Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: mattyg06] #6415795 08/19/16 05:11 PM
K
Khaiguy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Last year was my lab's first year of hunting. We hunted many afternoons in Woodson that start at +100 degrees. I bought her a Swamp Cooler vest by Ruffwear and made sure to keep it wet/moist. It worked great and each dose of water would last far longer than if we just poured water directly on her. Feeling underneath the vest, it was noticeably cooler by maybe 15-20 degrees. It also served to protect her underside from the brush and thorns. I highly recommend it. Make sure you follow the sizing instructions.

Swamp Cooler by Ruffwear

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: Khaiguy] #6415819 08/19/16 05:35 PM
K
kweber Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
season after season, many Labs go to Emg care...
they are house dogs and some don't got home standing up...
watch yer pooch.

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: Espy] #6416047 08/19/16 08:22 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Espy
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
My dogs have never touched a dove.

are you sure about that
enjoy seeing your pics

They just like to watch. whistle

[Linked Image]

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: Buzzsaw] #6416089 08/19/16 08:50 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Just make sure your dog is trained and will obey.....

Nothing is more embarrassing than to spend the whole day wondering where your mutt is, yelling HERE _____ till you pass out.

It makes other hunters mad even though they will never say anything.

then,, don't kill your poor dog who is not in condition and will hunt his/her azz off doing what they love, only to find themselves trying to survive heatstroke caused by their dumbazz owners who think the have a "hunting" dog.

Now this rant being over, I've taken my dogs in the past, had great success and fun.

just be smart.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This!

DO NOT let your dog get overheated.It is YOUR responsibility to watch them and know when to make them rest. Simply having 'water' for the dog is not enough. They can only shed heat through their belly skin and by 'panting' (air exchange).

An overheated dog breathing in 100° air isn't going to get cooled off quickly enough. You must stop your dog BEFORE they get hot, NOT try and attend to them once they are dragging their hind legs behind them (from cramps) have a tongue as red as an apple and are panting rapid, short breaths.

Yes, if you know what you are doing....take your dog, watch him/her closely and have a good time.

Sorry for the rant, but I've seen my share of idiots ruin some really good dogs.

Be careful, pay attention to your hunting pal!

Last edited by flintknapper; 08/20/16 02:02 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: mattyg06] #6416408 08/20/16 01:16 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A dog is a tool just like a shotgun, I wouldn't hunt without a shotgun, just give him some water when he gets thirsty and shoot your birds

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: rdh1] #6416469 08/20/16 02:06 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: rdh1
It is NOT hunting unless you have a dog or two

I'm trying to get the wife and ex to go this year....but their not interested. confused2

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: mattyg06] #6416825 08/20/16 02:36 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
My dog is not atool. Shes a partner

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: garrett] #6416918 08/20/16 04:24 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: garrett
A dog is a tool just like a shotgun

No wonder your dog is so mean and bites people. You need to show that dog more love garrett.

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: garrett] #6417011 08/20/16 06:05 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
A dog is a tool just like a shotgun, I wouldn't hunt without a shotgun, just give him some water when he gets thirsty and shoot your birds

Only a Tool would make such a comment on a thread

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: mattyg06] #6417374 08/20/16 11:07 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Your reading to much into it, Hermes. I didn't say run the dog ragged and let it die and get a new one. A working dog by definition is a tool, a shotgun is a tool, I could go as far as to say my emolyment is the tool used to keep my family fed and under shelter...nice personal attack though up

Guy, every person he's bit had it coming, especially gdogg clap

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: garrett] #6417476 08/21/16 12:12 AM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Your reading to much into it, Hermes. I didn't say run the dog ragged and let it die and get a new one. A working dog by definition is a tool, a shotgun is a tool, I could go as far as to say my emolyment is the tool used to keep my family fed and under shelter...nice personal attack though up

A good craftsman loves his trade and his tools roflmao

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: mattyg06] #6417505 08/21/16 12:23 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Where's my like button

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: Khaiguy] #6418315 08/21/16 07:08 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Khaiguy
Last year was my lab's first year of hunting. We hunted many afternoons in Woodson that start at +100 degrees. I bought her a Swamp Cooler vest by Ruffwear and made sure to keep it wet/moist. It worked great and each dose of water would last far longer than if we just poured water directly on her. Feeling underneath the vest, it was noticeably cooler by maybe 15-20 degrees. It also served to protect her underside from the brush and thorns. I highly recommend it. Make sure you follow the sizing instructions.

Swamp Cooler by Ruffwear

Thanks! I ordered a swamp cooler for Buster today. He's a black dog so he will like it I bet. Penny the orange female is not quite ready for opening day. I need to take her when it is just her and myself. She could be ruined by too much gunfire at the wrong time.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: garrett] #6420325 08/23/16 12:05 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

Based on your response to flintknapper- no, that's exactly what you meant, Cowboy

stir

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: bobcat1] #6420421 08/23/16 01:13 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

Daisy's first year in W Tx opening weekend. Beer, Gatorade and ice. We couldn't find her for about 10 seconds. She knew what to do w cooler

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Dogs and dove [Re: Greekangler] #6420594 08/23/16 03:08 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Haha! Yep they can figure that out GA. Your dog is why I wound up with my 2. Love them to death.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: Greekangler] #6420920 08/23/16 02:42 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Greekangler

Based on your response to flintknapper- no, that's exactly what you meant, Cowboy

stir

Greek, it is what it is I guess, I won’t change your mind, what’s interesting is the term “cowboy” being used. The cowboy a lot of times has a bit of a reputation that is not real spot on thanks to the old west movies and tall tales and the border line carnies that follow the rodeo piled into an impala 5 deep running wide open down the hiway. Most people would say that they are a rough group, drink too much, cuss too much, rough on their horses, dogs and livestock. They like to fight and will throw a punch at the first chance given. It’s been my personal experience that this stereotype could not be further from the truth when speaking about the majority of cowboys. Of course there are those guys that try to live up to that reputation, but they are for sure the minority.

Growing up when I heard the term cowboy thrown around my mental picture was an old man in a beat up hat that drove an even more beat up flatbed that stayed hooked up to the stock trailer that looked like it wasn’t gonna make to out to the road. Growing up in central Texas we didn’t work cattle off horseback, our neighbors didn’t, and their neighbors didn’t either. The herd was gathered and lead to the pens by the feed truck, all cows knew was if they followed the feed truck they would get hooked up with some grub. We’d drive out in the middle of a pasture and start blowing the horn and they would gather around us, once all around we drove real slow and they followed right along. Once in the big pen a couple of “cowboys” would get in the pen and start sorting them on foot. The cows are separated from the calfs, and ran up the alley to the squeeze chute where they were fly tagged and sprayed. The calfs were sorted through based on what their fate had in store for them. Replacement heifers were branded and added to the breeding stock, the bull calfs cut so they could be backgrounded and sold later. All this was done on foot, not a horse one was around. Squeeze chutes, range cubes and holding pens are the king in Central Texas. This was my view of the true cowboy.

Then I graduated high school and it was off to Lubbock, Texas. It was in this area that I learned that there were huge ranches that did things a little more traditional. These places out west made our central texas places look very small acreage wise. These pastures were so big a feed truck pulling up and honking its horn was not going to do much good. They had to have “cowboys” on horseback riding pastures to gather the cattle out of the scrub brush. Some of these new yearlings on the ground had never seen a feed truck or a person for that matter. At these places a good horse was a must. They gathered the cattle and drove them to the pens for working. They sorted like we did, but it was all on horseback. Then once the cows were out and calfs remain it was time to rope and drag. To me this was real deal cowboy work, no squeeze chutes, just men on horses roping calfs and dragging to some men on the ground who had to man handle and hold the calf down while It was cut, inoculated and branded. This was dirty and hard work, but they did it all the while joking, laughing and smiling. Although the approach is different than what I was use to there one common thread, all these men gave it 110%, you didn’t see anyone leaning and taking it easy. It was go go go until the work was done.

When I got back to central Texas I started wondering why the cowboy work is so regional? It wasn’t until the last couple of years that this has really been on my mind. I mean why do we do things so different than the guys that are 4-5hrs down the road? Best I can come up with is how the areas were settled and who settled them. Around here there is a very heavy German influence, along with that I guess they brought their European ways over here and just raise a gentler herd that are easily handled. While out west they have a more vaquero influence and those guys were horsemen through and through. I think that has a lot to do with it, but the biggest thing is grass, and I’m not talking Colorado grass, I’m talking cow grass. The Germans picked this area because it was fertile, it had rivers, it had grass, it had good dirt for crops. With more grass they didn’t need as many acres per head as you would out west. Therefore, the cattle got used to seeing people and understood that people were good and a truck honking its horn meant they were about to get hooked up. Out west it takes so many more acres per head they have to have these large sprawling pastures.

The last few times we have had to work cattle I noticed that at one set of pens the cattle were just more waspy. Once they got in the alley headed towards the squeeze chute it was like watching the Daytona 500. Catching them in the head gate was a chore, you had to be quick or you were going to miss and then hear about it the rest of the day. Few months back I started looking into cow psychology so to speak. We all know they are a herd animal, and once you get that leading one headed the right direction the rest would follow, that was the easy part. Herd animals assume that everything is out to eat them and they get nervous when surrounded by a lot of people and new things they are not use to seeing on a daily basis. On days we work them we always have a couple of trucks, a ranger 4-5 men and a couple of kids helping, and they just would not settle down. I started doing some research on low stress handling and came across some great information. Our alley way is a pipe fence with hog panel, they can see through it and see us and the trucks and all our crap. The sight on this stuff wigged them out and they would haul arse to get away. Then once they got into the cute the brakes were thrown on due to being caught in the head gate. At this point they really wigged out, it made work just a little harder.

What I took away was that we needed to “blind” them to keep them calm. We are now lining our alley way with cedar staves so that they cannot see anything to get nervous about. This is already done at one set of pens and those cows work real easy, so I am confident it will be like a whole other herd we are working when the other pens are set up the same. Low stress is the key to how we do things.

I guess my point is that I have never seen a cowboy be mean to an animal. Those animals put a roof over his head and beans in his belly. Now he will have firm hand and expects his dogs and horse (west texas guys) to respond accordingly, but there is a big difference between a firm hand and being mean. If you let an animal get away with something they will try to get away with it every time, nip in the bud is the only way to go, ask any dog trainer and he’ll back that up.

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: mattyg06] #6420989 08/23/16 03:51 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Bo my choco lab will be with me and i always take a kiddie pool. He always gets breaks and i have him lay down in it. Even if it makes me stop hunting. Im still debating on my drathaar puppy, she has a black coat, but she is retreiving well, but havent done FF yet. Im going to invest in the swamp cooler as well this year.

To each their own but the kiddie pool makes a world of difference especially with a cooler just for ice to cool off the H2O from time to time.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: garrett] #6421437 08/23/16 10:36 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

stir

Greek, it is what it is I guess, I won’t change your mind, what’s interesting is the term “cowboy” being used. The cowboy a lot of times has a bit of a reputation that is not real spot on thanks to the old west movies and tall tales and the border line carnies that follow the rodeo piled into an impala 5 deep running wide open down the hiway. Most people would say that they are a rough group, drink too much, cuss too much, rough on their horses, dogs and livestock. They like to fight and will throw a punch at the first chance given. It’s been my personal experience that this stereotype could not be further from the truth when speaking about the majority of cowboys. Of course there are those guys that try to live up to that reputation, but they are for sure the minority.

Growing up when I heard the term cowboy thrown around my mental picture was an old man in a beat up hat that drove an even more beat up flatbed that stayed hooked up to the stock trailer that looked like it wasn’t gonna make to out to the road. Growing up in central Texas we didn’t work cattle off horseback, our neighbors didn’t, and their neighbors didn’t either. The herd was gathered and lead to the pens by the feed truck, all cows knew was if they followed the feed truck they would get hooked up with some grub. We’d drive out in the middle of a pasture and start blowing the horn and they would gather around us, once all around we drove real slow and they followed right along. Once in the big pen a couple of “cowboys” would get in the pen and start sorting them on foot. The cows are separated from the calfs, and ran up the alley to the squeeze chute where they were fly tagged and sprayed. The calfs were sorted through based on what their fate had in store for them. Replacement heifers were branded and added to the breeding stock, the bull calfs cut so they could be backgrounded and sold later. All this was done on foot, not a horse one was around. Squeeze chutes, range cubes and holding pens are the king in Central Texas. This was my view of the true cowboy.

Then I graduated high school and it was off to Lubbock, Texas. It was in this area that I learned that there were huge ranches that did things a little more traditional. These places out west made our central texas places look very small acreage wise. These pastures were so big a feed truck pulling up and honking its horn was not going to do much good. They had to have “cowboys” on horseback riding pastures to gather the cattle out of the scrub brush. Some of these new yearlings on the ground had never seen a feed truck or a person for that matter. At these places a good horse was a must. They gathered the cattle and drove them to the pens for working. They sorted like we did, but it was all on horseback. Then once the cows were out and calfs remain it was time to rope and drag. To me this was real deal cowboy work, no squeeze chutes, just men on horses roping calfs and dragging to some men on the ground who had to man handle and hold the calf down while It was cut, inoculated and branded. This was dirty and hard work, but they did it all the while joking, laughing and smiling. Although the approach is different than what I was use to there one common thread, all these men gave it 110%, you didn’t see anyone leaning and taking it easy. It was go go go until the work was done.

When I got back to central Texas I started wondering why the cowboy work is so regional? It wasn’t until the last couple of years that this has really been on my mind. I mean why do we do things so different than the guys that are 4-5hrs down the road? Best I can come up with is how the areas were settled and who settled them. Around here there is a very heavy German influence, along with that I guess they brought their European ways over here and just raise a gentler herd that are easily handled. While out west they have a more vaquero influence and those guys were horsemen through and through. I think that has a lot to do with it, but the biggest thing is grass, and I’m not talking Colorado grass, I’m talking cow grass. The Germans picked this area because it was fertile, it had rivers, it had grass, it had good dirt for crops. With more grass they didn’t need as many acres per head as you would out west. Therefore, the cattle got used to seeing people and understood that people were good and a truck honking its horn meant they were about to get hooked up. Out west it takes so many more acres per head they have to have these large sprawling pastures.

The last few times we have had to work cattle I noticed that at one set of pens the cattle were just more waspy. Once they got in the alley headed towards the squeeze chute it was like watching the Daytona 500. Catching them in the head gate was a chore, you had to be quick or you were going to miss and then hear about it the rest of the day. Few months back I started looking into cow psychology so to speak. We all know they are a herd animal, and once you get that leading one headed the right direction the rest would follow, that was the easy part. Herd animals assume that everything is out to eat them and they get nervous when surrounded by a lot of people and new things they are not use to seeing on a daily basis. On days we work them we always have a couple of trucks, a ranger 4-5 men and a couple of kids helping, and they just would not settle down. I started doing some research on low stress handling and came across some great information. Our alley way is a pipe fence with hog panel, they can see through it and see us and the trucks and all our crap. The sight on this stuff wigged them out and they would haul arse to get away. Then once they got into the cute the brakes were thrown on due to being caught in the head gate. At this point they really wigged out, it made work just a little harder.

What I took away was that we needed to “blind” them to keep them calm. We are now lining our alley way with cedar staves so that they cannot see anything to get nervous about. This is already done at one set of pens and those cows work real easy, so I am confident it will be like a whole other herd we are working when the other pens are set up the same. Low stress is the key to how we do things.

I guess my point is that I have never seen a cowboy be mean to an animal. Those animals put a roof over his head and beans in his belly. Now he will have firm hand and expects his dogs and horse (west texas guys) to respond accordingly, but there is a big difference between a firm hand and being mean. If you let an animal get away with something they will try to get away with it every time, nip in the bud is the only way to go, ask any dog trainer and he’ll back that up.

Omg, I can't believe I read all that.

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: mattyg06] #6421504 08/24/16 12:00 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
clap

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: garrett] #6421655 08/24/16 02:00 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by garrett
clap

You do realize the next time I hunt with you, your nickname for the day will be "Cowboy" baby.
peep

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: garrett] #6421691 08/24/16 02:21 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
"A Cowboys work is never done"

I think it was Will Rogers that said that...or maybe Sonny & Cher

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: garrett] #6421696 08/24/16 02:22 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

stir

Did you have to write that to graduate?

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: ndhunter] #6421728 08/24/16 02:46 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: ndhunter

stir

Did you have to write that to graduate?

Hell of a book answer. I don't know about the cowboy part but I agree that a dog is a tool.I love my dogs but you people who consider your dogs like children, I worry about you. You know when you get one your probably going to outlive it. Take care of a great dog and he'll take care of you.

It's not a person. I feed dogs because they do a job for me. It costs just as much to feed a great Bird dog as it does to feed a chitty one. Keep the great ones and give away or sell the OK ones.

I still take a cooler full of water for my dog to sit in while I'm shooting dove. I'd hate to loose a great bird dog while dove hunting.

Re: Dogs and dove [Re: bobcat1] #6421798 08/24/16 03:31 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Haha! Yep they can figure that out GA. Your dog is why I wound up with my 2. Love them to death.

What breeder did you use? Happy? Here in Tx?

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide