Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6183144 02/14/16 07:28 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If what Jeff said is true, the kid is toast.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: John Humbert] #6183165 02/14/16 07:59 PM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Photo taken a few miles from my house, (I did not take photo). Love to hear them/see them flying overhead, but doesn't happen very often. They are few and far between.

That is an awesome picture

that is one rare photo!

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6183585 02/15/16 02:12 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Wonder if Whooping Crane tastes better than California Condor.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6183990 02/15/16 02:19 PM
T
TxHunter80 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
This happened within about 30 miles of where I live. From what I have heard, he shot the cranes from a road on private property with a rifle after he was told they were whooping cranes. The story I got was he and a buddy saw them and he came back later and shot them. Supposedly, this isn't his first run in with game violations. There was no sandhill crane season open when this occurred. I don't know the kid but he has a reputation for this type of thing. I am not of the opinion that they should lock him up forever. However, I do think a little jail time (30 days maybe), loss of all hunting rights, and a very large fine would give him more respect for the law and the animals he enjoys poaching. From all accounts, the shooting of these cranes was not a mistake or an accident.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6184007 02/15/16 02:31 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
It's acts like this that give hunting a bad name. This is not the pioneer days any more, and these guys that just keep shooting everything that moves need to be stopped. If we don't stop them, the anti-hunters will just keep gaining influence. I did a lot of stupid things when I was 18, so I don't want to see the kid's life messed up, but he did the crime, so he has to pay the price. Teach him a lesson.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6511907 10/26/16 02:37 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Did I hear that this guy got probation?

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6511940 10/26/16 02:56 AM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Looks like it. Lost his right to hunt in the US and own firearms and ammunition as well.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/10/25/texas...gets-probation/

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6511972 10/26/16 03:14 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
We as hunters are gradually slipping into the minority. Our beloved pastime is increasingly under attack from the non-hunting (majority) public. A public that looks at us a blood thirsty barbarians. These people were raised on Disney films that portray hunters as evil and cruel, destroying animal families. They make no distinction between poachers and sportsmen. We're all equally deranged and evil in their minds.

So this sort of thing reflects badly on all of us. Nothing we say or do can separate us from poachers in their minds. Perception is reality, period. So when a "hunter" commits such an act we should all denounce the behavior and support prosecution to fullest extent, lest we give more fodder to the anti's. This young man not only tarnished himself, but each of us, sadly.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: MacDaddy21] #6511983 10/26/16 03:22 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Looks like it. Lost his right to hunt in the US and own firearms and ammunition as well.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/10/25/texas...gets-probation/

This article states something different but both are unclear.

In this one it says "A magistrate also ordered the 19-year-old Beaumont man to pay nearly $26,000 in restitution, barred Frederick from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition and prohibited him from hunting or fishing in the U.S. for the next five years."

http://kxan.com/2016/10/25/texan-who-killed-2-endangered-whooping-cranes-gets-probation/

This article says that he is prohibited from possessing weapons and hunting as part of his probation so after that he can do both.

http://www.12newsnow.com/mb/news/local/b...ranes/341595681

Last edited by rexmitchell; 10/26/16 03:29 AM.
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6511993 10/26/16 03:31 AM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
That is unfortunate. I recall reading some articles a few years ago about some poachers shooting deer out of season that lost their right to hunt for the rest of their lives.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6512408 10/26/16 02:44 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I feel like the last time someone shot a whooping crane the fine was like 80K or something ridiculously expensive.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: LandPirate] #6512491 10/26/16 03:30 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
We as hunters are gradually slipping into the minority. Our beloved pastime is increasingly under attack from the non-hunting (majority) public. A public that looks at us a blood thirsty barbarians. These people were raised on Disney films that portray hunters as evil and cruel, destroying animal families. They make no distinction between poachers and sportsmen. We're all equally deranged and evil in their minds.

So this sort of thing reflects badly on all of us. Nothing we say or do can separate us from poachers in their minds. Perception is reality, period. So when a "hunter" commits such an act we should all denounce the behavior and support prosecution to fullest extent, lest we give more fodder to the anti's. This young man not only tarnished himself, but each of us, sadly.

Schools should start teaching "Food Ed" classes similar to Sex Ed. Make them watch video of chickens, turkeys, cows, pigs, and sheep/lambs being processed at the slaughterhouse so they'll know where their Chicken McNuggets and Big Macs come from. I bet that'll stop some of the anti-hunter nonsense.

lol..... probably be a hell of a lot more vegetarians too. And youth counseling.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: LandPirate] #6512529 10/26/16 03:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

+1.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6512564 10/26/16 04:03 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
In this one it says "A magistrate also ordered the 19-year-old Beaumont man to pay nearly $26,000 in restitution, barred Frederick from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition and prohibited him from hunting or fishing in the U.S. for the next five years."

Odds are that he will be a repeat offender, likely during the probationary period.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6512565 10/26/16 04:03 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It doesn't matter. He killed two whooping cranes. He is going to pay the going price. The going price for killing two whooping cranes is high. The going price is not a secret. It has never been a secret.

Moral of this story: be d*** sure what you are shooting at before you shoot it.

There is a great responsibility that comes with pulling the trigger.

To be determined
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: dawaba] #6512667 10/26/16 04:54 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: dawaba
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
$$$$$ this one will cost. Sad deal for the whoopers

+1. A $15,000 fine and 6 mos in Federal prison will make a deep impression on an 18-yr-old. That said, the maximum sentence appears too lenient to me.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

RIP, Dawaba....Miss you, bud.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6513301 10/26/16 09:27 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
My gut tells me he won't learn a lesson, and with his history he will be right back at it!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: krmitchell] #6513308 10/26/16 09:33 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Sad Deal

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: Navasot] #6515540 10/28/16 12:29 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: dawaba
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
$$$$$ this one will cost. Sad deal for the whoopers

+1. A $15,000 fine and 6 mos in Federal prison will make a deep impression on an 18-yr-old. That said, the maximum sentence appears too lenient to me.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

I think 6 months of a mans life for killing two birds is ridiculous. Endangered or not they're still just birds.

Agreed

I agree...ASSUMING...that it was somehow accidental as in mistaking them for a Sandhill crane or something. The guy is 18 and I think must of us at that age did some pretty stupid things. So yes he need to pay but that price is too high to me and when the justice system refuses to acknowledge circumstances in giving out sentences it's no longer "justice". Animals are animals...we've got people killing people getting off with less.

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: TxHunter80] #6515543 10/28/16 12:31 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: TxHunter80
This happened within about 30 miles of where I live. From what I have heard, he shot the cranes from a road on private property with a rifle after he was told they were whooping cranes. The story I got was he and a buddy saw them and he came back later and shot them. Supposedly, this isn't his first run in with game violations. There was no sandhill crane season open when this occurred. I don't know the kid but he has a reputation for this type of thing. I am not of the opinion that they should lock him up forever. However, I do think a little jail time (30 days maybe), loss of all hunting rights, and a very large fine would give him more respect for the law and the animals he enjoys poaching. From all accounts, the shooting of these cranes was not a mistake or an accident.

If this is true they need to throw the book at him! It's one thing if it's accidental...it's another thing if it's deliberate!

Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: Deerhunter61] #6518128 10/30/16 01:43 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
If it was accidental I agree completely, in other words thought it was a Sandhill etc...

I have tried to come up with a reasonable explanation for accidentally shooting a Whooper and come up blank. There's just no excuse!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: LandPirate] #6518165 10/30/16 02:19 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Bingo! I'm really saddened to find so many younger "hunters" (and a few older ones) these days who exude an attitude that manifests itself as "Gotta Shoot Something". 2cents

Last edited by Hunt n Fish; 10/30/16 02:21 PM.

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: 2 More Whooping Cranes shot? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6519605 10/31/16 03:16 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

So this sort of thing reflects badly on all of us. Nothing we say or do can separate us from poachers in their minds. Perception is reality, period. So when a " hunter " commits such an act we should all denounce the behavior and support prosecution to fullest extent, lest we give more fodder to the anti's. This young man not only tarnished himself, but each of us, sadly.

Bingo! I'm really saddened to find so many younger "hunters" (and a few older ones) these days who exude an attitude that manifests itself as "Gotta Shoot Something". 2cents

scratch hunter is a key word... flag

i'm postaddic
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide