Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: When to Shoot Does? [Re: Bluemangroup] #6019188 11/09/15 03:53 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I think people focus on the genetics of 1 buck too much. That buck, unless you brought in genetics, was born and bred from the deer on your property his genetics are already out there and what that one deer does or doesn't breed is going to have little effect on your deer.

I prefer to shoot later in the season as it keeps the pressure down on our hunting setups. Nothing like trying to hunt your mature buck late in the season out of a blind that's already had 10 deer shot out of it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: When to Shoot Does? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6019199 11/09/15 03:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: kpg4923
As I understand it, it really doesn't matter. If you have 4 does and they are all pregnant and you shoot one post rut, you will have 3 fawns in June. If you take the same four does and shoot one before the rut you will have 3 fawns in June. If they are not all getting pregnant and you shoot one pre rut, she may or may not have bred. But she will be one less doe to breed. So whats the difference?

Shoot them when its legal.

The difference is your bucks won't have expended energy breeding her. Also, if you cut down the number of does coming in to season, you increase the odds that they get bred by the dominant buck.

Those bucks will now also expend more energy fighting off more competition for fewer does and then covering more ground to find receptive does. This all leads to more broken up racks and crippled up bucks. It can work for you or against you depending on the ranch and past management.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: When to Shoot Does? [Re: Bluemangroup] #6021217 11/10/15 04:20 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
we hunt deep south tx as well. not as far south as the junco, but we're pretty far down there. just east of Hebbronville. our rut is also vary late, and our fawns are born pretty late. we still have fawns where the spots havn't completely faded. the doe is still bagging, and fawn probably nursing to some extent yet even though they will also browse. you will come across any number of arguments about when to shoot does related to rutting activity and or killing does that have already been bred, etc, and on that you probably have to do whatever makes the most sense to you.

but I would side with ranchman on waiting at least until after thanksgiving before shooting does just because it does give that fawn extra time with the doe. since fawns that far south are born so late, and since mother nature is pretty ruthless down there, I can't help but believe that extra couple weeks gives those fawns better survival to maturity.

also redchevy is right too about putting too much hunting pressure on your stands killing does before you get serious about your buck hunting. the more your hunting pressure increases...shooting does, shooting spikes, shooting hogs, etc...the more shooting goes on the more your bucks will become elusive and start avoiding those stands.

those two things I'd say are for certain, the rest....I dunno.

does are also usually easier to harvest...when you do start shooting them, maybe try to not shoot so many of them out of your regular stands. use a tripod or pop-up blind and try using a road feeder to just corn some roads or senderos and spread the shooting around. try not to shoot so many directly under the feeder even though that is the easiest place to get them.

Outdoorsman
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide