Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,755
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6007485 11/03/15 02:19 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
75-90k range.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: therancher] #6007677 11/03/15 03:35 AM
F
fishdog Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: therancher
[quote=fishdog]

Why is it a "travesty" for there not to be a lot of public access to animals on private land? You do know that 99+% of Texas land is private?

Well I'll start with 2 reasons

1. Texas has other huntable populations of bighorn sheep they arent allowing access too. Over 200 sheep have been released on Big Bend Ranch State Park.... no hunting allowed.

2. American conservation model is built on the principal that the goverment holds the game in trust for the people. If the goverment is issuing landowner tags to the landowners to sell, arent they essentially selling our property without any benefit to the public?
Other states manage landowner tags in a way that benifits both landowner and the public. If a landower allows acces for x number of hunters, then in turn he will recive x number of landowner tags to sell.

Seems to be a pretty fair system

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6007707 11/03/15 03:50 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Why is it a "travesty" for there not to be a lot of public access to animals on private land? You do know that 99+% of Texas land is private?

I would agree it is travesty that Texas doesn't have more public hunting land. Most states have pretty extensive public hunting areas.

Then by all means beat a hasty path to those other states. And hunt those public lands. I think it's a travesty that those states are mostly govt owned.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6007715 11/03/15 03:52 AM
F
fishdog Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Well if only the king can hunt the kings deer soon there will be no hunters....

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6007719 11/03/15 03:54 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: fishdog
[quote=fishdog]

1. Texas has other huntable populations of bighorn sheep they arent allowing access too. Over 200 sheep have been released on Big Bend Ranch State Park.... no hunting allowed.

2. American conservation model is built on the principal that the goverment holds the game in trust for the people. If the goverment is issuing landowner tags to the landowners to sell, arent they essentially selling our property without any benefit to the public?
Other states manage landowner tags in a way that benifits both landowner and the public. If a landower allows acces for x number of hunters, then in turn he will recive x number of landowner tags to sell.

I don't think you want to compare the success of the "American conservation model" with the success of the "Texas conservation model".

Our model has produced populations of trophy game from all over the world at levels never seen in the history of the planet. While the fed can't find it's azz with both hands.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6007724 11/03/15 03:55 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

And nothing could be further from the truth.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: therancher] #6007738 11/03/15 04:00 AM
F
fishdog Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F

Prove me wrong.... look at the low number of hunters and hunters rights in Europe....

Last edited by fishdog; 11/03/15 04:13 AM.
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6007752 11/03/15 04:11 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Prove me wrong.... look at the low number of hunters and hunters rights in Europe....

Most European hunting is cheaper than hunting here. Their culture is their issue with low numbers, not cost.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: therancher] #6008057 11/03/15 01:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
[quote=fishdog]

I don't think you want to compare the success of the "American conservation model" with the success of the "Texas conservation model".

Our model has produced populations of trophy game from all over the world at levels never seen in the history of the planet. While the fed can't find it's azz with both hands.

Maybe if you call a bunch of imported exotics "trophy game". Most hunters don't really give a rip about exotics.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 11/03/15 01:29 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008069 11/03/15 01:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
[quote=fishdog]

Every state in the Union has land owner tags.

Big bend is a federal matter not state.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6008072 11/03/15 01:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
[quote=fishdog]

Maybe if you call a bunch of imported exotics "trophy game". Most hunters don't really give a rip about exotics.

Which ever way you want to spin it, same principles apply to every native big game animal we have in North America.

Breeding, Relocation, predator control and protection.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Rob Lay] #6008080 11/03/15 01:39 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I would agree it is travesty that Texas doesn't have more public hunting land. Most states have pretty extensive public hunting areas.

That's a lesson in TX history not one of travesty.

The Federal lands out west where taken when they went into state hood.

Texas was already deeded and its own country. The federal lands we have were bought and or traded not Taken. Doesn't mean much now apparently but I'm sure if you had your lands ripped out from under you now you wouldn't be so happy.

For the record Texas still has the cheapest NR and Resident draw system in the US

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008083 11/03/15 01:40 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think he was talking about Big Bend State Park.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008088 11/03/15 01:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't even get your point unless you are trying to start a debate on some other subject. There's no "spin". The U.S. and state conservation agencies are charged with re-populating and managing native animals. They don't have anything to do with exotics.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008096 11/03/15 01:47 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

This is The US, No body will stop you from becoming a king. But since you contemplating a TX LO sheep tag, you are circumventing in many cases a life time state draw system of many states, so more likely then anything most already see you as a king.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6008098 11/03/15 01:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

That's a lesson in TX history not one of travesty.

The Federal lands out west where taken when they went into state hood.

Texas was already deeded and its own country. The federal lands we have were bought and or traded not Taken. Doesn't mean much now apparently but I'm sure if you had your lands ripped out from under you now you wouldn't be so happy.

For the record Texas still has the cheapest NR and Resident draw system in the US

Because there are not enough desired species of animals to be a revenue source anyway. The demand ain't there. I agree that on the few hunts there is demand for, TX is leaving revenue on the table for no good reason.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 11/03/15 01:55 PM.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6008100 11/03/15 01:50 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

This is The US, No body will stop you from becoming a king. But since you contemplating a TX LO sheep tag, you are circumventing in many cases a life time state draw system of many states, so more likely then anything most already see you as a king.

He's not "circumventing" anything. All the states have a mix of draw and auction tags.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6008108 11/03/15 01:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I don't even get your point unless you are trying to start a debate on some other subject. There's no "spin". The U.S. and state conservation agencies are charged with re-populating and managing native animals. They don't have anything to do with exotics.

Its the same practice that re-established Whitetails through out the US, same practice the re-established elk in NM, TX, AZ, KY, Okla, KS, AR, same practice in subspecies of Bighorns, same practice in Wild Turkeys, etc

Look again on where the true funds and man power came from.... It's heavily favored in private donors and LO's.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6008114 11/03/15 01:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Its the same practice that re-established Whitetails through out the US, same practice the re-established elk in NM, TX, AZ, KY, Okla, KS, AR, same practice in subspecies of Bighorns, same practice in Wild Turkeys, etc

Look again on where the true funds and man power came from.... It's heavily favored in private donors and LO's.

I'm not arguing with you. All I'm saying is those practices are not used by Fed/State agencies for non-native animals. It doesn't even occur in most places other than TX that having a bunch of exotics running around might be desirable.

Thank God.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6008117 11/03/15 02:01 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

He's not "circumventing" anything. All the states have a mix of draw and auction tags.

He is circumventing the draw. I have done it every year for past 8 years. You want to argue the perception of LO, Governor, etc tags? You can't make a king statement and not look into the mirror when you discussing "buying" a sheep tag.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6008128 11/03/15 02:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
F

He is circumventing the draw. I have done it every year for past 8 years. You want to argue the perception of LO, Governor, etc tags? You can't make a king statement and not look into the mirror when you discussing "buying" a sheep tag.

You are conflating two different things in order to get some sort of "class envy" thing going. Whatever they go for, those tags are available to all comers (unlike when the "King" ruled - which was his point). And those $$ benefit the heck out of us lowly folks too by putting sheep on the mountain.

The auction/LO tag $$ are a direct reason there was a tag available for me to draw in AZ. Those "kings" are one of the main reasons there can even be a draw system. So I'll thank them, rather than let envy cause me to be negative towards them.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 11/03/15 02:16 PM.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6008174 11/03/15 02:37 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I'm not arguing with you. All I'm saying is those practices are not used by Fed/State agencies for non-native animals. It doesn't even occur in most places other than TX that having a bunch of exotics running around might be desirable.

Thank God.

Serria Diablo
Lava-beds National monument enclosure
Arizona -Somora Desert Musem collation facilities
Serra Nevada BH recovery Facility

I can keep going...... Same model.

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: fishdog] #6008204 11/03/15 02:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Lol it's not being negative towards any one, nor class envy. I am one of them apparently. I get issued LO tags, I buy LO in other states and don't allow public access on my 37

With that said again!!!! it's hard for Fishdude to make a king statement when he is discussing buying an 80k tag to circumvent a $10 draw.

His king comment was about private land

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6008238 11/03/15 03:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Lol it's not being negative towards any one, nor class envy. I am one of them apparently. I get issued LO tags, I buy LO in other states and don't allow public access on my 37

With that said again!!!! it's hard for Fishdude to make a king statement when he is discussing buying an 80k tag to circumvent a $10 draw.

Well, thank you too then. smile

Re: Texas Desert Bighorn landowner tags [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6008242 11/03/15 03:12 PM
F
fishdog Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F

It was about the private land, but it was also about the current state if hunting becoming more exclusive and less accessable. The comment was also made directly to someone who was complaining about public land/ public game, but who makes his living selling hunts on a private ranch.

Yes, i totally understand LO tags circumvent the draw. Not really sure why that and the king statment have anything to do with each other.

Thats the problem with these threads.... theres like 3 diffrent tangents being discussed at once.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide