M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: MarkE
Originally Posted By: Threelranch
I have talked to a few texas parks and wildlife friends that have been in it for a long time and they all say they wish they could get the vast majority of the high fence need to be taken down and hope to get a bill passed to make them more regulated.

Agreed. The whole country side is going to be one giant grid of high fences. The only real "wildlife" are going to be those with wings and others that can squeeze through net fences (and not get caught in a snare).

Folks talk about how hard it is to hunt an animal in 250 acre HF....."it is the principal of the matter." The whole point is running an animal around in 250 acres trying to kill it in the first place. Why anyone wants to do that I just don't get.
I doubt that you would even find him much less"Run Him".

Again, it is the principal of the matter. I'm really at a loss for words. The animal can't run in a straight line for more than 1-2 minutes before running into a fence! So, he is just going in circles, back and forth between thickets. If you kick the right bush, he will come out and run to the next one. What a "trophy" that would be. Get out the camera and call the taxidermist boys!

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: don k] #6060547 12/01/15 06:08 PM
T
Threelranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
It will be a cold day in hell when TPWS gets the power to take down privately owned fence. It will be another cold day when they can regulate game other than WT on private property.If TPWS did not like HF they would have never started Captive breeding. All you HF haters better hope that day never comes because things have then gone to "Hell in a hand basket"

And thats the very reason why they should be outlawed , that attitude is 98% of the HF place have .Yes the parks should be able to protect the animals and tell you how do to so , i also think that if you have a exotic get out you should be fined wish they would have never been brought over .....you want to hunt them go to where they are like i used to before all this money game started !

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: TonyinVA] #6060549 12/01/15 06:10 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
Some interesting comments.

Do any of the anti-HF proponents on this post feel that this situation described above also falls into the standard HF argument and that any hunting on those estates is wrong/unethical and not fair chase? Or is it acceptable since these are native deer trapped in a high fence that was erected for privacy reasons and not specifically to contain the deer that are inside.

I don't think that its necessarily wrong/unethical, however, I do know that its not fair chase.

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: MarkE] #6060690 12/01/15 07:19 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Do any of the anti-HF proponents on this post feel that this situation described above also falls into the standard HF argument and that any hunting on those estates is wrong/unethical and not fair chase? Or is it acceptable since these are native deer trapped in a high fence that was erected for privacy reasons and not specifically to contain the deer that are inside.

I don't think that its necessarily wrong/unethical, however, I do know that its not fair chase.
So sitting in a blind waiting for a deer to come eat corn then bushwacking it is fair chase? And if you think an animal cannot run 1 or 2 minutes without hitting a fence on my place you are seriously mistaken. You are not one of those that cries when the neighbor shoots one of "Your Deer" are you?

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: don k] #6060710 12/01/15 07:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

So sitting in a blind waiting for a deer to come eat corn then bushwacking it is fair chase? And if you think an animal cannot run 1 or 2 minutes without hitting a fence on my place you are seriously mistaken. You are not one of those that cries when the neighbor shoots one of "Your Deer" are you?

No, those are the HF folks. So they pen them up so that won't happen anymore. grin

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: MarkE] #6060722 12/01/15 07:39 PM
S
safdm44 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Threelranch
I have talked to a few texas parks and wildlife friends that have been in it for a long time and they all say they wish they could get the vast majority of the high fence need to be taken down and hope to get a bill passed to make them more regulated.

Agreed. The whole country side is going to be one giant grid of high fences. The only real "wildlife" are going to be those with wings and others that can squeeze through net fences (and not get caught in a snare).

Folks talk about how hard it is to hunt an animal in 250 acre HF....."it is the principal of the matter." The whole point is running an animal around in 250 acres trying to kill it in the first place. Why anyone wants to do that I just don't get.

Just make sure Mark that the deal acutally stays the same. Some deals change when you start asking questions! That being said there is still plenty of area LF to hunt!

Last edited by safdm44; 12/01/15 07:40 PM.
Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: TexFlip] #6060724 12/01/15 07:40 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
High fence hunting is different than low no matter how you slice it (you know what animals are within the HF)

I've taken game from both and I PERSONALLY feel a difference in the two.

It boils down to individual preference and how happy/accomplished you feel after the kill. Hunt and enjoy whatever fence ya like

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: TexFlip] #6060740 12/01/15 07:47 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Hunting a high fence is like me shooting a 10 point that eats in my backyard every evening for the past 2 years. There are no ways of taking that 10 point that would be considered hunting in my book.

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: don k] #6060820 12/01/15 08:26 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

I hunt with compound bows, high powered rifles, and use feeders. I draw the line on hunting captive animals. I don't have any assurance as to what animal is on the property at any given time, thus "fair chase"; they roam freely.
A deer can cover .25 miles easily in 1 minute at 15 mph; .5 miles in 2 mins. That is a steady run, not wide open. Please educate me as to how I'm seriously mistaken.
I can't say that I don't get upset when the neighbor shoots one of the deer I've been watching, but that is hunting. Putting up a high fence to control everything within is not hunting. Its just a giant trap with animals at your disposal. Ultimately, anything you want to alter or kill within the confinement of the fence will eventually be done.

Last edited by MarkE; 12/01/15 08:32 PM.
Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: TexFlip] #6060842 12/01/15 08:38 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
44 % to 8% roflmao

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: TexFlip] #6060913 12/01/15 09:11 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I love hunting my HF. Bucks are able to mature and the ratio is 1:1. Sometimes I see deer, sometimes I don't. Finally get to see what the native deer can look like at the age of 6-7, instead of 2.5-3.5 like it was when we were low fenced. The deer become tame and dumb once the fence went up. They all got the memo grin

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: TexFlip] #6060943 12/01/15 09:27 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I think the idea fair chase is all a matter of opinion. Is upland hunting on horseback/ATV/UTV with a pack of 15 dogs fair chase to the birds you're after, or would it be more sporting to simply walk in with no dogs to do the work for you? Same can be said for hogs, is it really fair chase to let 20 catahoulas range out to bay the bigs then walk up and send in a catch dog or is it more sporting to spot and stalk hogs yourself. In parts of the country using deer dogs for driven hunts could be considered fair chase, but is this really fair for the animals. Does it really matter? In my opinion there is no difference HF hunting than fishing in a smaller reservoir for the end user. Different strokes for different folks.

I think high fencing has an important role in the economy of hunting by creating value in natural landscapes. I would much rather see a 5000 acre HF game ranch offering canned hunts vs a new housing development. I would also rather see canned hunts than a large corporate mono-culture modern farming operation.

The operator of a HF must be much more cognizant in managing his land/animals than someone who has a low fence ranch. I don't find HF guys to be less lazy simply because you can't be lazy. There is so much more management and work that go into a HF ranch than low fence simply because you have to make sure the habitat is right for your animals since they can't just leave.

I would love to one day run 'canned' hunts for deep pocketed customers. But this is mainly because I love working out in the outdoors in nature. Sure they maybe 'canned' hunts to them but I bet you talk to any ranch manager and they would talk your ear off on how much work goes into these easy lazy hunts for the customer.

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: Mr. T.] #6060967 12/01/15 09:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Most HF hunters if I were standing by them in their trophy room looking at a huge buck and I asked. "Did you Hunt that deer or Buy it?" Would have to answer, "I bought it."
At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Any deer killed on land in Texas that's not public.... Bought it. Only exception is the invites by landowners, but those landowner paid for those deer one way or another.

Funny buddy killed a good deer last week. He said check out my 1.5 million dollar deer!!! I told him keep shooting it cheapens them up roflmao

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: mattyg06] #6060972 12/01/15 09:41 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
I think the idea fair chase is all a matter of opinion. Is upland hunting on horseback/ATV/UTV with a pack of 15 dogs fair chase to the birds you're after, or would it be more sporting to simply walk in with no dogs to do the work for you? Same can be said for hogs, is it really fair chase to let 20 catahoulas range out to bay the bigs then walk up and send in a catch dog or is it more sporting to spot and stalk hogs yourself. In parts of the country using deer dogs for driven hunts could be considered fair chase, but is this really fair for the animals. Does it really matter? In my opinion there is no difference HF hunting than fishing in a smaller reservoir for the end user. Different strokes for different folks.

I think high fencing has an important role in the economy of hunting by creating value in natural landscapes. I would much rather see a 5000 acre HF game ranch offering canned hunts vs a new housing development. I would also rather see canned hunts than a large corporate mono-culture modern farming operation.

The operator of a HF must be much more cognizant in managing his land/animals than someone who has a low fence ranch. I don't find HF guys to be less lazy simply because you can't be lazy. There is so much more management and work that go into a HF ranch than low fence simply because you have to make sure the habitat is right for your animals since they can't just leave.

I would love to one day run 'canned' hunts for deep pocketed customers. But this is mainly because I love working out in the outdoors in nature. Sure they maybe 'canned' hunts to them but I bet you talk to any ranch manager and they would talk your ear off on how much work goes into these easy lazy hunts for the customer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: mattyg06] #6060974 12/01/15 09:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: mattyg06

Don't need a HF to run canned hunts I assure you. Those LF contest winning bucks are 99.9% not by chance. Those deer where watched for a long long time.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6060995 12/01/15 09:52 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Don't need a HF to run canned hunts I assure you.

Definition of "Canned Hunt" - a trophy hunt in which an animal is kept in a confined area, such as in a fenced-in area, increasing the likelihood of the hunter obtaining a kill

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: MarkE] #6061022 12/01/15 10:04 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Definition of "Canned Hunt" - a trophy hunt in which an animal is kept in a confined area, such as in a fenced-in area, increasing the likelihood of the hunter obtaining a kill

And here I thought canned ment 100% success one a defined deer....

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: TexFlip] #6061036 12/01/15 10:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You can't use logic here. It's all the same, you see. All hunts are canned, all deer are bought, it's all the same.....the HF makes no difference. Pretty soon they'll be telling you how much harder it is in HF.

Don't worry, most know exactly what you are saying and agree. Our eyes are open. We know what we see. It's just not worth arguing about anymore except for the "it's all the samers".

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: TexFlip] #6061041 12/01/15 10:09 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Wow, I would have never thought THF members would EVER argue LF/HF. clap

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6061042 12/01/15 10:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

If you think all the big LF bucks you see killed are "100% success" on a defined deer - you are living in an illusion. Your comments cheapen the experiences of every one of those hunters.

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: MarkE] #6061058 12/01/15 10:17 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
It's always easier to post a meme than to argue for your opinion point by point isn't it.

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: don k] #6061066 12/01/15 10:20 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I have been thinking about doing something this next year. I keep hearing from the anti HF crowd that hunting a HF is like shooting fish in a barrel. I have an at least 30" Axis in about a 250 acre HF pasture. He is going to drop his antlers soon. When he grows them back he should be well over 30". I was thinking about making a deal. You give me $750 and I will let you in the pasture and you get from daylight to dark to hunt that one day.. If you get him you made a heck of a deal. If not I made $750.

That is a deal that I would NOT take.
Four years ago we started hunting a 5 year old axis buck on a 200 acre HF place. He was hunted every weekend, and two years ago he was finally offered as a freebie to any hunter that was there to hunt something else. He was hunted hard and was finally shot this past weekend at 9 years old. I thought that sucker was going to die from old age. He had never been seen by a human, only cameras, and that was rare.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6061080 12/01/15 10:26 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
You can't use logic here. It's all the same, you see. All hunts are canned, all deer are bought, it's all the same.....the HF makes no difference. Pretty soon they'll be telling you how much harder it is in HF.

Don't worry, most know exactly what you are saying and agree. Our eyes are open. We know what we see. It's just not worth arguing about anymore except for the "it's all the samers".

Yet you've made comment about extremely "high dollar" LF South Texas leases... TTHA thread wink

Leases are a product of money, I guess you are going to argue they are all the same now? The level of obtainable deer is via money. You make it sound like killing a deer is so hard. It's so hard we have to have laws limiting take, weapons, times, sex and size....out west is the same west is the same way.

Nunley chittam, King, Callaghan..etc I can go on and on. Hell TLK's LF lease has produced three over 180 this year. They grew those deer. Just like the 25" wide 8pt I've been hunting in mason county..I've been watching him for 5 years.

Again you hunt a ranch large enough to exceed a deers home area, it means he lives on that ranch. You are growing him. At some point in a deers life someone with a 99% probability has seen and passed on that deer at some time in its life.

I guess ALL those LF giants in contests where surprises!!! Lol

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6061090 12/01/15 10:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

If you think all the big LF bucks you see killed are "100% success" on a defined deer - you are living in an illusion. Your comments cheapen the experiences of every one of those hunters.

Cheapen? Illusion? Lol the exact opposite. I'm one of those guys. You can buy a huge LF deer just like HF. Biggest difference is the HF is cheaper
The only difference between a high end lease and a high end guided LF hunt, is you are competing against your fellow leasees in some cases and doing more physical work but even then you can eliminate the competition by buying the whole lease.

All those pictures of deer on Nunley Chittim, King etc are BY accident!!! Same with all the LF contest winners!!!!They ALL just magically appeared!!! Lol that's your illusion not mine.

No doubht growing bg deer is a lot of work, with out a dought the hunting part is easier if you make it that way.

Book deer are grown where the genetics make it possible. You are either hunting where there is the ability to have a book sized deer or you are not. Those book probability areas are a price point.

Re: This Aught to Be Good (HF Debate) [Re: Tye] #6061099 12/01/15 10:39 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Tye
I love hunting my HF. Bucks are able to mature and the ratio is 1:1. Sometimes I see deer, sometimes I don't. Finally get to see what the native deer can look like at the age of 6-7, instead of 2.5-3.5 like it was when we were low fenced. The deer become tame and dumb once the fence went up. They all got the memo grin
This is my main reason I'm ok with HF.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide