Forums46
Topics538,074
Posts9,732,670
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027712 11/13/15 06:45 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
^^^so true

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: beaversnipe] #6027729 11/13/15 06:55 PM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
well, I guess the alternative is you quit whining about it. Get off your butt and make yourself a hand in life, buy your own place and not have to deal with others. Problem solved.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027744 11/13/15 07:05 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Dammit I hate when I have to agree with beave.

At the ramp I talk to folks. Most of the time I get some strange looks or the silent treatment. Hey, how's it goin, nice rig, good lookin' dawg, that kind of chit. But there ain't no way in hell I'm gonna talk about where I'm headed, ask where they're headed, or hunt with someone I just met. After the things I have routinely seen others do I don't want to take that chance.

Now, if I met somebody somewhere else and it turns out they want to try to hunt or used to, whatever, I'm game.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027769 11/13/15 07:17 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I imagine a lot of these new hunters are democrats, they are a different breed these days

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: garrett] #6027787 11/13/15 07:25 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted By: garrett
I imagine a lot of these new hunters are democrats, they are a different breed these days

Since Dems. don't believe in guns they just ugly them to death. That's the way Bill did it in the day. He took Hillary once but she messed up too much meat when she uglyed them to death roflmao

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027809 11/13/15 07:34 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
A lot of it boils down to amount of area to hunt vs hunter numbers.

Respect and common sense are the other big factors. I would never set up one someone, so therefore I get extra pizzed if someone sets up on me.. nowadays you have to factor barney into the equation and find ways to avoid him and still kill burds.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027827 11/13/15 07:46 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek
Originally Posted By: ndhunter
State namer!....just kidding

It is a vicious cycle no doubt

lol... Trust me, in the Missouri Bootheel, we couldn't get enough hunters up there to matter. I'm an Arkansas Timber guy through and through, but the Bootheel is just as good! Super glad my in laws live there!

Land of Opportunity

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: GoBears870] #6027923 11/13/15 08:47 PM
Z
zbot11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Z
Originally Posted By: GoBears870
Long story short, I grew up in N TX, lived on the East Coast for 8 years after college, and returned home last year. What I see in the complaints about jerks and idiots on public land in this area can also be seen on the highways. The Metroplex (and the rest of the state, really) have seen a population boom. Just as there's not enough pavement on the roads, there's not enough hunting land to go around. It makes people impatient, selfish, and downright mean. And the problem is only going to get worse. I'm afraid for the future of hunting because of this. Before we know it the state will impose tougher limitations on public areas and land/lease prices will continue to escalate towards unaffordable levels for the vast majority of people. At a certain point, fewer and fewer folks - and more importantly, our kids - will be able to enjoy hunting.

I agree with this as well. I think we're impacted here by a lack of, or perceived lack of public hunting land when compared to other states. We're looking at 1% of the total land being public hunting land while states like Arkansas and Louisiana are 9.7% and 4.7% percent respectively. That's a huge difference.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: zbot11] #6027943 11/13/15 09:00 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: ZachW
Long story short, I grew up in N TX, lived on the East Coast for 8 years after college, and returned home last year. What I see in the complaints about jerks and idiots on public land in this area can also be seen on the highways. The Metroplex (and the rest of the state, really) have seen a population boom. Just as there's not enough pavement on the roads, there's not enough hunting land to go around. It makes people impatient, selfish, and downright mean. And the problem is only going to get worse. I'm afraid for the future of hunting because of this. Before we know it the state will impose tougher limitations on public areas and land/lease prices will continue to escalate towards unaffordable levels for the vast majority of people. At a certain point, fewer and fewer folks - and more importantly, our kids - will be able to enjoy hunting.

I agree with this as well. I think we're impacted here by a lack of, or perceived lack of public hunting land when compared to other states. We're looking at 1% of the total land being public hunting land while states like Arkansas and Louisiana are 9.7% and 4.7% percent respectively. That's a huge difference.

Texas ain't broke though! lol

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: kdub] #6027963 11/13/15 09:13 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: kdub
A lot of it boils down to amount of area to hunt vs hunter numbers.

Respect and common sense are the other big factors. I would never set up one someone, so therefore I get extra pizzed if someone sets up on me.. nowadays you have to factor barney into the equation and find ways to avoid him and still kill burds.

^^^^ This. I absolutley will blow a blood vessel when some jackwagon sets up on top of me. Folks have no respect. If they would stop and ask, never a problem.

A few years back, I had a group set up on top of my boat that was stowed 50 yards from me and my boys. Even came over and asked me to move my boat as it was in their way. This happened 5 minutes before legal. We had set up at 3am.

I refused to move the boat and they kindly set their decoy spread around it. 4 mojos and kazoos a blazin.

Me and the kids walked to the next cove up the lake with a half dozen decoys. Finished up early and then spent the next 3 hours walking around our boat and celebrating.

You give no respect, you get none

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027966 11/13/15 09:13 PM
G
GoBears870 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
TPWD is doing their best to add public land in the face of rising real estate prices. However, it's just not realistic for them to purchase private land in large quantities, even when the state budget was in surplus with the oil boom. In lieu of that they've opened more state parks to hunting and have made some great acquisitions through major donations and purchase partnerships, like Powderhorn Ranch and Palo Pinto Mountains State Park, which will open in a few years.

I think eventually there will be lines at local TPWD offices to apply for permits for a lot more hunting areas than you need to today and additional associated red tape. When I was hunting Maryland and Virginia, the public land rigamarole was a huge pain on top of the fact that they had insane Blue Laws that barred hunting on Sundays in most areas. But it was what they had to do to weed out hunters that weren't serious or responsible enough to put in the offseason preparation.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6027991 11/13/15 09:28 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I wish they'd shut hunting down at noon statewide as it used to be

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6028085 11/13/15 10:14 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
The morality is, that there are way more hunters rolling in texas, and less and less public places.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Elpatoloco] #6028088 11/13/15 10:15 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco

Imagree. Make it even 10'am

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6028126 11/13/15 10:37 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
People can't even follow the allowed times now.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6028128 11/13/15 10:38 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
if they shutdown hunting at noon that would ruin my afternoons at the coast

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: garrett] #6028137 11/13/15 10:42 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: garrett
if they shutdown hunting at noon that would ruin my afternoons at the coast

Well then, go farther offshore where international rules apply.

It would help keep more birds on inland public lakes.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Elpatoloco] #6028171 11/13/15 10:58 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco

I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as the coast was exempt

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6028195 11/13/15 11:19 PM
E
EtxDuncan Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
It would be very interesting to know the average age of people posting in this thread.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: GoBears870] #6028196 11/13/15 11:19 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
TPWD is doing their best to add public land in the face of rising real estate prices. However, it's just not realistic for them to purchase private land in large quantities, even when the state budget was in surplus with the oil boom. In lieu of that they've opened more state parks to hunting and have made some great acquisitions through major donations and purchase partnerships, like Powderhorn Ranch and Palo Pinto Mountains State Park, which will open in a few years.

I think eventually there will be lines at local TPWD offices to apply for permits for a lot more hunting areas than you need to today and additional associated red tape. When I was hunting Maryland and Virginia, the public land rigamarole was a huge pain on top of the fact that they had insane Blue Laws that barred hunting on Sundays in most areas. But it was what they had to do to weed out hunters that weren't serious or responsible enough to put in the offseason preparation.

That no Sunday hunting law goes back to the market hunting days. The rich guys from New York and Pennsylvania didn't like the market gunners on the bay running THEIR ducks 7 days a week, so they did what most rich and powerful men do and that's contact a congressman in their pocket and have a law passed, same law that stands today.
There is your waterfowl history lesson for the day boys and girls

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: EtxDuncan] #6028208 11/13/15 11:29 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: EtxDuncan
It would be very interesting to know the average age of people posting in this thread.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6028236 11/13/15 11:53 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Here are my thoughts on this thread:

1) I deal and interact with a lot of people every day, I hunt to get away from all that, so my preference is to hunt alone, it's my time, with my dog. I hunt with friends every now and then, but it's rarity.

2) I don't call newbies Barney, I call everyone a Barney, unless I know you, or talk to you in the field, and I like you, only then I remove the Barney label.

3) I'm nice to everyone I see in the field. It's my goal not to get upset at anyone, even if you set up on top of me. I'm out hunting to enjoy myself, getting upset defeats the purpose.

4) When I call someone a Barney, it's in joking manner, so lighten up, don't be so sensitive, or I will call you a girl instead of a Barney.

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6028276 11/14/15 12:08 AM
C
Creek2Creek Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Understandable. Seems like Barney is always used in a negative manner though. I joke with my group as well. Call one guy [censored] cause he got big boobs and call another guy Boopy cause he accidentally crapped in his hood and carried it back to the blind with him after a bad trip to Waffle House!

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: Creek2Creek] #6028325 11/14/15 12:34 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
That was quite the accident.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is going on? Hate the term "Barnie" [Re: beaversnipe] #6028349 11/14/15 12:48 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
The morality is, that there are way more hunters rolling in texas, and less and less public places.

There are over 100 separate public hunting areas within 2.5 hours drive from my home in north Dallas. I have been hunting public here well over 35 years and have never had a problem finding a place to hunt. And in those 35 years I would be lying if I said I have not had a hunt effected by "barnie", but I don't think I have ever had a waterfowl hunt I would consider ruined by "barnie". For local hunting I adapt and move both throughout the season and year to year as weather, wind, water level, access, and hunting pressure changes. If your not having success, or your hunt is being effected by other hunters, or your not having fun. Stop hunting there. It is that simple.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide