Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,362
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011769 12/26/17 02:33 PM
R
RafterH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I have a Savage LH in 300 WSM. Will do anything I ask and am capable of myself. Synthetic with accutrigger. Mine prefers 180 gr. accubonds. Not too heavy. Have carried it up and down in AZ and NM. Don't use it much here in Texas, but I would not part with it either. Have taken it to 500 yards on targets with great success. Not much for game over 400 myself. I think one like this would fit your needs well. Just put good glass on it and go.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: J.G.] #7011774 12/26/17 02:38 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I would not recommend that twist, for that bullet, at that velocity. Good chance it would spin the jacket off. But it won't do that at the far end of its' path, it is going to do it before it made it 100 yards. The mid-air "poof", is a sight to see.

Thank you! I wasn't trying to argue just pointing out why I would prefer a slower twist, just me and my addiction to the fast movers. Our needs differ.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011775 12/26/17 02:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Another straightforward question about hunting rifle options sidetracked into a rifle building thread and, finally, fuss.
Again.

You don’t have to make every rifle buy a construction project if you don’t want to. Buy a good rifle (Tikka, for example) and see how it shoots. It’ll probably shoot as well as any plumbing project you spend 3-6 months and a bunch of time messing with.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: J.G.] #7011778 12/26/17 02:41 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I would not recommend that twist, for that bullet, at that velocity. Good chance it would spin the jacket off. But it won't do that at the far end of its' path, it is going to do it before it made it 100 yards. The mid-air "poof", is a sight to see.

Out of curiosity what twist would you recommend for that combo?

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011783 12/26/17 02:43 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Hwy,

a 125 - 130 6.5 will work fine in a 1:8”, especially bullets appropriate for elk and bear as mentioned by the OP.

I’ve gone elk hunting exactly once, so take my comments fwiw. I hunted with a friend that guided for elk for more than 30 years. His view was most modern cartridges were more than adequate for elk, bullets are what mattered. His list of preferred bullets were Partitions or Barnes, although Accubonds were acceptable, end of list.

Having said that, he asked what rifles I owned, and said bring my 308 and 300 Win Mag Montana Rifle Company rifles. The 308 was plenty for elk, but he had a bad experience with a sow black bear a couple of years before. Because of that close encounter, he wanted me to carry the 300 Win Mag MRC with the Barnes load I had worked up (165 TTSX). He did not trust the 185 Berger to reliably penetrate on a bear at point blank range.

We hiked a lot of miles in rain or sleet everyday except for one. The adverse conditions did not bother the rifle at all. The scope is a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.

I have three Montana Rifle Company rifles, 260, 308, and 300 Win Mag. that have been shot quite a bit. All have been very accurate and very reliable right out of the box, nothing further required.

The three position safety blocking the firing pin, the gas deflector blocking the left raceway, and the large bolt shroud which is another gas block are design features I really like. I have seen a factory rifle round split in the body in a R700. The shooter let out a yelp and had powder particles on his face, so it is a factor to consider. Paul Mauser lost an eye to gas blowback, which led to his classic design.

Their barrels take about 40 - 60 shots to really settle down. They are very well built, very durable and reliable. Definitely can give them a recommendation.

For chambering, 7 Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag of the choices you listed, although the 270 with a good bullet should work fine.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7011786 12/26/17 02:46 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Another straightforward question about hunting rifle options sidetracked into a rifle building thread and, finally, fuss.
Again.

You don’t have to make every rifle buy a construction project if you don’t want to. Buy a good rifle (Tikka, for example) and see how it shoots. It’ll probably shoot as well as any plumbing project you spend 3-6 months and a bunch of time messing with.

But if he’s earmarked $2000 to spend on his perfect hunting rifle, why not get the best rifle he can. This is a forum, not a Q&A page. It’s expected that ever topic is going to stray a little bit. Would be a pretty boring place to be with no personality if everybody just answered his question with their favorite brand. It’s a discussion.

Personally, if I wanted a light to mid weight rifle, I’d find somewhere to handle the kimber cooper and montana rifle companies offerings then decide if they would meet my needs. I think you’d get more value for your money if you had a semi custom rifle put together.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011789 12/26/17 02:50 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: TFF Caribou] #7011795 12/26/17 02:54 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

he's a lefty, other than that, perfect choice. some forget the greatness of the 7mag.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: Buzzsaw] #7011798 12/26/17 02:55 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

he's a lefty, other than that, perfect choice. some forget the greatness of the 7mag.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that part.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: patriot07] #7011800 12/26/17 02:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas

Browning Hell's Canyon is 26 Nosler seems to fit the criteria. Even has a McMillan Game Scout.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearm...-left-hand.html

Not a huge Browning fan, but that's a nice rifle!

I like browning, but hate that stock.

I would love a hells canyon speed but it only comes RH

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: HWY_MAN] #7011807 12/26/17 03:06 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Out of curiosity what twist would you recommend for that combo?

A couple good resources here, for this very topic. Scroll down to "twist rate chart"

http://riflebarrels.com/calibers-and-twist-rates/

http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: jeffbird] #7011817 12/26/17 03:08 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Hwy,

a 125 - 130 6.5 will work fine in a 1:8”, especially bullets appropriate for elk and bear as mentioned by the OP.

I’ve gone elk hunting exactly once, so take my comments fwiw. I hunted with a friend that guided for elk for more than 30 years. His view was most modern cartridges were more than adequate for elk, bullets are what mattered. His list of preferred bullets were Partitions or Barnes, although Accubonds were acceptable, end of list.

Having said that, he asked what rifles I owned, and said bring my 308 and 300 Win Mag Montana Rifle Company rifles. The 308 was plenty for elk, but he had a bad experience with a sow black bear a couple of years before. Because of that close encounter, he wanted me to carry the 300 Win Mag MRC with the Barnes load I had worked up (165 TTSX). He did not trust the 185 Berger to reliably penetrate on a bear at point blank range.

We hiked a lot of miles in rain or sleet everyday except for one. The adverse conditions did not bother the rifle at all. The scope is a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.

I have three Montana Rifle Company rifles, 260, 308, and 300 Win Mag. that have been shot quite a bit. All have been very accurate and very reliable right out of the box, nothing further required.

The three position safety blocking the firing pin, the gas deflector blocking the left raceway, and the large bolt shroud which is another gas block are design features I really like. I have seen a factory rifle round split in the body in a R700. The shooter let out a yelp and had powder particles on his face, so it is a factor to consider. Paul Mauser lost an eye to gas blowback, which led to his classic design.

Their barrels take about 40 - 60 shots to really settle down. They are very well built, very durable and reliable. Definitely can give them a recommendation.

how is the quality of the Montana Rifle Company rifles? I mean the fit and finish?

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: TFF Caribou] #7011819 12/26/17 03:11 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Oh yeah. Forgot about that part.

We, as lefties, are often bound to build, or highly modify to get what we want. For instance, I searched high and low for a LH Tikka Varmint .223, nope, not available in left hand. If it were available I would not change a thing about the rifle, just develop a load, and run it. Instead, I again, had to buy a donor rifle, and buy a barrel, and get those parts to my gunsmith. I will have an additional $600 invested over what a RH shooter would. However, my end product will in fact be better. A higher quality barrel, with much tighter tolerances during machining.

It is just the price that has to be paid as a LH bolt action shooter.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011821 12/26/17 03:13 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I am not interested in building a rifle, however not opposed to having someone build it for me.

that Alamo precision rifle would in fact be perfect if the bolt was on the opposite side of the receiver.

i'm not a long range (400 + yard ) shooter, and won't ever be. I'm not all that concerned about the ballistics of a bullet when it hits at 750 yards i'm concerned about what it does when it hits hide, meat and bone at 150-350 yards. I also wont have time to set up the rifle on a bipod, get a wind reading, etc. My elk I shot took about 30 seconds from him coming out of the woods, putting glass on him, getting the rifle up and me to start shooting. Most of my game is shot very quickly by most peoples standards. animals just don't hang around very long for me

i'm not gonna judge a rifle negatively if I can get 3/4"-1/2" MOA from it.....hell I don't know if I had a true 1/2" MOA rifle if I could shoot a group that tight.

Looking for something in the 6 1/2-7lb raw rifle weight, in a 7mm, .300 wsm or a .300 win.

the .300 wby is just too much gun for what i'm wanting. if I want to get beat up like that when I pull the trigger I would get a .338 win mag

If they had the Mark V ultralight in .270 wby or 7mm wby mag I would already be done shopping

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011836 12/26/17 03:24 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Fitting of parts is excellent. Finish on the X2 is matte bead blast, so not high gloss like your Weatherby rifles. The matte finish is good for hunting to prevent reflections and shine, also it hides rough use better.

The Montana Rifle Company really is a resurrection of the pre-64 Model 70 with significant safety improvements. The MRC also uses the original M70 trigger which generally is regarded as one of the best and most reliable ever made.

TT85,
since you like Weatherby products, also look at the Vanguard.

The 270 you already have shooting 150’s is another option to consider.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011843 12/26/17 03:30 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The Tikka would fit your bill fine IMO. It’s light and they shoot fine. I don’t mind spending whatever on a rifle I want, but if I were a lefty I would get the Tikka in .300 Win or WSM, put a high end Leupold (probably a VX5 or 6 HD) on it, and go hunting.

The MRC would be probably be a good choice too if you like the controlled feed action. Jeff likes them and that’s a pretty good testimonial.

Nothing wrong with having one built if that’s what you want to do either. Lots of folks enjoy getting one built to their specs. It’s just up to you.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011847 12/26/17 03:32 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Getting a rifle/ load shooting as tight as possible is the removing of factors that cause a missed shot. Removing rifle, ammo, base, rings, scope as factors, leaves only the shooter as the last factor. Once all the equipment is nailed down solid, all one has to do is put the reticle where they want it, have edge to edge clarity, maintian good trigger control/ follow-through and the bullet will go where he wants it to go.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011859 12/26/17 03:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
At 400 yards and under, on an under MOA rifle another 1/4” or even 1/2” isn’t going to make a bit of difference or cause one single missed shot.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011891 12/26/17 04:06 PM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I would go with this and call it good. Save the money for some nice glass.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXB470-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-LH-7MM-Rem-Mag-S-S-SYN-243--ba.aspx

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: Theringworm] #7011903 12/26/17 04:13 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Theringworm

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXB470-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-LH-7MM-Rem-Mag-S-S-SYN-243--ba.aspx

I cant bring myself to buy that rifle. They just don't do it for me.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011906 12/26/17 04:16 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I’m predicting the MRC may be in your future then. smile

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: txtrophy85] #7011908 12/26/17 04:19 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

ah, smart man peep

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7012180 12/26/17 07:44 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I’m predicting the MRC may be in your future then. smile

Talked to them and that is most likely the builder I am going with.

The caliber selection is incredible

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: HWY_MAN] #7012381 12/26/17 10:17 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Quote:
I wouldn't shoot a 100 or 125 gr 6.5mm in the first place.

So there ya go, that's all you needed to say. I specifically said I like 100's and 125's so I'll ask again. Would you shoot 100 grain and 125 grain bullets from a 26 with a 1-8 and expect good results at the far end of it's velocity capabilities with that bullet? Let me rephrase that. Would you recommend a 1-8 twist for someone shooting 100 and 125 grain bullets in the 3500 fps range for a 26?

I don't think you would have an issue if you are using Partitions or Accubonds. They aren't varmint bullets that will spin apart. If I had any concerns, I would email Nosler. They designed the cartridge and the bullets and they would know best if there are any concerns.

Re: Help me decided on the last hunting rifle I may ever purchase [Re: Buzzsaw] #7012387 12/26/17 10:19 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

ah, smart man peep

Buzz, never bad mouth the Tikka on the THF!

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide