Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,757
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844090 08/03/17 05:32 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Someone quick, write this down....Judd, JG and RR all agreed on something grin You can normally find 2 of the three of us agree but you have the trifecta on this one wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: Judd] #6844100 08/03/17 05:40 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Judd
Someone quick, write this down....Judd, JG and RR all agreed on something grin You can normally find 2 of the three of us agree but you have the trifecta on this one wink

Pretty weird, huh?
shocked

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: RiverRider] #6844160 08/03/17 06:36 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: Judd

Pretty weird, huh?
shocked

Did the eclipse happen early, and throw everything out of whack? confused

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844216 08/03/17 07:26 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I agree with FiremanJG's list and offer the following for consideration.

Hornady rings screw parallel to the die threads rather than perpendicular (in) to the threads. Forster rings are the same. Since I have Coax I opted for the Forster rings... maybe they are a different thinkness but I haven't measured. The Hornady rings have flats to get a wrench on them whereas the Forster rings do not but I don't know how that matters if using them in a Coax. They are comparably priced I believe. Moving on, the Wilson/Sinclair trimmer is great. Check it out. And, lastly, check out Satern powder funnels - they come in two varieties, multi-caliber and caliber-specific and are Aluminum. I got the caliber-specific variety and like them a lot.

I can't imagine why people would suggest the Coax is a poor choice. The only regret one could have about a Coax is not getting one. In a separate thread, if anybody cares to, I'd be curious to hear cons of the Coax (for all skill levels but in particular for a newcomer as RiverRider said "I'm not sure I'd suggest a Co-Ax for a beginner").

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: Mickey Moose] #6844223 08/03/17 07:39 PM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
I'll check it out, thank you.

Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844241 08/03/17 07:49 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If money is not an object I would go with firemans list but would start with and stay with a single stage RCBS for rifle ammo and a powder trickler to use with the beam scale. Then later add a progressive press for high volume pistol and AR ammo.
For someone just starting out the rockchucker kit is a bargain. You will need some of other tools to go with it though. Learning the basics with quality but simple gear and learning what you want to upgrade is a good route to take. It will be your bench tailored to your ammo needs then.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844250 08/03/17 07:55 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Ok now I see why, RR & JG.

Just got finished watching a few vids of the Co-Ax in action. Suddenly my world may have just gotten a bit bigger. eek2

Don't know why, but in all the years I've been loading I never took a closer look at that press. Pretty darned nifty.

Oh, boy...

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: tth_40] #6844256 08/03/17 08:03 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: tth_40
Ok now I see why, RR & JG.

Just got finished watching a few vids of the Co-Ax in action. Suddenly my world may have just gotten a bit bigger. eek2

Don't know why, but in all the years I've been loading I never took a closer look at that press. Pretty darned nifty.

Oh, boy...

Time to upgrade, I did a few years ago. Wanted one for years before finally biting the bullet so to speak

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844378 08/03/17 09:22 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I think you may be right, my son has been trying to talk me out of my Classic Cast for the last few years.

That may be just the excuse I need... grin

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: Mickey Moose] #6844409 08/03/17 09:49 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

I can't imagine why people would suggest the Coax is a poor choice. The only regret one could have about a Coax is not getting one. In a separate thread, if anybody cares to, I'd be curious to hear cons of the Coax (for all skill levels but in particular for a newcomer as RiverRider said "I'm not sure I'd suggest a Co-Ax for a beginner").

I think this is as good a place as any to talk about that.

I haven't said the Co-Ax would be a poor choice, but a beginner may find that it makes things more complicated. To begin with, when you look over general basic reloading instructions, they're all oriented toward a conventional press. That could induce some confusion. Like JG, I found that a Grip-n-Pull type bullet puller could not be used. Certain press-mounted stuck case removers can't be used. Some press-mounted primer pocket swagers cannot be used. There may be more stuff that isn't compatible...I haven't tried every accessory available, yet, and I wouldn't be surprised to find more. For that reason I did equip myself with an RCBS Jr press since I gave away my Rockchucker when I bought my Co-Ax.

I guess it all really depends on the individual...how mechanically inclined you are and how well you can visualize, how well you can understand written explanations, even how well you can use the Google-foo, and other factors. Having a mentor can go a long way too. But for the guy who decides to pick up the hobby on a whim, never heard of headspace, and never cracked open a reloading manual, and has no nearby mentor to coach him, it may be the worst choice of all besides a progressive.

All just my opinion, of course.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: RiverRider] #6844456 08/03/17 10:31 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
.I can't imagine why people would suggest the Coax is a poor choice. The only regret one could have about a Coax is not getting one. In a separate thread, if anybody cares to, I'd be curious to hear cons of the Coax (for all skill levels but in particular for a newcomer as RiverRider said "I'm not sure I'd suggest a Co-Ax for a beginner").

I think this is as good a place as any to talk about that.

I haven't said the Co-Ax would be a poor choice, but a beginner may find that it makes things more complicated. To begin with, when you look over general basic reloading instructions, they're all oriented toward a conventional press. That could induce some confusion. Like JG, I found that a Grip-n-Pull type bullet puller could not be used. Certain press-mounted stuck case removers can't be used. Some press-mounted primer pocket swagers cannot be used. There may be more stuff that isn't compatible...I haven't tried every accessory available, yet, and I wouldn't be surprised to find more. For that reason I did equip myself with an RCBS Jr press since I gave away my Rockchucker when I bought my Co-Ax.

I guess it all really depends on the individual...how mechanically inclined you are and how well you can visualize, how well you can understand written explanations, even how well you can use the Google-foo, and other factors. Having a mentor can go a long way too. But for the guy who decides to pick up the hobby on a whim, never heard of headspace, and never cracked open a reloading manual, and has no nearby mentor to coach him, it may be the worst choice of all besides a progressive.

All just my opinion, of course.

I didn't want to derail the point of the orginal post which was not specific to debating types of presses alone.

I had typed out the majority of a nice response and decided to heck with it - I started with a Coax (not too long ago) and Google. I've bounced only a couple questions off of a couple people. Because of my incredibly high IQ I've figured pretty much everything out (that I've needed to so far). I'm just that brilliant (said with much sarcasm - If I can grasp a Coax then I think everybody can)!

Not trying to be a j@ck@$$ and I appreciate your opinions.

Cheers.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844459 08/03/17 10:35 PM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Yall keep it coming, I'm all ears....

Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844584 08/04/17 12:44 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
OK, which one and why?

RCBS CM Juan

Or Two

Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844604 08/04/17 12:57 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The whole thing- # one. But get it a Natchezz or somewhere where it's not $350!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: Smokey Bear] #6844610 08/04/17 01:03 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
If money is not an object I would go with firemans list but would start with and stay with a single stage RCBS for rifle ammo and a powder trickler to use with the beam scale. Then later add a progressive press for high volume pistol and AR ammo.
For someone just starting out the rockchucker kit is a bargain. You will need some of other tools to go with it though. Learning the basics with quality but simple gear and learning what you want to upgrade is a good route to take. It will be your bench tailored to your ammo needs then.

If he buys a Rock Chucker, and loads for all those cartridges on his list, you know what's gonna happen?

He will end up selling it, when it's as much trouble as it is to swap dies. Lose money, and then buy a Co-Ax anyway.

Y'all remember my list? It included headspace gauges. Skinnerback has already sent me a PM stemming from this thread. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions, as soon as possible, for any other PMs he sends me.

Co-Ax is still the answer.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6844623 08/04/17 01:18 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

Thanks Chad, I'll look at Natchez.

Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: ChadTRG42] #6844626 08/04/17 01:19 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

Absolutely. I think I saw them on sale for $229 just the other day. Just bear in mind, though, 1998 was just the other day to this old fart.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: J.G.] #6844627 08/04/17 01:21 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear

If he buys a Rock Chucker, and loads for all those cartridges on his list, you know what's gonna happen?

He will end up selling it, when it's as much trouble as it is to swap dies. Lose money, and then buy a Co-Ax anyway.

Y'all remember my list? It included headspace gauges. Skinnerback has already sent me a PM stemming from this thread. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions, as soon as possible, for any other PMs he sends me.

Co-Ax is still the answer.

I truly appreciate everyone's help! I've been watching videos and reading on all of these presses and I do believe I'm sold on the Co Ax.

What does the brain trust here recommend for a good caliper?

Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844636 08/04/17 01:27 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
You can get a very usable digital caliper for $25 or less. If I was rollin in the dough, I'd get a Starrett, though.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: RiverRider] #6844652 08/04/17 01:37 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Thank you Sir. Not necessarily rolling in the dough but I've been putting in a butt load of overtime to be able to save up for all of this. I'm one of those "cry once" type of guys LOL. I'll take a look at that caliper you recommended. up

As soon as I can get someone to come get my ex's big heavy arse piano out of here I will have that spot open for my bench and shelves. I was thinking about building a bench and shelves, but was also thinking about just buying one of those ready to go work bench set-up's from Lowe's. I dunno, still thinking on it....

Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844680 08/04/17 01:55 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I use an American Starrett, just sayin. wink

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844682 08/04/17 01:57 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Well...knowing that, then I'd encourage you to go for the Starrett, and the Co-Ax too. Just know that the Co-Ax will impose a few restrictions on you, but you've heard about some of them and it's nothing major.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: RiverRider] #6844690 08/04/17 02:00 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
up

Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844691 08/04/17 02:01 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Also, what books and manuals do you guys recommend?

Re: Need some advice from you experienced fellers..... [Re: skinnerback] #6844881 08/04/17 10:44 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I've always thought Lyman's manuals are very good. I'd start with that one, but the more the better.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide