Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951166 11/08/17 12:52 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
popcorn

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951199 11/08/17 01:21 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Let's not forget that someone handing you a ticket doesn't make you guilty of anything. In my case, I'm sure just about any judge would have questioned why I might have been charged for hunting without a license while being caught working on a tractor.

There's a liitle more to my story that some might find humorous. The officer asked me if I had been hunting and had killed anything. I was respectful and told him yes, that I had killed a doe. Then he asked me when I had killed it, to which I replied "Opening Weekend". I wondered later if he really thought I would have volunteered that information if I did not have a license, or had killed the doe outside of doe season. Still, at his request, I walked over to my trailer and retrieved my wallet and license and walked back to show it to him.

I guess I should just be prepared for the local constable to come knocking on my door to ask if I've been driving the truck parked in my driveway and if I have a license to do so.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951239 11/08/17 02:03 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
We have the right to remain silent but in a lot of cases not the ability grin

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951249 11/08/17 02:06 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
There aren't too many positives driving 8+ hours to my in-laws ranch that's 31 miles off the main highway, down some very rough roads, and on the back end of a 15K acre ranch with only one way in and one way out. No game warden has ever stepped foot on the property that they're aware of 31 years and counting.

Sometimes being so remote is a good thing. (we still follow every hunting rule because it's the right thing to do)

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: westtexaswatkins] #6951289 11/08/17 02:30 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
We have the right to remain silent but in a lot of cases not the ability grin

peep

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951292 11/08/17 02:31 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
First or second year of the log, a buddy and I got license-checked while in a crappie house at Silverton in January. Two wardens, the one looking at my license says to his buddy 'Hey, he even filled out the log!' I guess they hadn't come across many yet. Both seemed pretty green but were good guys.

We own our land. In 38 years of hunting I've seen the warden once at our place. We legally harvest and tag every deer, though, and obey the game laws.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951306 11/08/17 02:39 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
GW job has to be a real tough one like many LEO's. Been checked 3 times all were very professional and no problem, seems like the younger ones are more personable?

Last edited by Stub; 11/08/17 03:46 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951327 11/08/17 02:49 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I've met my GW once, and he seemed like a pretty good guy. He rolled in to the gate, asked if I had any luck on opening day. Told him no, that I had not gotten to hunt that morning, but planned to hunt that afternoon. I offered him a cup of coffee or soft drink, he said no, he was good and needed to get back to work. Gave me his card which I keep with my license in case I ever have questions or need him - no problem. Guess I am saying, he is just doing a job which is much needed, so no need to be afraid unless I am breaking rules.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: png] #6951344 11/08/17 03:03 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: png
Quote:

Truly asking with all respect. I honestly dont see how they could be efficient at their job without entering private property.

I can live with them not being efficient.

I think it is safe to assume they are not efficient. Ive been hunting for over 20 years and been checked 1 time.

We are legal law abiding citizens, I have never been less than polite to a game warden, and I have never been issued a ticket for a violation or let off of one. I do not think they should have access to my property and I do not trust them. If we ever see him again I will politely let him know again that we don't appreciate him accessing our property.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951389 11/08/17 03:33 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I hate to talk about it on a public forum but I have had Game wardens act in a truly bad fashion several times when there were no tickets to be issued, even to the point of having a mini 14 pointed at us. If you are hunting east of 35 be very careful dealing with the game wardens.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951394 11/08/17 03:37 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Stevarino
Originally Posted By: gary75758
GW has code to gate and key to cabin, i have nothing to hide,
texas

I don't think its about nothing to hide. Would you feel the same way if a trooper or city police officer stopped you from time to time just to see if you had in violations in your vehicle even though you weren't doing anything illegal to be pulled over. If I violate the law I understand the right of any law enforcement to take action. I take issue to someone coming onto private property to look for violations. I've been taking a nap and woke up by game wardens wanting to check my hunting license. This makes no sense to me.

This right here is why I posted.. that scenario doesnt sit well.. stretching their power a bit IMO..

There is no stretching of their power. That IS their power. Yes, it is a further extension beyond your normal LEO rules. It has to be for them to find infractions.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Deerhunter61] #6951400 11/08/17 03:43 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I enjoy our game warden, and I have personally deer, duck, and night hunted with him on several occasions. I enjoy their company, and like listening to some of the crazy stories they tell. I guess it depends on your personal mentality of doing something wrong and getting caught. I don't do illegal stuff, so I don't mind the law coming around doing their job at all.

Chad, I do not break any laws either but I'm also not looking to get hassled. There are good GWs and there are bad GWs and then there are always a couple of Barney Fife GWs out there simply trying to screw with people to prove how tough they are and I've experienced all three. For the last two you really don't have to do much of anything to get them to show that they're jerks, could be something as not hearing/understanding something they say and asking a question for clarification and all of a sudden they act like your challenging their manhood...ugh. So I choose to avoid them if possible because I do not want to deal with the bull.

I have seen the negative attitudes in some LEO's during a traffic stop, sure. Mostly when I was younger and pissed that I got pulled over for speeding in a red Camaro. Now with an older and wiser attitude (I like to think I am, at least!), my experiences have all been positive. And I hope I don't jinx it now. In the many times in the last 10-15 years, every officer that pulled me over and I had dealings with were very personable and positive to deal with. I do believe your initial contact demeanor and attitude in the first few seconds (positive or negative) sets the tone of the situation.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951409 11/08/17 03:47 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
How many people on here have shot a javalina? How many have shot more than 2 in a given year? How many have shot more than 2 in an afternoon or morning hunt? How many have shot a deer that was trapped in a hog trap in bad shape?

Back to the javelin... I think I can count on one hand the number of people on here who have admitted to eating javalina, me being one of them and I know far more have shot them than eat them. Saving the cape for a mount doesn't count either.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951443 11/08/17 04:02 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Have been checked numerous times on the county road several miles after leaving the ranch. There's some profiling going on as they always checked every male passenger and never the females.

Moral of the story: You can be checked anywhere at anytime for a hunting license unless you have boobs.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: titan2232] #6951461 11/08/17 04:14 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Have been checked numerous times on the county road several miles after leaving the ranch. There's some profiling going on as they always checked every male passenger and never the females.

Moral of the story: You can be checked anywhere at anytime for a hunting license unless you have boobs.

Its different if your fishing though, they want every person in that damn boat to have a fishing license. Took my inlaws out a few years ago, MIL wanted to go just for the boat ride. I told her don't even touch a fishing rod and she didn't but the warden was a pain in the azz when she didn't have a license.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: ChadTRG42] #6951484 11/08/17 04:27 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: gary75758
GW has code to gate and key to cabin, i have nothing to hide,
texas

I don't think its about nothing to hide. Would you feel the same way if a trooper or city police officer stopped you from time to time just to see if you had in violations in your vehicle even though you weren't doing anything illegal to be pulled over. If I violate the law I understand the right of any law enforcement to take action. I take issue to someone coming onto private property to look for violations. I've been taking a nap and woke up by game wardens wanting to check my hunting license. This makes no sense to me.

This right here is why I posted.. that scenario doesnt sit well.. stretching their power a bit IMO..

There is no stretching of their power. That IS their power. Yes, it is a further extension beyond your normal LEO rules. It has to be for them to find infractions.

So I have to provide a hunting license just because he asks? Even though Im not hunting, simply being on a property that is known to be hunted? Again, no shoes, plain clothes, drinking beer flipping steaks. Never did I say I had been out hunting prior to that question. He just assumed because of where I was. Nothing to hide, just struck me as odd that an assumption was made, and how would that end had I not been hunting? Only there as a visitor.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951491 11/08/17 04:30 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I have the utmost respect for all LEO's and since I have nothing to hide and I don't have an issue letting them know who I am, what I am doing etc... That being said, I do not listen to lectures and on occasions in the past when getting a speeding ticket, or having had the same issue with a processor a previous poster had, I let them know real quick if I need a ticket, write me one but I'm not listening to any lectures. I'll gladly pay the fine and in the case of the processor situation, I understand the law now and will never make that mistake again.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: ChadTRG42] #6951494 11/08/17 04:32 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

This is my problem. The GWs I have met were very nice & professional, that still doesn't make it ok that they have official powers that obviously exceed that of any other LE agent, & are obviously beyond the Constitution.

What other LE agents are you ok with having "power beyond normal LE rules"? IRS? They gotta find tax cheats. ATF? They gotta find illegal guns. City cops or Sherifs deputys setting up roadside checkpoints & searching every vehicle? They could catch alot of law breaking, if only they could search every person at any time. You ok with that?

It's a huge slippery slope, & many here are ok giving up their 4th Amendment rights under the guise of catching guys who shoot a few too many birds or don't fill out tags completely.

If only our .gov gave as much of a [censored] about catching ACTUAL LAW BREAKERS, like murders, rapists, illegals, etc...............

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951505 11/08/17 04:38 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

So I have to provide a hunting license just because he asks? Even though Im not hunting, simply being on a property that is known to be hunted? Again, no shoes, plain clothes, drinking beer flipping steaks. Never did I say I had been out hunting prior to that question. He just assumed because of where I was. Nothing to hide, just struck me as odd that an assumption was made, and how would that end had I not been hunting? Only there as a visitor.

Yes, you do. Because of this right here... "or reasonably believes that a person has been engaged in such an activity". You're in a deer camp, during deer season. It's reasonable to believe you have been hunting. Especially after being somewhat evasive during the initial contact.

Inspection Authority

A game warden who observes a person engaged in an activity governed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in such an activity may inspect:

any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;
any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;
any wildlife resource in the person's possession; and
the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.
The full text of this law may be found in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, 12.102 or call TPWD at (800) 792-1112 (press 9, then 4381).

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951509 11/08/17 04:40 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
I think its great that many of you long time land owners or long time leases have good relationships with your GW. I hope to develop that over time as well.. seems like most have encountered bad experiences upon first contact or in public waters/hunting grounds. I get it, when a GW approaches you for the first time, he never knows what hes walking into, nor do we know where they just came from.
I didnt intend for this to turn into a GW bashing thread, again, i truley appreciate what they do..

My beef is and will always be them having the ability to come on to private property without reason.. no tip, no observation. As a law abiding citizen, it doesnt seem right that a government employee can stroll on into my private property without reason..I dont understand how many of you are ok with that.

Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951513 11/08/17 04:43 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I keep my house locked at night when I am asleep and I keep it locked when I am not at home. WHy shouldn't I keep the gate to my property locked at night and when I am not there? Just locking the gate keeps out lots of riffraff. If GW thinks this looks suspicious, come on down.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: fouzman] #6951553 11/08/17 05:11 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: fouzman

Yes, you do. Because of this right here... "or reasonably believes that a person has been engaged in such an activity". You're in a deer camp, during deer season. It's reasonable to believe you have been hunting. Especially after being somewhat evasive during the initial contact.

Inspection Authority

A game warden who observes a person engaged in an activity governed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in such an activity may inspect:

any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;
any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;
any wildlife resource in the person's possession; and
the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.
The full text of this law may be found in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, 12.102 or call TPWD at (800) 792-1112 (press 9, then 4381).

^^ Exactly. I'm not an expert on exact LEO rules and such. But I do know a GW has much more latitude for searches and "probing" than a standard LEO does. There has been cases where a known crime house was known to have rifles and firearms, and a GW had been called in to "search" the house for firearms. They have much more authority than your standard LEO does, for sure!

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951559 11/08/17 05:16 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
My beef is and will always be them having the ability to come on to private property without reason.. no tip, no observation. As a law abiding citizen, it doesnt seem right that a government employee can stroll on into my private property without reason..I dont understand how many of you are ok with that.

I fully understand your point. I fully understand your concern. But that's the law that GW operate under. You don't like it, take it up with your politicians.

If a GW has reason to believe you are hunting, he can come on the property.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: Stevarino] #6951562 11/08/17 05:19 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
No you probably did not have to show license. You could have refused in ehich case he could have a written you citation which you would beat in court or he could have just said okay this guy is either hiding his log or a jerk in either case I'm gonna be up his rear.

It was your choice.

Ps. Steve on your recommendation I spoke with the salesman from Bailey lumber and they are providing all the material for my house way over in Grayson county. Estimator was the only person I could find that gave me the time of day. Been a great experience.

Last edited by ducknbass; 11/08/17 05:24 PM.
Re: GW came by Saturday night [Re: ducknbass] #6951573 11/08/17 05:26 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Ps. Steve on your recommendation I spoke with the salesman from Bailey lumber and they are providing all the material for my house way over in Grayson county. Estimator was the only person I could find that gave me the time of day. Been a great experience.

Good deal. Best of luck! Remember, youre on okie time, so you need a little patience.. honest truth.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide