Re: How old do they live?? [Re: txtrophy85] #6020490 11/10/15 03:12 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Sombrerito Ranch typical shoots their trophy bucks at 9-10 yrs old and has for many years. Every ranch is different. The Cameron allowed no Moutain Lions to be killed ever when it was still under same ownership. They had a ton of coyotes on that ranch and those deer lived to that age under low fence and no feed for years. I would expect more deer to live that long if they were allowed to die of old age. I have a friend in the San Angelo area that has pictures of bucks that lived to be 14-15 yrs old on his ranch. HF? Yes, but native deer and fed protein. He never kills a top end buck and has numbers of bucks that are that age on his ranch every year. He allows them to die of old age with hopes they will breed one more doe each year.
Bucks and does were killed the first year I was managing that ranch and there were a lot of them that were aged as 7+ for age since it was impossible to tell how old they were at that point. Several had jawbones similar to the one I posted the pic of. They did shoot does every now and then. There was about 40 doe shot a year or so before I went to work there on that one pasture. So the does were managed from time to time. I know in the early 90's they shot them for 3 years or so then quit, other than a few meat hunters each season.
I think there are a lot of factors that will effect how long a deer can live. Weather, habitat, supplementation, minerals, etc all play a big part in survival.
Deer would be like humans with their teeth I would think. Some people loose their teeth early in life and others have a full set till they die. Diet effects both I would expect. Genetics could play a large part of it also. I think lack of late winter, post rut nutrition probably kills more bucks than anything else. They are run down, injured and easy pickings for coyotes.

Did they have a lot of mountain lions on the Cameron?

Yes a they radio collared a bunch in the late 80's or early 90's along the Nueces River drainage. I saw one set of tracks on the ranch while I was there working and hunting from the late 90's till mid 2000's. Never saw a lion but the manager on the Heradurra seen and tracked them regularly back then.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How old do they live?? [Re: tlk] #6020501 11/10/15 03:18 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: tlk
once more - I am not asking about individual bucks that live that long - it is like people - somebody lives to 100 years old every so often. I am referring to a herd of deer in one area on free range low fence that have a number of them living to 12 year old range. So individual examples of deer living that long is not what I am referring to.

The basis of my question is that there are some LF ranches claiming they let their herd bucks to to 12 years old - is that possible or probable? Can a large number of bucks live to that age considering tooth wear, preditors. etc? I do not claim to know the answer - I am just thinking from a common sense standpoint that seems highly unlikely. My mind can be changed but has to be hard facts and proof -

No one can answer that on a managed large LF ranch since most places are killing deer by 7-8 at the oldest. Culling early and annually on bucks and does keeps the ages young for their best genetics. Hard for a doe to see 6-7 on a well managed ranch if they are turning the doe herd over every 3 yrs. Bucks are killed when they see them based on age and class. If they make it past 7-8 then they may not be recognized to know them again when they are finally killed unless they have a mark of some kind.
The only way to answer that is to go to a very large ranch that has never been hunted. Tag a bunch of fawns every year for several years and watch them till you find them dead. No one knows the answer for sure. Like I posted above there are known age bucks on ranches that have pictures of them for many years.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How old do they live?? [Re: tlk] #6020599 11/10/15 04:01 AM
E
Enter Standman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I am curious as to thoughts on the odds of deer living until they are 10, 12, or even 14 years old? I am not talking about one in a rare case but a number of them in the same herd? And not deer in captivity but free range.

I have always read and been told that even on protein a deer's teeth will wear down to where they cannot chew and digest food well any longer. Assuming they don't get shot or killed by a predator, is it possible for a large number of them to live to those ages?

I'm curious as to why you're asking?

Re: How old do they live?? [Re: Enter Standman] #6020760 11/10/15 10:31 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
I am curious as to thoughts on the odds of deer living until they are 10, 12, or even 14 years old? I am not talking about one in a rare case but a number of them in the same herd? And not deer in captivity but free range.

I have always read and been told that even on protein a deer's teeth will wear down to where they cannot chew and digest food well any longer. Assuming they don't get shot or killed by a predator, is it possible for a large number of them to live to those ages?

I'm curious as to why you're asking?

As stated above because I know of some places that say they let a high number of their bucks go to those ages and was curious if that is even possible. As STX stated above it is hard to really determine unless it is a controlled situation. Was just curious if it is possible -

You can't fix stupid
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide