Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: High fence escapees [Re: majekman] #6990499 12/10/17 01:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: majekman
We have a 9ft fence and I've seen deer try to jump it without success. Can they clear a 9ft fence?...All things are possible I guess. I've jus never seen it in 27yrs. on this ranch

I would think that’s getting close to max. Most the high fences out there aren’t even 8’, big chunk are 7.5

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990522 12/10/17 02:19 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
And like the fence down the road, some are 6ft.
Everyone claims that they see deer jump that 8ft fence all of the time.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: High fence escapees [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6990525 12/10/17 02:22 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: majekman
We have a 9ft fence and I've seen deer try to jump it without success. Can they clear a 9ft fence?...All things are possible I guess. I've jus never seen it in 27yrs. on this ranch

I would think that’s getting close to max. Most the high fences out there aren’t even 8’, big chunk are 7.5

A deer has to have a reason to jump a high fence, or even attempt to jump one.
The number one reason is fright and the number two reason is a hot doe on the other side.
I've watched a buck make several attempts to get at a doe, and I've seen them sail over a high fence running from dogs.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990541 12/10/17 02:44 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Deer jump high fences all the time...I have seen film from a car driving down a road and jumped deer outside the fence ...they ran along side the road and all jumped back in the fenced area. It was neat to see so many jump a fence that high...rest assured they can and do jump 8 ft. fences.

Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990542 12/10/17 02:45 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
My son and I were driving a polaris checking the HF line for my X BIL when a doe bolted from our left and tried to jump the 8’ fence. She made it about 4/5 of the way up and slammed into the fence, the fence bowed and then sling shotted her backwards, wild to watch eek2

Last edited by Stub; 12/10/17 02:48 PM.

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990554 12/10/17 02:50 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
So, i wonder how much more a 9' fence is than a standard 8'? (per roll or per mile)

Re: High fence escapees [Re: maximus_flavius] #6990562 12/10/17 02:59 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
So, i wonder how much more a 9' fence is than a standard 8'? (per roll or per mile)

Most HF is actually two 4’ roles with an over lap. Now the newer stuff is 8’ single piece, but it’s expensive

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: High fence escapees [Re: fishbait] #6990567 12/10/17 03:08 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: fishbait
Deer jump high fences all the time...I have seen film from a car driving down a road and jumped deer outside the fence ...they ran along side the road and all jumped back in the fenced area. It was neat to see so many jump a fence that high...rest assured they can and do jump 8 ft. fences.

Please post video

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990575 12/10/17 03:18 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I've seen video of a deer getting over an 8' fence but they didn't cleanly jump it; they kind of climbed over the top portion. If anyone has video of a whitetail cleanly jumping an 8' fence I'd like to see it.

Don K's fence is only 6'6" IIRC.

Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990586 12/10/17 03:25 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Don't know how high, but the big buck clearly jumped without much effort and probably would have cleared a taller fence without much effort and a running start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPr0noR9Faw

It's not that they can't jump the fence, it's the landing they don't like.

Last edited by Jimbo; 12/10/17 03:28 PM.

Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Simple Searcher] #6990598 12/10/17 03:32 PM
5Redman8 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Please post video

Simple.....it makes pen shooters feel less horrible if they believe deer can jump in and out of their pens.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990604 12/10/17 03:40 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The best leases I've ever had (3) were adjoining a high fenced ranch.
That is usually a deal killer for most, but not me!

Re: High fence escapees [Re: Jimbo] #6990622 12/10/17 04:05 PM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Don't know how high, but the big buck clearly jumped without much effort and probably would have cleared a taller fence without much effort and a running start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPr0noR9Faw

It's not that they can't jump the fence, it's the landing they don't like.

Not a high fence. It's like the black panther everyone has seen one but for some reason they can't get video evidence roflmao

Re: High fence escapees [Re: 5Redman8] #6990724 12/10/17 06:14 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: 5Redman8

Please post video

Simple.....it makes pen shooters feel less horrible if they believe deer can jump in and out of their pens.

doesn't bother me in the least bit to think a deer can't jump out of a high fence. why would I spend the money for something that doesn't work just so some "cain't eat dem horns" type of guy next door can shoot all the 3 year old bucks that go under his feeder?

if everyone had the same train of thought as people who hunt high fence, then there wouldn't even be a need for high fence.

Last edited by kyle1974; 12/10/17 06:15 PM.
Re: High fence escapees [Re: kyle1974] #6990730 12/10/17 06:20 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: kyle1974

Please post video

doesn't bother me in the least bit to think a deer can't jump out of a high fence. why would I spend the money for something that doesn't work just so some "cain't eat dem horns" type of guy next door can shoot all the 3 year old bucks that go under his feeder?

if everyone had the same train of thought as people who hunt high fence, then there wouldn't even be a need for high fence.

Nailed it!!! I like that post!!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: High fence escapees [Re: 5Redman8] #6990818 12/10/17 07:37 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Please post video

Or they don’t have to rely on setting up on and hunting others fencelines, thus what would need to be random dash cam...

Re: High fence escapees [Re: kyle1974] #6990852 12/10/17 08:26 PM
C
crooked horn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: kyle1974

Please post video

Agreed. Never gonna happen, but agreed. Most people rationalize shooting young bucks by saying "if I don't, someone else will", not realizing they are the "someone else", and are creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

Thank you...thank you very much
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990876 12/10/17 08:44 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
On the Friday after Thanksgiving, I met a forum member in Jourdanton for a gun trade. On the way back home, a low fence ranch SE of Campbellton, east of I37, along FM 1099 got a super buck, a live buck, on account of me! My dad and I were driving, and this monster came over an 8' fence and splatted into the middle of the FM out of a cartwheel! He was a heavy horn 12 because of long, double brow tines, probably 20" inside. Both my dad and I were speechless as I applied emergency breaking to a stop. He landed and skidded across the ground immediately in front of us. He panicked, got up, and hit the 8' fence on the other side of the road getting his antlers & legs hung up, but fell back down on the ground after a struggle. He bolted east along the FM & hit the fence three more times with the same results. He was pretty tired at that point so he let me walk him down the road with my dad's minivan about a mile to the first low fence!

You're welcome low fenced fellows! Several times in my life both on the inside and outside of a high fence, I have seen whitetails clear them with little effort. If the have a good gauge on the top and want over bad enough, they can do it.

[Linked Image]
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6990931 12/10/17 09:24 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
I saw the film my nephew had on his phone...the film was from a deputy on patrol in south central Tx. I wish I had that film, by the way ...have ya seen the photo of a racoon on a wild hogs back to help him reach a feeder? That came from my other nephew and made country wide fame.
I guess you could say I am famous by blood kin...lol
I used to drive south of Campbelton, driving from Uvalde to Ingleside on county road 140. Saw many deer and some real big.

Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6991489 12/11/17 12:11 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Hey fish, I've seen the bronco busting coon!

[Linked Image]
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6991500 12/11/17 12:33 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Some deer are more resourceful than others peep

Re: High fence escapees [Re: Bass&More] #6991531 12/11/17 01:09 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Bass&More
Some deer are more resourceful than others peep

That deer could easily clear a 20' fence. Spend your money it does no good! roflmao

Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6991546 12/11/17 01:25 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I hit one in a datsun 210 going almost 80. Did the same thing. It was strange to see a deer flying like a boomarang 30 feet in the air all the way to the fence row. Car was done body wise.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: High fence escapees [Re: Captain Luke] #6991612 12/11/17 02:18 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
And it's also very common for a pack of dogs to get into a high fence area and kill a bunch of deer because they cannot, or will not jump over the fence. What percentage of the animals behind an 8 fence are able to jump out of it? In South Africa, I saw a group of kudu cows jump over a fence that where eating along the side of the road. As we drove up on them, they all jumped into the high fence area. Then as we drove by them, we saw them jump back out again to eat what was in the ditches along the road.

Re: High fence escapees [Re: EddieWalker] #6991781 12/11/17 04:16 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
And it's also very common for a pack of dogs to get into a high fence area and kill a bunch of deer because they cannot, or will not jump over the fence. What percentage of the animals behind an 8 fence are able to jump out of it? In South Africa, I saw a group of kudu cows jump over a fence that where eating along the side of the road. As we drove up on them, they all jumped into the high fence area. Then as we drove by them, we saw them jump back out again to eat what was in the ditches along the road.

Several years back I was hunting on one of my leases that bordered a high fence ranch and it had a bad feral dog problem. There was a large group of dogs of various sizes and the leader of the pack was a big German Shepherd, and another was some kind of pit bull mix.
You could hear them from hundreds of yards away chasing deer and I witnessed two mature bucks clear an 8' fence with plenty to spare and they were going from my place jumping into the high fenced ranch to escape the dogs.
Before the season I had them growling and approaching me in an aggressive manner, causing me to have to frantically look for a BF stick, so after that encounter, I never went there without a rifle in my hand or nearby. Wild feral dogs are the worst, and are not afraid of humans.
What happened to those dogs, I don't know?

Last edited by Jimbo; 12/11/17 04:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide