Forums46
Topics538,069
Posts9,732,616
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: Cowboy9215] #5961780 10/05/15 03:09 PM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Cowboy9215
The arrows are woverines and i wanna say the have 3050 on them. I dont know wgat that means but it dont have a specific weight or anything listed on the arrow. The broad heads i used were a 100gr. Do you think it would help if i tried 125gr. It would slow the arrow down a bit more but give it more of a punch when it connects

I would stick with the 100gr, but I would use a different broadhead. Try Gravediggers broadheads. Gravediggers broadheads are hybrid...fixed and mechanical.

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #5961788 10/05/15 03:18 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
My advice after reading your post is to maybe put the bow down this season and pick up your rifle and redeem yourself and hopefully have a sucessful season. Meanwhile work on getting better equipment and getting more proficient with your shooting. 3 to 5 inch groups at 25 yrds is not what I would call ready to shoot at deer. You should also work to get your bow tuned properly where it is zeroed in with all and any broadheads you choose to shot. Not trying to discourage you from bowhunting, it is all I do anymore. But it can be very difficult yet rewarding. Also keep in mind timing while on the hunt. Sometimes I may pass on a shot because I know I may not have enough time to track an animal if I have to leave that same day. Always make every effort to find your deer before giving up. Good luck.

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: Cowboy9215] #5961845 10/05/15 03:51 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
sounds like a liver shot which can take a little longer to kill. Back out next time and giver her some time. Don't get discouraged though.. it happens to the best of us. Me, several times before I got it right!

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: Cowboy9215] #5961906 10/05/15 04:38 PM
BigBucky2014 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I agree with the liver shot verdict. It's hard to mistake a lung hit. I will almost always have bubbles in the blood on your arrow. The blood will seem frothy. I also agree that you need to tune your bow. Arrows with broadheads shouldn't fly crazy. I might also suggest that you need to upgrade your bow. Since you mentioned that your hunting partner was your father in law, I'm assuming you are married which makes you an adult. Don't shoot an undersized bow. Go to a good archery shop and they can tell you what the appropriate size, draw length, etc is for your frame. You can find some good used bows for reasonable $$ if that's the issue. I'm not poking fun and I hope you aren't taking it that way. You owe it to the game you hunt to hunt with adequate equipment. My 2 pennies.

Keith

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: TFF Caribou] #5962517 10/05/15 10:09 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
No need to pile on the kid.

I don't know too many kids with a father in law.

🍻
Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #5963018 10/06/15 02:03 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Thundervee
No need to pile on the kid.

I don't know too many kids with a father in law.

I realized that earlier today. Didn't click at first that he said father in law. I never figured a grown man would be shooting a youth bow.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: Cowboy9215] #5963069 10/06/15 02:23 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Most the time its the shot and not the equipment... angles play a big roll in this and can be deceiving.. No reason to be down on yourself though even a youth crossbow has plenty of umf to get the job done and the blood dont lie.. you would have seen bright red and usually bubbles and spongey chunks if you had hit lungs. Something that most seem to be overlooking is someone new to bow hunting no matter what age is still learning.. we have all had it happen and the ones who deny it or say give up still have so much to learn no matter their age. i hit a doe a few years ago that I thought shoulda been dead within 50 yrds but i tracked her for 300 and lost blood... live and learn pick your head up figure out what you may have done wrong and adjust... best advice i can give you is stop thinking so much, relax, have fun, and practice.

Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: Cowboy9215] #5963070 10/06/15 02:23 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Good Luck with your hunting. The highs of hunting when you have successis awrsome. However the lows from injuring an animal or not finding it can be very hard. Helpful hints, use lighted nocs so you can find your arrow. Once you find the arrow study the color of fluid on the arrow before you track. If you gut shoot a deer and cant find it go to the closest watering hole the next day and look. There is also a void in deer if you hit them high they will likely survive if nit for infection. The animals blood will clot after 100 yards so be careful not to push a deer before it dies. Pinkish blood is lungs, dark red can be liver, blood clear fluid and gunk is gut. There are several guides online to read that will help. If in doubt wait to track. I wish you the best of luck.

Big Beckett!!
Re: stuck my first doe but no luck funding her [Re: TFF Caribou] #5963106 10/06/15 02:34 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

I realized that earlier today. Didn't click at first that he said father in law. I never figured a grown man would be shooting a youth bow.
Just caught that myself too. Could explain A LOT!!! Like the draw length does not fit, etc. etc....
I know when I started, my bow was set at 52lbs. But it also had no let off. Wasn't a such thing back in 85!!! BUT, it was fitted to fit me and I could group arrows very well with it and that was shooting fingers, no release. Kilt a lot of deer with that bow.
But I hate liver shots. I've made 2 over the years. It is a lethal shot, but usually doesn't leave a very good blood trail and that was with a pass thru. On one, I was lucky enough to hear the deer fall. Found the deer, but not one drop of blood. The 2nd, went a long, long way. Waited over 3 hours before looking, found where it had laid down, but got back up, backed out for the night and found it 100 yds later the next morning.
So now, if I even expect a liver shot, I back out and wait till next day, that is, if the temps are on my side.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide