Re: Custom Rifles [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6996254 12/14/17 06:59 PM
G
glb1955 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: glb1955
Full custom should be built off of an action other than Rem, Tikka, etc. There are several companies that offer those. Mine are the semi-custom. I can't justify paying the extra money for anything else.
If you put a barrel on a Tikka, which I did and don't regret it, then it should be considered semi-custom. It will be custom to you, but, like one person told me, if you build a rifle off of a Remington 700 then you still have a Remington 700. Targets and/or animals don't really know what they are shot with. And Chad can get ammo to work for you.

just my 2 cents worth.

The whole custom vs semi is dumb,

So all the custom rifles are custom because they have semi- custom actions? Aka remington cloned and twicked actions?

All of mine are considered custom to me because they are built to my specs using actions that have been worked on. I just know that some people don't consider them full 'customs' because of what action is used, and I am not one of those.

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996315 12/14/17 07:36 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Personally I don't call it a full custom unless I built the action. Everything else I do is semi-custom. But, I'm hardcore like that. The words "custom" and "gunmaker" are thrown around too much.

Last edited by TDK; 12/14/17 07:40 PM.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996336 12/14/17 07:54 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I have never understood the whole semi-custom thing. To me, if you are tearing down a rifle and having it rebuilt exactly to your specs, then it is a custom. Doesn't matter what action is being used. Guess I am just old school.

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: JTPinTX] #6996364 12/14/17 08:11 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
I have never understood the whole semi-custom thing. To me, if you are tearing down a rifle and having it rebuilt exactly to your specs, then it is a custom. Doesn't matter what action is being used. Guess I am just old school.

Probably because most don't have it built to their specs.

Ill probably never own what some would call a Full Custom because the only reason I'm looking to custom is accuracy and for the most part I don't believe a full custom will shoot any more accurately than a properly bedded savage/Remington/tika/wby/etc. action with a high quality aftermarket barrel and high quality ammo. Fluting and paint doesn't interest me, I don't care for any bottom metal or magazine other than what came on the gun I bought and to me goofy bolt knobs etc are for aesthetics and I don't like them. Pretty much as custom as I care to get is my savage with a pre-fit barrel from a reputable maker and I can understand why some would balk at calling it a custom and why you would differentiate it from a run of the mill savage.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996450 12/14/17 09:13 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
The whole custom/semi-custom discussion comes up from time to time on here. If like TDK said he builds the whole gun for a customer including action that no doubt a full custom.

Screw a barrel and bed the factory stock or an aftermarket stock on a rifle has no where near the work involved and "customization" as a custom like TDK does.

Good Semi custom jobs IMO have a smoother action that is square to the barrel, the action worked over so it is smooth and locking lugs mate in their recesses with full lug contact. The barrel is concentric and mated to the receiver as perfectly as possible for a full concentric mating.

I have one that is as custom as I will ever own, it is a mishmash of parts to an extent that I wish I could find and talk to the builder. The action is a combination of a Mauser and 1903 that has a section in the middle removed so it is the right length for a 44Mag. It has a 16.25 inch McGowen barrel with Williams sights and full length walnut stock and uses Remington 788 44Mag magazines. Serial number on that rifle is R-001. it wasn't built for me but I figure the action was piece parted together from action parts the Smith had from other guns in the past, at one time actions fro long Weatherby and H&H cartridges were not plentiful and they would take two Springfield or Mauser actions to make one action with the length to handle the longer cartridges figure mine was made from a couple of those left over action pieces. Accuracy wise it shoots about 1.5MOA which is fine for a 44mag and the ranges I use it at.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: TDK] #6996465 12/14/17 09:19 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: TDK
Personally I don't call it a full custom unless I built the action. Everything else I do is semi-custom. But, I'm hardcore like that. The words "custom" and "gunmaker" are thrown around too much.

I agree. Whether an extensively worked-over factory action qualifies as a “custom” is an interesting debate I suppose. smile

But plumbing together disparate components and doing a little file work along the way does not make one a “custom” riflemaker, or the result a “custom” rifle.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996489 12/14/17 09:36 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Here's my thought on factory vs semi-custom vs full custom. Now, this is all with tuned ammo, or ammo dialed into the rifle. And how I measure accuracy is not one 3 shot group. It is multiple groups at various ranges and seeing the consistency over all these groups.

Factory rifles can be made to shoot well. Running tuned ammo, the rifle will gain consistency from tight tolerances of the ammo. This will certainly improve the accuracy of a factory rifle. But the weak link is often the lack of a bedded action, the barrel not free floated, mass produced barrels, and heavy triggers. Most of the rifles I complete a load work up on are factory rifles, that may have had a few things modified. I have done many of them. Most will shoot about 3/4 to 1 moa fairly easily. Some will shoot 1/2 moa, but not generally. The main problem I see with factory rifles are fliers. Often times there will be some rounds that just don't go where you told it to.

Semi-custom rifles will be a step above the factory rifles. Replacing the barrel on a factory rifle should increase the consistency and improve the accuracy. Generally you can free float the barrel and work on the trigger some. These will always improve your results. But, the action is still a factory action will loose tolerances in the action. I built my PBR (parts build rifle) in Rem 700 and screwed a big fat 308 Win barrel on a $360 factory Rem 700 ADL. I put it in my old Manners T3 stock (previously bedded) with a pic rail and Nightforce scope on it. It shoots about 1/2 moa consistently. The weal link in that rifle is the factory action and the previous bedding (for a different Surgeon action). It shoots good, but does not shoot near as good as my full custom Surgeon.

A full custom build to me is a custom action (Surgeon, Defiance, Big Horn, Stiller, etc) with a custom barrel and the stock bedded and fit to the action. The stock needs to be very firm (not flimsy like some of the Hogue rubber stocks are) with proper bedding and barrel free floating. I have a Surgeon 591 action in a Rock Solid Stock with a big Bartlein barrel at 23" in 6.5x47L. That set up is the most accurate rifle I own. It's one hole at 100 yards, and shoots very tight at distance. It is a heavy rifle, about 14-16 lbs. It's a very shootable rifle and easy to control.

But, IMO, the many factory rifles I have played with shoot decent. But they will not shoot near as good as a custom can.

And a big factor in accuracy is how thick the barrel is. You can not take a featherweight or sporter weight barrel chambered in a magnum round with 80+ grains of powder and expect it to be a target rifle and maintain consistency for 20 shots. It just won't do it. The barrel will heat up and start to walk around.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996498 12/14/17 09:43 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Tacops is a $5k+ rifle build on a Remington action with 1/4 MOA accuracy.

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Kevin1] #6996567 12/14/17 10:34 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Kevin1

I'm not saying no. But do you know how many rifles I have shot that I would say are truly 1/4 moa accurate? I could count them on one hand. 1/4 moa is a rarity, period. Yes, 1/2 and 1/3 moa is pretty achievable. But 1/4 moa is an inaccurate guarantee for ALL rifles from a smith. There's WAY too many variables of parts and pieces that a smith will rely on. Some barrels do offer crazy accuracy, but to put a 1/4 moa, sorry, I'm not buying it.

I just looked at their site, and they build their rifles on a trued factory Rem 700 action. It's not even a full custom, it's a semi-custom. No way 1/4 moa! The tolerances in the Rem 700 action are not tight enough to allow it!

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: kmon11] #6996589 12/14/17 10:44 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: kmon1
The whole custom/semi-custom discussion comes up from time to time on here. If like TDK said he builds the whole gun for a customer including action that no doubt a full custom.

Screw a barrel and bed the factory stock or an aftermarket stock on a rifle has no where near the work involved and "customization" as a custom like TDK does.

Good Semi custom jobs IMO have a smoother action that is square to the barrel, the action worked over so it is smooth and locking lugs mate in their recesses with full lug contact. The barrel is concentric and mated to the receiver as perfectly as possible for a full concentric mating.

I have one that is as custom as I will ever own, it is a mishmash of parts to an extent that I wish I could find and talk to the builder. The action is a combination of a Mauser and 1903 that has a section in the middle removed so it is the right length for a 44Mag. It has a 16.25 inch McGowen barrel with Williams sights and full length walnut stock and uses Remington 788 44Mag magazines. Serial number on that rifle is R-001. it wasn't built for me but I figure the action was piece parted together from action parts the Smith had from other guns in the past, at one time actions fro long Weatherby and H&H cartridges were not plentiful and they would take two Springfield or Mauser actions to make one action with the length to handle the longer cartridges figure mine was made from a couple of those left over action pieces. Accuracy wise it shoots about 1.5MOA which is fine for a 44mag and the ranges I use it at.

Sounds like a really neat rifle. Would you mind posting a picture or two?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996619 12/14/17 10:55 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Next time I dig it out of the safe I will post some pics. Have posted pics in the past but they are on Photobucket bang

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: ChadTRG42] #6996654 12/14/17 11:11 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

I'm not saying no. But do you know how many rifles I have shot that I would say are truly 1/4 moa accurate? I could count them on one hand. 1/4 moa is a rarity, period. Yes, 1/2 and 1/3 moa is pretty achievable. But 1/4 moa is an inaccurate guarantee for ALL rifles from a smith. There's WAY too many variables of parts and pieces that a smith will rely on. Some barrels do offer crazy accuracy, but to put a 1/4 moa, sorry, I'm not buying it.

I just looked at their site, and they build their rifles on a trued factory Rem 700 action. It's not even a full custom, it's a semi-custom. No way 1/4 moa! The tolerances in the Rem 700 action are not tight enough to allow it!

Truly, how important is the action? Once the bullet is in the chamber my money is on the ammo the barrel and human error.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: redchevy] #6996658 12/14/17 11:18 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Truly, how important is the action? Once the bullet is in the chamber my money is on the ammo the barrel and human error.

As long as the action is bedded in the stock good, the barrel/action connection is truly inline and the lugs and action mating surfaces are making full even contact the action really doesn't matter for accuracy. Trick is getting all those on a factory mass produced action, stock and barrel. Or that is my 2cents

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: redchevy] #6996668 12/14/17 11:27 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Generally, my opinion as well.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996679 12/14/17 11:33 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Here's my thought on factory vs semi-custom vs full custom. Now, this is all with tuned ammo, or ammo dialed into the rifle. And how I measure accuracy is not one 3 shot group. It is multiple groups at various ranges and seeing the consistency over all these groups.

Factory rifles can be made to shoot well. Running tuned ammo, the rifle will gain consistency from tight tolerances of the ammo. This will certainly improve the accuracy of a factory rifle. But the weak link is often the lack of a bedded action, the barrel not free floated, mass produced barrels, and heavy triggers. Most of the rifles I complete a load work up on are factory rifles, that may have had a few things modified. I have done many of them. Most will shoot about 3/4 to 1 moa fairly easily. Some will shoot 1/2 moa, but not generally. The main problem I see with factory rifles are fliers. Often times there will be some rounds that just don't go where you told it to.

Semi-custom rifles will be a step above the factory rifles. Replacing the barrel on a factory rifle should increase the consistency and improve the accuracy. Generally you can free float the barrel and work on the trigger some. These will always improve your results. But, the action is still a factory action will loose tolerances in the action. I built my PBR (parts build rifle) in Rem 700 and screwed a big fat 308 Win barrel on a $360 factory Rem 700 ADL. I put it in my old Manners T3 stock (previously bedded) with a pic rail and Nightforce scope on it. It shoots about 1/2 moa consistently. The weal link in that rifle is the factory action and the previous bedding (for a different Surgeon action). It shoots good, but does not shoot near as good as my full custom Surgeon.

A full custom build to me is a custom action (Surgeon, Defiance, Big Horn, Stiller, etc) with a custom barrel and the stock bedded and fit to the action. The stock needs to be very firm (not flimsy like some of the Hogue rubber stocks are) with proper bedding and barrel free floating. I have a Surgeon 591 action in a Rock Solid Stock with a big Bartlein barrel at 23" in 6.5x47L. That set up is the most accurate rifle I own. It's one hole at 100 yards, and shoots very tight at distance. It is a heavy rifle, about 14-16 lbs. It's a very shootable rifle and easy to control.

But, IMO, the many factory rifles I have played with shoot decent. But they will not shoot near as good as a custom can.

And a big factor in accuracy is how thick the barrel is. You can not take a featherweight or sporter weight barrel chambered in a magnum round with 80+ grains of powder and expect it to be a target rifle and maintain consistency for 20 shots. It just won't do it. The barrel will heat up and start to walk around.

^^^^^ This is my view of things exactly.

Anyone who buys one is an idiot. A $5,000 Remington rofl

To rc and kmon1 - if you're looking for true anal type accuracy your looking at lock up times, pin fall, action timing, [censored] on close, spring weights on firing pins, trigger engagement...there is a whole lot more to the accuracy game than making sure lugs and bolt/barrel/action mating. I learn something new it seems every week on that. I wish I knew more about all that stuff I listed above.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996703 12/14/17 11:56 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Judd, I know some of that but not that anal on accuracy. Small groups are like golf scores in a way. Doesn't take much work to go from 110 to 100, but more work to get from 100 to 90 and even more to get from 90 to 80 and even more than all of that combined to get from 80 to 70. The tighter the goal the more work is involved to get there. I don't shoot competition though did a little around 30 years ago. As long as I am under MOA with some rifles I am happy and with some under half MOA depends on the gun. That is good enough for me a boggie golfer.

A friend in College recommended a Remington 788 to me and glad he did. I shot his BR rifle on a couple occasions and it was built on a 788 action with the canjar trigger, my best 5 shot group ever was shot with it .15 center to center with his 222 Remington that was in I think 83.

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Judd] #6996711 12/15/17 12:02 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Judd

To rc and kmon1 - if you're looking for true anal type accuracy your looking at lock up times, pin fall, action timing, [censored] on close, spring weights on firing pins, trigger engagement...there is a whole lot more to the accuracy game than making sure lugs and bolt/barrel/action mating. I learn something new it seems every week on that. I wish I knew more about all that stuff I listed above.

Trying to trim that last thirty or forty thousandths of an inch off your groups gets expensive and tricky, doesn't it?

I have a 788 in .222 that will average an honest 0.4" for five shots, and maybe even better. I think one like it can be had for $400 to $500. All I want is a 0.3" improvement, but I sure can't afford it. I'll just shoot it like it is.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: redchevy] #6996732 12/15/17 12:21 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

It's huge. Factory rifles have much loose tolerances than some of the custom actions do. The tighter tolerances mean less parts have less room to move around. Rem 700 has a pinned recoil lug that is fairly thin that can move around. The bolt lugs do not lock up as tight and can have some play in it.

Take a Surgeon 591 action. It has 3 MAJOR factors that greatly improve accuracy over standard actions.

1- The barrel tenons where the barrel screws into the action is 33% longer. There's more barrel threading into the action for more support
2- The top picatiny rail of the action is part of the action. The rail adds stiffness to the entire action. It's not bolted on with 4 screws like a Rem 700 is
3- The recoil lug is solid and built into action, not pinned like the Rem 700. And the recoil lug is much thicker than the Rem 700

Add all this up, and you have one bad [censored] action!

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: RiverRider] #6996737 12/15/17 12:24 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

Trying to trim that last thirty or forty thousandths of an inch off your groups gets expensive and tricky, doesn't it?

I have a 788 in .222 that will average an honest 0.4" for five shots, and maybe even better. I think one like it can be had for $400 to $500. All I want is a 0.3" improvement, but I sure can't afford it. I'll just shoot it like it is.

Cannibalized allot of 788 actions back in the 70's, they were the go to action for Bench Rest at the time.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: RiverRider] #6996751 12/15/17 12:38 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior

I might could be talked out of a Canjar trigger. Wonder if that would help

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: kmon11] #6996822 12/15/17 01:20 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: kmon1

I might could be talked out of a Canjar trigger. Wonder if that would help

Sounds intriguing. I might wanna explore the idea.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: RiverRider] #6996843 12/15/17 01:34 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
Sounds intriguing. I might wanna explore the idea.

Well worth it, only real weakness on a 788 is the trigger and even they weren't that bad. I've seen stock 788's shoot some outstanding groups. Bed it and put a good trigger in it and you'll have a rifle that was out shooting the higher end rifles of it's time. That might have been their downfall since more attention was paid to them than the 700's.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996858 12/15/17 01:43 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Had a guy that worked for Remington in the 70s and early 90s that said that was the main downfall of the 788 it would out of the box outshoot their higher end guns. I have 4 of them now have had a few others in 243 but sold or traded them away and gave one away. That one went to a Nephew that killed a deer with it at Thanksgiving and got it for Christmas. Didn't know he was hunting with what would soon be his first deer rifle.

the 4 I have are in 223, 30-30, 44Mag and 7mm08 so 3 of the most rare calibers it was made in.

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996868 12/15/17 01:52 AM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Guys, you’re making fun of TacOps, but it’s the real deal. Please do a search. More than 400 swat and LE agencies are using that gun.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_51

Re: Custom Rifles [Re: Txlonghorn] #6996869 12/15/17 01:52 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
RR and kmon...you're dead on, that last little bit is expensive both from a cost and knowledge. I love it.

The ole 222 used to be king until the ppc drove it off the podium. Crazy how things work, now they talk about the 30br...it hasn't completely dethroned the ppc yet but it might happen?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide