Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad] #6267347 04/19/16 11:09 PM
S
silent hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
One weekend going through Archer County I saw five trucks with atv's pulled over by state troopers and the wardens. Then the following weekend saw the same thing in Young County. I have also seen it done in Jacksboro. The one in Jacksboro I was behind the truck with a four wheeler in the back and we passed a warden parked on the side. The warden then went around me to pull the truck over.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: krmitchell] #6270941 04/22/16 11:58 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
If you get stopped they will check it for being stolen. Even if your hauling it on a trailer. They will pull you over just to check it. A bill of sale will not prevent them from confiscating it if it's reported stolen and possibly arresting you if they think they need to. These things get stolen all the time. The excuse he gave you is bogus.

Realistically what are the chances of getting pulled over for just hauling a 4 wheeler? 4 wheelers are sold all the time without a title. I agree it is definitely safer to have one, but at the same time if you are using it only on private property I'd say the risk is relatively low in having an issue. I could be wrong but just my opinion. Another question, is it even legal to be pulled over just because you have a 4 wheeler on a trailer? That sounds like a really big stretch of probably cause.

That's for sure. It equates to being pulled over and asked to show the title for your car or truck.

The Texas DMV has never required titles for off road vehicles. I have titles for my two ATV's ONLY because it was required back in the day to get a Public Use Permit to ride ATV's in the National Forest.

If an officer were to pull me over and ask for proof that I owned my ATV, I would ask him for proof that it was stolen. That's how the law works.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: ATV Title Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6270947 04/22/16 12:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
If you get stopped they will check it for being stolen. Even if your hauling it on a trailer. They will pull you over just to check it. A bill of sale will not prevent them from confiscating it if it's reported stolen and possibly arresting you if they think they need to. These things get stolen all the time. The excuse he gave you is bogus.

Realistically what are the chances of getting pulled over for just hauling a 4 wheeler? 4 wheelers are sold all the time without a title. I agree it is definitely safer to have one, but at the same time if you are using it only on private property I'd say the risk is relatively low in having an issue. I could be wrong but just my opinion. Another question, is it even legal to be pulled over just because you have a 4 wheeler on a trailer? That sounds like a really big stretch of probably cause.

That's for sure. It equates to being pulled over and asked to show the title for your car or truck.

The Texas DMV has never required titles for off road vehicles. I have titles for my two ATV's ONLY because it was required back in the day to get a Public Use Permit to ride ATV's in the National Forest.

If an officer were to pull me over and ask for proof that I owned my ATV, I would ask him for proof that it was stolen. That's how the law works.

That is bad information Dan.
Just google "Texas ATV title requirements".

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad] #6270960 04/22/16 12:19 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Quote:

TxDMV » Motorists » Buying or Selling a Vehicle » Off-Highway Vehicles

registration renewal e-reminder address change specialty plates temporary permits vehicle-transit vehicle transfer notification title check

Off-Highway Vehicles

Low-Speed Vehicles (LSVs), also known as Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs), and golf carts are regulated by state and federal laws. Registered, titled and insured NEVs may be legally driven at a maximum speed of 35 mph on public roads with a posted speed limit of 45 mph or less, unless a city or county ordinance prohibits their operation. The TxDMV does not title or register golf carts. Golf cart owners who received a title before the law changed on September 1, 2009, are not required to return their titles to the TxDMV. For Driver License requirements to operate any of these vehicles, contact your local law enforcement agency.

This was copied from this page, http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/off-highway-vehicles

I didn't get a title with my Ranger, bought new from the dealer. It appears the old laws required a title but it changed in 2009.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad] #6270964 04/22/16 12:22 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Quote:
Utility-Type vehicles (UTVs) are defined as Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs), which are generally used for maintenance, hunting or recreation. They are required to be titled but may not be driven on public roads.

My bad. When I dig a little deeper, here is the section on UTV's or ROV's. I'll have to do some checking on my title.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad] #6271006 04/22/16 12:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
ATVs have had to be titled since 1985 in TX. UTVs since 2009 - they were treated like golf-carts (no title required) for a while but that changed.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6272253 04/23/16 10:33 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
That is bad information Dan.
Just google "Texas ATV title requirements".

While that may be the law, I feel safe saying many owners never title their ATV's. When I went to the local tax office to get a title for my 97 Bayou, the clerk wasn't even aware it was possible.

If a person has no intention of riding their ATV on public land, why pay the state twice to ride it on your own land. It equates to getting a title for a jon boat to fish your own tank. And so long as you keep the bill of sale from the dealer, you have all the evidence you need to prove ownership should someone lie that you stole it.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad] #6273269 04/24/16 03:30 PM
M
mley1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I purchased my Honda 450 in 2000, and got a certificate of origin with the contract papers. I never titled it, and I eventually lost the certificate in a move somehow. I recently sold it to a young fella, and provided a bill of sale with all pertinent information for him. I've done that on a couple of other older ATV's as well. I've never had any trouble from it. And, I've NEVER been stopped just so a LEO could check my ATV's on the trailer for being stolen. I've never had any trouble at all.

Thanks,

Marty
Re: ATV Title Question [Re: krmitchell] #6273580 04/24/16 09:51 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Head out IH20 at dove or deer season and see................

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: ATV Title Question [Re: hoof n wings] #6274825 04/25/16 09:15 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings

Again, what is the probably cause to pull someone over to check their ATV? (I'm not trying to start an argument but just asking)

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: krmitchell] #6275101 04/26/16 01:07 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Again, what is the probably cause to pull someone over to check their ATV? (I'm not trying to start an argument but just asking)

So many flaws in the earlier statement.

The title requirement was designed to make it more difficult for thieves to sell stolen ATV's, plain and simple. So long as the seller can provide a legal COO or title with the serial number, even if from a previous owner, I would have no problem buying it.

Perhaps someone can post the fine for not registering an ATV. I'll doubt you'll find one.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad] #6275125 04/26/16 01:21 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Do All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) need to be registered at the county tax assessors/collectors office before being used at OHV venues located on the public lands of Texas?

No, ATV registration is no longer required in Texas. Under the provisions of HB3849, TxDOT would no longer register all-terrain vehicles (ATV) for off-highway use; and the $6 registration fee and $6 ATV safety fee would no longer be collected. Titles for ATVs and Motorcycles can still be obtained at your local county tax assessor/collectors office.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/texas-off-highway-program/faqs-about-the-texas-ohv-program

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: krmitchell] #6275281 04/26/16 03:05 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

A DPS guy can pull you over for anything. Just like I stated earlier, I got pulled over because he said my license plate on my truck was to dirty and couldn't make it out, even though he was sitting in the dark on the other side of the road. So when I went by, he had to make a U turn and get behind me, in which I was pulling a trailer with my ATV on it. There is no way he could see it. But he had a GW riding with him. Once I got pulled over and he checked my drivers license, it was all the GW from there!!!

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad] #6275400 04/26/16 11:48 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
The only reason states want you to title it is so they can get more money from you. Pretty soon they will tell you that you need to license it for off road use.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: krmitchell] #6281385 04/30/16 05:40 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

I have been stop twice by DPS betwwen Ozona and Barhart. First time I was not ready with paper work. I had to fax paper work to county court clerk. second time I was ready with title and was gone in no time. The only reason I was stop both times was I had a new 4 wheeler. I If it was me I would pass on it with out a title. I think you are asking for problems.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6281542 04/30/16 08:33 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Do All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) need to be registered at the county tax assessors/collectors office before being used at OHV venues located on the public lands of Texas?

No, ATV registration is no longer required in Texas. Under the provisions of HB3849, TxDOT would no longer register all-terrain vehicles (ATV) for off-highway use; and the $6 registration fee and $6 ATV safety fee would no longer be collected. Titles for ATVs and Motorcycles can still be obtained at your local county tax assessor/collectors office.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/texas-off-highway-program/faqs-about-the-texas-ohv-program

Your earlier post incorrectly stated that ATVs and UTVs are not required to be titled. This is wrong.

This post is about an entirely different subject - registration. There is no registration requirement for off-road use.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad] #6282632 05/01/16 11:30 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
NP, I am sure you are right, you are the law expert here. I can only state that ATV dealerships do it differently. Having had many over the years (including small trailers), they generally only title them when there is a loan/note. The only ones I have had titles for new, were the one I financed and the ones I have bought from others that had been financed.

That said, I'll ask for one in the future.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: TGalyon1] #6287004 05/04/16 08:44 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: TGalyon1

I have been stop twice by DPS betwwen Ozona and Barhart. First time I was not ready with paper work. I had to fax paper work to county court clerk. second time I was ready with title and was gone in no time. The only reason I was stop both times was I had a new 4 wheeler. I If it was me I would pass on it with out a title. I think you are asking for problems.

So they let you go but you had to fax paperwork or they confiscated it? I don't know of anyone that carries their ATV title with them since you aren't required to by law. I'm just a little confused on what the situation was you encountered.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 05/04/16 08:45 PM.
Re: ATV Title Question [Re: krmitchell] #6287595 05/05/16 03:25 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TGalyon1

So they let you go but you had to fax paperwork or they confiscated it? I don't know of anyone that carries their ATV title with them since you aren't required to by law. I'm just a little confused on what the situation was you encountered.
All they had to do was run the VIN#. Having to fax some paper work sounds like they were just jacking you around.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: sqiggy] #6287738 05/05/16 11:32 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Anyone with common sense is going to keep the title for ANY vehicle at home in a safe place. And even IF the law dictated a fine for not having a title for an ATV, all a LEO can "legally" do is issue you a citation if there is no record of it being stolen.

The earlier reports of people being stopped just doesn't pass the smell test. If such a thing were to happen to me, I would be contacting the District Attorney the next business day.

Re: ATV Title Question [Re: Texas Dan] #6288065 05/05/16 03:02 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Anyone with common sense is going to keep the title for ANY vehicle at home in a safe place. And even IF the law dictated a fine for not having a title for an ATV, all a LEO can "legally" do is issue you a citation if there is no record of it being stolen.

The earlier reports of people being stopped just doesn't pass the smell test. If such a thing were to happen to me, I would be contacting the District Attorney the next business day.

I believe that people were getting stopped but you last sentence is what I found lacking from those statements. As gung ho as people here are about rights, etc, if I was being harassed (yes that is what it is) I wouldn't just let it go. Probably cause is just that, you can't just sit there and pull over every person because they have an ATV without some cause. I can sometimes see how a GW could skirt this by saying he was checking your license/bag limits, etc after watching you leave a hunting area but other than that it sounds like a complete abuse.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 05/05/16 03:03 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide