Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785051 06/06/17 01:59 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Safety police, checking in. Thanks for all of the replies, even if they are much different than mine. Always curious why people believe what they believe.

I posted the exact same question on another forum, and the results were, let's say, quite a contrast to some of them offered here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12074874/1

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: swmays] #6785084 06/06/17 02:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: swmays
I still don't understand the differentiation in night time optics vs day time optics?

This poll "pertains to daytime only" so Mr. High Horse Safety Ranger can talk smack about scanning with a rifle during the day. Night time practices don't fit the message and dilute the smack talk. So, let's not talk about it...

Funny stuff.

In theory it's just as dangerous. Difference in thought process for many is: 1)most night guys don't have a choice and 2)guys that go to the time/expense to invest in night optics are probably more experienced. Finally, there are just not that many that hunt with night optics as a percentage of all hunters. A drop in the bucket really.

Make no mistake though-a night hunter will accidentally shoot a person one night. It will happen because humans are human.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785085 06/06/17 02:27 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
I read your open bolt excuse a page or two ago. It's still a stupid idea, and I wasn't talking about that necessarily, you were. I was stating pointing a loaded weapon at an unknown, or glassing with it, is stupid.

But its ok if its dark. popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: redchevy] #6785091 06/06/17 02:31 PM
J
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I read your open bolt excuse a page or two ago. It's still a stupid idea, and I wasn't talking about that necessarily, you were. I was stating pointing a loaded weapon at an unknown, or glassing with it, is stupid.

But its ok if its dark. popcorn

Evidently to some it is, not me personally. The difference never even crossed my mind until several brought it up.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785122 06/06/17 02:53 PM
H
hermano W Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
The expense of a thermal scanning instrument, the same quality as the rifle thermal scope is why one would feel forced to use the rifle thermal for scanning. Some people probably have no idea what quality thermal costs. I'm in the group that uses his eyes or binoculars for spotting animals, but does view them in the rifle scope to determine whether I'll shoot it or not. A little unsolicited advise to the OP, it would be good for you to learn how to make your point without having to call people STUPID, especially when you miss spelled a simple word like QUESTION in the title of this thread.

Last edited by hermano W; 06/06/17 03:01 PM.
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785142 06/06/17 03:15 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Safety police, checking in. Thanks for all of the replies, even if they are much different than mine. Always curious why people believe what they believe.

I posted the exact same question on another forum, and the results were, let's say, quite a contrast to some of them offered here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12074874/1

The big difference between the two sites is where the majority of participants hunt. The majority of hunters on 24H hunt on public land and the majority of hunters here hunt on private land. There's a huge difference between controlled access on private land and open access where you have to deal with the general public AKA the lowest common denominator.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785150 06/06/17 03:21 PM
J
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I see the public vs private argument as irrelevant.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785197 06/06/17 03:58 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm not suggesting here that public access makes a practice correct or incorrect. I'm merely observing that there's a profound difference in the hunting customs and practices of the two groups.

Last edited by syncerus; 06/06/17 03:59 PM. Reason: clarify

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785253 06/06/17 04:41 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
First, I agree that scanning with your rifle is less than safe. But the price of night visions scanners makes it no less unsafe at night. It is just less convenient so safety is overlooked. That is, if you really truly feel it is unsafe to scan with your rifle.

So, what is the break even price on safe scanning...

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785287 06/06/17 05:29 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I was on my deer lease a few years back and saw some movement about 200 yards in the thicket. I was in my deer stand so I picked up my rifle and checked it out. Turned out it was someone right across the fence from me on a four wheeler. I had never seen anyone there before on that property. Once I figured it out and realized what had happened, it scared the crap out of me thinking of what may have happened. Even though I thought I was being safe with the safety on, putting the cross hairs in the direction on another person will sober you up quick.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785320 06/06/17 05:53 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
How expensive your gear is or is not has nothing to do with knowing what you are going to point the muzzle of your weapon at. Waving a scoped weapon around Willy Nilly is a good way to get thrown off of just about anyones property. Whether it is in town or in the country.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785342 06/06/17 06:15 PM
H
hermano W Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I think all of us agree a bullet will cause irreparable damage, therefore any and all reasonable persons should use extreme precaution about WHERE a firearm is pointed.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: swmays] #6785426 06/06/17 07:24 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: swmays
First, I agree that scanning with your rifle is less than safe. But the price of night visions scanners makes it no less unsafe at night. It is just less convenient so safety is overlooked. That is, if you really truly feel it is unsafe to scan with your rifle.

So, what is the break even price on safe scanning...

What ever you can afford to buy a handheld for. The same use as binos during the day. IMO hunting at night is MORE important than during the day. up

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 06/06/17 07:24 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785449 06/06/17 07:49 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
The question pertained to scanning with the rifle scope. As in you are sitting in a blind, on a ridge, or where ever and instead of scanning with your naked eyes, binos, spotting scope you are scanning with your rifle optic. I don't think that is a good idea at all.

Now if I spot a deer or hog or whatever and I am considering shooting it then I will bring my gun up and get a better look especially if its past 100 yds. Usually I spot the movement first with my naked eye or Binos. This practice I consider safe bc you have identified the object just want a closer look.

I think a lot of the argument is based off of people not understanding the differences I just described.

I will say I use my rifle with NV at night to scan. Im not just walking around scanning though I know where I am and I am positive there are no people around me. Usually sitting on a ridge or in a blind overlooking a feeder.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785727 06/07/17 12:01 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Do so knowing that there is nothing in the field of view that I should not point at and no fingers near the trigger. Always point the barrel in s SAFE direction!!!!!!!

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785879 06/07/17 02:13 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
No, it's not safe and there's really no legitimate reason to do so....buy a pair of binocs!

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6785956 06/07/17 03:49 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
The question pertained to scanning with the rifle scope. As in you are sitting in a blind, on a ridge, or where ever and instead of scanning with your naked eyes, binos, spotting scope you are scanning with your rifle optic. I don't think that is a good idea at all.

Now if I spot a deer or hog or whatever and I am considering shooting it then I will bring my gun up and get a better look especially if its past 100 yds. Usually I spot the movement first with my naked eye or Binos. This practice I consider safe bc you have identified the object just want a closer look.

I think a lot of the argument is based off of people not understanding the differences I just described.

I will say I use my rifle with NV at night to scan. Im not just walking around scanning though I know where I am and I am positive there are no people around me. Usually sitting on a ridge or in a blind overlooking a feeder.

How can you ever be positive there are no people around you. Whether they might be trespassing or lost or looking for a wounded animal I don't quite understand how you know there isn't an illegal walking up from Mexico. Could you explain your system for Knowing someone isn't tracking their radio GPS hunting hound??

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: blackcoal] #6785979 06/07/17 04:22 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

How can you ever be positive there are no people around you. Whether they might be trespassing or lost or looking for a wounded animal I don't quite understand how you know there isn't an illegal walking up from Mexico. Could you explain your system for Knowing someone isn't tracking their radio GPS hunting hound??
I hunt about 6-8 hours from Mexico so no illegals running around, the other place I hunt is a 10K acre lease usually only a couple people there at a time and none really night hunt. Also its is very rugged terrain and people have their specific hunting areas. If your trespassing you should have a gun pointed at you.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: blackcoal] #6785980 06/07/17 04:25 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Have you ever shot a deer? How do you know a trespasser wasn't laying in the prone in some bushes behind the deer? How do you know a kid wasn't lost in the woods directly behind your deer but not in sight? The what ifs can go on forever none of us know everything but we take precautions to limit the chances on any incident

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: SapperTitan] #6785982 06/07/17 04:39 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

I hunt about 6-8 hours from Mexico so no illegals running around, the other place I hunt is a 10K acre lease usually only a couple people there at a time and none really night hunt. Also its is very rugged terrain and people have their specific hunting areas. If your trespassing you should have a gun pointed at you.

We own property in Erath county and there are illegals there and also in Cooke county. I know a person who used to keep three illegals in an old trailer on the outskirts of Weatherford, they went out at night to bathe in a windmill tank. Regarding very rugged terrain, for twenty years I hunted west Texas, Sanderson to Ector and Ward county. A 10K acre lease means squat. Tell me about your rugged terrain. The person you think is trespassing could be the landowner's drunk nephew. And he might be drunk enough to throw down on you. Not to count the drug deals going down in some isolated area.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: blackcoal] #6785984 06/07/17 04:49 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

We own property in Erath county and there are illegals there and also in Cooke county. I know a person who used to keep three illegals in an old trailer on the outskirts of Weatherford, they went out at night to bathe in a windmill tank. Regarding very rugged terrain, for twenty years I hunted west Texas, Sanderson to Ector and Ward county. A 10K acre lease means squat. Tell me about your rugged terrain. The person you think is trespassing could be the landowner's drunk nephew. And he might be drunk enough to throw down on you. Not to count the drug deals going down in some isolated area.

Im not worried about it. If I seen someone through my NV then obviously I'm gonna cease hunting rather they are suppose to be there or not. Im not gonna sit here and waste my time trying to explain why I do what I do and why its safe.

By the way how would this drunk nephew wondering around in a 10K acre pasture of a 160K acre property spot me in the dark when I am using NV? How would these illegals spot me on the side of a ridge? People are the least of my worries when hunting out there. If I was close to a bordering property I might be a little more concerned but where I hunt I'm not and like I said I'm not just wondering around scanning random areas I know the areas and I am very familiar with them.

So you knew someone had illegals and you didn't report it?

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785991 06/07/17 05:38 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Im not gonna sit here and waste my time trying to explain why I do what I do and why its safe.

If you re not going to waste your time why continue with the subject? I can tell your time is important.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: Jgraider] #6785994 06/07/17 05:53 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Sapper has given some good responses, but (as I'm still learning) once you engage in an ignorant thread it is only going to end up more ignorant most of the time. Sapper is not ignorant, nor am I or many others on here. Some of us have been hunting safely for a long time and find it strange that there is this new phenomenon of safety that we didn't already know bout. Soooooo, you see your target through your top dollar binos..positively identify, put them down, pick up your rifle and probably then chamber a round because you have little to no real hunting experience outside of internet forums & TV and are most likely scared of the rifle anyway and don't understand the concept of being quiet and quick....so you then carefully slide your rifle out of the window of your blind and pray that there are no innocents in or behind your field of view. You want to make the shot but you are so nervous about what your wife thinks there is no WAY you are going to make a quick and humane kill...so you get the shakes and shoot for lungs. When you don't find your animal, you blame the rifle/bullet/scope/weather/whatever. I've seen it many times and is typical. On private land where you know your surroundings of course you scan with your scope when you need to. How many of you have been stalking/rattling deer during the rut covering good sized areas? You do a lot of looking with your rifle on the ready at your shoulders, while your partner is calling. Guess we're stupid and are gonna shoot somebody. Good lord man.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: skinnerback] #6785995 06/07/17 06:13 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Sapper has given some good responses, but (as I'm still learning) once you engage in an ignorant thread it is only going to end up more ignorant most of the time. Sapper is not ignorant, nor am I or many others on here. Some of us have been hunting safely for a long time and find it strange that there is this new phenomenon of safety that we didn't already know bout. Soooooo, you see your target through your top dollar binos..positively identify, put them down, pick up your rifle and probably then chamber a round because you have little to no real hunting experience outside of internet forums & TV and are most likely scared of the rifle anyway and don't understand the concept of being quiet and quick....so you then carefully slide your rifle out of the window of your blind and pray that there are no innocents in or behind your field of view. You want to make the shot but you are so nervous about what your wife thinks there is no WAY you are going to make a quick and humane kill...so you get the shakes and shoot for lungs. When you don't find your animal, you blame the rifle/bullet/scope/weather/whatever. I've seen it many times and is typical. On private land where you know your surroundings of course you scan with your scope when you need to. How many of you have been stalking/rattling deer during the rut covering good sized areas? You do a lot of looking with your rifle on the ready at your shoulders, while your partner is calling. Guess we're stupid and are gonna shoot somebody. Good lord man.
flehan

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Rifle/Hunting Safety Qeustion [Re: TexFlip] #6786040 06/07/17 11:58 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
flehan

Exactly.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide