Forums46
Topics538,313
Posts9,735,687
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124080 01/07/16 06:49 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: BLUERIBBONS
Hmmm, I just double checked the meat and all the other packages are labeled round steak. The one package is labeled deer tenders and is shaped like it was one side of the back strap cut in half. I will have to lodge my complaint and then decide where else to take my next deer and the steer I am going to have butchered next fall!

'tenders' is probably the tenderloins which will be a small amount (~1 lb)

Sure you didn't get any cuts like T-bones (that would have the backstrap in it?)
Call the processor and ask (before accusing) - maybe its packaged in there somewhere.

A deer like you described should have like 6lbs of strap, or so.

Also (important) - where did your bullet hit the deer?
U shoot it in the backbone with a 300win mag or something?

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: stxranchman] #6124086 01/07/16 06:52 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Navasot
No one ever touches my straps

Nav was like this since he was young...

roflmao

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: SniperRAB] #6124089 01/07/16 06:54 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Exactly why I haven't used a processor in years...

Plus there disgusting

Same here

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124141 01/07/16 07:16 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
...and WHERE is this place called Hiblers??? before I have to try and find it in Google!

+1 on calling the processor and asking them ??'s. Different folks do their meat different ways...but +100 on a pair of back straps on any 100+ gross weight deer should weigh 3+-6 lbs each IF you dinnit blow'em up with a bullet. Kuby's in Dallas call's 'em "back straps" on the price list.

OBTW One other thing I've always liked about Kuby's...when you check in the deer to processed, however much meat that is that goes in the tub, is what goes on the scale, and is written down on your ticket. I've not used a lot of processors aroud the state but I've never seen anyone else but Kuby's post the checkin deer weight amount written down on MY ticket.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 01/07/16 07:26 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124165 01/07/16 07:30 PM
P
PiePuncher Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I recently noticed that I was getting quite a bit more meat cleaning the deer myself. The back straps are long and when I had someone else process it, I got very little back. Yesterday, I cleaned a spike and was able to fill a gallon bag to the rim with just back strap!
With a good knife, skinning and cleaning the deer is quick.
I'm pretty sure they took one for themselves to every two pieces you got

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6124174 01/07/16 07:34 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
...and WHERE is this place called Hiblers??? before I have to try and find it in Google!

+1 on calling the processor and asking them ??'s. Different folks do their meat different ways...but +100 on a pair of back straps on any 100+ gross weight deer should weigh 3+-6 lbs each IF you dinnit blow'em up with a bullet. Kuby's in Dallas call's 'em "back straps" on the price list.

OBTW One other thing I've always liked about Kuby's...when you check in the deer to processed, however much meat that is that goes in the tub, is what goes on the scale, and is written down on your ticket. I've not used a lot of processors aroud the state but I've never seen anyone else but Kuby's post the checkin deer weight amount written down on MY ticket.
Ron

Every processor that I have ever been to documents the drop off weight on my paperwork.

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124189 01/07/16 07:42 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The reason a lot of processors (not all, but I know some that do) weigh your deer is because your meat gets pooled with all of the others. They know a 100 pound deer should give "X" amount of meat, and they grab enough to fill your ticket. And it is very unlikely that it is actually your meat.
If they did each deer individually, there is no reason to weigh it. Your deer yields your deer's meat, whatever the weight may be.

[Linked Image]

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124191 01/07/16 07:45 PM
D6Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: D6Ranch
Hmmm, I just double checked the meat and all the other packages are labeled round steak. The one package is labeled deer tenders and is shaped like it was one side of the back strap cut in half. I will have to lodge my complaint and then decide where else to take my next deer and the steer I am going to have butchered next fall!

Sounds like you got the tenderloins and no backstrap at all. Was it Hiblers?

Yes this was from Hiblers.

If you went with the standard processing you should either get hamburger or chili meat, the round steaks, tenders and backstrap. They simply didn't put the backstrap in the box, either by mistake or purposely. Also just fyi you don't get your deer just the amount of meat they determine you get from the pool. And yes they keep meat for themselves.

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124197 01/07/16 07:54 PM
R
rarjar Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: D6Ranch

Sounds like you got the tenderloins and no backstrap at all. Was it Hiblers?

Yes this was from Hiblers.

I used Hiblers for a while years ago, and early on I was very satisfied. Then some years later, I realized that I was not getting my deer back (I even asked him about that and he admitted that they simply record the weight and when it comes time to "process your deer," they simply grab an equivalent amount of deer meat that may be buck or doe). The last straw was when I took a couple of young does in for him to process and I got meat back that I ended up throwing away (tasted extremely gamey and was without a doubt old buck meat). I take great pride in taking extra care with any deer we harvest, including quartering it out in short order, keeping it clean, soaking the blood out, keeping it on ice, and draining the cooler of blood on a regular basis...I can't vouch for other hunters, and in fact have seen hunters drag a skinned deer in along the ground into their drop off cooler and then half-way wash it off with a water hose....no telling how it was handled or kept before then. Since then, I quit using them and just process it myself.

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: S.A. hunter] #6124200 01/07/16 07:55 PM
V
VMike Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
V
Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
Processing a deer yourself is a big pain in the rear. But you know what you are getting. But hell the two easiest thing to process are the back strap and the tenderloin. Pull those yourself and let the processor deal with cutting up the hams and shoulders.

My thoughts exactly

I have a deer problem on my hog lease!!!
Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124205 01/07/16 07:57 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Just so happens I shot a 3.5 year old the other day.
For a 3 1/2yr Buck the backstrap weighs 8 lbs the Tenders are another 1.5 lbs. The 4 quarters bone-in weigh 50 lbs Bone-out 30 lbs. My shot was through the chest cavity so no loss of meat. With the trimmings I will have 40 lbs of venison to make sausage with that excludes the Backstraps and Tenders. Kent Wenzel (Lone Star Meat CO.) does not charge by the deer for sausage. He charges by the pound, so I will receive 80lbs of product that is a 50/50 mix. If your anywhere near Hamilton, I highly recommend Kent.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6124364 01/07/16 09:20 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote

Ron

Bluebonnett Meats, Trenton Texas does this too, even if you leave it in cooler overnight, they call you and confirm weight first thing in the morning.

As to the OP, some processors tenderize the backstrap just like steaks then label them slightly differently. I don't want my tenderloins or backstrap tenderized, but I do like them cut into steaks (backstrap, leave the tenderloin whole).

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124365 01/07/16 09:20 PM
DrifterAT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I have an Axis buck ready for pickup at Hiblers. Sure hope I don't get whitetail deer meat instead confused

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124400 01/07/16 09:48 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Do all my own processing never once used a processor. Tremendous amount of satisfaction from it! Besides I know exactly what I'm feeding my family. For me venison and feral hog protein is expensive enough as it is without further adding to the cost.

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124527 01/07/16 11:18 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I complained about processors on a different thread... but to backstraps, the buck that supposedly only yielded 30 pounds of finished meat (I kept the backstrap at home) had straps that weighed about 16 pounds. Two smaller does, (one spine shot) produced about 10 pounds together.

Seems QUITE a bit short to me. Call and ask.

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124542 01/07/16 11:25 PM
M
MckinneyRifleHunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
You got cut short, I've turned in three deer to my processor in east texas this year and all were smaller spikes, 80-100lbs dressed and we got 30-40 lbs of meat from each deer, probably 5lbs if backstraps each.

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124592 01/08/16 12:12 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I got cut short by a processor once. I complained that I should have got more backstrap meat from my deer.
He went to the back and brought out a few more packages of meat.
I was POed, he was either holding back mine, or he just gave me someone else's meat.
That was my last trip to a processor.
It has been 15 years of doing my own now. I make my own sausage, jerky, and package it myself. And I do about 10 animals a year.

[Linked Image]

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: DrifterAT] #6124668 01/08/16 12:59 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: DrifterAT
I have an Axis buck ready for pickup at Hiblers. Sure hope I don't get whitetail deer meat instead confused

Hey Drifter, I will trade you a pack of steak and burger for a pack of axis? smile

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124671 01/08/16 01:02 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
So this was a heart\lungs shot which did not disturb the back strap. I called today and spoke to someone. They said I needed to call back and talk to the owner. I have been processing meat there for 8 years and have had excellent results on domestic hogs and steers. This was the first deer I turned into them.

thanks everyone for your input!

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6124833 01/08/16 02:29 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
save your self the hassle and just process it your self I paid one time and got took i turned in a 267b dressed dear got back 72lbs of meat back never agin no mater what we kill we process it our selfs you never get all your meat from the processes they either are in a hurry and dont take every thing they can or shoul, the keep some for them selfs or you get an other persons deer it is not hard core time consuming seeing how little the deer are here my mother in law by here self did 2 dear in an hour deboned and cut now my wife is Thai and they use every part of the animal to in cloud the back and neck bones in soups you would be sup rid how much meet in on those things I went on a disabled vet hunt and took 2 deer part of the hunt is they process the deer we will see how much we get back i am sure it is not much its not hard to do them it may seem that way but they are quite easy just 1/4 them out take the ribs with a saw take your back straps and inside the back there are to smaller straps cut your rumps off and depose the from and hired leges take a nice and get all the small pieces of meet and pick it clean

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: S.A. hunter] #6124842 01/08/16 02:33 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Processing a deer yourself is a big pain in the rear. But you know what you are getting. But hell the two easiest thing to process are the back strap and the tenderloin. Pull those yourself and let the processor deal with cutting up the hams and shoulders.

if you lived near me i would show you how to process your deer it is supper easy does not take long either

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: chemdawg] #6124853 01/08/16 02:39 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: chemdawg

if you lived near me i would show you how to process your deer it is supper easy does not take long either

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6125084 01/08/16 07:13 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Oh no I do it all myself. I just hate doing it. I started hunting 4 years ago, and have processed all 6 my deer. I'm getting better, but still far from being a pro.

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #6125297 01/08/16 02:24 PM
DrifterAT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: DrifterAT

Hey Drifter, I will trade you a pack of steak and burger for a pack of axis? smile

Heck, I'll give you some Axis when I'm out there next weekend.

Re: How much meat (lbs) should the backstrap be aproximately? [Re: TexFlip] #6126027 01/08/16 09:06 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
When I take a deer to be processed I always keep the tenders and straps. Too easy to do myself.

This is what I do

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide