Forums46
Topics538,075
Posts9,732,711
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6073917 12/09/15 01:27 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Prosecutor Aaron Peterson in a criminal complaint said Vail signed and backdated a big game tag record to make it appear she had purchased the tag before shooting the bear.

Also charged in the case are master guide Michael Wade Renfro, 46, and assistant guide Joseph Andrew Miller, 45.

They conspired to cover up Vail's violation by obtaining the second bear tag after the bears died and submitted wrong information to game authorities, charging documents say.

Renfro's attorney, Myron Angstman said on Monday that he had not seen the criminal complaint but was aware of the charges.

'It's an unfortunate event,' Angstman said. 'It was an accidental shooting of a second bear while a person was lawfully engaged in shooting a first bear.

'Those kinds of things happen once in a great while.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...l#ixzz3tmZmnd2n
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The shooting of the second bear was intentional, but the identification could have been accidental. That would be believable if Vail reported to authorities the mistaken transgression, but that didn't happen.

If the tag is back-dated, a dishonest act, then there is no reason to believe the shooting of the second bear was an accident as they have zero credibility if that is the case.

Quote:
Vail spoke with FOX411 in July about her Outdoor Channel show saying, "I know what I stand for, I'm proud of what I stand for."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...bear-in-alaska/

If found guilty, we will know what she stands for as well.

If all the tags were purchased and properly dated, then there is no foul.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: Western] #6073930 12/09/15 01:34 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Western
From the article

"Vail also is charged with unsworn falsification, another misdemeanor. Prosecutor Aaron Peterson in a criminal complaint said Vail signed and backdated a big game tag record to make it appear she had purchased the tag before shooting the bear.

Also charged in the case are master guide Michael Wade Renfro, 46, and assistant guide Joseph Andrew Miller, 45. They conspired to cover up Vail's violation by obtaining the second bear tag after the bears died and submitted wrong information to game authorities, charging documents say.

You do understand that these are the 'Charges/Allegations' and not the Facts (until otherwise determined)?

I mean....you aren't saying because you saw it in print on the internet, it is so? Correct?

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: flintknapper] #6073964 12/09/15 01:53 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Originally Posted By: Western
From the article

"Vail also is charged with unsworn falsification, another misdemeanor. Prosecutor Aaron Peterson in a criminal complaint said Vail signed and backdated a big game tag record to make it appear she had purchased the tag before shooting the bear.

Also charged in the case are master guide Michael Wade Renfro, 46, and assistant guide Joseph Andrew Miller, 45. They conspired to cover up Vail's violation by obtaining the second bear tag after the bears died and submitted wrong information to game authorities, charging documents say.

You do understand that these are the 'Charges/Allegations' and not the Facts (until otherwise determined)?

I mean....you aren't saying because you saw it in print on the internet, it is so? Correct?

Being former LEO, probably understand it better than you possibly, in order to bring charges, you need a sworn complaint, obviously the prosecutor enough evidence to pursue/charge. Also pretty nice sitting on testimony of the film crew and film.

"The film crew on June 3 reported to Alaska Wildlife Troopers what happened." Most likely, the whole thing is on film as well.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: scalebuster] #6073967 12/09/15 01:53 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Accidents happen. She did buy another tag for the second animal. I think those of you calling for jail time are crazy. How many people in this situation with no cameras rolling would have just collected their bear and left the other one laying right where it fell?

SSS only works if you are not being filmed.
Very unfortunate situation. You know they are looking back and thinking they could have done a few things differently. Hind-site is...

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6073995 12/09/15 02:04 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Hi Brian,

The statements from the articles are as follows:

"1.Investigators said she held a single bear tag and shot a male grizzly bear, attempted to kill it with a second shot, and instead fired and killed a second bear, a sow grizzly."

"2. Troopers say Vail during filming in May shot a male grizzly, and in her haste to kill it, shot a nearby sow."

A topical reading does not suggest she intentionally shot the second bear (understanding that it was a different bear).

Another way this could have happened (again speculation) is that BOTH bears were always in view, Her second shot at the wounded boar missed and hit the nearby Sow or penetrated the Boar AND hit the Sow. At which time pretty much everyone would be aware of the issue.

IF instead of calling the authorities (realizing they had two dead bears and one tag) they ALL sought to remedy the situation through deception, then Yes…I hope they are all found guilty and any charges questioning her integrity would be valid and deserved at that point.

It will be an interesting case to follow.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074022 12/09/15 02:18 AM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Pretty sure I watched an episode of her show where she was shooting at a big bull elk, and missed it and shot a spike behind it. I don't know why but that annoyed me. Maybe it was her lack of care about it.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: texassippi] #6074047 12/09/15 02:30 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: texassippi
Pretty sure I watched an episode of her show where she was shooting at a big bull elk, and missed it and shot a spike behind it. I don't know why but that annoyed me. Maybe it was her lack of care about it.

She is an absolute neophyte when it comes to hunting. Totally dependent on others for everything but the trigger pull/release of arrow. She misses and/or makes poor hits constantly. It is surprising to me how often they show this - my guess is they have to because most all of her game encounters probably have a FUBAR element.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074052 12/09/15 02:33 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Article also says both bears where spotted together, so... Where was the "surprise"?. Confusion I can sure understand, but what followed pretty much negates that IMO.

BTW, she didn't buy the tag the way I read it, it was dropped from an airplane to them, to use for the "overkill"

Dennis

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074059 12/09/15 02:37 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quote:
Being former LEO, probably understand it better than you possibly, in order to bring charges, you need a sworn complaint, obviously the prosecutor enough evidence to pursue/charge. Also pretty nice sitting on testimony of the film crew and film.

Anyone can bring a 'sworn complaint' am I sure you are aware. Which in and of itself is not damning and simply means a 'process' to bring charges has begun...since no arrest was made.

Hopefully, the prosecutor is honest and feels there IS enough evidence to proceed with formal charges. Lord knows...prosecutors/DA's/SA's are never wrong or out to make a name for themselves. wink

Quote:
"The film crew on June 3 reported to Alaska Wildlife Troopers what happened." Most likely, the whole thing is on film as well.

Which would be excellent for one side or the other. However, its worth is likely to involve only the documentation of the actual event (shots on the bears). I would not expect it to include anything to do with the alleged 'cover up' unless the actors were filmed without their knowledge. Who knows?

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Meanwhile, I will reserve judgement and hope that others would too.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074091 12/09/15 02:51 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quote:
Article also says both bears where spotted together, so... Where was the "surprise"?. Confusion I can sure understand, but what followed pretty much negates that IMO.

^^^^^ Correct (as written) both bears were spotted together, it was always known there were two bears. The boar was selected and shot. It is what happened after that...that is somewhat unclear, other than the Sow was also somehow shot.

Quote:
BTW, she didn't buy the tag the way I read it, it was dropped from an airplane to them, to use for the "overkill"

No claim is made that 'She' bought the tag, it would have impossible for her to do so in that time frame, the story relates that one of the guides contacted the other (who presumably bought the tag) and air-dropped it.
So at the very least...'someone' understood the need for the second tag. But that doesn't mean Ms. Vail was aware that the action was technically illegal.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: flintknapper] #6074102 12/09/15 03:00 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Quote:

No claim is made that 'She' bought the tag, it would have impossible for her to do so in that time frame, the story relates that one of the guides contacted the other (who presumably bought the tag) and air-dropped it.
So at the very least...'someone' understood the need for the second tag. But that doesn't mean Ms. Vail was aware that the action was technically illegal. [/quote]

That is correct, it was in relation to what Scalebuster said in his post. And I am sure "Miss Vail" at least became suspicious, when she falsified the form data.........

Dennis

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074145 12/09/15 03:18 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Shes a looker

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074233 12/09/15 04:03 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
So at the very least...'someone' understood the need for the second tag. But that doesn't mean Ms. Vail was aware that the action was technically illegal.

LOL, there is no difference between "technically illegal" and just plain old "illegal."

So, YES, at least someone understood the need for the second tag to illegally cover-up the transgression.

It is Vail's responsibility to know the hunting laws where she is hunting. If she got a license to hunt, pulled the trigger, then she should have understood the law, plain and simple, regardless of her producers, handlers, and guides. So it would not really matter that she may not have bothered to learn and understand the law before hunting as she would still be accountable for it. She had to understand that she was putting a wrong date on the hunting tag. NOWHERE she would have hunted previously would that have been considered legal or appropriate.

Her lawyer called the infractions committed, "errors in judgment." I like that. It implies that she knew or thought the actions might be wrong and went ahead and did it anyway.

Quote:
Also, if you think her to be knowingly complicit, then we must reconcile why She and her staff reported the incident when they got back?

Because SHE didn't. It was done by her film crew.

Quote:
The film crew on June 3 reported to Alaska Wildlife Troopers what happened.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/adventure-show-star-charged-alaska-hunting-violations-001113733.html

Quote:
Troopers spokesperson Beth Ipsen said in an email Monday that the incident leading to the charges was reported to Alaska Wildlife Troopers by Vail’s film crew on June 3, after a hunt that took place from May 18 to May 27 near Timber Creek, south of Holy Cross in Game Management Unit 19.

https://www.adn.com/article/20151207/tro...laska-bear-kill

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074240 12/09/15 04:07 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I bet she has a new film crew.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074250 12/09/15 04:13 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Who produces that show anyway?

Nevermind, Google shows Franchi. Film crew works for them, not her and wouldn't surprise me if it was ran through management before they told their story.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074336 12/09/15 06:38 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quote:
LOL, there is no difference between "technically illegal" and just plain old "illegal."

Yes, of course it is an expression...meant to convey that extenuating circumstance or less than certain aspects of a situation might leave it on the cusp. In strict legal form...there is only legal or illegal, whereas 'lawful' and 'unlawful' are challenged every day in the courts. You'll excuse my choice of words?

Quote:
It is Vail's responsibility to know the hunting laws where she is hunting. If she got a license to hunt, pulled the trigger, then she should have understood the law, plain and simple, regardless of her producers, handlers, and guides. So it would not really matter that she may not have bothered to learn and understand the law before hunting as she would still be accountable for it.

Yes. I have stated that more than once. In no way do I excuse her or anyone else from the responsibility to know the law. She is accountable for any infractions she committed. This is where the 'letter of the law' comes into play. What I am asking folks to consider is: What was her INTENT in each phase of this unfortunate circumstance? The reason that matters...is NOT because it necessarily applies to the law, but rather to preserve a person's reputation and avoid the wholesale slaughter of their character, owing to a mistake.

Quote:
She had to understand that she was putting a wrong date on the hunting tag.

Disagree. IF she put the date of the kill on the tag, she did what ALL tags ask for. The true infraction...was not having the tag before the kill. For all we know...the kill, the tag purchase and the filling of the date all occurred on the same day. We don't have details to substantiate it one way or the other. But one thing IS clear, there were NOT two tags in possession at the time of the unintended kill, so by default an illegal act occurred, though it might have been excused if reported immediately (if that were even possible).

Quote:
NOWHERE she would have hunted previously would that have been considered legal or appropriate.

Legal and 'appropriate' would be two different things. If you went deer hunting tomorrow, shot a buck and on your way to retrieve it...you suffered a heart attack. Your hunting buddy finds you and rushes you to the hospital. The deer is retrieved the next morning and your tag put upon it. Game Warden shows up at the hospital and cites you for not tagging the deer immediately (as required). Letter of the law says that LEGALLY speaking...you were wrong. Even though the APPROPRIATE thing was done (an attempt to satisfy the law as much as was possible). Doesn't absolve you of the infraction, but I expect you'd like the courts to consider the circumstances, yes?

Quote:
Her lawyer called the infractions committed, "errors in judgment." I like that. It implies that she knew or thought the actions might be wrong and went ahead and did it anyway.

'Lawyer Speak' nothing else. You know that. He did not attribute that to Ms. Vail anyway, only stated that 'afterward'..."errors in judgment" were made. Purposely, very broad.

Quote:

Here is the excerpt from what was written:

"We have strict policies and procedures in place that require all of our talent and producers to abide by all hunting regulations," he said. "In June, Theresa Vail and the 'Limitless' production team alerted the authorities of the situation."

If this is true, then yes SHE did.

Last edited by flintknapper; 12/09/15 06:46 AM.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: DQ Kid] #6074340 12/09/15 07:16 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
I agree but with tags being so limited/restricted, don't we owe it to the animal as well as other hunters?

I hope you don't fall off, it might hurt being so high up. Lol.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074442 12/09/15 01:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You know, this is not a hard scenario to read. Is she your niece or something flintknapper?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074478 12/09/15 01:34 PM
B
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Truly sad how those that are have been more fortunate in life choose to over indulge and often at times even begin to take on an entitlement mentality.

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: flintknapper] #6074483 12/09/15 01:42 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Quote:

Yes, of course it is an expression...meant to convey that extenuating circumstance or less than certain aspects of a situation might leave it on the cusp. In strict legal form...there is only legal or illegal, whereas 'lawful' and 'unlawful' are challenged every day in the courts. You'll excuse my choice of words?

Quote:
It is Vail's responsibility to know the hunting laws where she is hunting. If she got a license to hunt, pulled the trigger, then she should have understood the law, plain and simple, regardless of her producers, handlers, and guides. So it would not really matter that she may not have bothered to learn and understand the law before hunting as she would still be accountable for it.

Yes. I have stated that more than once. In no way do I excuse her or anyone else from the responsibility to know the law. She is accountable for any infractions she committed. This is where the 'letter of the law' comes into play. What I am asking folks to consider is: What was her INTENT in each phase of this unfortunate circumstance? The reason that matters...is NOT because it necessarily applies to the law, but rather to preserve a person's reputation and avoid the wholesale slaughter of their character, owing to a mistake.

Quote:
She had to understand that she was putting a wrong date on the hunting tag.

Disagree. IF she put the date of the kill on the tag, she did what ALL tags ask for. The true infraction...was not having the tag before the kill. For all we know...the kill, the tag purchase and the filling of the date all occurred on the same day. We don't have details to substantiate it one way or the other. But one thing IS clear, there were NOT two tags in possession at the time of the unintended kill, so by default an illegal act occurred, though it might have been excused if reported immediately (if that were even possible).

Quote:
NOWHERE she would have hunted previously would that have been considered legal or appropriate.

Legal and 'appropriate' would be two different things. If you went deer hunting tomorrow, shot a buck and on your way to retrieve it...you suffered a heart attack. Your hunting buddy finds you and rushes you to the hospital. The deer is retrieved the next morning and your tag put upon it. Game Warden shows up at the hospital and cites you for not tagging the deer immediately (as required). Letter of the law says that LEGALLY speaking...you were wrong. Even though the APPROPRIATE thing was done (an attempt to satisfy the law as much as was possible). Doesn't absolve you of the infraction, but I expect you'd like the courts to consider the circumstances, yes?

Quote:

'Lawyer Speak' nothing else. You know that. He did not attribute that to Ms. Vail anyway, only stated that 'afterward'..."errors in judgment" were made. Purposely, very broad.

Quote:

Here is the excerpt from what was written:

"We have strict policies and procedures in place that require all of our talent and producers to abide by all hunting regulations," he said. "In June, Theresa Vail and the 'Limitless' production team alerted the authorities of the situation."

If this is true, then yes SHE did.

Great points to consider flintknapper.

If I ever need legal representation I will pm you. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074493 12/09/15 01:49 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Funny part is the bringing up of all she keeps doing wrong...They obviously keep watching the show rofl

Cold day in Hell before I reduce myself to sitting in the house watching Hunting Shows bang

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: SniperRAB] #6074508 12/09/15 02:01 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Funny part is the bringing up of all she keeps doing wrong...They obviously keep watching the show rofl

Cold day in Hell before I reduce myself to sitting in the house watching Hunting Shows bang

You got that right RAB, I mostly watch them for a bit of diversion from reality and subjection to mass hunting marketing, LOL...

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074555 12/09/15 02:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Someone post a pic I don't know who she is.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: redchevy] #6074564 12/09/15 02:33 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Someone post a pic I don't know who she is.

Try Google. All the pics you would ever want to see.

Re: theresa vail in trouble with fish and game [Re: txhunter1010] #6074580 12/09/15 02:44 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide