Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Neck Size Bushing Question [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #5950256 09/28/15 03:00 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
You forgot the best one...Whidden Gunworks. His dies are the best I've used so far. Also, Harrells Precision makes pretty good dies, they require you to send 3 pieces of fired brass to get you the right die though.

I have used Hornady (I don't like their decapper in their match dies), Redding, Whidden and Harrells. If I was to buy a new die tomorrow I'm going to try to get a Whidden die first.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Neck Size Bushing Question [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #5950419 09/28/15 04:13 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
So with the bushing sizing die the expander ball doesn't control the inside diameter of the sized case? It seems kind of a wrong-headed way of going about things because cases necks vary in thickness so controlling the outside diameter could result in different IDs. Different size expander balls would make more sense to me.

Last edited by postoak; 09/28/15 06:27 PM. Reason: Changed "size" to "thickness"

Re: Neck Size Bushing Question [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #5950530 09/28/15 05:10 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
That is another way of doing things...I don't have expander balls in my bushing dies. I also will turn necks if things get way out of whack...just to make sure the necks are the same thickness. I also attempt not to use crappy brass. Most everything I shoot is Lapua brass.

Some guys I shoot against use a bushing die to go just a thousandth or two tighter than they want, then run an expander mandrel down every neck. I don't buy into that as much because I have the feeling it's over working the brass.

Multiple ways to skin a cat but the important part is make sure your neck tension are consistant. I use Wilson inline dies on a press with a hydraulic indictor on how much pressure it takes to seat the bullet...then group like tensioned shells.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Neck Size Bushing Question [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #5951006 09/28/15 09:15 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Postoak, you have a good point about case neck wall thickness and not using an expander ball in a bushing die. If you turn all your necks to the same thickness, then it doesn't matter, but if you get a bunch of brass with thick neck walls and don't turn them, you'll need a different bushing if you don't use the expander ball. The last batch of Lapua I got had thick neck walls, or at least they were a good bit thicker than what I had been using, which wasn't Lapua. It's no big deal if you know what to expect and you have a full set of bushings.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Neck Size Bushing Question [Re: Judd] #5951657 09/29/15 02:23 AM
B
Branden Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Judd
That is another way of doing things...I don't have expander balls in my bushing dies. I also will turn necks if things get way out of whack...just to make sure the necks are the same thickness. I also attempt not to use crappy brass. Most everything I shoot is Lapua brass.

Some guys I shoot against use a bushing die to go just a thousandth or two tighter than they want, then run an expander mandrel down every neck. I don't buy into that as much because I have the feeling it's over working the brass.

Multiple ways to skin a cat but the important part is make sure your neck tension are consistant. I use Wilson inline dies on a press with a hydraulic indictor on how much pressure it takes to seat the bullet...then group like tensioned shells.
I use a Mandrel only on brand new brass and a free float carbine expander ball on fired brass. Like stated above cheap brass can give you problems, I use Lapua on almost all my brass. Something else I do is put lapping compound in the VLD seating steam and put a VLD bullet in a drill and sticking in the the steam for a second, then clean it out with degreaser and in stall it in your die.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide