Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,371
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6193197 02/21/16 06:48 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I think the point of the original post is that there is only so much you can do to an AR. I don't see any real craftsmanship in them, and a "custom" AR is a joke. It's assembled out of parts. The same goes for a Glock.

Don't get me wrong, I like an AR just as much as the next guy, but the personality of any AR is lacking when compared to a classy, walnut and blued rifle.

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 02/21/16 06:59 PM.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6193207 02/21/16 06:55 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I remember a rodeo with pigs one night a few years back when I would love to have had an AR in my hands rather than my bolt gun in 6-284. Cast had his AR and was out there on the other side of the truck blasting away with an Eotech he had not zeroed at the range. He had a hell of a good time though, defending our position from being overrun by communist pigs. We were literally surrounded!
rofl

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6193214 02/21/16 07:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
As usual, the point is missed.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6193224 02/21/16 07:12 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I love the AR platform because my wife and I shoot rifles left-handed and both of our sons shoot right handed. It's a very simple platform for ambidextrous controls. On the contrary, my son's have their right hand bolt rifles and I have my left hand bolt rifle. When one of the boys says, "dad, I want to use the .308"; I know he isn't talking about my Savage.

I'm also not a huge fan of wood stocks, and I've been a woodworker for over thirty years. Wood is unstable and easily damaged by changes in temperature, humidity, and can easily suffer from cosmetic damage.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6193228 02/21/16 07:16 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Now that FJG has "outted" me...I guess I need to change my screen name to Old Grumpies 'cause I fit lots of the profile he described as being out of date...and hope to being able to use a Type II year round within 40 miles of the new place to hone my Old School skills, carrying a T3 260 under a modern scope, or at least a pre Rem'lin Marlin 22lr BA for tree rats...mebbe even using the original ramp & blade iron sights until I can find a 452 CZ Silhoutte to put a new 4x12x50,A/O on.

Need to find a 600+ yard range though somewhere 1/2 way 'tween Dallas & Houston off I-45 after the upcoming move next month to Anderson County, to stretch the legs on the Tikka, or mebbe the Blue/Wood M70 Whizzum.

But I still like the idea of spending more time shooting at Silhoutte targets, standing on your hind legs, off hand, out to 500 yards, restricted to a sporter weight gun and medium sized weight aka magnifiction scope, and believe shooting a steady diet of classic style & sized Silhoutte targets would generate more folks with upgraded accurate Hunting Skills, than shooting at known or standard sized steel targets from prone at double the max Silhouette distance .... as I keep remembering Inspector Dirty Harry Callahan's admonition that "a man MUST know his limitations" ...but that movie came out back in my day when the Good Guy was shooting a 6 round Wheel Gun too.

Oh well, back to the soda fountain at Schrafts Pharmacy I guess to pick on the TactiCool crowd....
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6193247 02/21/16 07:34 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Save a stool for me, Ron.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: RiverRider] #6193252 02/21/16 07:38 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I hate to disappoint you JG, but I don't see a point to argue here.

And JG, you are simply stating your opinion, which has no more value here than that of anyone else. We don't all have to be enamored by the same things.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: WileyCoyote] #6193292 02/21/16 08:14 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It was just a joke, Ron. I wasn't trying to out anyone.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Choctaw] #6193294 02/21/16 08:16 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I hate to disappoint you JG, but I don't see a point to argue here.

And JG, you are simply stating your opinion, which has no more value here than that of anyone else. We don't all have to be enamored by the same things.

That is exactly my point!

Some guys are enamored by ARs, some are not. Let be the guys that are.

I'll write again, that I am not enamored by them, but I do see them as being another useful tool in the toolbox. And they do in fact work well to hunt with. I prefer a bolt action, but see the value in an AR.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: tth_40] #6193295 02/21/16 08:17 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: tth_40
I love my bolt actions, especially the much older ones. AR type rifles have their place,
At least (at present) we still have the freedom to choose pretty much what we want. Hopefully we can keep it that way.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6193500 02/21/16 11:43 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
I think the point of the original post is that there is only so much you can do to an AR. I don't see any real craftsmanship in them, and a "custom" AR is a joke. It's assembled out of parts. The same goes for a Glock.

Don't get me wrong, I like an AR just as much as the next guy, but the personality of any AR is lacking when compared to a classy, walnut and blued rifle.

And what's a "custom" $5000 bolt action assembled from? Machined action, trigger, bolt knob, barrel, muzzle brake, stock, base, rings, scope... all parts from different companies. How is that so much different than a "custom" AR assembled from parts.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Toxarch] #6193590 02/22/16 12:47 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

And what's a "custom" $5000 bolt action assembled from? Machined action, trigger, bolt knob, barrel, muzzle brake, stock, base, rings, scope... all parts from different companies. How is that so much different than a "custom" AR assembled from parts.

The difference is that any idiot with a workbench can build a rock solid, accurate AR. In a bolt gun, at least SOME machining and fitting is required.

Just because I swapped my handguard, flash hider, and trigger does not make my AR "custom". Likewise, installing a Magpul stock on a 700 doesn't make it "custom."

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6193661 02/22/16 01:41 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
An AR is just not the best hunting gun - period. It was not designed to be and cannot be made to be. I'm all for folks having fun and playing with them and enjoying them. That's cool. I have one myself and it's a hoot to shoot.

But it's obvious the KoolAid has been drunk when so many come on here touting ARs whenever a hunting rifle recommendation is sought. They are fun to have when you get into a sounder of hogs - but that's about it. For every other hunting application another choice is better.

I especially cringe when I see kids being forced to deal with a clunky AR pushed upon them to hunt with.

What's the difference? Any rifle that shoots a big enough round accurate enough is a great hunting rifle.

What do you need for a good hunting rifle? A good barrel, trigger, and optic set in a stock that you can shoot comfortably. Both can be accomplished regardless of platform. My AR's outshoot most bolt actions and single shots I come across.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: J.G.] #6193672 02/22/16 01:49 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
An AR is just not the best hunting gun - period. It was not designed to be and cannot be made to be. I'm all for folks having fun and playing with them and enjoying them. That's cool. I have one myself and it's a hoot to shoot.

But it's obvious the KoolAid has been drunk when so many come on here touting ARs whenever a hunting rifle recommendation is sought. They are fun to have when you get into a sounder of hogs - but that's about it. For every other hunting application another choice is better.

I especially cringe when I see kids being forced to deal with a clunky AR pushed upon them to hunt with.

I'm a bigger fan of bolt actions but those statements are simply your opinion and not to be misconstrued into pure fact.

I agree they are the best hot sounder gun. But they are just fine for stalking and killing deer and coyotes. They were designed to hunt men, lest ye forget. Go back in history and see all the battle rifles that made fine hunting rifles. 1903, M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14, and now the rifle in question. If they didn't work, people wouldn't use them. Name me one more complete rifle that the average guy can order 95% of the parts, have them delivered in the brown truck, and assemble them in his garage with less than $100 invested in special tools. The Savage rifle is close, but I've got my own issues with it.

Trust upon a kid? I personally won't put an AR in the hands of my kids until they are in their late teens, they will master the bolt action first. But I can understand why so many guys hand ARe to their kids simply due to the adjustable length of pull on the stock.

The AR is not usually to my acceptable level of accuracy, but I am spoiled to custom barreled bolt actions that shoot tiny. But let's compare former acceptable level of accuracy 30 years ago working backward in history. Many, many hunters were satisfied with the ability to put three rounds in a pie plate at 100 or 200 yards. Today's ARe will shoot well smaller than that as a general rule. My LR 308 ended up putting five rounds inside 2 3/4" at 300 yards, and it is a mass produced rifle, not a custom.

Which leads me to the next reply. Those of you old grumpies complaining about the way things are going today are also forgetting how performance has drastically improved in rifles, ammo, loading components, and scopes. The average Joe now has the technology available to him to put together a scoped rifle, make a hand load for it, and shoot very small, very far out. Our general acceptable level of accuracy, as hunters, has drastically shrank. Thank God for smart men that aspire to improve products. And other men that figure out how to use them to those products' full potential.

I like this.

I've never seen a bolt gun that cost the same as any of my AR's shoot as good though.

I do have quite the eclectic collection though. My other two favorite rifle are my Marlin .308 ME and the Remington 798 in 30-06. I don't shoot them as much because I'm really into pushing the limits of the black rifles right now. That said, if I could pick only one rifle to trek through the mountains with for a week it'd be my lever action.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: tenyearsgone] #6193682 02/22/16 01:53 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

What's the difference? Any rifle that shoots a big enough round accurate enough is a great hunting rifle.

What do you need for a good hunting rifle? A good barrel, trigger, and optic set in a stock that you can shoot comfortably. Both can be accomplished regardless of platform. My AR's outshoot most bolt actions and single shots I come across.

I agree, although I am not a huge fan of a .223 or 300 BO for deer. I know plenty have been killed with both calibers, but I like a little more punch in case of a marginal shot.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6193690 02/22/16 01:57 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

I agree, although I am not a huge fan of a .223 or 300 BO for deer. I know plenty have been killed with both calibers, but I like a little more punch in case of a marginal shot.

6.8 my friend.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: tenyearsgone] #6193699 02/22/16 02:02 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I may end up with a 6.8 some day.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6193701 02/22/16 02:03 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I've taken several large animals with mine. The biggest was a red deer.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: tenyearsgone] #6193703 02/22/16 02:04 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

I've never seen a bolt gun that cost the same as any of my AR's shoot as good though.

On the Bizzarro world, maybe.

Here on planet Earth, economy bolt guns typically shoot much, much better than "economy" AR's that generally cost at least a hundred dollars more.

A Mossberg Patriot for example will be significantly more accurate than the less expensive AR's.

Same thing with the Ruger American, Savage Axis, etc.. MUCH better than the low-end AR's in the accuracy department.

Dollar for dollar, a bolt gun will out-shoot an AR. Sorry, but your statement was so out there that I had to shoot it down. Nothing personal.

Just the unvarnished truth.

Last edited by charlesb; 02/22/16 02:06 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: charlesb] #6193761 02/22/16 02:43 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I said "I've never seen one", not that they don't. What I said is truth because it's been my experience. You're also talking about only budget AR's. I caught that.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: tenyearsgone] #6193768 02/22/16 02:51 AM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
[/quote]

6.8 my friend. [/quote]

I'm really considering trading off my 300BO for a 6.8 upper. I am a bit hesitant to part with it, as it is an excellent quality build (original AAC). However, I don't shoot suppressed and I have a .357 lever action that meets MOST of the abilities of the 300BO.

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: okstatefan] #6193909 02/22/16 05:03 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: okstatefan
[/quote]

6.8 my friend.

I'm really considering trading off my 300BO for a 6.8 upper. I am a bit hesitant to part with it, as it is an excellent quality build (original AAC). However, I don't shoot suppressed and I have a .357 lever action that meets MOST of the abilities of the 300BO. [/quote]

6.8 is good but will take the 6.5 Grendel any day. Gotta agree though inside 125 yards I am as comfortable with the 357 Leveraction as any other gun I own

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: tenyearsgone] #6194208 02/22/16 02:53 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I said "I've never seen one", not that they don't. What I said is truth because it's been my experience. You're also talking about only budget AR's. I caught that.

Yes, I did make an effort to compare apples with apples.

I'm glad that you caught that.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6194209 02/22/16 02:53 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I love

They are both excellent hunting tools. But totally different and having both expands my hunting enjoyment and capabilities.

I love my 2 set ups for their own unique capabilities. Everybody hunts differently and needs to buy the tools they need not what their friend on the internet need.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 02/22/16 02:56 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Just read through a July 2001 Guns & Ammo mag and not a single article on ARs - nice!!! [Re: Bigfoot] #6194549 02/22/16 06:25 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I love

They are both excellent hunting tools. But totally different and having both expands my hunting enjoyment and capabilities.

I love my 2 set ups for their own unique capabilities. Everybody hunts differently and needs to buy the tools they need not what their friend on the internet need.

But I get all my advice from the internet! Especially legal and gun advice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide