Print Thread
Climbing Stands Advice #6781098 06/01/17 07:52 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T

I’m looking into getting one for next year, I like the idea of becoming a more mobile hunter, for both bow and rifle.

I have only used one once before and was hoping yall could give me some advice on brands, what to look for in a climber, cons, any advice would help and also accessories. Accessories for example how are you hanging your bow and rifle do you use mounts attached to the stand? I can’t screw an arm into a tree every morning what the best way for that? And do they make rifle rest for the stands? So really anything you have found to be a must have or have found really useful, tips like that.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781135 06/01/17 08:42 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Can't help you on brands since I build my own. Those old gun racks that you could put in the back window of your truck, I cut those into and welded one on each corner which holds my gun when gun hunting. Bow hunting, I just use a bow hanger that screws into the tree. Anything else, I hang it on the back of the upper stand.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781137 06/01/17 08:42 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I use an Ole Man Vision and I really like it. It's made of steel, so it's kinda heavy though but it's very sturdy. I'm a fairly big man so I don't have a problem carrying it. If you want be really mobile, I'd recommend one of the stands made from aluminium. I don't really use a rifle rest out of my climber, too cumbersome. A lot of the stands, including mine, have a built in shooting rail. The rail never seems to be at the right height at the moment of truth so I just shoot offhand a lot. It's not hard if you practice and keep the range short.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781147 06/01/17 08:52 PM
duckhunter175 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
How far are you normally walking in to hunt and how comfortable do you want to be? And whats your budget??

I spent the last few years chasing whitetails all over KY and used climbers exclusively.

1. Summit Viper-- The gold standard for combination of price, quality and comfortability. They are not extra light or very compact but if you are only walking in 1/4-3/4 mile to your stand they do just fine. Very secure and easy to use.

2. Lone Wolf Sit and Climb II (Wide)-- $$$ but worth every penny if you are humping back into the sticks this is the stand to do it. Very ergonomic for carry, which makes it feel nice and light. It is very secure and easy to climb with. The seat isn't as comfortable as a Viper but you can still make all day sits. I would recommend getting an additional XL belt (it comes with 1 L and 1 XL) so you attach the stand to the widest trees you might encounter.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781186 06/01/17 09:31 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Where are you hunting? We don't have any trees straight/clean enough to even think about using a climber.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: duckhunter175] #6781201 06/01/17 09:43 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: duckhunter175
How far are you normally walking in to hunt and how comfortable do you want to be? And whats your budget??

I spent the last few years chasing whitetails all over KY and used climbers exclusively.

1. Summit Viper-- The gold standard for combination of price, quality and comfortability. They are not extra light or very compact but if you are only walking in 1/4-3/4 mile to your stand they do just fine. Very secure and easy to use.

2. Lone Wolf Sit and Climb II (Wide)-- $$$ but worth every penny if you are humping back into the sticks this is the stand to do it. Very ergonomic for carry, which makes it feel nice and light. It is very secure and easy to climb with. The seat isn't as comfortable as a Viper but you can still make all day sits. I would recommend getting an additional XL belt (it comes with 1 L and 1 XL) so you attach the stand to the widest trees you might encounter.

This.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781227 06/01/17 10:06 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T

Looks like the walk will be 1-2 miles, Comfort I would really like but trust me I have never had a comfortable stand to begin with but that kind of plays in the third part $$$. I would rather pay more for this kind of stand since by reading a lot of reviews you get what you pay for so let’s say there is no budget

I hunt out in East Texas, I have done some scouting to make sure these areas I want to sneak into have good trees to set up in and so far looks real good. A good number of pines everywhere not sure if that is the best tree for climbers but tons of those, but on top of that I am trying to find at least 1 good hardwood in each area as my go to tree.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781261 06/01/17 10:40 PM
duckhunter175 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Pines will work fine, and with a good hooyman saw you can get up into lots of hardwoods as well. Definitely get the 'wide' option, it'll give you a bit more wiggle room.

I use one extra bungee to strap my daypack to the stand.

After a couple good practice sessions in the backyard you can go from walking in to up your tree quickly and quietly.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781276 06/01/17 10:59 PM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
You need to go look at them, you can add extra net seats and stuff. Comfort (for you) should be up front because most are light these days. You'll need caffeine pills because you'll be falling asleep. You'll also need to find a harness that you can live with.

I might suggest one of them unbrella setups to block the sun.

I just screw in some hooks for my crap, and one for my harness rope. I usually leave my rope around the tree up top resting on a hook for a few days at a time and the climber at the bottom of the tree after I decend. It takes about 7 seconds to screw a small hook into the tree. I throw a bunch of hooks in my front pocket with plastic drywall anchors screwed on the end so they don't poke me.

I even have a hook for my climber cable to rest on. And for God's sake, make sure your bottom is strapped to the top and your pins always go in from top to bottom.

If you leave the climber hanging, push it up off the ground because critters love those darn nylon straps and such.

I find it easier to leave a stand in a good spot at risk of it getting stolen on public land which has never happened so its nice to get a couple. Gives you some options for different wind or conditions. Spend your money on the one you want very portable and get some used ones for leaving hung.

I usually set my weapon in the seat propped up against the frame with those bendable rubber wire tie things holding it in place. Another words, my weapon climbs with me, I don't pull it up. I hang all my crap to the frame to assend then detach.

Remember, unless you bang the frame, you litterly sound like a squirrel shinnying up the tree from a few yards off. So just get up there and get setup.

I'm up the tree and setup pretty quick. You'll find what works for you.

Last edited by Treinta-Treinta; 06/01/17 11:28 PM.
Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781460 06/02/17 01:39 AM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I love my API bowhunter it's comfortable. I just use those cheap single screw in hooks.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781570 06/02/17 03:30 AM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I am originally from NW Arkansas, and have used climbing stands for the last 30 years. My current stand is a Summit Goliath, as I really like the extra room. Some guys like other brands, but Summit stands have always been the most comfortable for me. I have spent many daylight-to-dark days in mine. I would recommend practicing your climbing technique before attempting it at dark-thirty. I always use a pull up rope for my weapons and gear. Highly recommend a safety harness, as falls from tree stands consistently ranks at the top of the list of fatal hunting accidents. I take a couple of screw-in bow/gun hangers for my weapon and pack. Good luck and be careful out there!

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781712 06/02/17 12:59 PM
D
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Summit Viper....can't beat it. its not too heavy and very easy to operate. Take your time getting up and out of trees for safety but once you get use to it. Man, I'm telling you I can climb up a tree and attach my harness and lift my bow up in all about 3 minutes moving quietly.

Last edited by DPirates80; 06/02/17 01:01 PM.
Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6781857 06/02/17 03:39 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TxHunter87

Looks like the walk will be 1-2 miles, Comfort I would really like but trust me I have never had a comfortable stand to begin with but that kind of plays in the third part $$$. I would rather pay more for this kind of stand since by reading a lot of reviews you get what you pay for so let’s say there is no budget

I hunt out in East Texas, I have done some scouting to make sure these areas I want to sneak into have good trees to set up in and so far looks real good. A good number of pines everywhere not sure if that is the best tree for climbers but tons of those, but on top of that I am trying to find at least 1 good hardwood in each area as my go to tree.
I hunt E. Tx. as well. The best tree I have found for a climber, especially my climber is a sweet gum. Pines are real good too, till they drip sap all over it. Nothing I hate worse than to start up or down and get my hand all sticky!!! Next tree is any rough bark oak. Stay away from slick bark like pin oak and hickory. Next thing to consider is comfort and the quietness of the stand. I've seen some that pop and make all kinds of noise while climbing.

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6783660 06/04/17 11:50 PM
F
FeetDown Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Been hunting out of a climber for 10 years now. Some tips:

1) Angle your platform up slightly (about 30 degrees) when attaching it at the base of the tree - it will level out by the time you reach hunting height. Most trees taper (get skinnier) as you go up. Level platform = happy hunter, unlevel platform = uncomfortable and hard to shoot from.

2) Get some of these - you can't wear a backpack with a climber on your back, and they keep your gear within easy reach. Alternatively, get a fanny pack as you can wear it on the front of your waist where it does not interfere with climber on your back. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...-bags?a=1342956

3) For longer hikes in, don't put on your harness and jacket until you get to your stand in order to avoid sweating. I like to lay my jacket on the ground (open), ball up my harness, lay it in jacket, zip up jacket around it, and tie arms of jacket to stand cables and let it all rest on the top of the stand.

4) Keep your bow or gun in your lap. I've had several situations where if I had to reach for my weapon I would have either been busted or wouldn't have been ready in time. Instead those deer ended up the freezer up

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6785477 06/06/17 08:17 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Thanks for yalls help!

I plan on getting the climber early so i can do some practice with all the gear i am hoping to use while in the stand

I got one more question if yall do not mind helping me out some more. Can i leave the climber out attached to the tree for extended periods of time? i might be able to get my hands on 2 climbers for the 2 spots i would like to sneak into, instead of bring them in and out of the area can i just leave it on the tree through out the season or do i need to take them down every time?

Re: Climbing Stands Advice [Re: TxHunter87] #6785611 06/06/17 10:09 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have a couple climbers that have been on the same tree for years. Now, if you are planning to hunt public ground, that is just asking for somebody to take it. If on private land, yeah you can leave them on the tree.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide