Forums46
Topics538,073
Posts9,732,639
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: tth_40] #6479197 10/03/16 11:11 PM
R
rattler03 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: tth_40
Seen an aurora just before sun-up one time. It lasted for around 15 minutes then was gone. Up until that point, I'd never seen one live and in front of me. Amazing sight.

Where were you hunting when you saw that? That would be an absolutely awesome thing to experience.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479278 10/03/16 11:55 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Saw a crow land in the middle of a big oak tree behind my feeder. I saw movement about 12' above and to the right of the crow.......it was a squirrel. The squirrel moved down until he was about 4' above the crow then sprang on the crow. They both tumbled down about 10' feet before the crow got away from the squirrel.

I laughed out loud.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: Theringworm] #6479288 10/04/16 12:03 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
As a youth we had a deer lease outside of Comanche. On multiple occasions we would be entertained by a group of Apache helicopters doing maneuvers/dog fighting. As well as some air force jets doing the same and refueling mid air. No telling how many deer I never saw because I was mesmerized as a child by the acrobats in the sky by these skilled servicemen. Something I will never forget.

Those jets come over San Saba all the time and they are moving. One broke the sound barrier right over our camp one afternoon while my wife was sleeping inside. She came out all pissed off wanting to know why I was shooting next to her window......Amazing how fast those jets go.

Originally Posted By: colt45
bobcat putting the sneak on a rabbit

Saw this last year as well, really cool.

I've seen a bunch of owls near our blinds, hawks getting dove and quail at the feeders.

Someone mentioned illegals, when we used to hunt outside Laredo I remember border patrol showing up tracking a group when we finished the morning hunt. Never saw them.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 10/04/16 12:05 AM.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479424 10/04/16 01:15 AM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Was hunting off the Brazos up in North Texas one year near Seymour. Had shot a hog with my bow, saw it head towards the bank, grabbed my 30-30 I rested at the bottom of the tripod and started tracking him. Got to the bank (which was about 10 ft above the river, a lot of erosion), and spooked up what I thought was a coon out of a small mesquite. Turns out the "coon" was a d@mn chihuahua. It tumbled down the embankment, turned around to snarl at me one last time, crossed the river and went on his way. No houses or anything within miles, nobody believed me when I got back to camp.

Just 2 years ago during deer season.. Soon as I got to my usual parking space for the morning hunt I realized I left my backpack at camp, but decided to just wing it without flash light or my phone (without a phone? crazy I know eek2) Climbed into my blind, got settled in, and all the sudden it was like someone turned a light on in my blind. Everything was illuminated with a soft red glow. Not like from a spot light, more like a really bright IR light on a TC. Started to look out the windows to see who the H&LL was spotlighting on our property, but my windows were closed (pop-up blind on a platform, so I dont have translucent windows).

Looked all around me for the source of the light, but nothing. Nothing in my pockets, nothing I left in the blind from the wknd before, Nothing. Just me, a chair, and a 30-06. It dimmed out after a century long 5-10 min, and then nothing. Sounds really dumb, but really creeped me out for the rest of the wknd.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479426 10/04/16 01:17 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
HaHa talking about those jets and apache helicopters. While hunting out west, I was sitting in a tripod, (I was the tallest thing on the flats), it was a pretty windy afternoon, and kept hearing something. I spun around in the chair and there was an apache helicopter just hovering about about 800 yards out just looking at me. I swear I saw the pilot laughing his butt off at me. He slowly raised up gave it a wiggle and was gone.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479428 10/04/16 01:18 AM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
At my place we see and hear military jets practicing almost daily - of course, we hear more than we see. We are right between the Brownwood and Brady Military Operation Areas, so not surprising. Not while hunting, but a few weeks ago we had three C-130s pass over at very low altitude, almost completely blacked-out - the only thing visible was the fluorescent green markers.

Probably the strangest thing was last year while bow hunting - heard, not seen. It sounded like a hi- bypass jet at very high altitude, but passed from over from east to west in just a few seconds - maybe 10 seconds. Was a clear morning, but I couldn't see a plane, and at that speed, if really high, it would have been long gone before sound reached me. It wasn't like any plane I had ever heard, and I'm a pilot and aviation buff.

I love being in blind a seeing prey animals hunting - bobcat and hawks are most common I've seen. I had a hawk perch on my feeder and dare the squirrels to steal corn. He became an instant favorite! When mowing or plowing, not uncommon for me to have 2 or 3 Hawks staying close to gobble up the newly homeless critters.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479431 10/04/16 01:19 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I wash fishing one morning on a small lake. I was on a kayak and out of nowhere a turkey flies about 15 ft over my head. That got my heart pumping.

Watched a doe chase a coyote off

I'm sure there are others but those come to mind

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479582 10/04/16 02:59 AM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Several years ago, I saw a group of turkeys come to the feeder I was watching. The feeder sat across a water tank on the top side of a hill. The side of that tank had dead cottonwood trees that were about 20-30 ft tall. After they cleaned up the corn, they walked across the tank dam and out of sight. About 10 mins later and almost dark I heard them start flying. Then all hell broke loose. They flew up into those dead cottonwoods and pinballed down until they caught hold. Scared the crap out of me until I figured out what was going on. Pretty funny watching them and that was the first time I'd ever seen them fly into a roost.

Was fishing at PK a few years ago. Sitting in a light dock crappie and stripper fishing. It was about 2:30 in the morning and saw a beaver swim by. That thing was huge! A little while later I saw a water snake swim from under the dock and down into dark water. About 10 mins later he swam back into the lights and had a small catfish in its mouth. That was a first as well.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479722 10/04/16 10:16 AM
E
Elkhunter49 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
How about a quick story with a photo. Many years back I was Elk hunting near Leadville Colorado. It was around 4AM in the morning and still pitch black. My buddy and I were slowly riding our mules up the side of an east facing slope quietly working our way thru a huge stand of Lodgepole pines. It was a brutal cold morning and I was leading us but for some reason my mule locked his front knees and refused to move. After a few choice words and well placed boots he still wouldn't move. I climbed down and got my flashlight out to see what had him locked up. Well in the dark it looked like the backdoor to hell. I followed the same path back down later that morning and took this photo. Take one guess who got some extra alfalfa that evening. A good mountain mule with eyes as big around as a beer can are a blessing!! Later folks, Elkhunter

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 10/04/16 10:18 AM.

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479727 10/04/16 10:26 AM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I once saw a bobcat put the stalk on 3 Jake turkeys. The turkeys were at the feeder and there was a thick bramble of trees and brush between them and where the bobcat came over the hill. Shortly after the bobcat entered the top side of the bramble the Jakes went on alert and took off the opposite direction. I swear the bobcat has a surprised look on his face when he popped out of the bramble right where the Jakes HAD been.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479741 10/04/16 11:01 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Shot a coyote while turkey hunting a cultivated field. He was a ways out so let him lay while I kept calling. 3-4 minutes after shooting, 10-12 Cow calf pairs came along and stomped the the dead coyote, really good for a minute or so stirring up a lot of dirt and providing me with some decent entertainment.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479748 10/04/16 11:09 AM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
About 40 years ago in Louisiana I had a black fox walk up within 10 feet of me. I was sitting leaned up against a tree. He was so old the hair around his mouth was gray. He looked at me for awhile then turned and walked away. I remember it like it was yesterday.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479838 10/04/16 12:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
This guy landed about 75 yards in front of my blind in east TX. I have never been so glad to have a good camera.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479859 10/04/16 01:03 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Many years ago sitting in Dimmit co in a tower blind.....watched a rather well endowed mid 20s looking illegal alien gal change clothes. Loved my 10x50 binos that day grin

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: majekman] #6479879 10/04/16 01:16 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: majekman
Many years ago sitting in Dimmit co in a tower blind.....watched a rather well endowed mid 20s looking illegal alien gal change clothes. Loved my 10x50 binos that day grin

Did you offer her a ride? roflmao

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479947 10/04/16 01:54 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Probably the time I watched a half-grown bobcat stalk an unsuspecting armadillo. It finally got close enough to jump on top of it and just as quickly jumped off having scared itself more than it did the armadillo.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6479961 10/04/16 02:02 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Not hunting, but I got repeatedly buzzed by an F4 Phantom while up on Enchanted Rock. His wing tip looked like I could reach up and touch it (he would turn on his side as he went over me). I was away from the top so I'm pretty sure he was buzzing me. He'd fly out a few miles and come back. He also, after making one pass, turned so sharply that his plane went sideways through the air before it "caught" and took off in the new direction.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: Texas Dan] #6480008 10/04/16 02:23 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
One night many years ago while coon hunting, a friend and I watched what we later learned was a Russian satellite break apart and burn up after falling out of its decaying orbit.

Hard to top that one.

We saw the Challenger space shuttle break up over East Texas that Saturday morning. We were in the car headed to trade days in Canton, and was wondering what all the sparkles and smoke trails were coming down in the sky. We saw the initial light, and then all the debris and smoke trails from it. I thought it was some asteroid or something, and thought it was a sight to see. I didn't know what it was at the time. The people in Canton at the trade days said they heard the loud bang, and then heard on the news what it was. I felt really bad after I heard what it was. Sad deal!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6480017 10/04/16 02:30 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Quail hunting in Florida, we had a pair of Hawks above us in a pine tree. Fancy our English pointer was locked up on point below them. We flushed the covey and I got my face on the receiver and began picking a bird out. Then I saw lots of blurrs. The two Hawks dove down and nailed a quail each. I never even got a shot.

Had a covey of quail feeding below me as I was bow hunting. A grey fox came in and started eating corn. I couldn't believe they were feeding together. Then the fox walked a big circle around the feeder and laid down. I had no idea what was coming next. The quail fed and we're starting to leave. I forgot about the fox lying there. The quail were walking single file 30y to my left and walked right into the fox. He sat still and they were right on top of him. He nailed one. As he was eating I arrowed him for messing with my quail. He ran by and I got see his guts hanging out.
An hour later a huge coyote went by. Then at dark I went looking for the fox. Found what was left of him. The coyote ate him. Im my journal I called the hunt "the dog eat dog hunt":)

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6480101 10/04/16 03:18 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I was glassing the side of mountain in Utah and saw a drunk Indian tumble and butt surf down a hundred yard scree slope. He lay there for several minutes and I was just about to get up and go check on him when he got up and staggered off.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: Elkhunter49] #6480118 10/04/16 03:24 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
How about a quick story with a photo. Many years back I was Elk hunting near Leadville Colorado. It was around 4AM in the morning and still pitch black. My buddy and I were slowly riding our mules up the side of an east facing slope quietly working our way thru a huge stand of Lodgepole pines. It was a brutal cold morning and I was leading us but for some reason my mule locked his front knees and refused to move. After a few choice words and well placed boots he still wouldn't move. I climbed down and got my flashlight out to see what had him locked up. Well in the dark it looked like the backdoor to hell. I followed the same path back down later that morning and took this photo. Take one guess who got some extra alfalfa that evening. A good mountain mule with eyes as big around as a beer can are a blessing!! Later folks, Elkhunter

good story. Glad you had a solid long eared friend that day. eek2

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: Elkhunter49] #6480151 10/04/16 03:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49

Dadgum!! Now that's a story....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #6480196 10/04/16 04:09 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
I was glassing the side of mountain in Utah and saw a drunk Indian tumble and butt surf down a hundred yard scree slope. He lay there for several minutes and I was just about to get up and go check on him when he got up and staggered off.

I've seen one passed out in the fountain at Inn of the Mountain Gods Casino in Ruidoso back in the early 90's.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 10/04/16 04:09 PM.
Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6480261 10/04/16 04:48 PM
J
joeycoates Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
About five years ago I was fishing in one of our ponds throwing a buzz bait along the bank of a dam from a small john boat. As I was casting I saw some movement and realized that it was a mature male bobcat coming over the top of the dam to see what the noise was he had heard from the pond...my buzz bait. He walked out to the top of the dam and sat down watching me throw that buzz bait for about 15 minutes, every time I would cast he would watch the lure fly through the air and then go back along the bank as I reeled it in. Finally he stood up, walked over to a small bush, backed up to it and sprayed the heck out of it. Once he was done he kicked some dirt on the bush with his rear feet, gave me a slight look, and disappeared back over the top of the dam. It was pretty neat just watching him as he watched the buzz bait go back and forth.

Re: Coolest things you've seen from the stand that didn't involve your targeted prey??? [Re: rattler03] #6480329 10/04/16 05:26 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
While I was deer hunting a couple of years ago, sitting up in a tall blind that overlooks a power line ROW, a bobcat came slinking out of the woods and went to the creek. I guess it was looking for a way to cross without getting wet on a very cold day. All of a sudden, from out of the brush, a coyote shot into the ROW from where the bobcat had come. Apparently he was tracking the bobcat with plans to kill and eat it. The bobcat was not even slightly worried as he turned to face the coyote. The coyote was sliding to a stop as fast as he could. They looked at each other for a few seconds and the coyote backed away and then started looking for mice - something he really could kill and eat. I then shot the coyote.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide