Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: Old Rabbit] #6959071 11/14/17 01:16 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Old Rabbit
soap Seeing more and more high and tight bucks where I hunt. Everything 13" up get shot.

I have heard the same thing. Although the system seems to work.
You would think it would crash with scrawny deer left to do the breeding.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: SmallTownHunter] #6959078 11/14/17 01:24 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: SmallTownHunter

I've had this buck on cam 3 years in a row with absolutely no growth. I just hope he hasn't got to spread his genes around. IMO he is the perfect example of why AR's work most of the time but not on every place. I am for AR's but I really wish I could cull him out of the herd.

Is your place not eligible for MLD? If so, problem solved, assuming you get enough tags to clean up the undesirables.

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959227 11/14/17 02:49 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
AR's work, not perfect, but they do slow down the harvesting of young bucks... Which is what it is designed to do. Said it before and will again, managing deer is easy, managing hunters is the hard part...

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959274 11/14/17 03:20 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
The buck to doe ratio has tripled where I hunt because of AR. You actually see alot more 2,3, and 4 year old deer. If your lucky a 5 year old or older. It allows me to pass more 4 year olds and that's the recipe for big bucks. Downside is that the bucks are always busted up from fighting. More bucks more competition. This year it has really shown. Also finally recovered from those horrible droughts years ago. It's all coming back around for the better.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959665 11/14/17 02:31 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: BassBuster1

Too bad this guy wasn't as worried about following the rules, that is a magnificent animal! Not super far as the crow flys from where we are, 15 miles at most. I would love to see some of those genes make it over our way!

If your only 15 miles away I would guess they are already there, just have to let them get some age on them...

Last edited by bossbowman; 11/14/17 02:31 PM.
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959697 11/14/17 02:52 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
in our area, ARs have made the deer go from a bunch of 6 points to 14" 8 points...whipty dooo. everyone agrees that an extra year or two or even three is what their areas need in general, and TPWD thought that 13" spread rule would do that, but it really doesn't. They could look to the north where big natural native deer are the norm. and see what they do. Some states don't have a rifle season at all, and if they do its 7-14 days long. And the entire season doesn't start in September and end in February, thus allowing many more deer to survive the deer season. Take years where a harsh winter storm hits during a season and a whole lot more survive. When you can hunt deer with a rifle for months, you really can't expect the majority of them to survive.

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959708 11/14/17 02:58 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I agree, there would be alot more big deer taken every year in north texas is they would restrict the rifle season more but they won't, they're talking about adding 2 weeks to it next year so all of texas syncs up with the south texas season length. More is not always better.

Last edited by bossbowman; 11/14/17 02:59 PM.
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: woodduckhunter] #6959722 11/14/17 03:05 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter
in our area, ARs have made the deer go from a bunch of 6 points to 14" 8 points...whipty dooo. everyone agrees that an extra year or two or even three is what their areas need in general, and TPWD thought that 13" spread rule would do that, but it really doesn't. They could look to the north where big natural native deer are the norm. and see what they do. Some states don't have a rifle season at all, and if they do its 7-14 days long. And the entire season doesn't start in September and end in February, thus allowing many more deer to survive the deer season. Take years where a harsh winter storm hits during a season and a whole lot more survive. When you can hunt deer with a rifle for months, you really can't expect the majority of them to survive.

I'm blessed to be surrounded by management minded folks now. In the past guys shot everything. Now we all agree to take the meat does and the youngsters and new hunters help with the management bucks and the paying guys get the trophies even if it takes a few years of waiting. I haven't shot a buck since 2015. I've taken some meat does to keep that adrenaline flow. I've seen a few nice bucks and i hope a particular one shows up and isn't all busted up after the rut. AR helps but true management is what is needed. Create relationships with your neighbors. Reassure them about what you will take so they don't try to beat you to the punch and shoot a deer before it meets its potential. This is very important on small acreage like my 20 acres. You will be surprised how many mature deer will show up if everyone cooperates.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959734 11/14/17 03:18 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
that's good that it works out like that in your area, but that is not going to be the case hardly anywhere east of 45, or anywhere else where the tracts of land are less than a thousand. I don't even deer hunt, just my observations. They don't accidentally harvest as many quality wild deer as they do up north by accident. We all know the deer need an extra year or two, and making the rifle season longer will not help. All seasons need to be shortened and they will then accomplish what they are trying to accomplish with ARs. Oh, and the states up north that I'm referring to don't have ARs. shorter seasons and NO ARs

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: woodduckhunter] #6959748 11/14/17 03:27 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I don't even deer hunt, just my observations.
Trust me you are mistaken, their are toads coming out of east texas since the new antler rules came into place, we are just coming up on a generation of deer under the rules, guys are just smart enough to keep quiet about for the most part out east.

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959753 11/14/17 03:32 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
... and make no doubt game cameras have played a part in this as well, knowing what you have and which ones to grow and let walk is half the battle, but having a rule that keeps your neighbor from knocking down the you young ones is the other half.

Last edited by bossbowman; 11/14/17 03:32 PM.
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: woodduckhunter] #6959754 11/14/17 03:36 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
that's good that it works out like that in your area, but that is not going to be the case hardly anywhere east of 45, or anywhere else where the tracts of land are less than a thousand. I don't even deer hunt, just my observations. They don't accidentally harvest as many quality wild deer as they do up north by accident. We all know the deer need an extra year or two, and making the rifle season longer will not help. All seasons need to be shortened and they will then accomplish what they are trying to accomplish with ARs. Oh, and the states up north that I'm referring to don't have ARs. shorter seasons and NO ARs

They can get away with shorter seasons because their winters are much harsher and do a lot of herd control for them. If you cut the deer harvest in Texas in half, in a few years we'd be overrun. Plus, who wants to get to hunt less? Also, most of those northern deer are huge because they're standing in a corn or soybean field most of their lives. Look at what protein does for Texas deer, now imagine them having access to those food sources from birth. If you've ever studied wildlife management, another thing they talk about is the size of animals as you move away from the equator. Canadian/northern whitetails are much larger in order to better handle the conditions. A 90lb Texas WT doe would freeze to death pretty quickly in a Dakota winter.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959758 11/14/17 03:37 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Not sure what they are trying to accomplish but we seem to have more bucks and fewer doe. Instead of mostly 4-6 pts running around, which we still have, there are a bunch of 12-14" 8pts also. Plenty of deer to shoot at so I am not complaining. The biggest drawback I see is you pretty much have to have a feeder and a good set of binoculars to shoot a buck.

I've passed on large deer mature deer moving through the brush that I'm about 90% sure are legal but don't stay still long enough for me to be positive. Opening weekend I had a hoss stroll through I let walk for that reason. Big enough deer I got the shakes when he disappeared. Kind of miss the old days when you could make that snap judgement, shoot it and feel good about whatever ended up drt.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6959784 11/14/17 04:01 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

They can get away with shorter seasons because their winters are much harsher and do a lot of herd control for them. If you cut the deer harvest in Texas in half, in a few years we'd be overrun. Plus, who wants to get to hunt less? Also, most of those northern deer are huge because they're standing in a corn or soybean field most of their lives. Look at what protein does for Texas deer, now imagine them having access to those food sources from birth. If you've ever studied wildlife management, another thing they talk about is the size of animals as you move away from the equator. Canadian/northern whitetails are much larger in order to better handle the conditions. A 90lb Texas WT doe would freeze to death pretty quickly in a Dakota winter.

Too many hunters don't harvest enough deer as it is. leave a long season, but put a buck season within the season. or do like MS or AL and allow a doe or two per day

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6959875 11/14/17 04:56 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
B
We have had feeders and cameras going since Early August. We are really trying to hunt certain bucks and we are studying the animals carefully. We have three definite lines on our place that we can see from our pics. We have some beautiful symmetrical tens, we have some huge bodied, undersized antler bucks even at 5 plus years old(these are our current cull bucks we are trying for) and we have our really messed up wonky stuff.

I really like the idea above of a couple of youth weeks with anything hard horned or something along those lines. I would love to take a kid or two out and let them help us manage the animals!

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: woodduckhunter] #6959976 11/14/17 06:02 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Too many hunters don't harvest enough deer as it is. leave a long season, but put a buck season within the season. or do like MS or AL and allow a doe or two per day

If you put a buck season in, we're going to go back to the wild wild west like it used to be, when the first thing with antlers hit the ground. It would be open season on 1.5/2.5 yr old bucks. And currently you can shoot as many does as you want, and we're still not killing enough (according to the biologists).

Texans kill plenty of outstanding bucks each year. And I guarantee midwest hunters without ARs kill plenty of small bucks-those just don't make the news. Not everybody up north is harvesting 200" 300lb deer.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6960133 11/14/17 07:52 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

I really like the idea above of a couple of youth weeks with anything hard horned or something along those lines. I would love to take a kid or two out and let them help us manage the animals!

No thank you, I hate youth season as it is, too often daddy ends of shooting a buck with juniors tags, there were stories this year in the game warden field notes. If you want to take a youth hunting sacrifice your opening weekend of general season for them.

Last edited by bossbowman; 11/14/17 07:53 PM.
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: phathawg] #6960151 11/14/17 08:10 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: phathawg
I don't understand the concept of shooting the trophy bucks and not the culls. Tell any rancher that to improve his herd he has to kill his prize bull and let the little bulls do all the breeding. You might learn some new cuss words.

In theory you are right. In real life I don't think it matters as much in deer hunting low fence free range deer. In the cow example your dealing with known blood lines that produce good offspring.

In the world of LF deer the same does not hold true. All the deer running around are Heinz 57 variety and likely carry both the genetic stuff to throw a no brow fork horn as well as a 20 inch wide typical 12 pt, just depends on how it all comes out, just like with people not all of our kids will look alike.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6960152 11/14/17 08:12 PM
B
Birdman7 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Everyone blames the bucks poor genetics and forgets that there was a doe involved with that might actually be the reason for those crappy genetics. If you shoot every spike before they can breed how come there are still spikes being produced? Unless you have a way of tracing back mom and dad to for every deer there's no such thing as the perfect management plan. To me ARs aren't in place to produce better genetics they're there to produce more mature bucks, just my opinion though.

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: bossbowman] #6960155 11/14/17 08:13 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: bossbowman

No thank you, I hate youth season as it is, too often daddy ends of shooting a buck with juniors tags, there were stories this year in the game warden field notes. If you want to take a youth hunting sacrifice your opening weekend of general season for them.

Our strategy has changed since the "shoot anything guys" left. Kids get most pre-rut hunts on my place to take out what is mature and we don't want breeding. I get my does in archery if I can. I like to sit during the rut but if I see a big buck tending does he doesn't get shot. Post rut when they start looking for their new homes well, I try to be there to get that one that made my jaw drop.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6960275 11/14/17 09:14 PM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
On the leases I hunted in Parker and Wise County (Both AR counties) there were a lot of "Wonky racks" Tall, narrow probably never going to be legal. We waited for legal bucks and harvested them and left the inferior deer to breed. I don't know what the solution is. There has to be a better way. confused2

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: Simple Searcher] #6960457 11/14/17 11:20 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: Old Rabbit
soap Seeing more and more high and tight bucks where I hunt. Everything 13" up get shot.

I have heard the same thing. Although the system seems to work.
You would think it would crash with scrawny deer left to do the breeding.

They are not scrawny, big bodied, heavy horned but they grow almost straight up. Look to be 12" wide but really tall. Have watched one grow from a nice tight 8 point to a 12 point but just doesn't have the width.

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6960504 11/14/17 11:57 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
My thought on ARs is that the larger spread gene is shot out in a few years and the narrow dominate eight point gene takes over.
So the state should change up the rules every few years to help eliminate the dominate gene pool.
For a few years have a 13" minimum and then a few years with a 14" max. If you stay with the one rule the dominate reverse gene will always win out.
If there is any regulation on deer it should be age not point count or spread.

Re: Do ARs work??? [Re: BassBuster1] #6960509 11/14/17 11:59 PM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I dont use an AR to shoot deer but I guess with proper shot placement no problem

Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall. That smile says it all
[North Dakota -16degrees

"Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle."
- Abraham Lincoln
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide