Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898481 08/27/15 12:06 PM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
I'm 66 yrs. old and I learned to deer hunt in the timber company woods of northwest Louisiana leaned up against a tree with a Stevens bolt action 12 ga. and OO buck. Killed a lot of deer. Always believed in making myself a part of the woods. I didn't own camo for the first 10 yrs. I hunted. Closest thing to camo was my Air Force field jacket. I've been on "Big Time" high fence hunts with my son and the Texas Youth Hunting Program. This type of hunting is nice but I still prefer my old style. I don't have a lease. Now days if I get drawn for a public hunt that's how I hunt. Driving to the woods in my 1998 4-wheeler. Sitting real still in a lawn chair in a ground blind I made. Watching a trail or a scrape. I have some camo shirts, still wear jeans and now I shoot a 308 I bought from a divorced lady friend. I've never used any scents or a feeder. My clothes are washed in Tide. I still manage to get a deer now and then for my family to eat. I agree with the OP. Everybody is free to do their own thing but for me it's keep it simple and not complicated. Just as much fun and a whole lot cheaper.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: titan2232] #5898518 08/27/15 12:38 PM
P
PanhandleAggie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Example:

BIL: .257 Mag, muzzle break, nightforce, and entire gun coated desert camo to shoot deer @ 100 yards. Cost: $5,000

Me: .270 with a Nikon 4.5X14 to shoot the same distance. Cost: Not remotely close in comparison.

Would I like to have his set-up? Well hell yes. Do I need it? Not at all. It's all about priorities.

Exactly! I window shop all of the time but, 9 out of 10 times I stick with what I've got and thank God every day for it.

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: txshntr] #5898521 08/27/15 12:43 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: therancher
Awesome rant!

But I still accept the fact that some people need/want a different experience. And I'm fine with that.

I would agree. I have a buddy that shows up at the first of the season in the newest camo, has the latest bow, designer arrows, a bag full of gadgets and gimmicks, and he loves every minute of it. Says that he gets to start "hunting" before all the others. I don't think he can drive past a Cabela's or BPS without seeing what is on the shelves. More power to him

Exactly. We all do it differently and that is fine. I have little interest in the latest calibers and newest camo. I know what works for me and I don't need anyone's opinion on that.

CMC, this has to be one of the greatest posts ever on THF.

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898656 08/27/15 02:00 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I giggle when I'm at Academy, watching guys surveying all of the deer "attractants".

It's like watching a woman pick out the perfect pair of shoes.

http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/hunting/hog-hunting/attractants

There must be 50+ to choose from. People keep buying it and the manufacturers keep coming up with attractive products / promotions.

Saw a commercial on this one last night with Michael Waddell pimping it.

[img]http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/evolved-...ildCatid=859499[/img]

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 08/27/15 02:01 PM.
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898664 08/27/15 02:05 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
up excellent write up! similar to my comment over in the 2015 CO elk discussion about making things too complicated or making a big production out of packing and what to take. I like to keep things simple but I will probably over pack just in case.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: txshntr] #5898704 08/27/15 02:25 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Awesome rant!

But I still accept the fact that some people need/want a different experience. And I'm fine with that.

I would agree. I have a buddy that shows up at the first of the season in the newest camo, has the latest bow, designer arrows, a bag full of gadgets and gimmicks, and he loves every minute of it. Says that he gets to start "hunting" before all the others. I don't think he can drive past a Cabela's or BPS without seeing what is on the shelves. More power to him

Scooter? confused2

🍻
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898710 08/27/15 02:30 PM
T
Tru2lifetaxidermy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Love the write up. I have hunted both ways. Still use cameras cause I like the pics and feed to get those pics of all different animals. However, I also go to public lands all over the country to hunt and when I do its with minimal gear. A friend and I a few years ago had this same discussion while having some cold ones at camp. We decided to go "old school". Bought the red flannel shirt, Elmer fud hat and blue jeans. Went to SD antelope hunting with long bows/cedar arrows and old solid broad heads found on eBay. Spot and stalk hunt left us short on arrows and we flung enough arrows to make Ted nugent blush, did kill a damn thing but we had our chances. Most fun/memorable hunt I've ever been on!

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898772 08/27/15 03:02 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Actually I like it all - I enjoy browsing through Cabelas and Bass Pro - I enjoy buying hunting related gear. I watch a lot of hunting shows and read a lot of hunting information. But I also have hunted all my life and spend much time in the field and working on and at our deer lease. Have slept on the ground in the mountains and crawled up and down some bad a** mountains in all kinds of weather and conditions.

So I agree with your rant that at the end of the day it is about getting out and going hunting - but I also think the whole hunting experience is fun

You can't fix stupid
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: Choctaw] #5898794 08/27/15 03:14 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Awesome rant!

Exactly. We all do it differently and that is fine. I have little interest in the latest calibers and newest camo. I know what works for me and I don't need anyone's opinion on that.

Getting new stuff and decked out in new camo for the season opener is very similar to going out and buying a new outfit to wear to church on Easter Sunday. One trumps the other, but it's a special occasion for a lot of people.

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: rifleman] #5898806 08/27/15 03:18 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Awesome rant!

Getting new stuff and decked out in new camo for the season opener is very similar to going out and buying a new outfit to wear to church on Easter Sunday. One trumps the other, but it's a special occasion for a lot of people.

Those "people" you are talking about are women right?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898812 08/27/15 03:20 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Nope. I always grab a new camo outfit for season..may not wear it for 5 years, but I'll get it.

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898821 08/27/15 03:23 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
I only buy new camo outfit if my belly gets too big to fit in the old.

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898838 08/27/15 03:33 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Isnt there a song with a line that goes something like...

"Don't call what you're wearing an OUTFIT"

eek2

Last edited by redchevy; 08/27/15 03:34 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898846 08/27/15 03:37 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Good post, CMC!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5898971 08/27/15 04:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I like the "stuff" as much as anybody. I'm just not under the illusion it is all that important in getting game in the scheme of things.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5899068 08/27/15 06:12 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It's all about the money!
I started out hunting in jeans and a flannel shirt, usually red/black plaid shirts to be seen so you didn't get shot. Wasn't much camo to be had but plenty of field jackets around.
No four wheelers, or fancy deer stands, just wooden steps nailed to the trunk of a tree, and some boards nailed into the tree to sit on.
It was simple and my rifle was a surplus .303 British picked up for around $13.00 at the local Fed Mart.
We killed a lot of deer back then!
BTW..I still have that .303 British and I could hunt with it today if I wanted to.

Last edited by Jimbo; 08/27/15 06:17 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #5899411 08/27/15 09:52 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Thundervee
Awesome rant!

Scooter? confused2

roflmao

No Dave and CMC know my give a ... Switch is Broke roflmao

Great write up Chris!!

You will never share a more enjoyable time in the field than you do with CMC, love Hunting with him..and his Brother is a Dear friend of mine also..

The difference in CMC and and some.. He practices what he preaches trust me unlike SOME on here, he's earned a right to be critical and he's Respectful and Courteous and not condescending of people's choices of Hunting Methods up

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: Jimbo] #5899429 08/27/15 10:00 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
It's all about the money!
I started out hunting in jeans and a flannel shirt, usually red/black plaid shirts to be seen so you didn't get shot. Wasn't much camo to be had but plenty of field jackets around.
No four wheelers, or fancy deer stands, just wooden steps nailed to the trunk of a tree, and some boards nailed into the tree to sit on.
It was simple and my rifle was a surplus .303 British picked up for around $13.00 at the local Fed Mart.
We killed a lot of deer back then!
BTW..I still have that .303 British and I could hunt with it today if I wanted to.

All Pops ever used was a old .303 Jimbo, camo is overrated up

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5899775 08/28/15 12:37 AM
Deep Sea Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I just spent $266 on Amazon on gear for the CO elk hunt. Most was for safety, survival, cold weather gear and most I could do without. At the same time, 1k miles from home in cold and unfamiliar territory is not where I want to skimp too much. Probably would have when I was in my teens. I actually did trips similar to CMC's except not hunting (wasn't quite into that yet) and similarly equipped. As in I had nothing more than what I left the house with or that was left in my truck. Spent many a nights out in the Washington mts without even a sleeping bag. Good times, as are all the times I am out in the woods.

Scott Eastty
AW Scott Construction Company
Bastrop, TX
512-845-0187
For all your metal building needs, state wide.
www.acscott.com
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5900543 08/28/15 02:35 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Excellent post! I started out buying all the "right stuff" fortunately there wasn't all that much "stuff" back then... Over time I learned what I was doing and didn't need the "stuff" anymore. It's funny look at all the animals Chuck Adams took back in the 70's and 80's. He wore a flannel shirt and his stocking cap...never wore camo anything. He does today but that's just sponsor money.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: dogcatcher] #5900591 08/28/15 03:00 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana

banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana

X2

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: Deep Sea] #5900702 08/28/15 04:02 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Deep Sea
I just spent $266 on Amazon on gear for the CO elk hunt. Most was for safety, survival, cold weather gear and most I could do without. At the same time, 1k miles from home in cold and unfamiliar territory is not where I want to skimp too much. Probably would have when I was in my teens. I actually did trips similar to CMC's except not hunting (wasn't quite into that yet) and similarly equipped. As in I had nothing more than what I left the house with or that was left in my truck. Spent many a nights out in the Washington mts without even a sleeping bag. Good times, as are all the times I am out in the woods.

Sometimes it's necessary. Some places it's just not worth going in with nothing, search and rescue won't know where to find you in time.

Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5900709 08/28/15 04:06 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Well played Sir! cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5900912 08/28/15 06:04 PM
E
Emmett Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Awesome post, thanks for sharing.

Psalm 121
82nd Airborne Division. 3/504 PIR, Recon
Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc] #5901213 08/28/15 08:30 PM
Opening Day Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Very true. I don't mind watching Tiffany hunt though.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide