.

Duck hunting's easy, just drive around the ranch and sneak up on the ponds. Ease up to the dam and fire the first volley of shots while on the water and you can usually get a couple of more shots off on the rise. 2 or three ponds and your done. Then change loads and drive around and skillet shoot quail for a while. No camo, waders, boat or decoys to mess with and you have the option of a heater or and AC.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: SapperTitan] #7024082 01/04/18 10:54 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
By the way Indians would have probably been happy to be able to hunt a feeder

Drive hunts and running them over cliff's was much more effective, snares on game trail was another productive means. Once they got guns it was little camo covered Teepee's over water holes and piles of whatever ever feed they could accumulate.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024115 01/04/18 12:11 PM
C
Cherokee Mingan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I have absolutely no problem with what anyone does hunting as long as it's not bothering me and it's legal. My post was just to see how many would take the bait, nothing more. My apologies.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024118 01/04/18 12:16 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I do both. I hunt public land in NM and next year I will hunt in CO for elk. I also hunt here sitting in a blind over a corned sendero or one of the feeders. As one mentioned here earlier, age has a lot to do with how I hunt now days but what I like more is having venison in the freezer. On Monday the wife and I put up 28 lbs of sausage, 18 lbs of ground venison and the rest in roasts or backstraps. Some of it will go to my mom and dad who enjoy venison as much as anyone else but being close to 90 just can't get out anymore. As long as I hunt the deer legally and ethically, and ethically is up for interpretation, I pretty much don't care what anyone else thinks. But my freezer is full.

Re: I miss Texas hunting [Re: Dry Fire] #7024239 01/04/18 01:54 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I hunted public land 1 time, around Palestine. The amount of asshattery was astonishing. You couldn't pay me to hunt public land. How more people are not accidentally shot, I'll never know. You couldn't throw your hat & not hit somebody else.

Now, back to the purse swinging in this thread, where cheapskates extoll the virtues of shooting puny does & immature bucks before someone else 50 yds away shoots them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide