Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: kry226] #6245233 04/02/16 12:19 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kry226
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
If you just upgrade the trigger a 500 dollar AR is at or close to a 700 dollar AR. Add in a better stock, free float hand guard, back up iron sights and you over a grand. Prob why everyone wants a grand for their custom built AR haha.

You could do that but it's still just a piece of crap $500 gun.

How come? Lower quality barrel?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6245274 04/02/16 01:06 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
People have different views of what is crap, because they expect different things.
For me, my AR-15's are utility guns.

I'm very happy with my original M&P 15 Sport's with the 1:8 5R Melonite lined barrels. For $550 to $600 each, they do what I want them to and never skip a beat.

They obviously don't meet the needs of someone buying a custom rig, but they go bang every time - and they can out shoot me as far as accuracy.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Kurth; 04/02/16 11:49 PM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: J.G.] #6245352 04/02/16 02:25 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: kry226
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
If you just upgrade the trigger a 500 dollar AR is at or close to a 700 dollar AR. Add in a better stock, free float hand guard, back up iron sights and you over a grand. Prob why everyone wants a grand for their custom built AR haha.

You could do that but it's still just a piece of crap $500 gun.

How come? Lower quality barrel?

They are called commodity guns in the industry. The barrel is just one cheaper aspect.
Due to the huge amount of companies that started making parts during the rush of 2013 there is a big overstock of these parts available. Basically the cheap guns are built from parts coming from the cheapest builder of the part. Unlike mainline or top end guns these may use several makers for a single part. Also on higher end guns the barrels are chrome lined while the cheap guns use plain chrome moly barrels.
Also these guns may have parts missing that are on top end guns. Dust covers, extra mags.
Usually they are good enough guns for the guy that wants a reliable AR. If you want a super accurate one with a good trigger you will gave to upgrade.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6245783 04/02/16 11:54 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
so. . . .a barrel that's not plated
or otherwise untreated, just rifled,
isn't as good as one that is ?

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6245814 04/03/16 12:17 AM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Methinks Huntwest is just a little miffed that he paid $2600 for a LaRue or Noveske to find out it's not quite worth every dollar.

Sure, they're high quality and all, but he's definitely exaggerating how poor $500 ARs are. They substitute things like melonited barrels for chrome-lined, use standard delta-ring handguards instead of FF rails, barrels are made from lower-quality steels, etc. But none of these will matter for the average shooter. 99% of people will never shoot out a chrome-lined barrel OR a melonited one. Probably 80% of shooters aren't going to be doing the kind of shooting where a FF handguard will actually adversely affect their accuracy. A good majority will never notice the difference between an MPI bolt and just a regular old carpenter steel bolt.

Fact is, a $500 AR is probably still going to be a fantastic gun. I ran my cheapo PSA 11.5" melonited barrel in a carbine match today and got 5th out of 39 shooters! For my purposes, having a gun that will reduce my groups by .5" at 100 yards is far less important than the fact that my gun sways far more than that while I'm moving or even just staying still after running.

Besides, where else are you going to find something that will dispense 30 rounds of "[censored] you" in a short period of time reliably with reasonable accuracy for $500? Nowhere. Spending $2100 more on an AR doesn't really make it any better at that.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 04/03/16 12:17 AM.
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HicksHunter] #6245862 04/03/16 01:21 AM
T
T Bone Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: HicksHunter
he's definitely exaggerating how poor $500 ARs are

He didn't knock $500 AR's.. Just explained why they're not $1500 AR's & even finished with this:

Originally Posted By: huntwest
Usually they are good enough guns for the guy that wants a reliable AR.

confused2

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HicksHunter] #6245938 04/03/16 02:35 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
N
Methinks Huntwest is just a little miffed that he paid $2600 for a LaRue or Noveske to find out it's not quite worth every dollar.

Sure, they're high quality and all, but he's definitely exaggerating how poor $500 ARs are. They substitute things like melonited barrels for chrome-lined, use standard delta-ring handguards instead of FF rails, barrels are made from lower-quality steels, etc. But none of these will matter for the average shooter. 99% of people will never shoot out a chrome-lined barrel OR a melonited one. Probably 80% of shooters aren't going to be doing the kind of shooting where a FF handguard will actually adversely affect their accuracy. A good majority will never notice the difference between an MPI bolt and just a regular old carpenter steel bolt.

Fact is, a $500 AR is probably still going to be a fantastic gun. I ran my cheapo PSA 11.5" melonited barrel in a carbine match today and got 5th out of 39 shooters! For my purposes, having a gun that will reduce my groups by .5" at 100 yards is far less important than the fact that my gun sways far more than that while I'm moving or even just staying still after running.

Besides, where else are you going to find something that will dispense 30 rounds of "[censored] you" in a short period of time reliably with reasonable accuracy for $500? Nowhere. Spending $2100 more on an AR doesn't really make it any better at that.

I'm not miffed and did not not say they are not good guns. I simply explained the lower priced ARs and why they are lower priced. I do not have any of the guns you speak if either I don't have an AR 15 that costs over 1000.00.
How about the fact that I actually work for an AR company and have worked for several in the past 20 years? Dang I was at a major AR manufacturers plant 2 weeks ago. The one I work for.
It is simple really, an over Abundance of parts causes lower prices. Some of the cheap guns are great guns. But None of them have good triggers, none of them have chrome lined barrels, none of them use high quality name brand furniture. There is nothing wrong with a chrome moly barrel, most blued bolt actions use one. They simply cost a lot less to build. I did not state anywhere in my post that these guns were not dependable.
I sell a ton of the lower cost ARs every year and never have a problem.

Last edited by huntwest; 04/03/16 02:38 AM.
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HicksHunter] #6246006 04/03/16 03:55 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Yes it does to me. You could offer me five of yours for my one Wilson Combat and I would laugh at your offer. Let me know where the next shoot is and I'll bet you a case of beer you don't out shoot me with that $500 AR. You will drop out of contention once we get out to 400 yards and you will be crying in your beer when I'm hitting steel at 800 and you are still trying for the 400 yard target. Spending 2100 more definitely makes mine better than yours to me.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6246073 04/03/16 11:29 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
AR-snobs are like caliber snobs only different

Pass the gravy.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: GasGuzzler] #6246128 04/03/16 01:50 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: GasGuzzler

ARs are no different than vehicles. They all get you from point A to point B. But theres a big difference in riding in a Dodge vs a Ferrari. People generally support what they own, whether its a $500 frankenAR or a $2500 Larue or Noveske.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6246135 04/03/16 01:56 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Yes it does to me. You could offer me five of yours for my one Wilson Combat and I would laugh at your offer. Let me know where the next shoot is and I'll bet you a case of beer you don't out shoot me with that $500 AR. You will drop out of contention once we get out to 400 yards and you will be crying in your beer when I'm hitting steel at 800 and you are still trying for the 400 yard target. Spending 2100 more definitely makes mine better than yours to me.

Spending the extra money probably does make it better, but not always to a level that is commensurate with its price. My point was that for the average person, a $500 AR will do just about everything they want it to. They aren't substandard, they're perfectly adequate for most shooters. And until you start trying to push the AR platform into what it probably isn't ideal for, the cheap AR will do just fine against its more expensive cohorts.

A $2000+ WC AR used for long range kind of strikes me as putting lipstick on a square peg in a round hole. Without even dropping optics on there, you've already spent so much to do what a bolt gun could do at half the price. I'm not going to argue that ARs are inherently inaccurate, because high-end manufacturers have proven that it can be taken to very competitive extremes, but the amount of money that you have to spend to get it there is unacceptable to me.

And just to keep the game going, I've gone out to 500 yards with my little SBR. Not 800 since we don't have that sort of range out here, but 500 was easy enough. And although I'm not .mil, anyone that had to qualify with the AR would laugh at you implying 400 is impossible. Don't they have to shoot out to 600 just to qualify?

Last edited by HicksHunter; 04/03/16 01:58 PM.
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: GasGuzzler] #6246139 04/03/16 01:59 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: GasGuzzler

...well played. up

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/03/16 02:00 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HicksHunter] #6246152 04/03/16 02:15 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Spending the extra money probably does make it better, but not always to a level that is commensurate with its price. My point was that for the average person, a $500 AR will do just about everything they want it to. They aren't substandard, they're perfectly adequate for most shooters. And until you start trying to push the AR platform into what it probably isn't ideal for, the cheap AR will do just fine against its more expensive cohorts.

A $2000+ WC AR used for long range kind of strikes me as putting lipstick on a square peg in a round hole. Without even dropping optics on there, you've already spent so much to do what a bolt gun could do at half the price. I'm not going to argue that ARs are inherently inaccurate, because high-end manufacturers have proven that it can be taken to very competitive extremes, but the amount of money that you have to spend to get it there is unacceptable to me.

And just to keep the game going, I've gone out to 500 yards with my little SBR. Not 800 since we don't have that sort of range out here, but 500 was easy enough. And although I'm not .mil, anyone that had to qualify with the AR would laugh at you implying 400 is impossible. Don't they have to shoot out to 600 just to qualify?

So you shoot a $500 SBR? I've never ran across a mil spec SBR for that price.

Never said impossible, but how many tries to hit with a $500 AR? What size target, doubt it would be a 12 inch or smaller. Long range bolt guns are generally much heavier than my Wilson Combat. We can go much lower in price range and I'll still have a rifle that I enjoy shooting more for the extra money it cost me. An example:

My 6.8 upper(Wilson) I use on my Adams Arms lower. I could of bought a mil spec for less than half the price.
I shot that upper out to 700. That is worth the extra money to me for the extra amount of fun it gives me.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/03/16 02:25 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: TexFlip] #6246208 04/03/16 03:11 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: KRoyal
This is what my 7 safes looks like for when the time comes to be a billionaire

Not sure if sim guns will go up in value. confused2

Haha I was several beers deep when I posted that. I had forgotten I even posted it until I was skimming through and saw my signature. bang yea sim guns will most definitely not get me there.

[Linked Image]

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6246283 04/03/16 04:51 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H

$200 for the upper, $80 for the BCG, $180 for the lower, and $60 for the red dot. $520 altogether. I threw a new trigger in there because I'm a bit of a sucker for a good one, but I wasn't really limited by the old GI trigger. Counting the trigger, I'm at around $700 total. At that range with the red dot, I was hitting maybe 50% of my shots. 300 yards and in, I'm pretty dang close to 100% on 12" mini silhouettes.

I'm not going to pretend that it's an ideal setup for shooting out that far, but most people try it once, say that cheap ARs can't do it, and instead spend way more money than is actually necessary.

And sure, extreme long range bolt guns are usually pretty heavy, but with a barrel swap on a stock Remington 700 or Savage 10, you've got a gun that will ring steel at long distances all day at 1/2 the cost of an equally accurate AR. Military Arms Channel on Youtube did a great series called "1000 yards for $1000" that really drives home the capability differences between bolt guns and ARs.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6246301 04/03/16 05:17 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
AR ownership is subjective! Buy or Build what you can afford. In the end you will learn what does and does not work for you!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6246331 04/03/16 05:40 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
As with anything else, there is a point of diminishing returns. It seems to be closer to the $1000 mark on the AR platform in 5.56. Some "upgrades" are very much worth the cost, some are purely aesthetic, and some I just don't understand.

A quality fire control group is a good upgrade to any firearm, and the AR platform is no different. The same can be said for a free-floating hand guard.

Barrels, at least for me, can be a tricky subject. I have two identical builds except barrels. One has a stainless barrel, 1-8, Wylde chamber; the other has a CHF, chrome-lined, 1-7, 5.56 chamber. The CHF barrel was a bit more expensive; but the SS Wylde is generally more accurate with 62gr and 68gr ammo.

One thing I didn't care for was milled billett upper and lower receivers. I had a couple of matched sets from S.W.A.T. and never found a benefit over quality forged receivers from Spikes, Anderson, or PSA.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: okstatefan] #6246344 04/03/16 05:59 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: okstatefan

One thing I didn't care for was milled billett upper and lower receivers. I had a couple of matched sets from S.W.A.T. and never found a benefit over quality forged receivers from Spikes, Anderson, or PSA.

A few benefits of billet lowers that Ive used:

1) No need to install trigger guard
2) Bolt catch install is a breeze and can be uninstalled just as easily
3) Rear takedown spring/detent is a breeze

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HicksHunter] #6246845 04/04/16 02:31 AM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

$200 for the upper, $80 for the BCG, $180 for the lower, and $60 for the red dot. $520 altogether. I threw a new trigger in there because I'm a bit of a sucker for a good one, but I wasn't really limited by the old GI trigger. Counting the trigger, I'm at around $700 total. At that range with the red dot, I was hitting maybe 50% of my shots. 300 yards and in, I'm pretty dang close to 100% on 12" mini silhouettes.

I'm not going to pretend that it's an ideal setup for shooting out that far, but most people try it once, say that cheap ARs can't do it, and instead spend way more money than is actually necessary.

And sure, extreme long range bolt guns are usually pretty heavy, but with a barrel swap on a stock Remington 700 or Savage 10, you've got a gun that will ring steel at long distances all day at 1/2 the cost of an equally accurate AR. Military Arms Channel on Youtube did a great series called "1000 yards for $1000" that really drives home the capability differences between bolt guns and ARs.

I was expecting you to tell me you spent more on a trigger at least if you were being honest shooting in any kind of competition. up

Looking at the pic I would say you did a great job of keeping the cost down. Myself, at my age I no longer have the eyesight to see any 12" or smaller target at 300+ yards through a cheap red dot. Lol.

I have a good friend that is active military on this forum that builds his guns that will tell you after shooting my Wilson 308 he would love to have one and can tell the difference in quality. I don't think there is as much difference in 556 because of the limitations of the caliber.

Good luck on your next shoot. Enjoyed the discussion. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6246932 04/04/16 04:35 AM
H
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Enjoyed it too. As much as I advocate for people buying guns truly suited for different purposes, I'm 99% sure that when I have the money I'll jump on an expensive AR and use it for everything.

Have fun with that WC!

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6247159 04/04/16 02:13 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
There was a commercial on the radio advertising $499 AR's as long as they lasted. You would also get free CHL course and free range time as long as you bought ammo there too. This was a place in Alvarado.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6247282 04/04/16 03:39 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I'd drive to Alvarado for that deal.

My thoughts on the whole topic (not that it matters, nor do I own an AR): Some people want one to burn through lead as fast as possible, some want them to hit a 12" steel target at 1000 yards. Either way, there's plenty poison from which to pick, and I'm just happy we're all shooting.

That said, I will own one but I can guarantee it won't cost more than $700 and that's just bc I can't afford it. If it can kill more than one pig (zombie, etc) at a time I'll be happy. soap flag

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: HuntnFly67] #6247784 04/04/16 09:56 PM
M
MarkieMark Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Your not getting much for $500 bucks, I think you get what you pay for with ar-15s. Yes the market prices are down for a lot of low end rifles, the high end still hold there values.

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: MarkieMark] #6248031 04/05/16 01:01 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: MarkieMark
Your not getting much for $500 bucks, I think you get what you pay for with ar-15s. Yes the market prices are down for a lot of low end rifles, the high end still hold there values.

Nope... not much at all... confused2

AC-15 5.56 Mid length

Re: AR Prices - what gives? [Re: cyphertext] #6248040 04/05/16 01:06 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: cyphertext
Originally Posted By: MarkieMark

Nope... not much at all... confused2

AC-15 5.56 Mid length
Crappy hand guard, crappy front sight, crappy buttstock and pistol grip. Id rather have a stock Ruger 10/22

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide