Forums46
Topics543,230
Posts9,795,990
Members87,446
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cut my finger -WARNING- GRAPHIC! [Re: Nathan at Fork] #6780312 06/01/17 01:13 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ok couple things, coming from a doctor here:

1. Make sure your tetanus is up to date. It's real and can kill you

2. A cut over a knuckle like that should be a visit to a real doctor, if you opened the joint cavity you can get a nasty infection in the joint and effectively lose the finger.

3. Look up tenosynovitis...it happens and can be finger and or hand threatening. Watch for swelling and if it gets thick then go see someone qualified.

4. When you do (or instruct someone to do) sutures, the edges of the wound should end up slightly everted. The skin contracts as it heals and this will allow for a clean closure. With the edges slightly inverted as they are, you will end up with a dimple and possibly tight skin over the joint.

5. In a high stress area like a joint, you want sutures a little closer together to prevent the wound from opening as soon as you take the sutures out. In a non-stress area they can be that far apart, but the spaces in between the sutures will be weak and need extra time to heal before full use. Uperglue would not be a help here, and staples are not good unless the skin is really thick or there is a good layer of fat under the thinner skin to keep the tissue closed.

6. Be ready for some long rehab on that finger once the skin heals. Not saying you have to do professional rehab but just working out the stiffness will take some time.

7. I am all for someone suturing themself to prevent a doc visit, but this is one I would have recommended a doc visit for given the joint involvement.

Re: Cut my finger -WARNING- GRAPHIC! [Re: Nathan at Fork] #6780364 06/01/17 02:04 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Thanks for the info. I was at 7 years on my tetanus but went ahead and got the booster today. I was at the VA hospital today for an apt so stopped by the ER there and had them look at it just in case. The Nurse practitioner I saw kind of reamed me out about not going to the hospital when it happened and fixing it myself. She said with where it was, they wouldn't even have sutured it, they would have sent me to plastic surgery to have it checked and fixed. They xrayed it to make sure nothing was in the wound and that the bone wasn't lacerated. They gave me a 7 day course of Keflex antibiotics and a cream to put on it daily. It hasn't been hurting too bad today and is just a little swollen. With how deep it was and on the knuckle, I should have went and had it fixed, but, I just really didn't want to, lol.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cut my finger -WARNING- GRAPHIC! [Re: Nathan at Fork] #6780411 06/01/17 02:44 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Keflex is a good antibiotic but doesn't cover the gram negatives too well, so still keep an eye on it...if it starts to look like a mini sausage, better get it looked at.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 06/01/17 02:44 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide