Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517174 10/29/16 02:49 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I want to know STX thoughts on the subject rofl

I have seen a few born real late, but not as late as Rusty mentioned. He has HF and LF ranches, so he surely is more in tune with what he has going on around him. I have 2 fawns that still have a few spots on the rear quarters and probably 10-15% smaller than fawns I saw early on. My uncles always called the late fawns "tricle rut fawns", fawns that where bred to does who didn't get "done" during the main rut, so they would be bred last.

If a spike looks like a yearling, I always pass, if it appears 2-1/2yoa-BOOOM

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517206 10/29/16 03:33 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
A strugling young buck may just be needing some better food. I'd focus on nutrition for the herd first versus killin the young herd. You may not have a herd left to hunt. If the buck makes it to 3 and has spike antlers then you have a real issue. Either too many mouths at the table, a junk buck, real poor nutrition, and or just plain old bad genetics. I've seen the older junk bucks with bad genes put out some horrible identicle junky frame genes in the herd. One spot inpaticular has a gene with one beam good and one beam almost slick or completely slick past the g2 in an area with other outstanding genes. Gotta kill that junky gene out for sure. Remember real real old bucks in decline put out some gangly horns too. Lucky to even see one. So? He is a trophy in my mind for sure. We have both been skirting the woods together for several years. cool

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517210 10/29/16 03:41 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I shoot them because I don't know no better. And to top that off I use a 223.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517263 10/29/16 04:47 PM
Z
zahid Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Z
It makes no sense to shoot a young deer

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: therancher] #6517272 10/29/16 04:57 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I have a 155" 3yr old 11 pt that was a 6" spike at 1.5. Because he was born in November.

He'll be a 180" 5 yr old when he dies. Only a fool would kill young spikes. Of course, it's not a bad thing there are a lot of fools. Success is easy.

Only a fool would make absolute statements. There are many reasons to kill spikes that aren't foolish.

No. There aren't. The only valid reason to shoot a "young" spike is because you want the meat (IF antler size isn't a priority).

The OP implied that antler size was important, therefore there is no valid reason to shoot a young spike. Young spikes are ones that are born in sept-dec. which is the vast majority of spikes in non drought years with good nutrition.

Some of you folks need to grow a little skin. And learn to recognize tongue in cheek comments.

The Kerr study doesn't take into account the majority of spikes. It was in pens, therefore it's comparing apples and aardvarks and it is foolish to hang the "inferior" tag on deer that were born so late in the year that they don't grow antler their first year.

Reduction in herd numbers
Older deer past his prime
Food on the table
Young deer that is genetically inferior

There's four perfectly valid reasons.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: stxranchman] #6517279 10/29/16 05:03 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: zahid] #6517365 10/29/16 06:34 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: zahid

They taste better than an older buck or doe. Taste even better ifin they still have milk on their lips, vealison is good stuff.

Nothing wrong with killing any legal deer a person wants to.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517438 10/29/16 07:48 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Camp meat next Saturday.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Tripper Swift] #6517471 10/29/16 08:33 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Res75206
This argument inevitably always seems the same. I dont really disagree with either side. I understand the Kerr study wouldnt actually be duplicated in the wild. I also believe that it makes sense to perform the study like they did to get rid of outside variables.
That being said I didnt realize it was even remotely possible for a deer to be born in November or December. I understand when your buck-doe ration is out of whack you end up with some doe being bread late, but I have never heard of a does being bread in March or April.

I have had fawns born in Sept. Oct. and Nov. the past several years and my neighbor had one born in late Dec. last year. Has nothing to do with buck:doe ratio. I don't claim to know what causes it, I just know it happens. This is in Mountain Home. On a ranch I owned in Val Verde co. in the early 2000's I had fawns born in Sept and Oct each year. So it's not regional or genetic.

And if you haven't seen fresh scrapes in late March early April then you haven't hunted near me in the hill country or west Texas. Also, mature bucks keep hard horned into mid to late april at times. I've been told that they keep horns as long as does are still coming in heat.

Last edited by therancher; 10/29/16 08:43 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6517476 10/29/16 08:48 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I have a 155" 3yr old 11 pt that was a 6" spike at 1.5. Because he was born in November.

He'll be a 180" 5 yr old when he dies. Only a fool would kill young spikes. Of course, it's not a bad thing there are a lot of fools. Success is easy.

Only a fool would make absolute statements. There are many reasons to kill spikes that aren't foolish.

No. There aren't. The only valid reason to shoot a "young" spike is because you want the meat (IF antler size isn't a priority).

The OP implied that antler size was important, therefore there is no valid reason to shoot a young spike. Young spikes are ones that are born in sept-dec. which is the vast majority of spikes in non drought years with good nutrition.

Some of you folks need to grow a little skin. And learn to recognize tongue in cheek comments.

The Kerr study doesn't take into account the majority of spikes. It was in pens, therefore it's comparing apples and aardvarks and it is foolish to hang the "inferior" tag on deer that were born so late in the year that they don't grow antler their first year.

Reduction in herd numbers Shooting does makes much more sense.
Older deer past his prime I've NEVER seen a buck past his prime be a spike
Food on the table The one and only good reason
Young deer that is genetically inferior That is impossible to know in a YOUNG deer

There's four perfectly valid reasons.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Rustler] #6517485 10/29/16 08:52 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Rustler

They taste better than an older buck or doe. Taste even better ifin they still have milk on their lips, vealison is good stuff.

Couldn't agree more with the highlighted statement. However, the OP indicated they were interested in managing for antlers.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: stxranchman] #6517514 10/29/16 09:29 PM
J
JKC Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle

rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle
rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle rifle
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517608 10/29/16 11:04 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
We do not shoot Spikes here unless their older.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: therancher] #6517724 10/30/16 12:40 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Couldn't agree more with the highlighted statement. However, the OP indicated they were interested in managing for antlers.

Not picking nits or messin with ya.
The OP never mentioned ' managing for antlers ' or any other management reasoning for killing or letting spikes walk.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517737 10/30/16 12:51 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Wait for it.....

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Rustler] #6517754 10/30/16 01:21 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Not picking nits or messin with ya.
The OP never mentioned ' managing for antlers ' or any other management reasoning for killing or letting spikes walk.

And I never said he "mentioned" managing for antlers. I said he "indicated" he did. I could be wrong in the assumption that "I normally don't shoot young deer" means he is interested in managing for decent antlers. If I'm wrong he can certainly correct me.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517763 10/30/16 01:32 AM
J
JMalin Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I want to see pictures of all these mythical 2.5 year old spikes.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: JMalin] #6517775 10/30/16 01:41 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: JMalin

Ain't that the truth! Or older. We have folks on here that think post mature bucks are spikes. I've NEVER seen one.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: therancher] #6517780 10/30/16 01:43 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: JMalin

Ain't that the truth! Or older. We have folks on here that think post mature bucks are spikes. I've NEVER seen one.

I did kill a 2 1/2 year old forkhorn one time.

i'm assuming he was a spike as a yearling.

I've personally never seen a spike that wasn't a yearling, not saying they don't exist

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517823 10/30/16 02:11 AM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There's nothing wrong with shooting a spike. There's probably as many reason to shoot one as there are to not shoot one. Low fence high fence who cares. It's one deer. The vast majority of hunters don't hunt on properties LF that are large enough to matter or on properly managed HF ranches so it really makes little difference in the deer herd. Most of the time all you're doing is taking a buck away from your one of neighbors...it's called dispersion and it happens usually after they're a 1.5 old.

That said, would I shoot a spike 99.9% of the time....no. Mostly for the same reason pro sports teams don't draft junior high athletes. But I also don't hunt on a HF ranch with some of the parameters mentioned above...if I did, I probably would.

The majority of the Kerr study is junk science and does not follow the scientific method. It also disproves its own findings on spikes if you'll read the portion on feeding different % of protein. Two of the Bucks that survived the study were spikes when it started and one turned out to be one of the two biggest bucks and the other spike was in the top 20-25% in antler characteristics.

So shootem, don't shootem it will likely make little difference in your herd especially small parcel LF properties.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6517825 10/30/16 02:11 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If you hunt TPW GDA Hunts, you will be encouraged to take spikes aka one antler has no forks longer than 1"? and the other antler has no forks other than knobs, as I recall.

The last spike I killed was at Lake Mineral Wells SP on a GDA Hunt. His antlers meaured a tad over 9's tall with mebbe a 1/2" fork about midway up, and the other side measured about 8 3/4's tall with several knarly thick spots that had not sprouted any measurable antler material . The SP Rangers were more than pleased to have that critter removed out of the gene pool, and made him at 4-5 years old & and around 100 lbs field dressed.

I killed another really weird looking spike years ago in Erath County. He had a turned antler about as thick as my middle finger, that was bent in almost a circle and was dug into the side of his head just ahead of the base of his ear, surrounded by a starburst of 8-9 triangular shaped & taperd to a point antler growths coming out of the pedicil. Several of these were also penetrating his skin in a downward angle, while the other side was a fairly thick normal 3 pt antler with no brow tine. The Landowner was hyper pleased and surprised that I was willing to burn a buck tag on him, but he was as big my partners 6pt'er, also without brow tines, at about 135/140 lbs live weight, minus a lot of blood from the 270 150gr er's exit wound.

I've seen the TPW Bio guys praise folks who take the little pencil spikes like in the pic just ahead of this post many times, but then they are simply trying to reduce the number of mouths eating the winter browse, and I've always passed on them to take my tag's full limit instead of bigger couple year old does.

FWIW I get a kick out of eliminating the really wierdo bucks as my contribution toward cleaning up the gene pool, and used to have a row of them hanging in my garage, with the weirder the better...but no lil pencil spikes ever...not big enough to bloody up a knife IMO.

The TPW Hunt Mgr at Garner got really PO'd at me when I wouldn't kill the lil scrawny 40-50 lb'er pencil spikes other folks were bringing in...oh well. It'll be a "cold day...." before I hunt Garner again anyway over that and some other issues I saw and was advised that I had to obey.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 10/30/16 02:22 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6518126 10/30/16 01:39 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
East Texas Eleven point? Whaaatt? grinKerr study, aww heck who is that. Yall dont get stuck on the number of points on one antler meaning its only 1. grin Theres 2 yr old 120 lb. Spikes runnin all over the piney woods. The 1 yr. Olds look like a baby with twiggys on its head. Hey, a 2 yr. Old spike would make a nice bow target. aim

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: Roll-Tide] #6518252 10/30/16 03:36 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

I guess I could compare bone structure. 1 yr. Old's skull and a 2 yr. Old's shed.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: therancher] #6518256 10/30/16 03:45 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Calling others a "fool" over their management plans really shows your level of intelligence and experience in the matter.

Re: Do yall shoot young spikes? [Re: txbobcat] #6518263 10/30/16 03:52 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txbobcat

Calling others a "fool" over their management plans really shows your level of intelligence and experience in the matter.

Tongue in cheek buttercup. My bad. I thought we could take a little light ribbing. cry

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide