W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: RedRaider13
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I have no doubt the antelope I saw that day were pronghorn, but yes while many ranches stock black buck I wouldn't think it would be impossible for them to stock pronghorn.

Could of been springbuck.

I think you made an identity mistake.

I don't see TPWD permiting them to be released in non core areas when the are currently full throttle on restocking efforts of the transpecos region.

I don't think those species look all that similar, and I don't think that i made a mistake. But for the sake of the conversation and to get this back on track... What would keep a rancher say in Lubbock or Pampa (just for example) from stalking pronghorn on his ranch? Just wondering if private landowners have the ability to help grow a stronger population of pronghorn? Or do we sit back and wait on the government to do it? Everyone and their dog can own a whitetail these days... What about a pronghorn. No, I'm not suggesting that we high fence antelope, that would be a whole nother topic of conversation lol

Red word threw me, you meant stocking?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906260 08/31/15 10:50 PM
R
RedRaider13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
Haha I've got a case of the Mondays, yes stocking.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906288 08/31/15 11:09 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Red stalkings? That's a new one.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906327 08/31/15 11:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
No reason to stock in non native areas when they are still trying to re-establish Trans Pecos herd. All relocation/stocking efforts are focused there. Nor would TPWD permit it l, literally

I personally don't think they would make it in Fredricksberg, way to many fences and not the type of habitat that benefits thier natural instincts.

Whitetaild are highly adaptable... Pronghorns not so much

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906354 09/01/15 12:00 AM
R
RedRaider13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
So land owner in the pandhandle, which could be argued to also be a native area for pronghorn, can do nothing to improve the pronghorn population. Good to know, I guess we will all sit and watch TPWD play around in the Trans Pecos and hope they are successful!

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906376 09/01/15 12:07 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Rocker B has some and also another group about 20 miles south of Sterling City on west side of the highway. Always up by the road (see pic on first page same group).

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: txbobcat] #5906406 09/01/15 12:16 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
Rocker B has some and also another group about 20 miles south of Sterling City on west side of the highway. Always up by the road (see pic on first page same group).

I'll have to start watching for that group, too.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906423 09/01/15 12:20 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
So land owner in the pandhandle, which could be argued to also be a native area for pronghorn, can do nothing to improve the pronghorn population. Good to know, I guess we will all sit and watch TPWD play around in the Trans Pecos and hope they are successful!

My ranch is in the panhandle. TPWD restock's using panhandle herd because it's so soild. The panhandle is historic native range.

Disease, predation and drought are the biggest limiting factors in Pronghorn on native historic range. All four growing seasons are covered in the panhandle with Ag, so really predation is the biggest impact and that is controlled on an individual ranch effort

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906534 09/01/15 01:04 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I don't think those species look all that similar, and I don't think that i made a mistake. But for the sake of the conversation and to get this back on track... What would keep a rancher say in Lubbock or Pampa (just for example) from stalking pronghorn on his ranch? Just wondering if private landowners have the ability to help grow a stronger population of pronghorn? Or do we sit back and wait on the government to do it? Everyone and their dog can own a whitetail these days... What about a pronghorn. No, I'm not suggesting that we high fence antelope, that would be a whole nother topic of conversation lol

Only way outside of a draw to get an PH Antelope permit is via biologist survey On private land.
Essentially unless you get issued a LO permit you ain't killing one legally. To move or relocate a pronghorn in Texas would require a permit from the state also

Thanks, but I wasn't asking how I can kill a pronghorn...We hunt pronghorn in Wyoming. I am asking if it is possible for landowners to provide appropriate habitat, introduce, and grow pronghorn in Texas. Just like a ranch might work to reintroduce deer or quail. Granted I do not know much about the process, hence why I asked the question. I must be the first person to have ever considered the concept.

You said it would require a permit to transport, so it might be possible...?

You are not the first person to have consider the concept for that species or any others. The biggest consideration would be habitat in any area Pronghorn would be re-stocked. Gillespie IMO would not be suitable habitat for Pronghorn and size of ranches would not be suitable. Same would be for trying to introduce Mule Deer or Pheasants into South Texas, not the same habitat they are used to living in. For a landowner in the right region to ask for a TTT permit to move Pronghorn he would have an on-sight evaluation of the habitat and if he qualified he would have to find a ranch willing to remove some Antelope. IMO it would not be possible for a ranch in Gillespie County to get a permit to re-stock Pronghorns?
What road did you see the "Pronghorn" on? Was it HF or LF?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906547 09/01/15 01:11 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Could a landowner bring in pronghorn from another state, and leave TPWD out of it?

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: Sneaky] #5906558 09/01/15 01:13 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Could a landowner bring in pronghorn from another state, and leave TPWD out of it?

No. State can but not general public.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5906574 09/01/15 01:20 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

No. State can but not general public.

TPWD controls what the Landowner can do on any restocking of any native game animals or birds in Texas off of private lands then moving to other private lands.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906656 09/01/15 01:53 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I saw a ranch outside of Fredericksburg that had them once, but didn't know if it was common. You never hear about people stocking pronghorns. Seems like it would be a good idea though

I have read stories of original Texas settlers and Rangers in the Mason area hunting what they only called antelope, I guess that would have to be pronghorn. They said they were so thick that you only had to shoot into the herd and you would get one.
I also remember a note about them in D'Hanis in Medina County.
Texas is a completely different state than it was back then.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: stxranchman] #5906747 09/01/15 02:29 AM
R
RedRaider13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Only way outside of a draw to get an PH Antelope permit is via biologist survey On private land.
Essentially unless you get issued a LO permit you ain't killing one legally. To move or relocate a pronghorn in Texas would require a permit from the state also

Thanks, but I wasn't asking how I can kill a pronghorn...We hunt pronghorn in Wyoming. I am asking if it is possible for landowners to provide appropriate habitat, introduce, and grow pronghorn in Texas. Just like a ranch might work to reintroduce deer or quail. Granted I do not know much about the process, hence why I asked the question. I must be the first person to have ever considered the concept.

You said it would require a permit to transport, so it might be possible...?

You are not the first person to have consider the concept for that species or any others. The biggest consideration would be habitat in any area Pronghorn would be re-stocked. Gillespie IMO would not be suitable habitat for Pronghorn and size of ranches would not be suitable. Same would be for trying to introduce Mule Deer or Pheasants into South Texas, not the same habitat they are used to living in. For a landowner in the right region to ask for a TTT permit to move Pronghorn he would have an on-sight evaluation of the habitat and if he qualified he would have to find a ranch willing to remove some Antelope. IMO it would not be possible for a ranch in Gillespie County to get a permit to re-stock Pronghorns?
What road did you see the "Pronghorn" on? Was it HF or LF?

It was back in 2013, I had gone with a friend down to his ranch west of Fredericksburg, it seemed like it was a 5-6' fence not really what I would consider a high fence. Unfortunately I was not and still am not that familiar with the area, so I can't pinpoint where it was. The only reason I remember it wat that they were right up on the road, and I thought they were very much out of place. I agree that that is not what I would consider to be a pronghorns home range, it was so odd that I never forgot it. I need to go back and see if I can find the ranch they were on. Anyway that was not at all the point of the discussion, but I guess it never hurts to chats a few rabbits now and then!
The point was could a landowner do anything to help the pronghorn expand their range. I think I've discovered through this forum, the answer is no. So we sit back as good Texans and let the government do their work.

Last edited by RedRaider13; 09/01/15 02:30 AM.
Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906762 09/01/15 02:35 AM
R
RedRaider13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
Where might one look to find good information on the stated wild game reintroduction efforts on the various species? I would enjoy learning more about the process. I had not heard of a TTT permit, it's an interesting topic.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906796 09/01/15 02:51 AM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
There use to be some between Wingate and Sweetwater, in the late 80s early 90s...don't know what ever happened to them...

Ed

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5906818 09/01/15 02:56 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I'm wondering if the OP might have seen some of the rarer gazelles like, Persian, Grant's, or Dorcas, all are missing the black stripe that's so obvious on Springbok and Thompson's gazelle.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: nsmike] #5907107 09/01/15 12:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: nsmike
I'm wondering if the OP might have seen some of the rarer gazelles like, Persian, Grant's, or Dorcas, all are missing the black stripe that's so obvious on Springbok and Thompson's gazelle.

Most likely I'm in Fredricksberg 20 plus times a year and infact I was there last Saturday, never seen pronghorn there. I just don't see anyone being permitted to get them there.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: 505ed] #5907125 09/01/15 12:53 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: 505ed
There use to be some between Wingate and Sweetwater, in the late 80s early 90s...don't know what ever happened to them...

Ed

There are more than most people realize between Snyder and Robert Lee. Along with mule deer. I20 seems to be a big hurdle for mule deer but I've seen several prong horn as far south as the white hat ranch between Blackwell and Robert Lee.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5907149 09/01/15 01:09 PM
R
RedRaider13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R

Most likely I'm in Fredricksberg 20 plus times a year and infact I was there last Saturday, never seen pronghorn there. I just don't see anyone being permitted to get them there.

Who the heck cares what I saw in Fredericksberg... Maybe it was an angus bull, an elk, hell maybe a unicorn. Lol Again that was not the question asked... But thanks

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5907151 09/01/15 01:13 PM
R
RedRaider13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
I know TPWD is working to stock Pronghorn in different areas in the state, but are any private landowners or organizations having success or even attempting to stock Pronghorn? Just curious.

^^^From the top, this was the question adked^^^
And we have decided the answer is No there have been no privately funded efforts. I appreciating everyone helping to clear this up!

Last edited by RedRaider13; 09/01/15 01:17 PM.
Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5907170 09/01/15 01:26 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Who the heck cares what I saw in Fredericksberg... Maybe it was an angus bull, an elk, hell maybe a unicorn. Lol Again that was not the question asked... But thanks

Lots of animals look similar to them from a fair especially in a place like Fredricksberg where it's got a bunch of exotics. Easy mistake.

But yes no private LO have the ability to start a PH breeding program. State manages pronghorn via survey tag allocation.

LO can plant Ag crops, add water, manage fawn cover and control predators.. About all we can do. Out side the rut the PH on my ranch make about an 7-8 mile circle every day to day in a half. I also have water, and year round Ag including winterwheat. They seldom go over a fence, they go under or around.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: 8pointdrop] #5908181 09/01/15 11:30 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Originally Posted By: 505ed

Ed

There are more than most people realize between Snyder and Robert Lee. Along with mule deer. I20 seems to be a big hurdle for mule deer but I've seen several prong horn as far south as the white hat ranch between Blackwell and Robert Lee.

There was a small herd near fluvana off US 84, some around lake Thomas, and some between Vincent and Big Springs. Another big herd between Vincent and Vealmore and on the Miller ranch north east of Gail.

Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5908909 09/02/15 01:02 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
When my grandfather started farming NE of Plainview back in the 30's, he told me in the winter, he had to break ice off the stock pond so the cattle could drink. But first, he had to shoo the antelope away. Growing up in Lubbock, I fished Buffalo Springs as much as my Dad or Grandad would take me. There was always a herd of them by the road right before the canyon.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Stocking Pronghorn [Re: RedRaider13] #5908929 09/02/15 01:18 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

ok, now it was a unicorn? there is no way you saw a unicorn. not in the hill country anyway.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide