Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915778 10/10/17 08:02 PM
J
JTS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I agree with the others when they say if you get permission to hunt a place for free don't extend that invitation to your buddies. I own land and let a friend of mine set up a stand and hunt my place for free. I figured it would be nice to have someone else to hunt with and hang out with. During dove season he brings other people out to hunt and during the winter he brings out other people to sit and hunt hogs in his stand with him. I can't ever remember him asking if I need any help on the farm.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915807 10/10/17 08:24 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
I do, we talked on line in a hunting site. Great guy! Couple bucks on his place

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915809 10/10/17 08:29 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6916290 10/11/17 03:49 AM
B
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Been at this game for along time. Certainly all points here hold merit and sound wisdom. I can honestly say 90% of the landowners decision is already made before you ever show up based on thier previous experiences with other hunters. In my neck of the woods DFW yuppies have burned ALOT of bridges I will probably never get to mend. It is very very very unfortunate. Respect is everything in life and there is a fine line between fear and respect. I know for every 25 doors I knock on with sole purpose of requesting to hunt I pick up one. Very discerning. I have designated entire Saturdays to driving the back roads to only go home empty handed. Alot of times someone else owned the property that does not even live in the county. On the other hand every property owner I have built a repore with before ever popping the question I can say I'm probably batting 90%. Even in the day of land agreements, leases and contracts, I
can honestly say every door I knocked on was based on a good ole fashion handshake. You came in the same way you can go, at the drop of a hat.

I will say this too, in life we meet alot of personalities and we use this bases to judge others. The old saying is not too judge a book by its cover but it's human nature. While I get proven wrong I will admit at times I have made a decision on what kind of a person you are before you ever open your mouth. Now I am a very humble individual and fully believe in giving everyone a chance in life to show thier true colors but this judgement is what I default to until you prove me otherwise. Pretty sure most others do the same. This is why first impressions is everything. I know from my travels to different parts of the country hold different values and clicks if you will. Furthermore if your not a local you will spotted a mile away. I also know we have alotta guys and gals here on the forum from other parts of the world but here in Texas we have our own way of doing.... Well everything! Some areas are a bit different like Austin but out here in the sticks most still value a smile and a hand shake. Just remember in the future your actions WILL have consequences on not only yourself but others. Be respectful and honest!

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6916545 10/11/17 01:57 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Unless you have a check to send with those letters, I wouldn't bother. The odds of you finding that one last honey hole by knocking on some old farmers door are all but over. The key now is to find a good paid lease and being able to keep it.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6916563 10/11/17 02:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I just gave a guy permission to hunt last week for free. Super nice kid.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6916584 10/11/17 02:24 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I just gave a guy permission to hunt last week for free. Super nice kid.
up

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6917747 10/12/17 01:09 PM
A
AdanV Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
Thank yall for the responses.

Yes, I was going to offer myself and my truck for some Saturdays a year in exchange for permission to hunt.
Its actually how I acquired a number of tools, good furniture, and such over the past few years (by Bartering services).

I have a coworker/friend that owns property, but with the morale of the company, I'm not sure if its a good time to ask.
With the downturn of the upstream O/G industry, it doesn't look like we'll survive any longer.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6917761 10/12/17 01:18 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
From what I have seen as a landowner, people love to take a mile when offered an inch.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6917781 10/12/17 01:30 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
If i was a landowner, I probably would not let anyone I did not know hunt my land.

I know POS that own land and hunt on their neighbors property even after he told them no hammer

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: Capt.JVH] #6917791 10/12/17 01:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Capt.JVH
From what I have seen as a landowner, people love to take a mile when offered an inch.

Why we don't lease any more, but we are also not in a premium area. In general I feel like the "permission" guys take a lot better care then the "I paid my money" guys. Disclaimer I also lease hunting acreage in other states. So I'm not against myself for say just making a general statement.

Not much you can tear up on our place, but we have one strict rule because it can cost a lot of money, If the grass is over 8" don't drive through it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6917928 10/12/17 03:23 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I used to lease our farm in Illinois for deer hunting to one big family. I had it in the lease that only immediate family members (parents,kids, grandkids) could hunt and I needed the names of everyone in writing before season each year. I would get a list of about 10 people ranging from adults to little kids in the family. We knew this was the case before leasing so we agreed on having 4 hunters on the property at a time for safety sake. We ended up catching them with all the people on the property at once but only 4 had guns. The rest were pushing the farm out for the shooters. They found a way to work around my safety rules. The juice was not worth the squeeze for me so they don't hunt there any more. Last thing I or my insurance needs is a kid getting shot while doing a deer drive on my farm. This was just a symptom of a bigger problem in my eyes and its not worth the hassle to me.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6920541 10/14/17 09:40 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I hunt on my buddies private land. He's a great guy and will always top off our feeders or turn on my SHL Exterminator II feeder light so it is charged before I come up to hog hunt. He is a good friend and lives on the property.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6920588 10/14/17 10:33 PM
L
longgunner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L

My attitude has changed quite a bit. If there are inexperienced hunters on my place, each one of them requires a full time experienced hunter with them all the time, no exceptions.... Also, if you want to bring your child or teenager to learn to hunt, buy them a rifle or shotgun and take them to the range before they show up..... Not being stingy, but accidents can happen when a new hunter is given a weapon they are not familiar with....

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6921010 10/15/17 12:48 PM
Wildphilhickup Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
We ALL hunt on someone else's Land.

Gods Land.

MILL CREEK HONEY BEE FARM, LLC
millcreekhoneybeefarm @yahoo.com
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6921547 10/16/17 12:02 AM
T
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Since moving to Texas from Virginia, I hunted public land for 2 years. However, after the 2d year realized that was not a good option. Got on a lease friends in East Texas and deer are not there in a goodly number. Leastwise where our property was located. Next I signed up with a group lease in Central Texas. Much better hunting as the deer are there in a good number. Now I am the only original hunter on that lease. The owner is a very fine individual. Sure the cost of the lease, some people would consider pricy. However, I certainly do not expect land owner to pay taxes on the property I hunt on. I follow the Lease Agree, to the letter. Right now I have a piece of Texas with some very nice bucks and a camp site away from the crowd. Off a Country Road that has very little traffic. I feel blessed that the Owner leases the property to me.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6922122 10/16/17 02:18 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
My buddy in Columbia, TN hunts several small farms. All his contacts came because he attended a small country church and avoided the big ones in Columbia.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: JTS] #6922650 10/16/17 08:55 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: JTS
I agree with the others when they say if you get permission to hunt a place for free don't extend that invitation to your buddies. I own land and let a friend of mine set up a stand and hunt my place for free. I figured it would be nice to have someone else to hunt with and hang out with. During dove season he brings other people out to hunt and during the winter he brings out other people to sit and hunt hogs in his stand with him. I can't ever remember him asking if I need any help on the farm.
I should have clarified. 15-17 yo, used to duck hunt the Paluxy river in Glen rose. Parked on Big bend trail and walked down the hill to the river. Never knew who owned the access property. Knocked on a door of the closest house and it was a preacher in town. He said if anyone asked you who told you, you could hunt tell them preacher so and so said he told you. Sounded good to me. We hunted there for years. Killed hundreds of ducks and many quail. Saw deer a few times but never killed one. One time the river had flooded then gone down, trapping hundreds of "barndoor" crappie. Went to Glen Rose and bought minnows and a couple of 202 combos and pulled every fish we could see out of those clear, shallow holes. Probably kept 200 fish. No joke. Best day of fishing ever. Ended up buying our ranch 35 years later in the same area. Love it down here.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6922651 10/16/17 08:56 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
No limit on crappie back in the 70s

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: hook_n_line] #6922703 10/16/17 09:53 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
The guy north west of me will forget he said you could hunt and call the law.(can be cool) One guy lets us hog hunt but no deer.(friendly but peculiar) They can only tell you "no" but you'll never know if you don't ask. up

Hunted a place the last 3 years. Went and talked to the owner every couple weeks, always took him beer or steaks when I went to see him. And always picked up after myself. One day out of the blue last year he "forgot" he gave me permission and called the law. Good thing I had hundreds of texts for the LEO to read. People can be shady! I believe the law states you must have written permission from the land owner.

Last edited by Merican Duck Hunter; 10/16/17 09:59 PM.

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #6923262 10/17/17 12:22 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
The guy north west of me will forget he said you could hunt and call the law.(can be cool) One guy lets us hog hunt but no deer.(friendly but peculiar) They can only tell you "no" but you'll never know if you don't ask. up

Hunted a place the last 3 years. Went and talked to the owner every couple weeks, always took him beer or steaks when I went to see him. And always picked up after myself. One day out of the blue last year he "forgot" he gave me permission and called the law. Good thing I had hundreds of texts for the LEO to read. People can be shady! I believe the law states you must have written permission from the land owner.

I only know that in Harris county you have to have written consent in your possession while hunting others land. Could be other places.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6923351 10/17/17 01:26 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I used to own a property management company. I restored land with livestock tax exemptions to wildlife conservation approved exemptions . It's actually a common practice here in the hill country. The country folks are leaving and the non hunting California and Houston retirees are moving in. They are pretty clueless about that stuff. Most don't approve firearms either. I have 5000 acres to hunt in Wimberley TX. I know I'm blessed to have it even though it's 90 percent bow hunting. They can be tough to deal with at times but are still good people. I kill a few hogs and post pics and they bake me cookies...it's a great thing.
I've sold my management business to my employees who don't hunt. I kept the hunting rights. I've had many people try to go around me and get permission but the landowners only give me the rights which is really nice.

My advice: Get master naturalist certified....it will make you a better hunter anyways. You'll be able to teach them a thing or two when ever they ask.
When you hunt the land never park where the LO sees you or your truck. Honestly just stay out of sight and out of mind. Share TC pics with them and meat if they are interested. Follow their rules to a tee. Don't bring guests. Guests always mess things up for you, I've had the same property rights for over 15 years by following those guidelines

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: Wildphilhickup] #6923371 10/17/17 01:35 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: Wildphilhickup
We ALL hunt on someone else's Land.

Gods Land.

Yes Sir!!! Glory be to God!!! The best LO there is. My lease on life has been a great one. He sure has created amazing animals for us. Thank you Lord!!

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: Wacm] #6923383 10/17/17 01:41 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Wacm
I used to own a property management company. I restored land with livestock tax exemptions to wildlife conservation approved exemptions . It's actually a common practice here in the hill country. The country folks are leaving and the non hunting California and Houston retirees are moving in. They are pretty clueless about that stuff. Most don't approve firearms either. I have 5000 acres to hunt in Wimberley TX. I know I'm blessed to have it even though it's 90 percent bow hunting. They can be tough to deal with at times but are still good people. I kill a few hogs and post pics and they bake me cookies...it's a great thing.
I've sold my management business to my employees who don't hunt. I kept the hunting rights. I've had many people try to go around me and get permission but the landowners only give me the rights which is really nice.

My advice: Get master naturalist certified....it will make you a better hunter anyways. You'll be able to teach them a thing or two when ever they ask.
When you hunt the land never park where the LO sees you or your truck. Honestly just stay out of sight and out of mind. Share TC pics with them and meat if they are interested. Follow their rules to a tee. Don't bring guests. Guests always mess things up for you, I've had the same property rights for over 15 years by following those guidelines

Where and how would you get master naturalist certified?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6923608 10/17/17 04:25 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
UT offered it a long time ago. I helped a few people who found it offered at Cabelas here in Austin.
The one at UT was great cause they also had just amazing Tax exemption classes there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide