Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6838690 07/30/17 02:34 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I agree Maximus that protein helps. However, for a protein fed deer to reach full potential he needs to be eating for 5-6 years until he's mature. That means waiting that long to harvest him. Lots of great deer without protein but it certainly does make a difference for those that can wait

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: sbushee] #6838742 07/30/17 03:43 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: sbushee
I agree Maximus that protein helps. However, for a protein fed deer to reach full potential he needs to be eating for 5-6 years until he's mature. That means waiting that long to harvest him. Lots of great deer without protein but it certainly does make a difference for those that can wait

It is actually pretty amazing what one year on protein can do. Sure it ain't full potential, but in a drought year the deer sure could use it.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: Simple Searcher] #6839233 07/31/17 12:33 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: sbushee

It is actually pretty amazing what one year on protein can do. Sure it ain't full potential, but in a drought year the deer sure could use it.

I agree 100%. Even if it didn't help many bucks, I think (assume) it helps a lot of does (& therefore fawns).

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6839281 07/31/17 01:01 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: don k
Except when the Ibex let him.

Sure, but correct me if I'm wrong. That deer does live on a high fenced goat ranch, that I'd imagine you take pretty good care of to ensure that your goats have plenty to graze on. I'd also bet he's eaten his share of goat feed over the years.

Not a thing wrong with any of that, but it's good to have the whole story.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: maximus_flavius] #6840138 07/31/17 07:13 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
I dont guess i understand the point of this thread.

So, those that don't feed protein are now morally superior to those who do?

There's some great pics of deer. Of course after a few years of great rainfall, we all have better deer. Would feeding protein not make the deer better?

Why would you NOT want to feed protein, at least a little?

I think it is interesting. If you don't know what good mature bucks look like in different areas of Texas without protein feed, you can't gauge the benefits of feeding protein.

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: cameron00] #6840147 07/31/17 07:21 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Hill Country 3 year old, no protein (slick 12 before breaking off G4 on right side).

Red dirt, cactus, brush mesquite, greenjay in the background of the first picture... doesn't look like any hill country I ever saw.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: ErnestTBass] #6840184 07/31/17 08:08 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

There's some great pics of deer. Of course after a few years of great rainfall, we all have better deer. Would feeding protein not make the deer better?

I think it is interesting. If you don't know what good mature bucks look like in different areas of Texas without protein feed, you can't gauge the benefits of feeding protein.

I this was posted and the title is what it is in response to another post regarding a certain protein feed and it advertised benefits.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: redchevy] #6840197 07/31/17 08:20 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

I this was posted and the title is what it is in response to another post regarding a certain protein feed and it advertised benefits.
you would think if someone was gonna brag about non protein fed deer they would at least post a pic of a nice non protein fed deer.

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: maximus_flavius] #6840218 07/31/17 08:40 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

What is the point of any thread? Just because someone post a thread about a specific method or lack thereof does not insinuate that the poster believes themselves to be "morally superior", it is just a different perspective.

That is like saying that the people that post in the bow hunting section think they are morally superior to those that don't, or the people that post kills by guns think they are morally superior to those that bow hunt. The logic is flawed.

Would feeding protein not make the deer better?

Simple answer is no, simply feeding protein will not make the deer better. There are a lot of other factors that go into growing bigger deer, just the addition of protein is not going to magically make your deer bigger. This is especially true if you just feed a little.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: SapperTitan] #6840234 07/31/17 08:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
you would think if someone was gonna brag about non protein fed deer they would at least post a pic of a nice non protein fed deer.

Looks like a nice deer to me confused2

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: redchevy] #6840255 07/31/17 09:00 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

it's an average deer nothing to brag about with a thread like this

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: SapperTitan] #6840264 07/31/17 09:09 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

There are places that feed protein that can't grow deer like the one in the OP..."average" is relative

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: txshntr] #6840308 07/31/17 09:51 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: txshntr

There are places that feed protein that can't grow deer like the one in the OP..."average" is relative

For instance, ^^^^^^^ average height in China.

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6840334 07/31/17 10:12 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Average might be relative but that deer is not one that most folks who "trophy" hunt would consider a shooter. Pretty nice but not quite what I'm looking for on my wall. That said if he were the best mature buck in my hunting area he'd get an arrow.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: txshntr] #6840335 07/31/17 10:12 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Indeed. Many of the places that can't grow deer like that is due to "meat hunters" shooting young deer. I think there's a thread goin on that...........

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6840402 07/31/17 10:52 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
I was not going to do any more posting on the THF. To me it is getting to much like FB. When I first got on here you could carry on a back an forth and maybe learn somethings from others that had more knowledge in the area than I. Now it is just name calling. I have been called everything from know it all SOB to the latest a jerk. I just give my opinions when someone wants them. They may be right or wrong. If you don't like them that is OK but don't get carried away with the insults. The only reason I posted the original picture was to show that you don't have to get crazy feeding protein to deer. Last year I sold 9 bucks and 5 does off 350 acres. This year maybe a couple less bucks. The only protein fed is 2 one pound coffee cans of L&E exotic breeder pellets in the morning to my 7 Ibex males and what ever the deer can get from them. Which is not much. So if you think the deer in the picture is protein fed you know squat. If you think that feeding maybe 3 pounds of L&E exotic breeder pellets has contributed to his antler growth again you know squat. Sometimes I get pissed reading some of your comments and sometimes I feel sorry for the ones that did the commenting.If I was feeding protein full time to my deer I sure as hell would not be charging $100 per point. And if feeding 2 coffee cans of L&E per day gives that kind of results then a lot of folks are spending way too much money on protein and not getting the results I am. I have been doing this a long time. I do not know it all but I at least have the knowledge to listen and learn. Which is more that I can say for a lot on here. This will probably be my last post on here and at first I enjoyed it. But not anymore. It seems the desk jockeys and name callers are here to stay.

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6840519 07/31/17 11:55 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Post away don, I like your posts. Nothing at all wrong with your buck and a lucky hunter would be proud to have. Lots of guys don't like my posts I'm sure and I don't give a rip.

Average and trophy is very relative to the place you're on. Not every lease will grow 180" bucks, if you think they will you're naive. Will some lease grow a buck that big, sure, but not all or even most will ever get close. You'll eat a tag sandwich every season until you die and not see a buck close to that, other places you can kill one opening morning.

Here's a non protein buck my son killed. I don't remember what he scored but age got him to this not protein.

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6840618 08/01/17 01:04 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Sooo, I see where 8pointdrop comes from.up

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6840626 08/01/17 01:08 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I was not going to do any more posting on the THF. To me it is getting to much like FB. When I first got on here you could carry on a back an forth and maybe learn somethings from others that had more knowledge in the area than I. Now it is just name calling. I have been called everything from know it all SOB to the latest a jerk. I just give my opinions when someone wants them. They may be right or wrong. If you don't like them that is OK but don't get carried away with the insults. The only reason I posted the original picture was to show that you don't have to get crazy feeding protein to deer. Last year I sold 9 bucks and 5 does off 350 acres. This year maybe a couple less bucks. The only protein fed is 2 one pound coffee cans of L&E exotic breeder pellets in the morning to my 7 Ibex males and what ever the deer can get from them. Which is not much. So if you think the deer in the picture is protein fed you know squat. If you think that feeding maybe 3 pounds of L&E exotic breeder pellets has contributed to his antler growth again you know squat. Sometimes I get pissed reading some of your comments and sometimes I feel sorry for the ones that did the commenting.If I was feeding protein full time to my deer I sure as hell would not be charging $100 per point. And if feeding 2 coffee cans of L&E per day gives that kind of results then a lot of folks are spending way too much money on protein and not getting the results I am. I have been doing this a long time. I do not know it all but I at least have the knowledge to listen and learn. Which is more that I can say for a lot on here. This will probably be my last post on here and at first I enjoyed it. But not anymore. It seems the desk jockeys and name callers are here to stay.

I have to agree with the Facebook comparison, since the OT has more post than the entire IN THE FIELD section.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6840644 08/01/17 01:19 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Don, I just assumed you fed protein year round. Is this 350 acres your HF place? Out of curiosity, why not feed protein, even if you have to charge more for deer?

Obviously, white tail deer have survived as long as they have without supplemental protein. And there's been plenty of big deer killed that never ate protein.

I have put out 10 tons of protein this year. Likely to put out another 2 or 3 ton pretty easy. Our deer were poor a couple of years ago (during the drought, which hit us hard). This is my 4th year of protein feeding. We have seen a dramatic increase in size & numbers. Which is probably partially protein related, & naturally better forage since the drought ended.

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6840754 08/01/17 02:33 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Funny...usually I don't respond to these type of post. I just delete them and insert the rule that they break, but....

I like you and have always enjoyed your post, so I am going to respond. Take it for what it is worth

You never struck me as the type that would get butt hurt about someone calling you names or disagreeing with you. You sure don't have a problem calling anyone else out and don't seem like someone that wears their feelings on their sleeves.

But I will say this to you and to anyone else, and everyone else, that feels the same...The forum is what you make out of it. It is an open forum and there are going to be smart people, dumb people, old people, young people, etc. There are going to be people you like and some you don't. There are going to be people you agree with and some you disagree with. There are going to be post you like and some you don't. There are going to be sections you like and some you don't.

If you want to leave, have at it. But don't blame other people or the forum. Being offended is a choice. If you don't enjoy it, leave, it isn't worth it. But it is up to you.

With that said, wish you well and appreciate the words of wisdom and insight you have provided over the years. And no offense, but we won't allow any other similar post. It isn't personal if it gets deleted, it is clearly in the rules. I just decided to make an exception cheers

I am available by PM if you or any other members have a complaint or words of wisdom that you believe would make the forum a better place and a place that you believe it was when you first joined, and I am always willing to discuss it.

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6842222 08/02/17 01:26 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Hope you change your mind Don, I always enjoyed your axis progression posts and the pictures of the ibex and your deer also.

Plus if you run off who am I gonna ask my bulldozer questions when we break something?

Gotta do what you gotta do but wish you would stay. Heck I'm probably the most disliked person on here, don't let it get under your skin, I think if more of us actually met and knew each other there would be some different understandings.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: redchevy] #6846066 08/05/17 07:18 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I think if more of us actually met and knew each other there would be some different understandings.

I doubt there has ever been a post on THF that holds more truth than this one right here. I think a LOT of the sarcasm/needling/witty posts are misread through the screen and are taken way different than the poster intends. Granted, some folks are very plain and blunt...but I'm willing to bet that even those who think they can't stand one another could find some common ground if they'd talk face to face

Originally Posted by East...
Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6846189 08/05/17 02:09 PM
T
texasgal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Non-protein, low fence. Corn on the ground is for census.

Re: Non protein fed Deer. [Re: don k] #6846234 08/05/17 02:49 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If a deer has good habitat & age he will reach his max potential. His max may be 250 lbs with a 180" rack or 125lbs and 105" rack. Genetics takes care of the latter part

Feeding protein to a mediocre deer isn't going to turn him into a giant just like not feeding it won't mean all you will have is scrubby ratchet horned bucks.

It's just another wildlife management tool.

And for the record I don't dislike redchevy

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide