Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: kbobbjr] #6870548 08/27/17 08:39 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: kbobbjr
Originally Posted By: bobcat1
I have a friend that has a Pudelpointer he says is doing great. Lots of choices.

Not many Pudelpointers around. I wonder if it's the same one I'm training. If it is, I love the dog. Very smart, good nose, obedient, good marker and loves to work. Think I'd take it over a Drathaar.

kbobbjr, Do you know where the pudelpointer came from? There are not many around. I have one that just turned a year old and it has really opened my eyes. You may be training a litter mate to my dog. I know there were two out of the liter that came to Texas. Full brothers to the dog Texasphez owns.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6871060 08/28/17 09:42 AM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
drahthaar would be high on my list,if i ever get a big dog again it will be this. boykin wouldnt be much futher down.

i have a jagdterrier and they will do all you've asked with training. But im primarily looking for a blood tracker

Glad to see the lab fan boys arnt brain washing you... there are some incredible ones... and some incredibly BAD ones. I think they are over hyped tremendously as a breed.plenty of breeds can do what they can but there just arnt as many around

Last edited by catslayer; 08/28/17 09:46 AM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6871745 08/28/17 09:44 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I had a female red dash hound given to me that I trained to blood trail and retrieve doves and quail like a champ. She would retrieve doves out of the stock tank like a lab. She recognized a dove from other birds and would start barking when she saw doves approaching. She was a heck of an athlete for a wiener dog.
She was very good on a wounded deer unless the deer was alive when she found it. She was just too small to catch and hold the deer for you.
Adios,
Gary

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: kbobbjr] #6871925 08/28/17 11:28 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have a friend that has a Pudelpointer he says is doing great. Lots of choices.

Not many Pudelpointers around. I wonder if it's the same one I'm training. If it is, I love the dog. Very smart, good nose, obedient, good marker and loves to work. Think I'd take it over a Drathaar.
It belongs to Kirk Grounds. She even retrieves crappie he throws back in the lake that float on top of the water. LOL

Bobby Barnett

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6872944 08/29/17 09:31 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Lab or a Boykin

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: Smokey Bear] #6873528 08/30/17 01:49 PM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear

kbobbjr, Do you know where the pudelpointer came from? There are not many around. I have one that just turned a year old and it has really opened my eyes. You may be training a litter mate to my dog. I know there were two out of the liter that came to Texas. Full brothers to the dog Texasphez owns.

He came from Colorado, I believe. And I'm pretty sure he just turned a year old as well.

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6877955 09/04/17 03:13 PM
S
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
S
I have raised and hunted black labs most of my life, got a gun cabinet full of ribbons and silver platter trophies from last lab that was a Derby dog.
My Pudelpointer pup just turned 1 years old and I can honestly say she is the smartest dog that I have ever owned. Totally a different breed in attitude, trainability, natural instincts, versatile abilities, tracking, pointing, retrieving and a nose that has blow me away. She loves the water and I believe she could have out swam them all, can't keep her out of the water when we go fishing. Faults! She has eaten 3 tv remotes!!!!

This one is going to be a fun one, to train me up.

Here's a few picture of Judee my Pudelpointer.

1st quail hunt.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6877973 09/04/17 03:31 PM
S
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
S
Busting cover.

Catches frogs.

Hunts sheds.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6877982 09/04/17 03:39 PM
S
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
S

Loved wade fishing this past spring, she will dive under and try to catch the throw backs.

She even modeled for a new Grooming Tub, she's a ham!

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6878031 09/04/17 04:52 PM
S
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
S
I think I could train her to be a cadaver dog, she swims along and smells something and sticks her head under.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: ] #6878388 09/05/17 12:04 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Here is a video of SheCrappieKilla's dog Judee at one year and one week. Can't see much but the end.

Bobby Barnett

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6878395 09/05/17 12:11 AM
S
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
S
Well shoot, thanks Bobby for trying.

That was a 285 yard blind/shed hunt, not bad for a pup.

Need to figure out how to video I guess.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: ] #6878405 09/05/17 12:24 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Shecrappiekilla
Well shoot, thanks Bobby for trying.

That was a 285 yard blind/shed hunt, not bad for a pup.

Need to figure out how to video I guess.

This one is better.

Bobby Barnett

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6882395 09/09/17 02:22 AM
L
LReichardt Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Got a GWP, after coming from a lab, can say versatile gun dogs are a hoot for sure.

Last edited by LReichardt; 09/09/17 02:22 AM.
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: ] #6882614 09/09/17 03:56 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Shecrappiekilla
I have raised and hunted black labs most of my life, got a gun cabinet full of ribbons and silver platter trophies from last lab that was a Derby dog.
My Pudelpointer pup just turned 1 years old and I can honestly say she is the smartest dog that I have ever owned. Totally a different breed in attitude, trainability, natural instincts, versatile abilities, tracking, pointing, retrieving and a nose that has blow me away. She loves the water and I believe she could have out swam them all, can't keep her out of the water when we go fishing. Faults! She has eaten 3 tv remotes!!!!

This one is going to be a fun one, to train me up.

Here's a few picture of Judee my Pudelpointer.

Interested in your perspective having owned a lab that ran Derbies as well as hunt tests.

Are you or have you put Judee through a traditional retriever training program? How has your training differed from the way you trained your labs?

Thanks

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6882795 09/09/17 09:28 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6883005 09/10/17 02:45 AM
S
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
S
BradyBuck,

I have been training her just like a lab for the most part.

These dogs naturally use their nose and always hunt into or across the wind. I didn't teach that.

She does not need half the pressure as a lab does and she gets butt hurt awful easy.

Obedience is just the same as any dog, except without teaching her to sit. I just taught her whoa in place of sit. She delivers to hand and will spin around to heal just like a lab on delivery of a bird and stands without setting. Whoa also means stay. If I say whoa, she won't move till I call her name. (to flush).

Tracking, I didn't teach that. She naturally hunts the wind. I would just drag a dead duck with a rope, then go back to the truck and get her out, say heal, walk to the scent trail, call her name and she did the rest from day one. Tracking is as natural for them, just the same as a lab is and will go get a tennis ball all day long. She just hunts with her nose. Mind blowing to me, 300 + yards blind shed hunts and scent trails at 6 month old.

Force fetch, just like a lab, without all the pressure.

Retrieving, train just like a lab, biggest difference is she gets bored if I just throw a bumper. Truly doesn't like them at all. Birds, live or dead, she goes nuts.

Shed hunting, started her at 8 weeks with a shed as a chew toy in the house. Made it a game, always asking her "where is your bone", we would walk around the house until she found it. As she got older, just say the word and she is looking for it. So In the field I make her heal, then ask her to find the bone, call her name and she hunts the wind.

Pointing, didn't teach that. I don't understand how she understands it's live birds vs a dead bird that I have laid a scent trail to. She has found and pointed a wild covey of
quail, hope to have her into more birds this fall. She points rabbits in the neighborhood just like if you were quail hunting. (I found out in Germany it is common to hunt rabbits just like quail, dog goes on point, hunter flushes and shoots.) I didn't teach that.

Squirrels, crazy damn dog trails to the tree and points the base of the tree, I didn't teach that.

She is teaching me mostly, I just give her the opportunity.

Well that's the short side of it and truth be know Judee is my wife's dog, she absolutely melts around my wife.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: ] #6883063 09/10/17 04:21 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Shecrappiekilla
BradyBuck,

I have been training her just like a lab for the most part.

These dogs naturally use their nose and always hunt into or across the wind. I didn't teach that.

She does not need half the pressure as a lab does and she gets butt hurt awful easy.

Obedience is just the same as any dog, except without teaching her to sit. I just taught her whoa in place of sit. She delivers to hand and will spin around to heal just like a lab on delivery of a bird and stands without setting. Whoa also means stay. If I say whoa, she won't move till I call her name. (to flush).

Tracking, I didn't teach that. She naturally hunts the wind. I would just drag a dead duck with a rope, then go back to the truck and get her out, say heal, walk to the scent trail, call her name and she did the rest from day one. Tracking is as natural for them, just the same as a lab is and will go get a tennis ball all day long. She just hunts with her nose. Mind blowing to me, 300 + yards blind shed hunts and scent trails at 6 month old.

Force fetch, just like a lab, without all the pressure.

Retrieving, train just like a lab, biggest difference is she gets bored if I just throw a bumper. Truly doesn't like them at all. Birds, live or dead, she goes nuts.

Shed hunting, started her at 8 weeks with a shed as a chew toy in the house. Made it a game, always asking her "where is your bone", we would walk around the house until she found it. As she got older, just say the word and she is looking for it. So In the field I make her heal, then ask her to find the bone, call her name and she hunts the wind.

Pointing, didn't teach that. I don't understand how she understands it's live birds vs a dead bird that I have laid a scent trail to. She has found and pointed a wild covey of
quail, hope to have her into more birds this fall. She points rabbits in the neighborhood just like if you were quail hunting. (I found out in Germany it is common to hunt rabbits just like quail, dog goes on point, hunter flushes and shoots.) I didn't teach that.

Squirrels, crazy damn dog trails to the tree and points the base of the tree, I didn't teach that.

She is teaching me mostly, I just give her the opportunity.

Well that's the short side of it and truth be know Judee is my wife's dog, she absolutely melts around my wife.

Thanks!

Very cool!!

Might just have to look into one someday

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6883251 09/10/17 03:19 PM
S
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
S
Dew in the hay field made tracking easy this morning.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6883326 09/10/17 06:32 PM
T
Texasphez Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
If you lookup versatility in the dictionary, there will be a picture of a pudelpointer!

And if someone can help me upload a video, I've gat a couple of good ones.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6898047 09/25/17 01:44 PM
S
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
Shecrappiekilla
Unregistered
S
After the morning teal hunt was a bust we hit the pecan grove.

Only found 1, the others couldn't be located with all the leaves still on the trees. This winter is going to be fun.

She did get to experance trying to haul geese, that seemed almost as big is she is, out of the water and up the bank last week.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6899299 09/26/17 02:03 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Duck hunting with 3 month old PP

PP carrying geese at 3 months

Wild quail at 5 months

Locked up in training at a year old. He should be ready to to do some damage this year.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: ] #6899374 09/26/17 02:57 PM
N
neal_david50 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
N
Does she bark treed on the squirrels?

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6899532 09/26/17 04:28 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
In regards to the PP there seems to be a wide range in coat thickness and color ranging from almost black to light brown with some having white patches. Some almost resemble a GSP while others a GWP.

Is there a standard on color or coat?

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6899592 09/26/17 05:01 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Brown to black in color. White on chest allowed. Under coat like a lab. Top coat ranges from somewhat slick to wooly. Feathering on muzzle.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 09/26/17 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide