Forums46
Topics539,866
Posts9,755,100
Members87,193
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #7014207 12/28/17 06:02 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Originally Posted By: therancher

First. You’re wrong in example one. I can pay a million bucks for a deer and he still doesn’t belong to me. That’s how ridiculous the states laws are. I have never bought anything but does but I did kill all the “states” deer off one of my HF ranches. So I do have a known genetic line on that place.

Of course there is no “moral high ground” in either. And I shared why I didn’t like hunters cherry picking my fence lines on the other thread.

Sometimes I'm not real smart so help me here...

So, IF you have never bought anything but Doe, AND have killed off all the states deer........ How are those doe getting bred????????

When I bought this ranch it had some improved genetic deer in a small pasture. Over 2 years we used mld to kill off the hill country natives and then released the better deer in a larger pasture. I then bought 20 south Texas unbred does from a breeder to put in with those deer.

I’m currently killing all the deer out of the next 500 acre pasture to make room for these better deer and then one more pasture over the next few years.

It’s a long tedious process but it’s rewarding in several ways.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: therancher] #7014257 12/28/17 12:07 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Is the fence jumper a moslem?

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014279 12/28/17 12:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I haven't read all the posts but did not see an answer to the question from a legal perspective.

As I understand it, you don't have to let anyone on your property to recover a deer.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Texas Dan] #7014289 12/28/17 12:51 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
I haven't read all the posts but did not see an answer to the question from a legal perspective.

As I understand it, you don't have to let anyone on your property to recover a deer.

In Texas, you do not legally have to let anyone in your property. It is against the law to trespass without consent from the land owner.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: txshntr] #7014339 12/28/17 01:37 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr

In Texas, you do not legally have to let anyone in your property. It is against the law to trespass without consent from the land owner.

And if they’re toting a gun... well, I guess we shouldn’t go there..

FWIW if I have a good relationship with the neighbor I would have no problem with them recovering an animal. In fact, on two of my HF neighbors places we have let each other bring hunters onto each other’s places to hunt unwounded escapees.

Now, if a knucklehead put a blind on our fence line without first discussing the NEED to hunt that fence line... I doubt seriously if I’d let them. Because you see, decent folks out here simply don’t do stuff like that without showing the courtesy of talking to you first.

Last edited by therancher; 12/28/17 01:39 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014378 12/28/17 02:21 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Old subject but one that pops up every year and it doesn't get any better. Allot of members have hunted on my place and verify what I have to deal with as far as fence line hunters. Right now I have a total of ten blinds and feeders surrounding my place, all withing 100 yards and some withing touching distance from my side of the fence. I feed 12 spots on 3 sections with no feeding area's within 200 yards of the fence and I have no visible blinds on the place. The little 5-10 and 20 acre places on my south side are the biggest headache with 7 blinds on a 1 mile stretch of fence. I've found drag marks and they've even cut holes in the fence. The reason they set up this way is mostly my fault in wanting to keep a healthy population of deer in that area. I've got the only natural pasture left in that area and have 3 different water sources (All wells). I feed 4 to 5 thousand pounds of corn a month in defense just to keep the deer from jumping the fences and needing to feed elsewhere. Last year there was a total of 22 deer shot on the other side of my south fence and all were shot within 100 yards of the fence line. Before anybody says it let me just say that their places have no resident deer, all the bedding area's are on my side. There's absolutely nothing I can do about this with the exception of the dragging deer back and fence cutting. The common courtesy of not crowding others has gone to the wayside, no different than what I hear the duck hunters complain about or fishermen. Respect for your neighbor is lost these days and getting worse. This leads to another subject which we're seeing more and more of and that's landowners hi-fencing their property. Some do it for genetics and control while others do it simply to cut their loses due to the unregulated and out of control hunting of their neighbors. Can't afford 8 miles of hi-fence but 1 mile along the south would sure stop some of the problems. And as far as the state owning the deer I don't see it that way. They don't supply the land, the water or the feed it takes to keep these deer healthy I do! I control the population on this place and I determine what does and doesn't come off of it. If everybody shot what was on their tags like my neighbors do this population would be gone. I've never made a penny off of hunting this place and never will, luckily I don't have to but I sure feel for those who rely on hunting to pay the bill's. Until this is under control all you're going to see is more and more people getting fenced out and less and less affordable hunting, with nobody to blame but hunters themselves. It's a sad thing to watch.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 12/28/17 02:23 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: HWY_MAN] #7014398 12/28/17 02:39 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Old subject but one that pops up every year and it doesn't get any better. Allot of members have hunted on my place and verify what I have to deal with as far as fence line hunters. Right now I have a total of ten blinds and feeders surrounding my place, all withing 100 yards and some withing touching distance from my side of the fence. I feed 12 spots on 3 sections with no feeding area's within 200 yards of the fence and I have no visible blinds on the place. The little 5-10 and 20 acre places on my south side are the biggest headache with 7 blinds on a 1 mile stretch of fence. I've found drag marks and they've even cut holes in the fence. The reason they set up this way is mostly my fault in wanting to keep a healthy population of deer in that area. I've got the only natural pasture left in that area and have 3 different water sources (All wells). I feed 4 to 5 thousand pounds of corn a month in defense just to keep the deer from jumping the fences and needing to feed elsewhere. Last year there was a total of 22 deer shot on the other side of my south fence and all were shot within 100 yards of the fence line. Before anybody says it let me just say that their places have no resident deer, all the bedding area's are on my side. There's absolutely nothing I can do about this with the exception of the dragging deer back and fence cutting. The common courtesy of not crowding others has gone to the wayside, no different than what I hear the duck hunters complain about or fishermen. Respect for your neighbor is lost these days and getting worse. This leads to another subject which we're seeing more and more of and that's landowners hi-fencing their property. Some do it for genetics and control while others do it simply to cut their loses due to the unregulated and out of control hunting of their neighbors. Can't afford 8 miles of hi-fence but 1 mile along the south would sure stop some of the problems. And as far as the state owning the deer I don't see it that way. They don't supply the land, the water or the feed it takes to keep these deer healthy I do! I control the population on this place and I determine what does and doesn't come off of it. If everybody shot what was on their tags like my neighbors do this population would be gone. I've never made a penny off of hunting this place and never will, luckily I don't have to but I sure feel for those who rely on hunting to pay the bill's. Until this is under control all you're going to see is more and more people getting fenced out and less and less affordable hunting, with nobody to blame but hunters themselves. It's a sad thing to watch.

It certainly is sad. No one to blame but themselves for high fencing.

The worst thing that can happen for a landowner AND for deer, is for a place to get split up into mini ranches on your border.

If you do get to the point of fencing I think you’ll be surprised how cheap it can be.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014421 12/28/17 02:53 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I can see where having to look at the dude next door in a blind would suxx. Id rather watch half naked chicks walk around a pool, all I have is trees though! yawn

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014438 12/28/17 03:10 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
How often does this happen. And could you possibly say just this one time if this happens again you need to fix your problem.l have been hunting over 40 years I have always established recovery rights with adjoining hunters. And found this a good opertunity to discus concerns . In 44 years I have killed my share but have only had to cross fence 2 times both bow kills one close to fence and one 300 yards from fence no problem with neighboring property.Sitting in stand on fence right now.

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: HWY_MAN] #7014451 12/28/17 03:22 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

It is sad and a reflection of the world we live in, being too many that care only for what affects them not others. I agree with 2506 in that if I was contacted by the neighbor, I would rather allow them access so I at least know what their killing and maybe builds some kind of rapport. If I were in your shoes, I would respond to the situation the most effective legal means I could..... High fence that side of your ranch.

MF, if they are the neighbor you describe them to be I recommend the same.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7014463 12/28/17 03:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Something has changed for sure. As a kid, it was commonplace for hounds to run deer across multiple properties and no one had a problem with it. And to the hunter who was lucky enough to kill a deer in front of them, more power to him.

But back then, the entire focus was on meat. Antlers were secondary. It's the opposite today.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Texas Dan] #7014467 12/28/17 03:37 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Something has changed for sure. As a kid, it was commonplace for hounds to run deer across multiple properties and no one had a problem with it. And to the hunter who was lucky enough to kill a deer in front of them, more power to him.

But back then, the entire focus was on meat. Antlers were secondary. It's the opposite today.

Was that big ranch country or big woods with lots of small properties?

Trophy bucks were not a valued commodity then like they are now.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Texas Dan] #7014563 12/28/17 04:56 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

I think you are dead on here Dan. The thing that has changed is the amount of hunters that think they should be able to control what others do on their own land. As others have stated it is a sad thing to watch for sure. Trophy hunting and HFs will eventually ruin hunting as we know it.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7014569 12/28/17 05:01 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Was that big ranch country or big woods with lots of small properties?

Trophy bucks were not a valued commodity then like they are now.

I can speak to that since my dad retired to east Texas in the 70’s.

It’s not true that it was “commonplace for the hounds to run deer across multiple properties and no one cared”. Almost ALL of the hound hunting was done on timber company property back then and people treated those huge tracts like crap. Even the ones with hunting clubs weren’t much better.

When the timber companies would complain or threaten to limit access suddenly a fire would get started. If the game warden would interfere he’d get shot at.

It was if it’s brown it’s down (even though there were no doe tags available). Deer populations were decimated and virtually all deer were nocturnal. Literally the worst hunting on the planet.

My dad owned private property bordering timber co land and all of our private neighbors certainly didn’t want outlaw (virtually all dog hunters were outlaws) dog hunters trespassing.

It wasn’t until dog hunting was outlawed that east Texas had any decent deer numbers or quality.

Anyone fondly reminiscing about those “good ol days” isn’t someone I’d want hunting my fenceline...

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: BOONER] #7014577 12/28/17 05:07 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BOONER

I think you are dead on here Dan. The thing that has changed is the amount of hunters that think they should be able to control what others do on their own land. As others have stated it is a sad thing to watch for sure. Trophy hunting and HFs will eventually ruin hunting as we know it.

Which one is it? In one breath you say a person can do what they want on their own land and in the other you say a person is ruining hunting by doing what he wants on his own land. Just as a person has a right to hunt a fence-line I also have the right to make that fence line a high fence.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: BOONER] #7014587 12/28/17 05:11 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

And who would those people be? Certainly you’re not implying trophy hunting HF folks are “wanting to control what others do on their land” 😂.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: HWY_MAN] #7014769 12/28/17 08:05 PM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E

Which one is it? In one breath you say a person can do what they want on their own land and in the other you say a person is ruining hunting by doing what he wants on his own land. Just as a person has a right to hunt a fence-line I also have the right to make that fence line a high fence.

That's not really a which one is it conundrum. You can do what you want on your own land, while also ruining hunting.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Esh and Hattie] #7014990 12/28/17 11:36 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
You can do what you want on your own land, while also ruining hunting.

I believe that's the basis of this whole discussion.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7015037 12/29/17 12:13 AM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I have HF and LF. I get along very well with all my neighbors. If one shoots an animal and he needs to try to recover it it in a LF place that is perfectly alright. If they want to recover it in the HF then there may be a problem.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7015161 12/29/17 01:52 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
It may be time for Texas to go to a limited draw, instead of buying tags over the counter.

Last edited by gusick; 12/29/17 01:53 AM.
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: gusick] #7015182 12/29/17 02:04 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: gusick
It may be time for Texas to go to a limited draw, instead of buying tags over the counter.

Huh?!

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7015216 12/29/17 02:24 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's a no brainer for me. If the neighbor called and asked, I would let him get his deer and would help him find it. If for nothing else, for the following two reasons:
1. When I run the scenario through my head it just feels like the right thing to do.
2. Kharma virtually guarantees if I say no I'll need to track a deer onto his place next weekend.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: gusick] #7015221 12/29/17 02:25 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

What in the wide world of sports does limited draw versus tags on a license have to do with allowing a neighbor to recover a deer they shot that ended up on your property.

Limited draw is gonna somehow stop deer from jumping over or going under a fence...

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: Sneaky] #7015231 12/29/17 02:32 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Huh?!

Me no understand either.
But with about 7 million whitetails in the state, that seems unnecessary. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Allowing deer recovery [Re: maximus_flavius] #7015245 12/29/17 02:47 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I may have misunderstood everyone else. I thought the common complaint was neighbors shooting too many deer.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide