Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,362
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Navasot] #6037375 11/18/15 07:55 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: rattler03
isn't this basically what tpwd already has in place for the AR counties? they don't designate which tag can be used for your AR buck, but you are basically limited to 1 AR qualifying buck, 1 cull (a buck that has at least one spike antler) and X amount of does depending on county. from what I could understand of your proposal this is basically the same except you allow 1 more spike to be taken, which goes against your stated purpose (letting more bucks walk) of changing the tagging system. the reason tpwd has the tags listed the way they do is so that all tags can be used under all specific county requirements and that's why they added the log on the back of the license where you list all deer you have taken that year. for example, my dad gets the same tags I do even though he hunts in a non-AR county we just use them differently. if you changed it to your idea, a single hunter would be able to kill 4 or 5 bucks if he hunted in a county with ARs and a different county without ARs. That's a lot bucks for one hunter to kill.

if you want to change the definition or a legal AR buck, or put in an exemption to the AR rule for a deer over a certain age, then it might be a good idea. otherwise, I don't see how you are actually changing the current system and you may be allowing each hunter to kill twice as many bucks than he currently can if were able to hunt in more than one county.

that's what they are trying to do but you cant expect to make a law about something that involves so much learning and still no one gets it right 100% of the time

so basically, he's proposing that in an AR county I could take:
1 unrestricted buck
1 buck that meets AR
1 spike

?????? I don't get ... that's a bad idea all the way around

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037376 11/18/15 07:57 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Goodluck though and welcome hope you end up getting it down.. I wouldn't be to upset with being your first year though. this year is very green in most parts and I went from seeing 20-30 deer a day at the first week of October to about 3-5 a day if im lucky... just a good year for the animals.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: rattler03] #6037379 11/18/15 07:59 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
isn't this basically what tpwd already has in place for the AR counties? they don't designate which tag can be used for your AR buck, but you are basically limited to 1 AR qualifying buck, 1 cull (a buck that has at least one spike antler) and X amount of does depending on county. from what I could understand of your proposal this is basically the same except you allow 1 more spike to be taken, which goes against your stated purpose (letting more bucks walk) of changing the tagging system. the reason tpwd has the tags listed the way they do is so that all tags can be used under all specific county requirements and that's why they added the log on the back of the license where you list all deer you have taken that year. for example, my dad gets the same tags I do even though he hunts in a non-AR county we just use them differently. if you changed it to your idea, a single hunter would be able to kill 4 or 5 bucks if he hunted in a county with ARs and a different county without ARs. That's a lot bucks for one hunter to kill.

if you want to change the definition or a legal AR buck, or put in an exemption to the AR rule for a deer over a certain age, then it might be a good idea. otherwise, I don't see how you are actually changing the current system and you may be allowing each hunter to kill twice as many bucks than he currently can if were able to hunt in more than one county.

that's what they are trying to do but you cant expect to make a law about something that involves so much learning and still no one gets it right 100% of the time

1 unrestricted buck
1 buck that meets AR
1 spike

No that's what TPWD is trying to do. He was saying let them have more options maybe they will choose to shoot a less desirable deer over a young deer with potential.. id be ok with that if that less desirable buck tag had an age limit of say 4yr old on it... and was combined with the unbranched antler tag

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037381 11/18/15 08:01 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
but show those rules to the public and they go loco_too

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Navasot] #6037382 11/18/15 08:02 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Goodluck though and welcome hope you end up getting it down.. I wouldn't be to upset with being your first year though. this year is very green in most parts and I went from seeing 20-30 deer a day at the first week of October to about 3-5 a day if im lucky... just a good year for the animals.

If this was for me, thank you. I am definitely not upset. I have two doe down so far, so my freezer is filling up. I haven't hunted in the 14 years since I joined the military, so just getting some land and getting back out there is great to me. The bucks will come or if not that's alright too. Now my only goal is to get my son his first deer.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jsplinter] #6037383 11/18/15 08:03 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: jsplinter

If this was for me, thank you. I am definitely not upset. I have two doe down so far, so my freezer is filling up. I haven't hunted in the 14 years since I joined the military, so just getting some land and getting back out there is great to me. The bucks will come or if not that's alright too. Now my only goal is to get my son his first deer.
cheers

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Navasot] #6037396 11/18/15 08:11 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

1 unrestricted buck
1 buck that meets AR
1 spike

No that's what TPWD is trying to do. He was saying let them have more options maybe they will choose to shoot a less desirable deer over a young deer with potential.. id be ok with that if that less desirable buck tag had an age limit of say 4yr old on it... and was combined with the unbranched antler tag

so TPWD is considering changing the tagging situation with ARs. huh, that's news to me. it'll be interesting to see what they come up. it could work out to be good as long as they keep it simple. I agree that most hunters aren't going to be able to consistently properly age a 3.5 year old deer versus a 4.5 year old. if you give everyone an AR exemption buck tag, there are going to be a lot of deer killed that were the type of deer ARs were designed to protect.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037398 11/18/15 08:12 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
NO they are trying to let deer get older.. just stating that in general...

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037400 11/18/15 08:13 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
This got all kinds of confused but for the same purpose roflmao

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Navasot] #6037401 11/18/15 08:14 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

they aren't trying to let spikes get older. they are trying to let a certain type of buck, one with branched antlers, to get older.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: rattler03] #6037403 11/18/15 08:16 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

they aren't trying to let spikes get older. they are trying to let a certain type of buck, one with branched antlers, to get older.

yes the spike thing I see is to let the folks get their meat if wanted.. way I see it at least..

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037408 11/18/15 08:18 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
So, Nav, is TPWD actually thinking of changing the AR rules to something like we've been talking about here? I hadn't heard anything about this until reading this thread.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: rattler03] #6037410 11/18/15 08:20 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
So, Nav, is TPWD actually thinking of changing the AR rules to something like we've been talking about here? I hadn't heard anything about this until reading this thread.

Nope.. im sure they have thought plenty about it but whats in place is working imo

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: rattler03] #6037415 11/18/15 08:24 PM
T
tx hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I love AR's. I hunt in coryell county just outside of gaitsville and AR's have really helped the area I hunt. The problem I see now is that once a deer has met the AR (13") the blast them. Where I hunt nobody seems to care about growing older mature deer. They're happy with bragging about their 2 year old 13" buck. My dad and I were talking the other day about how we wish there was a way to implement a rule that extend past AR's and allow for older more mature deer to grow . I realize how convoluted and confusing that'd be though. I'm sitting in a deer stand not seeing any deer as I write this lol

Last edited by tx hunter; 11/18/15 08:25 PM.
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Navasot] #6037422 11/18/15 08:28 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Nope.. im sure they have thought plenty about it but whats in place is working imo

Good! I agree, it'd be nice if they could add in an exemption to the ARs for deer older than a certain age or over a certain weight specific to each region, but I don't think that is going to work out very well. The majority of hunters aren't going to get that judgment right at a high enough percentage to justify changing the rules. It'd be a good change in principle, but in practice I think it would setback a lot of the progress that has been made by implementing ARs.

Thanks for clarifying that for me, I was getting worried something let this was actually be considered.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: tx hunter] #6037424 11/18/15 08:28 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: tx hunter
I love AR's. I hunt in coryell county just outside of gaitsville and AR's have really helped the area I hunt. The problem I see now is that once a deer has met the AR (13") the blast them. Where I hunt nobody seems to care about growing older mature deer. They're happy with bragging about their 2 year old 13" buck. My dad and I were talking the other day about how we wish there was a way to implement a rule that extend past AR's and allow for older more mature deer to grow . I realize how convoluted and confusing that'd be though. I'm sitting in a deer stand not seeing any deer as I write this lol

I just asked a guy at my work what he thought about the AR after reading all of this, he said he liked it. I said I didn't mind it either but the problem with our area is that they get blasted as soon as they reach that point and never really get any bigger. I guess the only good thing we are still getting out of it is that it gives those deer with the good genes a couple years to pass them on before they hit the 13in mark. We are thinking the same thing though.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037449 11/18/15 08:48 PM
L
Leonardo Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
They are working. Just look at the pictures day in and day out that get posted on this forum. They aren't perfect but neither are we as hunters. Any proposition based on age is just not enforceable. Even the most scientific aging process allows for + or - 1 year.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jsplinter] #6037476 11/18/15 09:13 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

What happened to the 6 points on one side?

I don't mind the AR. This is my first year hunting in Texas though and have yet to shoot a buck. From what information I have gathered it that the central Texas bucks don't grow as big as what some see in other areas. With that said I am worried about really being able to make sure the bucks have the 13in inside spread, to me it can be difficult to tell until you have shot and seen many examples.
186 in buck killed on Ft Hood last year that pretty big for anywhere in America

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037481 11/18/15 09:16 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
IMO it would make more sense to allow for under 13 in deer to be killed on during youth season. That way you allow a kid to kill a cull buck and then maybe a trophy during regular season. Of coarse then you would have the idiots getting all their kids that dont even hunt a license and then hunting off their kids license so that prob wouldnt work either.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: rattler03] #6037486 11/18/15 09:20 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
and with the diversity of hunters out there in knowledge/experience it has to be a simple blanket rule...

^^^^this

why complicate a system that has minor flaws at the worst. if it ain't broke - don't fix it

and yet they implemented ARs anyway. grin

Last edited by Curly; 11/18/15 09:24 PM.
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037492 11/18/15 09:23 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Hmmmm, here's Arkansas's rules:

"Three-point rule: A legal buck must have both antlers shorter than 2 inches (button buck) or have three or more points on one side of his rack. The three-point rule applies statewide "

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037540 11/18/15 10:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Why not let the landowner with a TPWD approved management plan in place, write the rules and harvest limits for their land.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6037580 11/18/15 10:28 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I like all the discussion..

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: jsplinter] #6037591 11/18/15 10:34 PM
B
BuffaloSpringsRD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
What county you in?

I hunt on the border of Coryell and Lampasas

I have seen and shot(at and or killed) some of the biggest deer I have had the chance at in Coryell County, out side of Pidcoke. Hang in there. They are there

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #6037621 11/18/15 10:57 PM
T
tx hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: BuffaloSpringsRD
I have seen and shot(at and or killed) some of the biggest deer I have had the chance at in Coryell County, out side of Pidcoke. Hang in there. They are there

Makes me feel better. My place is right outside of Pidcoke.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide