Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Navasot] #6668619 02/09/17 10:33 PM
C
colt45-90 Online Content
Texas colt45
Online Content
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Nothing wrong with him asking... nothing wrong with the boss saying that's not his info to share imo.... but most will.. so why not ask
this

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: jshouse] #6668722 02/09/17 11:46 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
I read through the response noses and thought about it some more. I can mostly see both sides, but I find myself falling on the side of those that don't understand the reason why you should or would be okay with this or with the LO or ranch manager giving it up without your permission.

My biggest qualm is, why does the warden need your address? Name and cell phone, okay, maybe he wants it on hand in case something does come up, like needing to access the property for some reason and not wanting to ruin a hunt, or because there was a theft there and might need to get in touch with guys on the lease.

But my home address, most likely in another county? That definitely makes it seem like a fishing expedition, and I'm not okay with that.

No problems with game wardens and I respect their job and how hard it can be, but that seems unnecessary and would make me uncomfortable. If he showed up at camp, introduced himself and asked ME for it, I might give him my name and number, depending on the reason, but not my home address just for him to ave on file.

That seems really odd.

if he was really fishing and really wanted your address all he needs is a vehicle LP or even just your name in most cases, 2 minutes on his computer and he would have it. IMO he was just trying to figure out who all should be on the property.

Originally Posted By: Old Rabbit
I know my local game wardens and have their phone numbers programed into my phone.
That said I would be sending a certified letter to Austin asking for the reason this happened and what they planned to do about it. I don't like people I do business with giving out my personal information.

If there actually was a need for this information then I might change my mind about it.

a certified letter? really? like someone said above, why not just call HIM and ask him why he wanted the info?

threads like this remind me every time at the amount of time and energy some people will spend just to get themselves riled up.

crimes get solved and criminals get caught every day by LEO's asking simple questions, often DUMB questions, because they have the right to do it.

I understand there are several ways for him to get my address, one being that it's printed on my licenses (hunting and drivers). License plate is another.

Bottom line: I can't think of great reason for him to go about it this way (get my home address behind my back) and I'd appreciate if he asked me directly, rather than go through the land owner and, apparently, not provide a reason for the request.

I do agree with you that the OP should call the GW himself. Maybe the GW gives him the reason, or at least one that makes sense to the OP and he will provide it.

If the LO just gave the names of each hunter the GW would have what he needed for whatever he needs them for. Might take a little extra work, but he would have the names. It would go a long way to make the calls himself to each hunter, or show up when they're there and make an introduction and explain the situation.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Sneaky] #6668726 02/09/17 11:48 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: z71dustin
I would have no problem giving them that information.

The way this thread is going it sure looks like a few folks are guilty or planning to be.

Why does exercising one's rights have to be an expression of guilt?

Nailed it. It's fine to ask and fine to refuse.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: jshouse] #6668744 02/09/17 11:59 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted By: jshouse
I read through the response noses and thought about it some more. I can mostly see both sides, but I find myself falling on the side of those that don't understand the reason why you should or would be okay with this or with the LO or ranch manager giving it up without your permission.

My biggest qualm is, why does the warden need your address? Name and cell phone, okay, maybe he wants it on hand in case something does come up, like needing to access the property for some reason and not wanting to ruin a hunt, or because there was a theft there and might need to get in touch with guys on the lease.

But my home address, most likely in another county? That definitely makes it seem like a fishing expedition, and I'm not okay with that.

No problems with game wardens and I respect their job and how hard it can be, but that seems unnecessary and would make me uncomfortable. If he showed up at camp, introduced himself and asked ME for it, I might give him my name and number, depending on the reason, but not my home address just for him to ave on file.

That seems really odd.

if he was really fishing and really wanted your address all he needs is a vehicle LP or even just your name in most cases, 2 minutes on his computer and he would have it. IMO he was just trying to figure out who all should be on the property.

Originally Posted By: Old Rabbit
I know my local game wardens and have their phone numbers programed into my phone.
That said I would be sending a certified letter to Austin asking for the reason this happened and what they planned to do about it. I don't like people I do business with giving out my personal information.

If there actually was a need for this information then I might change my mind about it.

a certified letter? really? like someone said above, why not just call HIM and ask him why he wanted the info?

threads like this remind me every time at the amount of time and energy some people will spend just to get themselves riled up.

crimes get solved and criminals get caught every day by LEO's asking simple questions, often DUMB questions, because they have the right to do it.

jshouse, like I said I have the game wardens phone numbers in my cell phone and have called then to report several instances that they have asked help for. I would be wondering why they would not ask me for my information directly as we talk several times per season.
As for the certified letter it was to clear up an interpretation of a new rule that they said they would read it the way they wanted instead of the way it was written. I called Austin for clarification and talked with 2 different people that could not agree on what it said. They were the ones that asked me to send the letter as that was the only way to be sure and get a written response. The letter was hand delivered by the lead game warden to me, he is retired now and we still are good friends.
Not being an a$$ just doing as I was asked.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668869 02/10/17 01:12 AM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Game wardens are "State Police"....thats on all their new trucks. That kinda puzzles me.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668882 02/10/17 01:30 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Dang, of all the folks to not worry about, to me the Game Wardens that I know are the ones.

I'll give them whatever they want or need. Nothing to hide.

I think they can get the information requested from the person that has the hunting lease license anyway.... either the LO or the Lease manager...

I think yall are over thinking this...

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #6668894 02/10/17 01:37 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Dang, of all the folks to not worry about, to me the Game Wardens that I know are the ones.

I'll give them whatever they want or need. Nothing to hide.

I think they can get the information requested from the person that has the hunting lease license anyway.... either the LO or the Lease manager...

I think yall are over thinking this...

We do have a paranoid bunch here.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668975 02/10/17 02:31 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
And many who are very naive.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6668995 02/10/17 02:42 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: z71dustin
I would have no problem giving them that information.

The way this thread is going it sure looks like a few folks are guilty or planning to be.

Why does exercising one's rights have to be an expression of guilt?

Nailed it. It's fine to ask and fine to refuse.

Yup

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6669009 02/10/17 02:55 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
If you want to give up the info, go for it. I don't see anything wrong with it. I also don't see anything wrong with refusing to do so when it's our right. I fail to see how that makes anyone paranoid.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: majekman] #6669048 02/10/17 03:28 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: majekman
Game wardens are "State Police"....thats on all their new trucks. That kinda puzzles me.

You think the bold print would give it away but where do you need help with that?

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6669129 02/10/17 05:12 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
And many who are very naive.

roflmao

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Navasot] #6669207 02/10/17 12:39 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M

You think the bold print would give it away but where do you need help with that?

roflmao....thanks Nav, as an old fart I need all help I can get. rolleyes
Seriously.....just was wondering why all these years the "bold print" on their trucks simply stated Game Warden and now it's State Police.
More PCness im guessing

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6669215 02/10/17 12:50 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Since a License is required by the state to lease property for hunting, it would also seem the right of the state to know who is hunting under that license. Is it required of the land owner to give the ID of those hunting the property under that license? Is there a statute in the law that covers this?

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: majekman] #6669278 02/10/17 02:00 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Seriously.....just was wondering why all these years the "bold print" on their trucks simply stated Game Warden and now it's State Police.
More PCness im guessing

Because many folks have been under the impression that a game warden does not have the legal authority to perform regular law enforcement tasks.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6669303 02/10/17 02:22 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Interesting topic.

It's my understanding (I've been wrong before) that Game Wardens have quite a bit of authority. My BIL, who used to be a State Trooper (many years ago) says they can inspect your vehicle without a warrant (although supposedly only to look for game law violations) and come onto your property past your locked gate.

I haven't met the warden in Lee County yet, but I have called a few times to let him know we were hunting hogs at night. He never came out, and honestly there are gunshots in the area so frequently at night that he couldn't possibly check them all out. I don't bother to call any more.

Others in the area who know the local warden say he's a nice guy. If he wanted my personal info I'd show him my hunting and driver's licenses. If he asked for info on others, I'd probably say I was reluctant to give out personal info on someone else, although I'd freely supply a list of names of who was on the lease (I'm a friend of the LO, and semi-official land manager). I don't think I'd give out more detail without understanding why it was wanted and how it would be used, but if the warden had a good story I'd cooperate. I'd certainly be polite regardless of anything else.
--

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: majekman] #6669338 02/10/17 02:50 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

More PCness im guessing

grin bout what I think make folks recognize

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: HWY_MAN] #6669519 02/10/17 05:17 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Since a License is required by the state to lease property for hunting, it would also seem the right of the state to know who is hunting under that license. Is it required of the land owner to give the ID of those hunting the property under that license? Is there a statute in the law that covers this?

The lease license is for the landowner only. No one should be handing out personal info (on others) to LEO's, and no one is required to.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6670039 02/11/17 01:13 AM
B
billyhunt Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
And the state wonders why the sale of hunting and fishing licenses goes down every year. HMMM?

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6670078 02/11/17 01:42 AM
R
reed35 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
talking with GW would be good, IMO

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6670117 02/11/17 02:27 AM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Met a couple that were were real jerks, acted pizzed everyone and everything was on the up and up, and a couple real gentlemen. Had one come on the lease and never checked anyone's license or ice chest. He just asked if anyone had any luck, only one fellow out of 6 got anything. It was a javelina. All he was interested in was talking arrowhead hunting.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6670445 02/11/17 08:25 AM
P
Pike1861 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
It is my understanding that any lease holder that is sub-leasing must have a hunting lease license. The cost of this license is based on the acreage. The GW will probably check they have a lease license.

There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. We are a nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities. Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6670446 02/11/17 08:29 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Every GW I have met was great. I met the one you are talking about in Stephens this year. Something was up and that is why he asked for that info. Probably just to eliminate them as possible suspects if he saw them to whatever it was or the neighbor claimed they saw something happened. My friend has property there for a long time and they have never stepped foot on it. We got a dove field there elsewhere and he was very professional and by the book. Can he see folks of the road? If so, he might not want to check them multiple times if he knows they are good to go and can tell who is there by their vehicles. Where I hunt, never seen a GW in 13 years. It would be a mile walk if he did show up to camp. He might get a hotdog.

As far as tresspassing, that is up to the landowner to deal with. It is not up to the GW to figure out who should be on the property unless the LO calls it in themselves. Out of the six times I have been checked no one has asked for anything except for hunting license and what have you shot. One time I was on the wrong property dove hunting (found out a few weeks later using a better map than the hand drawn one) and asked them to verify my boundaries and they laughed and moved on and said "keep shooting. We don't keep names and maps either for private property."

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6671384 02/12/17 03:42 AM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
I have never had a bad encounter with a state warden....and believe me I've dealt with many after being a charter boat Capt in and off shore for 32yrs. They've always been top shelf...
Now I have had a couple encounters with fed GWs....those dudes wound up pretty tight

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: majekman] #6671417 02/12/17 04:15 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I have never had a bad encounter with a state warden....and believe me I've dealt with many after being a charter boat Capt in and off shore for 32yrs. They've always been top shelf...
Now I have had a couple encounters with fed GWs....those dudes wound up pretty tight

Roger that Sir.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide