Forums46
Topics538,727
Posts9,740,518
Members87,107
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: sparrish8] #6011020 11/04/15 09:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: sparrish8
Read about Arizonas parks depts. Grand plan to save the bighorns the mountain lions are killing them as quick as they release them, LO are there only hope as the control the predators and hunters on there property because they know whats best for there particular property

AZ is doing something right. They've got a bunch of desert bighorns.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6011025 11/04/15 10:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: sparrish8
Read about Arizonas parks depts. Grand plan to save the bighorns the mountain lions are killing them as quick as they release them, LO are there only hope as the control the predators and hunters on there property because they know whats best for there particular property

AZ is doing something right. They've got a bunch of desert bighorns.

Declared war on the lions. Very very liberal season and quota

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6011290 11/05/15 12:10 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: therancher
My intellect??

That's all you got? Calling me an ahole and demeaning my intellect?

You tell me what I should interpret when it's blatantly obvious you have no clue and and can't catch a clue even when I detailed it for you.

Here you go, just to break your post apart and break you. You are certainly arguing to argue by putting words in my mouth, which is the definition of trolling.

Read this slow and read it twice: I detailed for you that I participated in virtually identical programs here in Texas, that Kansas offers. Tpwd does in fact have those programs in place. I learned after one year that John Q. Public just wants a practically free place to hunt, and treats your land like a dump, trashes it, and then stands back like you and calls it a travesty that they can't just walk into any land they want and hunt.

And I asked above (which you didn't read) why did you participate in the program in the first place if you were worried about government intrusion on your private land. I also said above (which you didn't read) that no one is forcing anyone in Texas or Kansas to do these programs (coercion), so your choice and it is the personal choice of many Kansas land owners it is a beneficial and good program for them.

Of course based on the fact that Texas already has Kansas type incentives, I was correct in assuming you want to adopt more coercive tactics. But you don't want to see yourself as that guy. TS. You are that guy.

Texas does not have the exact same program as Kansas! The main difference is that in Kansas it is a very open and transparent program widespread in adoption and application. The land owners like it and the public hunters like it. There is very clear documentation, mapping, signage, etc. There is no coercion, how in the hell can a state FORCE you into the program if you don't want to?

It's real obvious you don't have a clue what sweat equity in a private ranch is.

You don't know jack about me, I owned land in Kansas and now own land in Oklahoma. I do all the work myself.

And you and others here want $40 access to animals worth 10's of thousands of dollars. I personally am tickled pink that people like you (who consider private land ownership a travesty), won't ever see that happen on private land in Texas.

Where did I ever say that private land ownership is a travesty? Where did I ever say private land owners should be coerced into a public program like this?

You have 12 hours to find exactly where I said that.

When you say the lack of public access to private land/hunting is a travesty, you are for all intents and purposes stating that private land ownership is a travesty. A third grader could understand that. Much less than 12 hours.

Texas has a program where they pay landowners a pittance for public access to private land. Over 800,000 acres are supposedly included. Maps/documentation etc just like you said Kansas has. I'll bet it's pretty similar to Kansas's program (except you gotta pay a whole 40+ Bucks for the pass... Which I'm sure wads you up since you seem to want free access). State employees aren't known for their creative business acumen.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/

Look Rob, I know you don't like me pointing out the facts about you. But don't blame me. Look at what you're saying. It's really pretty simple. Sad, but really simple.

Last edited by therancher; 11/05/15 12:15 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6011632 11/05/15 02:55 AM
T
TTT Ranch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
If any of you would like to see some desert bighorn photos from my families property, send me a PM and I'll text them to you and you can post them. I'm not very good at posting photos. I have several taken by Texas parks and wildlife from helicopter and a few pics of kills.

Last edited by David Taylor Construction; 11/05/15 02:56 AM.
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: therancher] #6011953 11/05/15 12:14 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Look Rob, I know you don't like me pointing out the facts about you. But don't blame me. Look at what you're saying. It's really pretty simple. Sad, but really simple.

calling you an idiot gives you too much credit. no wonder you are so grouchy and lash out, I would be too if I lacked the competence to function normally in this world.

my points have consistently been in this thread...

• more hunting opportuntities in Texas would be beneficial to sportsman.
  • public lands should allow public hunting opportunities.
  • optional land owner programs for public hunters has been successful in Kansas.
  • I believe ultimately in land owner rights, but give them an option if they want to participate.
  • no land owner should be coerced to do anything they don't want to do.

so since you are arguing with me so violently it must mean you don't want to promote hunting to more sportsman, public lands don't need more public access, land owners shouldn't be given the option to participate in a public program, and land owners should be coerced into doing something they don't want to do.

since I don't think anyone else in this thread would disagree with my main bulleted points above, must mean you are the only kook in the thread that doesn't agree.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: TTT Ranch] #6011954 11/05/15 12:15 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: busouthpaw22
If any of you would like to see some desert bighorn photos from my families property, send me a PM and I'll text them to you and you can post them. I'm not very good at posting photos. I have several taken by Texas parks and wildlife from helicopter and a few pics of kills.

PM sent.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6012179 11/05/15 02:37 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

calling you an idiot gives you too much credit. no wonder you are so grouchy and lash out, I would be too if I lacked the competence to function normally in this world.

my points have consistently been in this thread...

• more hunting opportuntities in Texas would be beneficial to sportsman.
  • optional land owner programs for public hunters has been successful in Kansas.
  • I believe ultimately in land owner rights, but give them an option if they want to participate.

so since you are arguing with me so violently it must mean you don't want to promote hunting to more sportsman, public lands don't need more public access, land owners shouldn't be given the option to participate in a public program, and land owners should be coerced into doing something they don't want to do.

since I don't think anyone else in this thread would disagree with my main bulleted points above, must mean you are the only kook in the thread that doesn't agree.

Arguing violently? I don't even know what that means.

I'm just making sure you wear what you wrote.

You forgot the most important bullet point. The one that negates most of your others.

You stated you think it's a travesty that Texas doesn't offer more public access to private land.

Then, you used Kansas as a successful example. When I pointed out that Texas in fact has more private land in public programs, and then properly deduced from that, you must mean a more NM style Gestapo system (since you think we are a travesty, while doing more than Kansas), you lost your mind.

I put 6400 acres in that program one year. I submit I've done MUCH more than you promoting public hunting on private land.

And you shouldn't think that me making sure you own your statements is "violently arguing". Just put your big boy pants on and own your words.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: therancher] #6012303 11/05/15 03:41 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You stated you think it's a travesty that Texas doesn't offer more public access to private land.

Then, you used Kansas as a successful example. When I pointed out that Texas in fact has more private land in public programs, and then properly deduced from that,

how many acres of Texas private land has public hunting access?

you must mean a more NM style Gestapo system (since you think we are a travesty, while doing more than Kansas), you lost your mind.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6012342 11/05/15 04:08 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Then, you used Kansas as a successful example. When I pointed out that Texas in fact has more private land in public programs, and then properly deduced from that,

you must mean a more NM style Gestapo system (since you think we are a travesty, while doing more than Kansas), you lost your mind.

Rob, Texas has a state lease program I think you would have to have the TPWD public land booklet to figure it out total acerage. There is a bunch but it's mainly bird hunting, which is similar to KS

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6012371 11/05/15 04:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The Kansas WIHA program is only working (in the areas I hunt) since the farmers hate any deer or pronghorn eating their cash crops. The LO's are not interested in game management, public access or success in hunting. They are interested in the money they can get and the hope that every deer dies eating their crops. It works because the farmers have not figured out they can make more money leasing to individual hunters, where they would make more money. They do not care how they get the money as long as the numbers dwindle on game on their crops.
I heard of 2 instances this year where the LO up there were killing deer out of season(12 IIRC on one guy) and another one shooting pronghorns(shooting males instead of females, which make no sense to deplete pop numbers). They have some State Park lands that I tried to hunt early in the ML season but you do not want to be on there on weekends when the numbers of orange vests are out in force and the lead is flying. From what I have seen up there, once deer season starts in Sept the deer never stop running until Jan. The low numbers in Western Kansas are pressured very hard on public lands in those areas with minimal cover.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: stxranchman] #6012423 11/05/15 04:44 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
The Kansas WIHA program is only working (in the areas I hunt) since the farmers hate any deer or pronghorn eating their cash crops. The LO's are not interested in game management, public access or success in hunting. They are interested in the money they can get and the hope that every deer dies eating their crops. It works because the farmers have not figured out they can make more money leasing to individual hunters, where they would make more money. They do not care how they get the money as long as the numbers dwindle on game on their crops.
I heard of 2 instances this year where the LO up there were killing deer out of season(12 IIRC on one guy) and another one shooting pronghorns(shooting males instead of females, which make no sense to deplete pop numbers). They have some State Park lands that I tried to hunt early in the ML season but you do not want to be on there on weekends when the numbers of orange vests are out in force and the lead is flying. From what I have seen up there, once deer season starts in Sept the deer never stop running until Jan. The low numbers in Western Kansas are pressured very hard on public lands in those areas with minimal cover.

Yes. Free market capitalist system or mutually beneficial or win-win. laugh Couple years ago I tried to get lease in Eastern Kansas and it seems the brokers have already found the arbitrage potential. It wasn't Illinois $40-80 per acre numbers, but it was pushing $20-30.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: therancher] #6012436 11/05/15 04:49 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Texas has a program where they pay landowners a pittance for public access to private land. Over 800,000 acres are supposedly included.

this is incorrect! just like about everything else you have posted.

Texas has 900,000 acres available for public access hunting, but most of it is State hunting land, State leased land, and Federal leased land. Only a minority % is private land.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6012444 11/05/15 04:55 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
This is the following from Kansas, they have over 1,000,000 private acres that are in the public hunting program.

Quote:
The walk-in hunting access (WIHA) program kicked off in 1995 in an effort to enhance the strong Kansas hunting heritage by providing hunting access to private property. The program has grown to one of the most successful access programs in the country. By 2004, over 1 million acres were enrolled in the program providing countless opportunities for sportsmen to pursue their favorite game at no additional charge.

FYI Texas is 172 million acres, Kansas is 53 million acres.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6012455 11/05/15 04:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yes. Free market capitalist system or mutually beneficial or win-win. laugh Couple years ago I tried to get lease in Eastern Kansas and it seems the brokers have already found the arbitrage potential. It wasn't Illinois $40-80 per acre numbers, but it was pushing $20-30.

Since you owned land in Kansas, I am sure you leased to WIHA program since you are such a strong advocate of allowing public access to private lands? popcorn

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6012458 11/05/15 05:00 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Texas has a program where they pay landowners a pittance for public access to private land. Over 800,000 acres are supposedly included.

Texas has 900,000 acres available for public access hunting, but most of it is State hunting land, State leased land, and Federal leased land. Only a minority % is private land.

That's bc they only want to give the landowners a fraction of its lease value. There used to be a lot more in our area, but $6-10/ac with caps in people accessing it sounds a lot better than $1.50-3/ac with no idea on who will access it/screw it up.

***disclaimer, it's not DBH habitat, but could probably be made that way..they'd be the biggest, fattest, laziest DBH walking the earth.

Last edited by rifleman; 11/05/15 05:03 PM.
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: rifleman] #6012460 11/05/15 05:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman

That's bc they only want to give the landowners a fraction of its lease value. There used to be a lot more in our area, but $6-10/ac with caps in people accessing it sounds a lot better than $1.50-3/ac with no idea on who will access it/screw it up.

Shame on the private landowner for trying to make a living. Hanging my head down and walking away in shame of the greedy landowners.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6012461 11/05/15 05:02 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Rob, Texas has a state lease program I think you would have to have the TPWD public land booklet to figure it out total acerage. There is a bunch but it's mainly bird hunting, which is similar to KS

The state says it's over 800,000 acres. I posted that number and a link to the statement. If he doesn't know it, then he doesn't want to.

I see they call them "walk in" permits now. I guess they didn't like losing me and other ranchers because of misuse.

I'm sure rob will decide since they charge a whole 49 dollars it's not "the same as Kansas" since I proved we have just as much land in a similar program.

Last edited by therancher; 11/05/15 05:10 PM.
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: stxranchman] #6012475 11/05/15 05:13 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Shame on the private landowner for trying to make a living. Hanging my head down and walking away in shame of the greedy landowners.

Govt just better get competitive on pricing or acreage will continue to dwindle. A lot around here just got absorbed by established hunting clubs. Nothing wrong with it and usually better managed.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: rifleman] #6012480 11/05/15 05:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Govt just better get competitive on pricing or acreage will continue to dwindle. A lot around here just got absorbed by established hunting clubs. Nothing wrong with it and usually better managed.

Because they are getting more money, they have something at stake.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6012490 11/05/15 05:22 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
More like the leasees are paying more money and have more stake in it so they take better care of it. The Corporate owners aren't very hands-on...just don't mess with their trees and they'll go along with just about anything the board of directors for the leases want.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: stxranchman] #6012493 11/05/15 05:23 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Since you owned land in Kansas, I am sure you leased to WIHA program since you are such a strong advocate of allowing public access to private lands? popcorn

It is a perfectly free market with no coercion (as rifleman claims), why in the heck would I want to lease land for public hunting when I bought the land just for my own hunting use? I have said numerous times in the thread that each landowner can decide for themselves.

To counter your argument with a home run, I do lease both properties for grazing/hay, so just like a non-hunting farmer leases the hunting off, I leased the grass off.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6012500 11/05/15 05:26 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

It is a perfectly free market with no coercion (as rifleman claims), why in the heck would I want to lease land for public hunting when I bought the land just for my own hunting use? I have said numerous times in the thread that each landowner can decide for themselves.

To counter your argument with a home run, I do lease both properties for grazing/hay, so just like a non-hunting farmer leases the hunting off, I leased the grass off.

Most of the KS leases are in CRP also correct?

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6012501 11/05/15 05:26 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Speaks volumes that you promote one way then do the complete opposite with you own property.
Yeah I am sure all the free public access from grazing/hay leases pleased John Q. Public a ton. So being you advocate public access, can I move my cattle up there since you have already leased out? Mean that is what you are doing, correct? Yeah, you really hit a home run on that limp-armed swing. rolleyes

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6012505 11/05/15 05:27 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Most of the KS leases are in CRP also correct?

No some are fallow land, stubble, or standing crops. They are paid according to amount of cover IIRC.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: rifleman] #6012507 11/05/15 05:28 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

***disclaimer, it's not DBH habitat, but could probably be made that way..they'd be the biggest, fattest, laziest DBH walking the earth.

I agree. Now I'm curious what Kansas pays, but I don't think that much more and their acerage has more potential private lease value ($20-30 ac) than down here. So part of it land owners don't know the hunting value of their land, CRP up there (not like it use to be) and Oil down here means less motivation for other minor revenue streams that might just mean more headaches. I have no idea why Kansas does better with the program than Texas, but that goes back to my very first post that maybe Texas could do better (without coercion!).

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide