N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: ddmm
So if the bones won't fit into an ice chest and you cut the meat off the bone so the meat will fit in the ice chest, it's a violation? Or is it ok as long as the bones are still around/near the boned out meat? My stupidity has confused myself.

If one has been hunting any length of time, they know how big a cooler is needed if quartering out a deer.
nidea

Something like that maybe, some people on occasion are invited to go elsewhere? Takes a pretty big ice chest to hold an entire deer. How many quart would you say that is? Since you do it all the time.

Most standard (35-40 qt.) sized ice chests will hold 4 deer quarters, straps/loins, and other meat with enough ice to get them to final destination if not going too awful far. Bigger deer may require cutting leg bones off to place where meat begins. For really big deer/mule deer they may not fit. (Guys that hunt big-bodied deer would know better than me.) Smaller chests are kind of a pain if you are not going to the final destination right away because you have to add ice regularly.

Having a little larger ice chest (50+ qt.) is much easier.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: ddmm] #6074912 12/09/15 05:53 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
So if the bones won't fit into an ice chest and you cut the meat off the bone so the meat will fit in the ice chest, it's a violation? Or is it ok as long as the bones are still around/near the boned out meat? My stupidity has confused myself.

If one has been hunting any length of time, they know how big a cooler is needed if quartering out a deer.
nidea

Theoretically (could have really happened just last weekend), hunter left big cooler at home (always forgeting something, dagnabit), no big box stores in podunk local town, located and purchased only cooler within 100s of miles, cooler too small for bones/meat/ice to fit. So instead of deboning the deer to accommodate the small cooler and stay legal, hunter resorts to the old days way when we just chunked the gutted deer over the hood and drove straight to the processor. Problem solved!

Last edited by talkturkey; 12/09/15 05:57 PM.
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: grout-scout] #6075051 12/09/15 06:54 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

nidea

Something like that maybe, some people on occasion are invited to go elsewhere? Takes a pretty big ice chest to hold an entire deer. How many quart would you say that is? Since you do it all the time.

I can put a quartered up deer in a 50qt ice chest no problem with plenty of ice.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6075070 12/09/15 06:58 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
iv fit two in a 57...

cut down both shoulders and hams at the highest knuckle and it wont be much bigger than a deboned ham

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: Navasot] #6075168 12/09/15 07:41 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Navasot
iv fit two in a 57...

cut down both shoulders and hams at the highest knuckle and it wont be much bigger than a deboned ham

I wonder if the warden would consider that waste of game if you don't cut it down to the shank? Seems like a fair amount of interpretation in the law.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6075216 12/09/15 08:11 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
IDK about yall but I've gotten past the need to save every little tough, sinew filled scrap of meat. I keep hams, shoulders(maybe), straps and tenders. Maybe the choice neck meat. I never knew all of this before now. Glad I usually hunt where I live.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: grout-scout] #6075230 12/09/15 08:20 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

nidea

I generally take our Igloo coolers, a 100 qrt. and a 50 qrt.. Never said I pack an "entire" deer, just bring home the quarters (there are 4 hince the name quarters), backstraps, tenderloins and some of the neck meat. 2 deer plus ice fit nicely in the big cooler. If I need more, make a run into town and buy what is needed.
Maybe you should pack something bigger than your lunch box....

I apologize to the OP for getting off track from your info on the ticket.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: Justin T] #6075249 12/09/15 08:44 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Justin T
Originally Posted By: Navasot
iv fit two in a 57...

I wonder if the warden would consider that waste of game if you don't cut it down to the shank? Seems like a fair amount of interpretation in the law.

Keep the legs in a bag and it can be dog food when you get home

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6075265 12/09/15 08:58 PM
J
JTS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
If you have a weekend home at the ranch is a deep freeze considered a "cold storage facility"?

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: JTS] #6075275 12/09/15 09:07 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: JTS
If you have a weekend home at the ranch is a deep freeze considered a "cold storage facility"?

It could be considered its final destination

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6075291 12/09/15 09:15 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo...g-and-taxidermy

"Cold Storage or Processing Facilities
A cold storage or processing facility may be established anywhere, including on property where hunting is conducted. It must be a stationary facility designed and constructed for the purpose of processing and/or storing game animals and game birds. A vehicle, trailer, or other type of mobile storage or processing arrangement IS NOT a stationary facility".

I'm not sure your deep freeze would meet the legal definition of a cold storage facility.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6075315 12/09/15 09:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
If your house or wherever you are is its final destination all the "cold storage facility" stuff is irrelevant.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: Texas Dan] #6075316 12/09/15 09:23 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I had no idea the law existed, much less why there would be need for it.

Sure seems to be splitting hairs to me.
Its in place to prevent folks from shooting multiple deer, processing them in camp and just using one tag from their license, been in place a long time, read your outdoor annual.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: ddmm] #6075606 12/10/15 12:30 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

nidea

I generally take our Igloo coolers, a 100 qrt. and a 50 qrt.. Never said I pack an "entire" deer, just bring home the quarters (there are 4 hince the name quarters), backstraps, tenderloins and some of the neck meat. 2 deer plus ice fit nicely in the big cooler. If I need more, make a run into town and buy what is needed.
Maybe you should pack something bigger than your lunch box....

I apologize to the OP for getting off track from your info on the ticket.

Edit: rib cage is not required. bang

Last edited by grout-scout; 12/10/15 03:46 AM.
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: grout-scout] #6075813 12/10/15 02:04 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

Yes except you aren't required to keep the ribs or neck. The TPWD website clearly states that only the quarters and backstraps (that's right, not the tenderloins) need to be kept. I'd be pulling out my phone and bringing up the app if a warden tried to ticket me for leaving the ribs, it is very clear what you have to keep.

Quote:
The four quarters and two backstraps are the only parts of a deer or pronghorn antelope required by law to be kept in edible condition.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/after-killing-a-deer

Last edited by rexmitchell; 12/10/15 02:05 AM.
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: krmitchell] #6075990 12/10/15 03:31 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Yes except you aren't required to keep the ribs or neck. The TPWD website clearly states that only the quarters and backstraps (that's right, not the tenderloins) need to be kept. I'd be pulling out my phone and bringing up the app if a warden tried to ticket me for leaving the ribs, it is very clear what you have to keep.

Quote:
The four quarters and two backstraps are the only parts of a deer or pronghorn antelope required by law to be kept in edible condition.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/after-killing-a-deer

Yep. That's it. That's all. If anyone get a ticket for waste beyond that and pays it - well that's just two people that don't know the law.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6076008 12/10/15 03:42 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Well carp, guess I need to read the manual. Doesn't really matter though, I only kill 1 deer every 2 years.

Is this a new law? I could swear I've read the book in the past and I don't recall it saying what the link above says.

Last edited by grout-scout; 12/10/15 03:45 AM.
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: grout-scout] #6076106 12/10/15 04:44 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Well carp, guess I need to read the manual. Doesn't really matter though, I only kill 1 deer every 2 years.

Is this a new law? I could swear I've read the book in the past and I don't recall it saying what the link above says.

Nope, at least not that I know of.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6076568 12/10/15 03:22 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The law has been in existence for as long as I can remember.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6076764 12/10/15 05:04 PM
J
JRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
We always bone out our deer, hard to fit 5 or 6 in our coolers. Guess no way to prove the boned out neck meat didn't come from some phantom deer quarters if the GW wanted to say so.....

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6077780 12/11/15 02:58 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I have been lucky i have not had to deal wit them in Texas or New York they could not come one privet land there with out seeing a violations or being tipped off about one. but they would fallow you and pull you over to check you out. My neighbor was telling me that about 2-3 yrs ago he got a ticket for shooting a dear that was less then 1/8 of an inch from 13in spread. i think he said the ticket was like 2500 or something like that insane. My cousins are troopers and have friends who are wardens if they want to get you the will fined something he seen a game warden write a ticket because the guys urge vest did not fasten in the front the tie was broke off. his reason the was give was has the hunter walked it cold open and someone wold not see hime clearly

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: NewGulf] #6077956 12/11/15 05:30 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: NewGulf
just another bs way to get money....whoever came up with that needs to be jackslapped

No, its not. They do this to keep guys from shooting 3 yearlings, deboning it all, getting rid of the carcasses and saying it was one big fat doe. This is a good law, it just is a little annoying to have to follow sometimes.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078034 12/11/15 12:32 PM
J
JRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Stupid law, it's not going to stop anybody that shoots 3 small does and saying it's one big fat one......"read the annual hunting regulations".......fish cops go to fish cop school to learn all the laws, then evidently apply their own interpretation of them, not sure where I study that......

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TFF Caribou] #6078037 12/11/15 12:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: NewGulf
just another bs way to get money....whoever came up with that needs to be jackslapped

No, its not. They do this to keep guys from shooting 3 yearlings, deboning it all, getting rid of the carcasses and saying it was one big fat doe. This is a good law, it just is a little annoying to have to follow sometimes.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6078229 12/11/15 02:37 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
It is an ignorant outdated law. Once I kill a deer legally it shouldn't be the states business what I do with legally procured meat.

The idea that it magically becomes copacetic as soon as it reaches a final destination makes sense only to people who need the comfort/security of a rigid set of rules that everyone must follow. Regardless of how ignorant those rules are.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide