Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: sotx23] #6406194 08/13/16 03:51 AM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
My Browning keeps all the dust out. My safe is in a garage/workshop with all my metal and wood working tools. Everything is covered in dust, but the contents of the safe are clean.

Anyone have a problem with dust gathering in their safe? Which brand?

Last edited by Colt W. Knight; 08/13/16 03:51 AM.
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: Huntaholics] #6406365 08/13/16 01:03 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Huntaholics
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

It's not going to matter if your house gets broken into. They will either have the tools to break into or not. Having it in the house will not protect your high end guns if they have the tools to break into the safe.

This statement is right on the money. I had a Browning ProSteel safe lock and jam on me recently and after several days of speaking with various locksmiths and Browning I resorted to cutting it open myself. I was honestly pretty surprised how simple it was. This of course was after several long conversations with Browning and confirming how/where to cut to do as minimal damage as possible so I could possibly "fix" it.

The safe will deter the thief and/or delay them long enough for law enforcement or the homeowner to interrupt their activities....

In my garage = thief can easily get through garage door (i think a 12yr old girl can get into a builder grade garage door), has easy access to everything they need to get in safe (blow torch, saws, axe, crowbar, chains, tannerite), has all the time in the world to get into a safe because I don't keep my dog, motion detection alarm system, motion detection camera system in garage.

In my house = thief has to get past my security bars, get past my dog, cut power for alarm system before signal goes out (eventhough its on battery backup with cellular), cut power to my cameras, actually find my safe (it's well hidden and hard to access), then try to break into it.

Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: jeepercreeper] #6406372 08/13/16 01:10 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

It's not going to matter if your house gets broken into. They will either have the tools to break into or not. Having it in the house will not protect your high end guns if they have the tools to break into the safe.

This statement is right on the money. I had a Browning ProSteel safe lock and jam on me recently and after several days of speaking with various locksmiths and Browning I resorted to cutting it open myself. I was honestly pretty surprised how simple it was. This of course was after several long conversations with Browning and confirming how/where to cut to do as minimal damage as possible so I could possibly "fix" it.

The safe will deter the thief and/or delay them long enough for law enforcement or the homeowner to interrupt their activities....

In my garage = thief can easily get through garage door (i think a 12yr old girl can get into a builder grade garage door), has easy access to everything they need to get in safe (blow torch, saws, axe, crowbar, chains, tannerite), has all the time in the world to get into a safe because I don't keep my dog, motion detection alarm system, motion detection camera system in garage.

In my house = thief has to get past my security bars, get past my dog, cut power for alarm system before signal goes out (eventhough its on battery backup with cellular), cut power to my cameras, actually find my safe (it's well hidden and hard to access), then try to break into it.

Lol! Sounds like you have given him access to everything he needs in your garage to easily and more quietly work inside your house. He could take out your dog much easier inside your house without the neighbors hearing than if your dog was in the back yard where it will bark, cry etc... and get your neighbors attention.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: Colt W. Knight] #6406377 08/13/16 01:12 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
My Browning keeps all the dust out. My safe is in a garage/workshop with all my metal and wood working tools. Everything is covered in dust, but the contents of the safe are clean.

No. My garage has plenty of dust and dog hair. None of it gets in my safe.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: sotx23] #6406388 08/13/16 01:19 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Also for those of you with house alarm systems an experienced burglar will disable this system quickly and easily. They simply cut your phone line that notifies the alarm company and punch a hole up through the sheet rock in your garage to acces the atttic to cut the wires to the alarm horn. Now he can move freely through out your home.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6406392 08/13/16 01:25 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

Lol! Sounds like you have given him access to everything he needs in your garage to easily and more quietly work inside your house. He could take out your dog much easier inside your house without the neighbors hearing than if your dog was in the back yard where it will bark, cry etc... and get your neighbors attention.

Outside of tannerite, its all pretty common garage stuff.

In all reality, smart thieves don't want to get caught so they take the path of least resistance and enjoy easy targets. Most garages are easy targets and dont present much of a challenge. I've had stuff stolen from my garage before but never from my house.

Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: sotx23] #6406397 08/13/16 01:34 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
My garage has two neighbors front windows looking at it every day. It would be the a very poor choice for a theif to try to rob.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: sotx23] #6406401 08/13/16 01:40 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I use my garage because logistically it makes the most sense in my current home. My next build I'm going to have my closet much bigger with double doors to accommodate my safe. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6406406 08/13/16 01:48 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I use my garage because logistically it makes the most sense in my current home. My next build I'm going to have my closet much bigger with double doors to accommodate my safe. up

That is the way to go. If you can make the closet appear like a normal/boring clothes or coat closet is best. Or use a false wall at back of closet that conceals your safe. I have a pretty good setup in which there are only 3 other people that know where my safe is and there's no way a thief would find it unless they watched me access it.

Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: sotx23] #6406410 08/13/16 01:52 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Ok while on the topic. If you dont follow the gun room thread on arfcom...you should. A guy recently built a gun room in his garage that is really well done. Im not really sure why he used guys off the street to build it since they now know its there, but maybe he just told them it was going to be a tornado shelter. Anyway, checkout the pics. He has a hidden vault door to access the room.

His handle is Luv2Plink starting a few posts down on this page:
Arfcom Gun Room thread

Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: sotx23] #6406451 08/13/16 02:49 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
That is bad a$$!! up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: Colt W. Knight] #6407200 08/14/16 03:06 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight

I don't have a problem with dust getting in my safe but I'm possibly a bit anal about taking care of my belongings. Especially what has a lot of money tied up in it. While your experience is good for you I still wouldn't keep my valuables in the garage. And the dust is the least concern in my list of points. You shouldn't get so hung up on it.

Unfortunately, I had a substantial house fire and one thing I learned is soot will get inside of everything including a safe.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: Texas Dan] #6407425 08/14/16 01:38 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, temperature and humidity variations are too great to keep firearms in a garage. I was able to get me wife to agree to letting me put our's in the bedroom by letting her pick one based on its appearance. I found a nice looking flat screen TV stand and moved the TV from the wall to the top of the safe.

I think getting my wife to recognize the safe would be used to protect other valuables helped sell her on it as well. If your wife has expensive jewelry or heirloom items, it should be no-brainier. Her valuables are well protected and more quickly available.

This is THE ONE and only thing that is utterly non-negotiable in our home...the guns stay in the house in the safe, on the first floor.

Re: Gun Safe in Garage? [Re: sotx23] #6431731 08/30/16 08:48 PM
H
hunter787777 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
garage, dehimdifier, bolted in, leave it hidden behind some ladders and other trashy garage stuff - 6-7 years now for me with no issues, get gun out of safe, shoot deer, put back in.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide