Forums46
Topics543,741
Posts9,802,266
Members87,499
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6787004 06/08/17 03:43 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: Jgraider

Didn't mock you either. But it's still silly.
1)Not necessary;
2)You go full open-action. Really silly. Like "not using binoculars" silly.

I'm still trying to figure out why you're insulting Jgraider. confused2

When there's nothing left to say, that's what some people do. A page right out of the democratic playbook.

Careful there Jgraider, your ally in this thread is a card carrying liberal.

Another lie by some bested in debate so must resort to the straw man. smile

"Bested in debate"..... yelp in hindsight you didn't even need barbed hooks today

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787007 06/08/17 03:47 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Debate is what we often do on here BOBO. I know some don't like it because they want to be King and all - but it happens. And it's healthy. Gets it all out there.

Confident and knowledgeable folks on a subject don't mind a debate. Only the pretenders and insecure folks do.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787015 06/08/17 03:55 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Everybody is entitled to there own opinions. The problem I have with using the telescopic sight on a firearm to glass for game is if you do it long enough, sooner or later you will point your weapon at something you would never knowingly point a weapon at. 96% of Texas is private and chances are if you hunt in Texas you are hunting on private property. In most all lease agreements there is a clause detailing safe handling of firearms on the property. Glassing the countryside for game with your rifle? if you are doing a good job of glassing, pointing your gun at everything you can see will breech that contract and get you thrown off most any Lease in Texas if the landowner or one of his agents is aware of it. The other problem I have with this thread is it is on the internet for the whole world to see and the kids who visit this site are going to read that it is ok to settle in and glass the countryside with their rifle. That is not a message I can feel good about leaving for some kid to read. The scary thing that was just mentioned, is if someone inadvertently "glasses" someone who is a little twitchy, he is on the side of the law for protecting himself against someone pointing a firearm at him. Just too much that can go wrong for my taste.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6787024 06/08/17 04:13 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Debate is what we often do on here BOBO. I know some don't like it because they want to be King and all - but it happens. And it's healthy. Gets it all out there.

Confident and knowledgeable folks on a subject don't mind a debate. Only the pretenders and insecure folks do.

I Never said otherwise, I just noted today's conditions favored a good bite for you.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6787074 06/08/17 10:32 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Preaching to the choir. Degrading the type of actions that you live by. It's sad, really.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787081 06/08/17 10:48 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Obviously, that went over YOUR head like so many other posts.

Negative there Sparky. Based on your professional hunting ethics lots has gone over your head the past few years. You need to grow up and quit doing the very things you accuse NP of doing. In my relatively short time around this forum I've noticed that you are often times in the middle of a pissing match of some sort, and they all turn out the same....you getting your little feelers out of sorts. Grow up, bro.

Lol!

You're failing to see cause and effect. You and NP attack, and get a respinse, that's it. If both of you were nice, and respectful that's what you'll get back. Evidently you and NP want everyone you attack to roll onto their back and show their belly. It doesn't work that way among men.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787176 06/08/17 12:57 PM
J
Jgraider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
No personal attacks from my end, just attacking a basic unsafe rifle handling practice.

I noticed you've been banned previously from this forum for a while. What for? Being too nice?

Last edited by Jgraider; 06/08/17 12:59 PM.
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6787194 06/08/17 01:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I Never said otherwise, I just noted today's conditions favored a good bite for you.

Oh, I gotcha.

Well, sorta but not really. With some debate lasts about two posts and the chest-thumping and insults take over.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787199 06/08/17 01:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Some see everything as a personal attack and everyone who doesn't agree with them a personal attacker. It's called insecurity.
Then they lash out with the personal attacks because they can't see the difference.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787233 06/08/17 01:51 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Well, I see this thread is progressing nicely. roflmao

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787244 06/08/17 02:05 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
On our place, I am either the only hunter or one of two, and I know where the other hunter is. I almost never carry binoculars because they add weight, are another thing to keep track of, and if I'm looking at something there's a high probability that I intend to shoot it or evaluate it for a coming shot. None of the blinds I hunt from see enough country to warrant binoculars, or see country where another person would be.

If I were hunting public land, particularly when looking for game at distance, I am sure I would not be using a rifle scope to do so.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787454 06/08/17 05:00 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
This poll is about as useful as the polls that said Trump had no chance of beating Hillary and we seen just how accurate those were roflmao

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6787461 06/08/17 05:06 PM
J
Jgraider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
This poll is about as useful as the polls that said Trump had no chance of beating Hillary and we seen just how accurate those were roflmao

But you have to admit the responses have been very interesting. When humans are involved, the situation will eventually be a total screw up.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787463 06/08/17 05:07 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

But you have to admit the responses have been very interesting. When humans are involved, the situation will eventually be a total screw up.

Yep and I bet more than a few read the comments before they voted and decided to vote yes just to screw the poll up.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787474 06/08/17 05:18 PM
J
Jgraider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Could be who knows? Interesting and enlightening to me is the disregard for elementary gun safety, and justifications for it.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787488 06/08/17 05:36 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Interesting and enlightening to me is how these guys on 24 HCF know they were in someone else rifle sights. Sounds like complete BS to me. You gonna tell me they were walking through the woods and all of a sudden they got chill bumps and looked up in a tree 100 yrs away and some dude was looking at them through a scope? Ive never met anyone in my life that hunts and had that happen but apparently half the guys on that forum have it happen 3-4 times a season.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787510 06/08/17 05:56 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
had it happen to me (being scoped by another hunter) on several occasions in CO and NM on national forest MD/elk hunt. Been sitting on the side of a ravine for hours to see another hunter(s) across the way, 800-1000 yards. I was glassing (with binoculars) looking for any movement below them and see them raise their rifle to take a look at me. They were likely checking to see if I was one in their hunting party and didn't have binoculars.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6787562 06/08/17 06:43 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: bo323
I think some of the problem we are having on this topic is because we four groups. Land owners who lease, land owners hunting their own land, hunters on leases, and hunters on public land. There is no one fits all solution for this. What works one place may not work on the other's place. However we try to shove our solution down another's throat because we believe our way is the only way.

Well I will respectfully disagree with all of that. There is one very simple solution that is meant for everyone, no matter public, private land, no matter if your a lessee or lessor.....never point a loaded weapon at something you do not intend to destroy. It is a very basic safety rule you learn the first five minutes of and hunter safety course. It's also common sense.
what if you intend to destroy/kill it until you spit a broke G3 with your high powered scope?

So a guy on private land behind locked gates with no one else around needs to act just like someone hunting public land? If i was on public land I'd use binoculars for checking out game. However where i hunt there aren't even any cattle, if it moves there's a good chance its a target. I don't automatically put my scope on everything but any movement is watched closely and i have binoculars in the stand. I have used the scope to watch rabbits or birds that i had no intention of shooting because my scope has better glass then my binoculars.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: bo3] #6787575 06/08/17 06:50 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I think some of the problem we are having on this topic is because we four groups. Land owners who lease, land owners hunting their own land, hunters on leases, and hunters on public land. There is no one fits all solution for this. What works one place may not work on the other's place. However we try to shove our solution down another's throat because we believe our way is the only way.

Well I will respectfully disagree with all of that. There is one very simple solution that is meant for everyone, no matter public, private land, no matter if your a lessee or lessor.....never point a loaded weapon at something you do not intend to destroy. It is a very basic safety rule you learn the first five minutes of and hunter safety course. It's also common sense.
what if you intend to destroy/kill it until you spit a broke G3 with your high powered scope?

So a guy on private land behind locked gates with no one else around needs to act just like someone hunting public land? If i was on public land I'd use binoculars for checking out game. However where i hunt there aren't even any cattle, if it moves there's a good chance its a target. I don't automatically put my scope on everything but any movement is watched closely and i have binoculars in the stand. I have used the scope to watch rabbits or birds that i had no intention of shooting because my scope has better glass then my binoculars.
Exactly. If you are trespassing on private property and end up with a gun pointed at you that is not the hunters fault that is your fault for being somewhere you shouldn't be.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787594 06/08/17 07:04 PM
J
Jgraider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
This landowner would disagree with you guys.

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
I have followed this post with dismay. This is a landowners perspective, coming from a guy who leases out A big chunk of low fence private ground in texas, where some of the biggest deer in the region are taken each year. I have been to the banquet in Austin to accept the lonestar land Steward award. (Google it if you don't know what it is). I only shared that personal information so I would not be taken as a crackpot, but a guy that has seen hunters at their best and worst..
For most landowners the hunting is small potatoes in the profitability of our land. We lease it to share the resource with other sportsmen especially the youth who are the future. Usually the monetary goal is to simply cover the property taxes, and it is a general PITA. A landowners number one concern when leasing out the hunting rights is liability. Countless times I have seen hunters engage in unsafe actions and find a way to rationalize what they want to do, to make it ok. In my eyes the experienced hunter shoulders the moral obligation to set the right example for the young and inexperienced. Scanning the woods for game with a scoped rifle is not a safe practice. Come on guys you already know that. Closer evaluation of a game animal is pretty standard stuff. Having a rifle pointed at my son and me, or getting a call that some slack jawed redneck has pointed a rifle at a nearby neighbor, or an experienced hunter has accidentally shot another hunter is bad, and unfortunately part of what a landowner letting hunters on his property deals with. After further investigation the guys always have something to say like "I thought it would be ok if I was careful".
If you can't tell what you are looking at with the naked eye, use binoculars. If it's too far for binoculars use a spotting scope. If you don't have a spotting scope get one, or get close enough to see what you are looking at BY SOME OTHER MEANS THAN POINTING A WEAPON AT IT.
The decisions some upstanding and otherwise reasonable grown men rationalize, in the name of pursuing game at times leaves me shaking my head. Hunters putting at risk the surrounding hunters, the landowners property, family, employees, and neighbors is the kind of thing that cause landowners to cease granting hunting access on their property.
Sorry about the tirade. This thread hit a nerve.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787600 06/08/17 07:10 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
This landowner would disagree with you guys.

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
I have followed this post with dismay. This is a landowners perspective, coming from a guy who leases out A big chunk of low fence private ground in texas, where some of the biggest deer in the region are taken each year. I have been to the banquet in Austin to accept the lonestar land Steward award. (Google it if you don't know what it is). I only shared that personal information so I would not be taken as a crackpot, but a guy that has seen hunters at their best and worst..
For most landowners the hunting is small potatoes in the profitability of our land. We lease it to share the resource with other sportsmen especially the youth who are the future. Usually the monetary goal is to simply cover the property taxes, and it is a general PITA. A landowners number one concern when leasing out the hunting rights is liability. Countless times I have seen hunters engage in unsafe actions and find a way to rationalize what they want to do, to make it ok. In my eyes the experienced hunter shoulders the moral obligation to set the right example for the young and inexperienced. Scanning the woods for game with a scoped rifle is not a safe practice. Come on guys you already know that. Closer evaluation of a game animal is pretty standard stuff. Having a rifle pointed at my son and me, or getting a call that some slack jawed redneck has pointed a rifle at a nearby neighbor, or an experienced hunter has accidentally shot another hunter is bad, and unfortunately part of what a landowner letting hunters on his property deals with. After further investigation the guys always have something to say like "I thought it would be ok if I was careful".
If you can't tell what you are looking at with the naked eye, use binoculars. If it's too far for binoculars use a spotting scope. If you don't have a spotting scope get one, or get close enough to see what you are looking at BY SOME OTHER MEANS THAN POINTING A WEAPON AT IT.
The decisions some upstanding and otherwise reasonable grown men rationalize, in the name of pursuing game at times leaves me shaking my head. Hunters putting at risk the surrounding hunters, the landowners property, family, employees, and neighbors is the kind of thing that cause landowners to cease granting hunting access on their property.
Sorry about the tirade. This thread hit a nerve.
This particular land owner

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787608 06/08/17 07:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't lease my property or let anyone besides family hunt on it. This is just one of about 100 reasons.

In all fairness, I was on several deer leases for over 30 years. All my leasemates were friends (some closer than others). There were always some knuckleheads doing stupid stuff. And very few people will treat your land like it's their own. As in, really, almost no one. They will say they will, but they really don't. Because it's not theirs.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6787618 06/08/17 07:20 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I don't lease my property or let anyone besides family hunt on it. This is just one of about 100 reasons.

In all fairness, I was on several deer leases for over 30 years. All my leasemates were friends (some closer than others). There were always some knuckleheads doing stupid stuff. And very few people will treat your land like it's their own. As in, really, almost no one. They will say they will, but they really don't. Because it's not theirs.
Nope they don't but there are some who leave things better than the way they find it. Atlas thats what I try to do when invited to someones property, I also abide by their rules on their property even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787619 06/08/17 07:23 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Jgraider where did your 10 gun commandments go?

Never shoot at a flat hard surface? People shoot at steel plates every single day.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6787992 06/09/17 01:00 AM
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Does anyone have actual stat's on how many people are accidentally shot by hunters while glassing with their scope? How many MILLION hours of scope viewing has resulting in how many shootings?

This would not include OTHER accidental discharges, or mistaken identity shootings because they would not pertain to this thread even though those numbers are LARGE.

I'm not condoning pointing a rifle at anything other than a target, and yes - human lives are far more than precious, so even one life lost this way is too many. That isn't my point. A quick reminder on the subject would suffice if you are in a campaign for this subject. "Hey, I have a pet peeve. DO NOT use your scope to glass/survey your hunting area."

The excessive amount of time and energy spent on arguing here, could have actually done some real good addressing bigger problems.

Respectfully,
Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide