Forums46
Topics538,091
Posts9,732,881
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: cyphertext] #5918544 09/08/15 07:49 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: cyphertext
Originally Posted By: whitewing maniac
Having it open on a weekend would also be better for my son... wouldn't have to miss school. We would be able to leave Friday after school, hunt Saturday, Sunday, and morning on Monday before we would need to head back.

Because of it opening on a Tuesday this year, he didn't get to go for the opener.

As the song goes "can't always get what you want".

Good attitude to have towards kids and hunting... why worry about the kids and the future of the sport? I'm certain that my son was not the only one that missed out this year.

Can't change which day Christmas and New Years falls on either

Youth Only Dove Season maybe?

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918556 09/08/15 07:57 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Who says you can't hunt with kids after school let's out. Most evening hunts the birds are not flying until 530 or later anyways. School let's out normally around what 330?

Also so what if you have to wait to take kids over the weekend and it's not opening day. Maybe your hunt won't be as good but that's fine...real hunters know there is more to hunting and a lot more to the enjoyment than the number of birds you take down. That might be a good lesson for kids to learn early. If you can't find a lot to appreciate even on a slow hunt then you are doing it wrong or have not matured as a hunter.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: 8pointdrop] #5918591 09/08/15 08:18 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Having it open on a weekend would also be better for my son... wouldn't have to miss school. We would be able to leave Friday after school, hunt Saturday, Sunday, and morning on Monday before we would need to head back.

Because of it opening on a Tuesday this year, he didn't get to go for the opener.

Good attitude to have towards kids and hunting... why worry about the kids and the future of the sport? I'm certain that my son was not the only one that missed out this year.

Y'all mean every year? This isn't new, it has ALWAYS started the first. No need to act like the future of hunting rests solely on labor day weekend. I'm still lost as to why people get so worked up over the opener, I like hunting when it's not 100° and other dove hunters have packed away their shotguns until next season.

Yes, I would like to see it open on a Saturday, every year, just like deer season. As I have already posted, opening day has always been my best day of dove hunting... I took my son out over the weekend and we didn't see anything. And again, dove hunting is more social for us... friends and family getting together. That is much easier on a weekend.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: ndhunter] #5918593 09/08/15 08:19 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ndhunter

Can't change which day Christmas and New Years falls on either

Youth Only Dove Season maybe?

Can't change those days, but not really relevant since the kids are out of school for two to three weeks around those days anyway.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Marcstar] #5918600 09/08/15 08:25 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Who says you can't hunt with kids after school let's out. Most evening hunts the birds are not flying until 530 or later anyways. School let's out normally around what 330?

Also so what if you have to wait to take kids over the weekend and it's not opening day. Maybe your hunt won't be as good but that's fine...real hunters know there is more to hunting and a lot more to the enjoyment than the number of birds you take down. That might be a good lesson for kids to learn early. If you can't find a lot to appreciate even on a slow hunt then you are doing it wrong or have not matured as a hunter.

You realize that not everyone lives where they walk out the back door to hunt, right? And with athletics and other activities, school is out at 4:20, and my son arrives home around 6:30 most days.

And slow hunts are fine, but suck when you see that everyone else that hunted on the lease on the first two days limited, and now there are no birds.

What the hell people, am I not entitled to have my opinion that I would prefer it to start on a weekend?

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918607 09/08/15 08:30 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I just don't think any of us believe 3 or 4 days makes that big of a deal. It's always been fine starting on the 1st and probably always will.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: 8pointdrop] #5918641 09/08/15 08:50 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I just don't think any of us believe 3 or 4 days makes that big of a deal. It's always been fine starting on the 1st and probably always will.

It makes a difference to those who couldn't get away to hunt during the middle of the week. And you can't argue that the hunting is just as good on the 5th day as it was on the 1st day... the field reports just don't bear that out.

Like I said, it is just a convenience thing for me and the group I hunt with. We typically have 10 or 11 of us out there when it happens to start later in the week, on a Friday or Saturday. This year, there were only 4 hunting opening morning. I made it there to hunt the evening. Another guy came in the next day. The rest couldn't get away. Dove hunting is typically pretty social for us, family and friends... but sucks when family and friends can't be there.

You are probably right, it probably won't change... but I wish it would.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: cyphertext] #5918685 09/08/15 09:12 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

You realize that not everyone lives where they walk out the back door to hunt, right? And with athletics and other activities, school is out at 4:20, and my son arrives home around 6:30 most days.

And slow hunts are fine, but suck when you see that everyone else that hunted on the lease on the first two days limited, and now there are no birds.

What the hell people, am I not entitled to have my opinion that I would prefer it to start on a weekend?

schools getting out at 4:20 everyday makes me giggle...and get a little hungry roflmao

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918690 09/08/15 09:13 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Sorry Cyphertext....I guess I just know the date won't change and my opinion is I'm ok with that since I make the necessary adjustments to still get in my hunts on the 1st. I really was just trying to go through some of the ways you might be able to still make the best of it. Sorry that I didn't put together a plan perfect for your situation.

Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918701 09/08/15 09:18 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Relax, it's just dove. Most people that shoot dove don't even hunt.

#sigline
Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918753 09/08/15 09:47 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I am going to be out of town this weekend so I'm going to ask that they change the teal opening day back from the 12th to the 15th just for me. Well it's not really for me it's for the children.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Marcstar] #5918818 09/08/15 10:33 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I am going to be out of town this weekend so I'm going to ask that they change the teal opening day back from the 12th to the 15th just for me. Well it's not really for me it's for the children.

Yeah, cause I am the only one that would like to see the date changed... whatever.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918831 09/08/15 10:41 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I think if maybe they opened it at noon on the first Friday of September would make for a nice long weekend of hunting and would allow everyone a better chance of not missing the first hunt. But certain years you could lose many days off the season

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918838 09/08/15 10:44 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
They should just not have a season. People would only hunt when the birds show up and quit when they leave.

#sigline
Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918846 09/08/15 10:50 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Who cares. Dove season is just a warm up for ducks anyhow.

#realhuntersdontcarewhatdayanddontcryaboutit

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5918871 09/08/15 11:09 PM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I just hope they dont ever put WR (wing restrictions for healthier bird population, to many young ones getting shot) in to effect. I heard they were thinking about it. My problem is how the heck am I going to tell how wide their wing spread is when I shoot them off the High Wire elmer

Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall. That smile says it all
[North Dakota -16degrees

"Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle."
- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: garrett] #5919090 09/09/15 01:19 AM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: garrett

schools getting out at 4:20 everyday makes me giggle...and get a little hungry roflmao

roflmao

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5919202 09/09/15 02:03 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Just cancel the season.

Think of the birds.

[Linked Image]

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: cyphertext] #5919336 09/09/15 03:03 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:
Can't change those days, but not really relevant since the kids are out of school for two to three weeks around those days anyway.

You should change your child's birthday each year to insure that it always falls on a Saturday

That work for you?

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: ndhunter] #5919432 09/09/15 04:03 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Quote:

You should change your child's birthday each year to insure that it always falls on a Saturday

That work for you?

Well smart [censored], actually his parties were always held on weekends to insure that his friends could come... most parents do this as well.

You guys do realize that deer season always starts on a Saturday, right? And this wasn't always the case... And back when I was a kid, we didn't start school until after Labor Day, so the start of dove season wasn't an issue then either.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5919439 09/09/15 04:05 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
So being a week in now, is your season pretty much over?

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: 8pointdrop] #5919446 09/09/15 04:13 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
So being a week in now, is your season pretty much over?

I don't know.... got on a second lease this year, so not sure if it will be any good later or not. There wasn't anything flying out there on Sunday. Didn't even hear many shots around us. But I don't know if it was any good for the opener either. We did see 3 deer and some turkey... to bad I am only on this lease for the first part of dove season.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: cyphertext] #5919589 09/09/15 12:20 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
The opener will be on Friday in 2017, Saturday in 2018, and Sunday in 2019

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: ndhunter] #5919615 09/09/15 12:44 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker

That work for you?

....... roflmao

Every year same question by a new crop of idiots..

News Flash to Topwaters: Dove season starts on Sept 1st. Get over it.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: Why not Dove open Sat. of Labor Day Weekend? [Re: Mathp] #5919648 09/09/15 01:20 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
the kids what about the kids..... good gravy, never seen so much whining.... it's SEPT 1.... The best day of the year, man up and pull your kid out of school like our dads did for us.....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide