Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Your opinion.

I've spent big money on high quality rifle scopes, so I use the highest quality glass I have available.

It's common sense, unsafe, and I'll throw in inarguable to "glass" with a riflescope on a loaded rifle. Doesn't matter how much your scope costs, it's an aiming device, not a game spotting device, period.

I've got plenty of common sense, it's as safe as a person makes it, and in my case it's with an open bolt. A rifle cannot fire with an open bolt.

And here's another piece of news for you. You do not dictate how I do things.

No, but you sure try your best to dictate how others do things. And it's clear from your posts that you have not learned the differences between shooting at the range and hunting.

No one with any experience in the field hunts with the bolt open on their rifle. No one with any experience in the field uses their riflescope to locate game. Do yourself a favor, buy you a pair of binoculars, and see what you have been missing. Really. Your hard-headedness on this subject is mystifying.

It's apparent a lot of young guys look up to you. And that you have a lot to teach them about shooting, ballistics, and such. But, as Clint said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." I don't post to start arguments with you. I don't argue ballistics and dialing, MOA/mils, FFP vs. SFP on optics, wind, and any number of shooting subjects.

I post because bad advice is bad advice. Using your riflescope to locate game and hunting with your rifle bolt open is bad advice.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6785151 06/06/17 03:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Get it through you thick head, I don't give a crap what you think. Not unlike a long list of other THF members. You and JGraider, accusing me of not knowing anything about hunting is just plain stupid. I might not spend big money on exotic hints, but I hunt all year long. I've got a freezer so full of version that I give lots away to my family. And there's coyote and hog skeletons all over the place on my land, and within two miles of it. Because all my neighbors give me free reign on their land, because they know I'm helping and I will never do anything to cause any harm to their property. Unlike what you think, they know I am an honorable man, because I was raised to be that way. So take your typical judgmental, know-it-all opinion and shove it where the sun don't shine.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: J.G.] #6785163 06/06/17 03:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Get it through you thick head, I don't give a crap what you think. Not unlike a long list of other THF members. You and JGraider, accusing me of not knowing anything about hunting is just plain stupid. I might not spend big money on exotic hints, but I hunt all year long. I've got a freezer so full of version that I give lots away to my family. And there's coyote and hog skeletons all over the place on my land, and within two miles of it. Because all my neighbors give me free reign on their land, because they know I'm helping and I will never do anything to cause any harm to their property. Unlike what you think, they know I am an honorable man, because I was raised to be that way. So take your typical judgmental, know-it-all opinion and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Always comes down to chest beating with you.

If you're gonna keep that bolt open while hunting, I would go ahead and remove it, put it in a baggie, and keep in your pocket. Like Barney Fife. At least the bolt face would stay clean that way. smile

P.S. I've never hunted exotic game.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: J.G.] #6785177 06/06/17 03:38 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Big deal. You "hunt" without owning a pair of binocs. That puts you in the neophyte category, or at the very least "not knowing what you do not know". I guess you "glass" for game with a 15lb rifle scope equipped rifle and/or rangefinder.....classic. How long can you "glass" for game with a 15lb setup like that?

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Jgraider] #6785186 06/06/17 03:51 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Most of my glassing is with an 8X Swarovski Laser Guide. Swaro glass, is Swaro glass. It's one eye, but it works. If I need to see more detail, I use the rifle scope. That laser guide lives in my truck, beside a rifle, every day I'm off duty. NP knows this, accepted it once upon a time, then used it as a jab several times since. Because it's not the way he does it. It's not the way you do it either, so it's wrong.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6785188 06/06/17 03:52 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
NP, you're failing to accept that I shoot every week. Closing the bolt, and getting off a shot happens fast. That happens when a person practices something all the time.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: J.G.] #6785194 06/06/17 03:57 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Most of my glassing is with an 8X Swarovski Laser Guide. Swaro glass, is Swaro glass. It's one eye, but it works. If I need to see more detail, I use the rifle scope. That laser guide lives in my truck, beside a rifle, every day I'm off duty. NP knows this, accepted it once upon a time, then used it as a jab several times since. Because it's not the way he does it. It's not the way you do it either, so it's wrong.

Laffin.......

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Jgraider] #6785202 06/06/17 04:01 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You and NP are a waste of time. Done with ya.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: J.G.] #6785227 06/06/17 04:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
NP, you're failing to accept that I shoot every week. Closing the bolt, and getting off a shot happens fast. That happens when a person practices something all the time.

Ever had anything hear that bolt slam shut and spook? Or are you like they said about Jackie Robinson - so fast that he could flip the light switch and be under the covers before it got dark?

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: J.G.] #6785236 06/06/17 04:23 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You and NP are a waste of time. Done with ya.

See if these guys are a waste of time there Sparky....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...question#UNREAD

Oh, these are way better than using a $1000 monocular and $2000 scope for glassing...and they're cheap!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/leupold-binoculars%7C/pc/105625080/c/265646880/leupold-bx-mojave-binoculars/1664888.uts

Last edited by Jgraider; 06/06/17 04:29 PM.
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Jgraider] #6790537 06/12/17 02:18 AM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Your opinion.

I've spent big money on high quality rifle scopes, so I use the highest quality glass I have available.

It's common sense, unsafe, and I'll throw in inarguable to "glass" with a riflescope on a loaded rifle. Doesn't matter how much your scope costs, it's an aiming device, not a game spotting device, period.

I think every situation is different. Where I hunt, I cannot see a deer until it steps out in the right of way. Can't see over 300 yds. 1 way, 150 the other way. When they come out, very seldom do they come out and stand around and gawk. They can cover the 40-45 ft. right of way in a hurry. If one looks through a spotting scope, his opportunity is gone. I have been hunting that way for 40 yrs. or more. If, where you hunt, the deer come out and give you lots of time to stare him down, good. Some of us don't have that option.

Let me add, that I don't use my scope to "look" for deer. But I do use it to judge an animal that comes out for the reason stated above...lack of time to use binos or spotting scope. When I first started reading this, I thought that using the scope was for judging an animal as well. Sorry if I was wrong.

Last edited by Preacher Ed; 06/12/17 02:25 AM. Reason: added for clarification
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: hookemhorns] #6790546 06/12/17 02:32 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: hookemhorns
800-100 yards. I have a swfa he 5x20x50 mil scope

I spent na lot of time behind really good, good kind of good and terrible glass.

You're distance is really not that far. I can score a buck pretty damn good at 800 with 15x bino's.

If I was you I'd look at the vortex razor 11-33x-50 spotter or a mid grade 15x bino. Couple hundred more then your budget but will have more usability. The budget glass struggles at magnification about 10x, just a part of it.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Preacher Ed] #6790547 06/12/17 02:33 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Sometimes they do......

[img:left][/img]

Sometimes they don't....... grin

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6790554 06/12/17 02:43 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I spent na lot of time behind really good, good kind of good and terrible glass.

You're distance is really not that far. I can score a buck pretty damn good at 800 with 15x bino's.

If I was you I'd look at the vortex razor 11-33x-50 spotter or a mid grade 15x bino. Couple hundred more then your budget but will have more usability. The budget glass struggles at magnification about 10x, just a part of it.

Agreed. 15x56's on a tripod are unbelievable effective, and you can glass for hours. Sometimes it is amazing what you can find. This was through my buddy's Zeiss 85T FL spotter, at app 3/4 of a mile.

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: hookemhorns] #6790563 06/12/17 02:53 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
For the record, I utilized a leupold RX-100I-tbr for glassing out of a stand this weekend and it worked out nice since shot was 100 yards roughly. I picked my doe with the scope though since I could see and measure better that way. She is in the freezer right now FWIW.

[Linked Image]
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Jgraider] #6790565 06/12/17 02:53 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Agreed. 15x56's on a tripod are unbelievable effective, and you can glass for hours. Sometimes it is amazing what you can find. This was through my buddy's Zeiss 85T FL spotter, at app 3/4 of a mile.

Tripods with a good head are the key. Even with 10x it's a whole new level. I use to set up spotter then glass of my knees with binos until I wanted different look. Now spotter hardly comes out unless I'm in Stx, even then I run 11x binos. . Not having my binos on tripod has caused a few deer to get over looked in the big country.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Bee'z] #6790569 06/12/17 02:55 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
For the record, I utilized a leupold RX-100I-tbr for glassing out of a stand this weekend and it worked out nice since shot was 100 yards roughly. I picked my doe with the scope though since I could see and measure better that way. She is in the freezer right now FWIW.

Try doing that for two hours and see how that works out.

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: hookemhorns] #6790572 06/12/17 02:56 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Bobo, what 15's have you used that you like the best?

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: hookemhorns] #6790573 06/12/17 02:56 AM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I don't even want to hunt around someone that uses their rifle scope for spotting game. Not only is this dangerous, but it is impractical. All equipment has its function. Use each for its purpose. Just my opinion.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6790577 06/12/17 03:04 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Ever had anything hear that bolt slam shut and spook? Or are you like they said about Jackie Robinson - so fast that he could flip the light switch and be under the covers before it got dark?

Ironically I just watched Randy Newberg load right before he shot in four episodes....
You even stated you load before you shoot sometimes.

Fact you keep focusing on this really shows the mental midget level of comprehension that you have. You want to question his spotting preferences due to safety, cool but mocking his cleared gun choice clearly shows you are here just to troll. It clearly contradicts your safety agruement.

Go to another forum and go pass down some good guide names or something, it's very clear now that you aren't here to help others, you wouldn't contradict your safety speach if that's the case.

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Jgraider] #6790586 06/12/17 03:14 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Bobo, what 15's have you used that you like the best?

Swaro slc is top dog, I thought the Lecia's weren't far behind and if you wanted a combo lazer unit, I think it's better money spent over all.

The new Maven's beat out vortex Kaibabs to me but I like Kaibabs ergonomics a touch better.

The two that I would like to try are the new Luppy's and Vortex viper HD, just due to price points.

I picked up and played with the Zeiss conquest HD but haven't spent any time behind them. Really seemed heavy for what they were.

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: hookemhorns] #6790690 06/12/17 11:48 AM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Swaro slc are bada$#. Lieca binos are too but if they are lrf combo the glass doesn't seem to be as good although still nice.

Was around 3 razor spotters and none were equal. One was noticeably better but the other two were very disappointing as was the new gen 2 version. I've noticed on the razor line of scopes that glass quality is all over the place. I'm not saying any were bad but just noticeably different.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: hookemhorns] #6790758 06/12/17 01:18 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Haven't tried the SLC HD's, but did spend alot of time last year with the SLCneu version. It was very nice. I got to take a look at the new Leupy Santiam, but only inside a building (DSC). Very sharp, but need to get them outside. They are interesting though. Another I have my eye on is the new Meopta 15x56 Meostar HD. I've never been much of a Vortex fan, for the same reasons dee mentioned.

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: Jgraider] #6790851 06/12/17 02:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Haven't tried the SLC HD's, but did spend alot of time last year with the SLCneu version. It was very nice. I got to take a look at the new Leupy Santiam, but only inside a building (DSC). Very sharp, but need to get them outside. They are interesting though. Another I have my eye on is the new Meopta 15x56 Meostar HD. I've never been much of a Vortex fan, for the same reasons dee mentioned.

I've used all three of the razors. Currently own the 50mm. Had 65 and sold it.

I used the Maven 80 last year glassing up rams in Idaho at the trail head. It was good glass. Too heavy but really good glass for price. I'll pick up a 65 when they release it.

Think Vortex is starting to out run their price point. Think they have gotten to big for the prime outsourcer mfg's capacity, thus quality is all over the place.

Meotpa is one I don't have a ton of experience with. I cant see them producing anything bad, I just never really messed with them because main distribution was cabelas for last gets time, and they are strict on map pricing.

Re: Spotting scope on budget [Re: hookemhorns] #6790980 06/12/17 04:25 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I have special G&O (guide and outfitter) pricing with Meopta, Leupy, and Swaro. Meopta makes fantastic stuff, optics among the best with build quality better than most everybody. In fact, in the recent past they made the Zeiss 85T FL spotters, and the 65mm version too. It even said "Made in Czech" on the box. They also make the Nightforce HD spotter now, as well as the Cabelas. I'm sure you're aware that they also made the original Conquest riflescopes for Zeiss.

When Vortex shifted production of the Razor spotters to China I became even less interested. IIRC, they assemble them now in the USA, but parts come from China still. Lots of their stuff is Chinese, and I'm not a fan. The Razor HD binos are nice, but the Tract Toric UHD are just as nice for almost half the cost.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide